Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge Dakota Crew Cab - II

Comments

• Options
    yank2yank2 Member Posts: 49
    Themacguy you have the same set up I have. I was wondering if you or anybody else with the same set up rear howls when you let up on the gas. It seems louder then any other truck I have had. Thanks for any input.
  • Options
    flamingo26flamingo26 Member Posts: 10
    I'm sure this may have been discussed before, but i don't know the answer. How much, if any, does 3.92 affect mpg vs 3.55. I don't presently have anything to tow, but hope to someday and want to be prepared. I recently ordered a 4.7L 4x2 slt auto. Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    themacguythemacguy Member Posts: 417
    Haven't noticed any 'howl' as of yet, but I've just changed my rear-end over to a 3.21. I'll re=check it today. Back to you tonite. By the way, my tires were the P2325/R15's (an option on the 7" stock wheels). Now I'm running fatter HR's.

As for mpg - 3.92 vs. 3.55 vs. 3.21 - the jury's still out. Haven't heard many 'huge' differences on these posts other than the 5.9 vs. 4.7. That seems to be the widest gap here. Including (oddly) the 4X4 models - they are NOT much of a penalty it seems. You'd think the bigger variance in mpg (Quads only) would be between the: 3.9/5-spd/2wd/3.55 & the 5.9/auto/4X4/3.92, and it is. The v-6 gets about what the 4.7 does. But in the mid-range 4.7, all combos are reasonably close (within a couple mpg either way) unless driven hard, as I do. Mine was averaging 14.5 in town & 16.9 hwy (at 70mph). But I drive pretty 'quickly.'

Recently, I've installed -- at HUGE expense so as not to void my warranty -- a 3.21 non-lsd rear ratio. Results to follow... but as of now are not very promising. Don't anybody try this for a bit!
  • Options
    jcody1jcody1 Member Posts: 58
    How can an automatic tranny work without a torque convertor? What would allow slippage? Such as when you are idle, in drive, not moving?
  • Options
    How can an automatic tranny work without a torque convertor? What would allow slippage? Such as when you are idle, in drive, not moving?
  • Options
    db7700db7700 Member Posts: 12
    When you removed the decals with a hair dryer, did it affect your clear coat in any way? My truck is black and I'm afraid I might mess up the clear coat. How hot do you get the decal before it peels off?
  • Options
    wilmar1wilmar1 Member Posts: 32
    yank2
    I have the rear-end howl when I let up on the gas. Been there since day one. Loud too. I have put off having the dealer check it out because they are not too sharp, and if it becomes necessary to work on the differential I'm afraid it would make matters worse. Have had previous experience with the dealer, and I'm not at all confident the outcome wouldn't be worse than simply driving it as is. Needs to be checked out; if you do please post the result. Thanks. Bill
  • Options
    tgr1tgr1 Member Posts: 92
    has 5500 miles now. Ordered 11/7, built 12/3, shipped 12/8, took delivery 12/27, and I love it.
    I've had the rear end howl since nearly new, but it isn't too bad. Maybe I'm just getting used to it. Since I put a Dynomax muffler on, I cant hear much else anyway. I get 14.6 mpg suburban city, about 1 mpg less than I got in my '97 V-6 Dakota Club Cab. Not bad, considering there's no performance comparison, and since I had to use 93 octane in my V-6 to keep it from knocking.
    As for the decals, use a blowdryer on high, and hold it up to the decal, about an inch or two away, for 15-20 seconds or so, and you should be able to peel it with a fingernail. Do one letter at a time. Use wd-40 and a clean soft rag to remove the glue residue. Absolutely no effect on the clear coat. A sign guy I know removes and installs decals of all types for a Dealer, and I learned from him.
  • Options
    bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    YES THERE IS A TORQUE CONVERTER!!
    It also has torque multiplication and an electronic clutch for the 'lock up' function.

I will refer to the service manual to see if the fluid is 'drainable' I doubt that it is. There is little reason to change a fluid that is sealed so well that no contaminants can enter it.

Some modern automatic Xmissions have no provision for changing the fluid either... again, the unit is sealed so well from the factory there is no reason for it. (I believe the ford Focus may have a xmission such as this)
  • Options
    cowtownkidcowtownkid Member Posts: 43
    I also wondered about this while driving on Saturday... at 1/8th of a tank the light and bell warning engaged, I filled up and the tank only held 18 gallons. Also during this fill up I recorded 14.5 mgg. Mostly city, about 25% highway, this with 4.7/auto/3.92 anti-spin. Squeaking drivers seat has almost disappeared on its own, I am going to see if it works itself out before taking to the dealer. Has anyone noticed the awkward design regarding the console lid with the bucket seats? Man, there is no way to retrieve anything from the console while driving...very hazardous.

cowtownkid
  • Options
    yank2 - no howl on the 3.21 / didn't notice it on the 3.55 either- probably be putting the 3.55's back in soon anyway, will check again.

cowtownkid - your mileage is the same as my 3.55 was, (now a 3.21 and not much different either). My biggest pet peeve to date (outside of the dealer not putting double-sided tape on my tailgate 'protector') is that $%#@ low-fuel sound. AND it happens - right on the money - at 1/8 tank. Drives me nuts! %$#@ D/C engineers... :-I
  • Options
    hillflahillfla Member Posts: 90
    Hi-
    I just bought a 4.7, auto, SLT plus, quad cab this past weekend. Believe it or not I am giving up a 98 Camaro Z28 for this truck and so far I love it! I have a couple of minor questions if anyone can help me out here.
    1 - What is the 'clip' for on the overhead console? i did not get the trip computer so instead I have this crazy clip that cannot hold anything! Does anyone know if I can remove it and put something else in its place?
    2 - I bought a truck off the dealer's lot and as such was not able to get all the options I wanted - one of those being the fog lights. Mopar offers fog lights - does anyone recommend that or what should I do? I really like the look with the fog lights installed.

Thanks for all your postings on Edmunds. i have been reading them for a while and they really helped me when I went to buy this truck.
  • Options
    snowedinsnowedin Member Posts: 58
    -for those interested, the replacement of the seat rail assembly solved the squeak (power bench). had it installed today and so far so good.
    -my low fuel light/sound always comes on @ 1/4 tank even though the owner's manual says 3 gallons. my second tank (almost empty) got me 13.69mpg (4.7L,3.55lsd,4x4,80% city). looks like the third tank will be less. surprising since i consciously tried to keep my foot out of the throttle. oh well, no complaints :}
  • Options
    my local PEP Boys said they will have the Westin nerf bars in stock for the 2k Quads within a month.
  • Options
    ozarkozark Member Posts: 124
    Yeah I noticed the bad design of the center console too but I am sort of into my picking apart mode right now so I am finding out the negatives. Mostly small annoying things like the console. I am thinking about installing a cd changer in the console. I can't figure out anyplace else to put one. Will have to drill through the console to secure mounting and I can't bring myself to do it or let the radio man do it yet.

My 4x4 4.7 5spd 3.55 still getting mostly 17mpg at 3000 miles. This is mostly interstate and rural hilly roads. Very little city driving.

snowedin, local truck acces. place tells me the same things about the Westin bars. Do you think they will help entry into the 4x4 with the big tires or are they just for looks? Have you looked at fiberglass or molded steps like Starboards or Lund? They look a little more practical but not as cool. What you think?
  • Options
    andy_jordanandy_jordan Member Posts: 764
    3.55 vs 3.92 mpg differences.

Well, I am not going to go into all the calculations because - well I can't remember all the ratios, but essentially the 3.92 is 10.4% lower than the 3.55, so (all other things being equal) the revs will be 10.4% higher - 104rpm per 1000.

This doesn't mean that the fuel consumption will be 10.4% greater though, you have to factor in the gearing, % of driving at different rpms, blah, blah, blah. Are you starting to see why I can't be bothered to work it all out??

Bottom line, expect 0.5 - 1 mpg difference max for the average driver / journey.

Fuel dong (hey, lets be fair - its more of a ding than a dong), does come on at 1/8th of a tank. BUT, that doesn't mean that you have 1/8th of a tank left. All cars have a little reserve capacity for various technical and consumer reasons (technically difficult to accurately measure the amount of fuel when the tank is nearly empty because it sloshes around so much; consumers are inherently dumb, if you actually told them that there was more gas than they thought then they would try and make it to the next gas station that was 0.1c cheaper).

As a result reckon on the guage reading empty when there is still 1 1/2 - 2 gallons left.
  • Options
    stvdmanstvdman Member Posts: 62
    Like most of you I am streching here to find gripes and complaints with this truck, I think it is primarily that this truck is so DAMN convenient. Its a quick-people moving-towing-hauling-good looking-economical-TRUCK! Its hard to find faults with something that does so much but here I go. #1 those gosh darn seat belts in the back, especially the drivers rear side. Everytime I flip the seat up and then back down the seat belt latch dissapears, I hate that especially since I talk this truck up so much and to have someone try to get in the back and have to "fish" around for that seat belt lock sucks.
    #2 GAS LOW WARNING. Just like everyone else 1/8 tank BING,BING,BING but when I fill it up it only takes 18 gallons. HMMM 24 gallon tank minus 18 equals 6 gallons left, that is a 1/4 tank left in my book so my gauge is off and the owners manual lied about there being only 3 gallons left when the warning chimes in. #3 dont even bother trying to use the storage bin between the front buckets, its reminds me of a volcano in its build design, little at the top and gradually gets bigger on the way down. It needs to be re-designed. Other than that I must say I am completely satisfied with this thing, got me 19mpg this past weekend on a highway trip doing 70-75 mph. not too shabby. SSL (sorry so long) I guess thats how Ill end all my posts from now on.
  • Options
    stvdmanstvdman Member Posts: 62
    The QUAD basically uses most of the same components as the regular and club cab dakotas right? Well I know the Quad has a larger fuel tank by four gallons 20 VS 24 right? What if the same low fuel warning system was used for both tank sizes, could that account for the Quads having almost 6 gallons left instead of three. I know it doesnt come out exact but if the sensor went off at 1/5 of a tank for both, the 20 gallon tank would have almost four gallons left and the 24 gallon tank would have just about six gallons left. Because when the light does go off and I fill her up I actually put 18.3 to 18.7 gallons in, if I add this to the five gallons left I come real close to the 24 gallons the tank should hold. Now all I need to know is how much fuel the regular or club cabs take on when their fuel warning lights come on. I am going to guess it would be between 15.8 and 16.8, 4/5th of a tank leaving 1/5 as the low fuel warning amount? So my hypothesis is that they used the same warning sensor and they need to recalibrate a different one for the QUADS. Do I have too much time on my hands or what. SSL
  • Options
    tpmiller1tpmiller1 Member Posts: 165
    I think you're right on about the warning sensor, however we need themacguy's final mathematical workup before officially stamping correct - LOL.
  • Options
    ferousferous Member Posts: 226
    For those asking how (slr9589-Stehen Richard) I am getting 20+ miles to the gallon with my 4.7 5spd, read on.
    1) I have a 2 wheel drive Quad.
    2) " " the 3.55lsd rear end.
    3) " drive 43 miles (one way) to work. Most of it is a two lane state highway with little passing room. Three small towns to slow down for, and a total of 2 stop signs and 11 traffic lights. So my average speed is around 50 MPH.
    I keep it in 5th gear, and that's how I'm getting 20+ MPG.
    P.S. With the cruise set at 35 MPH (speed trap zone), the computer tells me I'm getting 34 MPG.
  • Options
    pomycpomyc Member Posts: 28
    I just bought the CC and the fuel tank is actually 22 gals. in capacity. The low fuel warning activates on my truck at 1/8 of a tank. Upon filling at 1/8 of a tank I can get about 18 gals into the tank. So... Mine is not too far off what is stated in the owners manual.
  • Options
    andy_jordanandy_jordan Member Posts: 764
    but I have 82 liter capacity (just to be different) - its the 21st century version of 22 (US) gallons.

Just to throw a real curve ball in there I got 82.4 liters in once, it was below the red line and I don't recommend it. I was determined to get as much as gas as possible in though as my wife's company gas card was paying!!
  • Options
    bigal31bigal31 Member Posts: 189
    Bing,bing.only 2..I let mine go a while after bing,bing.Between 1/8 and empty it is always the same 20-21 gallons there MUST be 3-4 left.Pretty simple right.
    Is it just me or are we running out of things to complain about? I think that is a good thing.
    Allen-
  • Options
    wilmar1wilmar1 Member Posts: 32
    Never have to worry about the low fuel light. Just let my wife have the truck, on occasion, and it always comes back with a full tank. Try to schedule it at 1/2 tank because I know she will fill it. She loves to drive it, so I have no problem finding an excuse to "loan" it to her.
  • Options
    You are one blessed individual.
  • Options
    natdmannnatdmann Member Posts: 21
    I guess we have to really try and find something to complain about. UMMMMMM hey, have you noticed that the sound the tailgate makes when closing isnt really a nice dull THUNK, it kinda goes clank, which isnt really too trucky. Is that stretching it? I must apologize for that but I guess I am too tired of singing this trucks praises. SSL
  • Options
    gbilhimergbilhimer Member Posts: 53
    I see that Airaid is developing an intake with a K&N filter for the Dakota and Durangos.
    I e-mailed them about availability and was told approximately 4 weeks and they would be shipping.
    I was told the price is yet to be determined.
    has anybody out there done anything other than modify the stock airbox? I can't help but think a air intake and a good cat-back exhaust should boost the HP even more!
  • Options
    tuckmiddletuckmiddle Member Posts: 37
    Just turned 6,000; purchased off the lot first week of January. 4x4, 4.7, 3.55, multi-speed, LSD, big tires, GEM tonneau, cat-back Flowmaster, K&N.
    Except for an occasional "slam" in the auto trans, everything has been super. Like better than 16.5 hwy and 14 in-town, but that's life. The auto clunk comes upon giving it some throttle about 15-20 mph, after decellerating for stop light and it changes to green. Maybe it doesn't know which second gear to choose, I don't know. One of my friends was ready to eject out of this bad boy it startled him so much. Been in ice, storm and used FWD about 1/4 of the 100 mile trip through the boonies to get to our house in N. GA to get the stove turned on to keep temp above freezing. Followed four other guys on 10 mile detour, dirt roads, field and whatever. The rubbing of the ice covered branches had me worried, but the paint job didn't have a scratch.
    Towed 12 foot u-haul twice, about 400 miles total and didn't even know it was there. Used O/D cutoff, like they recommend. 3,000 rpm max at about 60 to 65. Haven't been above 90, solid as a rock, and I was a Chevy guy too!
    Switched to Mobil 1 at 2,500 cause I love the stuff and it also did away with the yellow crud in the oil filler neck.
    Got Grizzly push and brush bar and it looks great. Ordered step bars in Jan, they're not in a big hurry to make them, I guess.
    Be careful out there.
  • Options
    I looked at the Starboards as well as the molded side steps shown in the Dodge truck accessories catalogue (I couldn't find the Lund for the Quad cab). I'm not sure which would be more functional as a step for the 4x4 w/ the larger tires. The advantage of the Westin nerf bars is unlike the $500-$600 price tag for the others, $189.99 will get you a pair (black finish). Also, didn't someone post long ago that the molded running boards tend to act as skis in the deep snow? Regardless, I can't justify the extra cost (even though the molded steps look great) so I'll most likely install the Westins.
  • Options
    Hey, that electrical stuff is bpeebles or henne's area: I only deal with 'lies, damned lies and statistics.' :-O
  • Options
    I ordered a pair of chrome 2 stepers for my Quad over the weekend. Should arrive here today or tomorrow.
  • Options
    I ordered the black ones,but have to wait till early next week. Let me know how they turn out..Looks and installation (difficulty).Although I don't expect any.
    Allen-
  • Options
    ozarkozark Member Posts: 124
    keep us informed about the Westin install. Maybe you all could post pictures in our new owner club site. That would be cool. ;-]
  • Options
    grad57grad57 Member Posts: 7
    Just wanted to let everyone know there is a long wait for the Mopar Moulded Side Steps. I ordered the truck 02/14/00 and dealer ordered Bed Rails,Wheel Flares, and the Moulded Boards on the same day. The Rails and Flares came real soon but the Boards were put on backorder. Dealer called them when my truck left on railcar and again the day the truck arrived at dealer and could not even get them to commit to a possible date. There was a fellow that installs Starboards at the dealer the day my truck the day my truck arrived. He told me he could be back in one week with the Starboards and install them. I told him to go ahead and we are more than happy with them. Our truck is 2WD SLT Bronze and Driftwood. Used Driftwood Flares and Boards and looks very sharp.
  • Options
    jpwoodrowjpwoodrow Member Posts: 7
    There was a message from the dealer on my answering machine yesterday. It said my Quad was being shipped today. I checked with DC and they say it is waiting for allocation. I guess I must be getting a Quad kit. I wonder how much I will save by building it myself?
  • Options
    did you order fully assembled or the model kit? This is a fine print option that many overlook. I'm not sure what the "default" is.
    I suspect tomorrow the Doc will be calling to tell you you're a little bit pregnant...
    Do let us know.
  • Options
    badassbobbadassbob Member Posts: 78
    Please dont drill on the Quad...Hearing those words kinda gives me the same sensation of chewing aluminum foil or getting my teeth drilled at the dentis office...Instead...Go to Lowes Hardware and buy a Roll of Velcro Tape...A few pieces on the back of the CD Changer and a few peices on the inside of the console and BINGO...a no drill alternative to mounting that you will play hell trying to separate the Changer from the inside of the Colsole...Ive done it with an Alpine unit in my wifes TransAm and will do the same in my Quad this weekend....Works like a charm ....Hope this helps...

Chad
  • Options
    OK I lied...my third tank actually improved (4.7L,3.55lsd,4x4,tire and handling)to 14.75mpg. This was mostly (80%) city/suburban driving with the remainder freeway. Also, all four tires were inflated from the factory at 42psi. I have now reduced the pressure to "light load" settings at 30psi. and will see how/if this affects the mileage.
  • Options
    colbatescolbates Member Posts: 37
    I've seen several posts about people calling DC to check on thier ordered quad cab. I just ordered mine last Monday. Now, what number do I call? What information do I need before calling? How often should I call? Is there a web interface for this? Thanks in advance for the info.

BTW: I ordered a green automatic 4wd QC SLT with 4.7 engine. Extras: skid plates, split rear window, and body mouldings. Ordered from carorder.com
  • Options
    colbatescolbates Member Posts: 37
    and Good to hear about your success with your order.
  • Options
    poolman57poolman57 Member Posts: 16
    Well, I went to my local dealer this morning and had squeaky seat fixed....... after I went in last week to get the problem assessed and the correct parts ordered. Appearantly the problem was in the seat frame rails (tracking, or something like that)..... the part the seat bolts to which, in turn, bolts to the floor.

Bought my quad a K&N air filter, $44 and some change. It's the some model as last years if you have the 5.9 litre so the '99 fits the '00.

By the way, there was another guy at the dealer this morning that had a quad also getting some rattle fixed from his back seat and we got to talking about mpg..... he said he gets 27 mpg on the highway, 20 in the city......V6, auto, 2wd, slt model...... I was astonished! Anyway, I told him about this little site because he seemed pretty proud of his quad like I am! Anyway, raod trip coming at the end of May..... Nashville to Dallas... looking forward to it!

Jeff
    5.9, auto, 3.92 lsd, 4WD, Sport, black, buckets, etc
  • Options
    zonkzonk Member Posts: 208
    Yeah, I hope the guy you met turns up on this board. I'd like to hear a lot more about his MPG and how he judges his truck's ability to accelerate in city traffic and get onto the interstates.
  • Options
    hennehenne Member Posts: 407
    i may be wrong about it, but i would swear i read in the tech manual that the multi speed tranny didnt have a lockup torque converter.

anybody else have a manual, i read it at the dealer one day (i thought)

robert
  • Options
    69rookie69rookie Member Posts: 2
    My 4wd, SLT QC should be here in a couple of days
    and I did not order the Tire & Handling Pkg. so I
    will have the smaller wheels and tires. I was wondering, when I upgrade the tires, what is the largest tires that I can fit without any modifications?

BTW-My first time to post and I just want to let all of you know this a great (and informative) discussion.
  • Options
    spike50spike50 Member Posts: 481
    If you go by the Dakota's tire and handling package, that uses the Goodyear 31-10.5-R-15 RT/S, the outside diameter of your tire should be in the 30.4 inch range. I'm sure that whatever you pick doesn't have to be exactly 30.4 inches.

I guess the other decision you have to make is what size wheels you want to run. Those Goodyears come on 15" x 8" wheels. Since you're starting over, you could go with 16" wheels. You loose some side wall and maybe some weight carrying ability but you probably could get a tire under the 31" diameter limit. This might not be the way to go since I see that you're getting a 4WD. Don't want to be cutting tires or busting wheels in the boonies.
  • Options
    bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    I OWN the DC factory shop manual. I have read the entire chapter on the 4 speed xmission. My last append was paraphrased from that document.

Feel free to read that chapter yourself...

The torque converter has TORQUE MULTIPLICATION and the electrically operated lockup clutch. This is a fully computer-controlled unit that actually CUTS ENGINE POWER during shifts to improve smoothness. It also has special features that use JUST ENOUGH hydraulic pressure to keep the clutches from slipping. (NO WASTED POWER which is lost as heat) The input and output shafts are constantly monitord for speed and the pressure is raised until the measured slippage is zero. This also allows the computer to 'ease' into the gear shifts. This makes re-programming the computer a new 'tool' in fixing problems or to improve shift patterns.

The DOWNSIDE is that since it is computer-controlled, it is subject to 'bugs' or 'glitches' like any software. It is virtually IMPOSSIBLE for programmers to consider EVERY POSSIBLE CONDITION.
  • Options
    poolman57 - if you see that guy again be sure to ask him who put the front towbar on his truck. I'd like one too...

69rookie = I got the 235X75's on the standard rims (15x7's) when I bought mine. Very good combo if you stay under 80-85mph (I don't). The chassis is a bit taller with the stock setup vs. T&H package, so I'd guess some pretty big tires and/or wheels would fit under there (17X9 RT's with 255X60's on mine). For 4X4 stuff I'm sure spike50's correct. Also, see previous posts by ozark, bpeebles, a_j and others... The Dakota web site (I forget the .com name) has a tire diameter calculator on it - pretty amazing - handles hundreds of different combos.
  • Options
    hennehenne Member Posts: 407
    i was under the impression that torque multiplication and a true torque converter were 2 different things, i dont have a book, i just had the oppertunity to look at one at the dealer one day.

i guess i misunderstood what torque multiplication was, thats for the correction.

robert
  • Options
    One nice day(few and far between) here in Up State NY.I was Going over cleaning,checking out with a fine tooth comb.I noticed a tear behind the driver side seat about1.5" long plus the molding between the front and back door came unstuck(on BOTH sides).You can see this if you look close.I tried to restick it, but its the type of tape(used to hold the rubber molding) that when it is used 1 time it can't be used again.EVERYONE go check it!
    Anyway they did order me a new seat cover and installed it($308.00)Lucky I didn't have to pay!Can you believe 6 weeks before I noticed?In my defense I don't sit in the back and that's where I was when I saw it.
    As far as this Rubber molding,they had to order me new ones.I told them to just glue them back on but the owner wouldn't let them.I'm not sure why.
    The moral of this story....No matter how excited you are when you get your quad,take time to look it over.Although I didn't get "screwed" for lack of a better word.I think they could have given me a hard time.I just thought I'd share that with anyone who cares..
    PS go out and look at that rubber molding(between the doors)you can see it with them closed.It's at the top.I have a feeling this might not be just my truck,as BOTH sides were coming off.
    I hope I am wrong about this.
    Allen-
  • Options
    aolsenaolsen Member Posts: 5
    Ordered Dak Quad last wk in Jan. Spend 5 weeks on CSX(Tracked railcar Daily). Hit railhead last Sat. Dealer HOT TAGGED the Quad. Dealer was told "Take a Number". 12 weeks and counting.
    What do u think.?... cancel the order.??... and take that pretty little blue NEON on the floor#@#$%^&(()... Maybe I can Squeeeeeeze a pressure treated deck into the hatch.
    Signed FRUSTRATED
This discussion has been closed.