Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2004-2009 Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    paxtonkpaxtonk Member Posts: 49
    I was just quoted 8.5%.
  • Options
    prusaprusa Member Posts: 43
    Can you give me the dealership's name where you bought it? I am shopping for a Prius and want a good deal like the one you got. PRUSA
  • Options
    krawitzmailkrawitzmail Member Posts: 7
    Toyota TV ad is advertising $2000 off "common packages."

Does anyone know what incentives, if any exist? None are listed on http://www.buyatoyota.com/home.aspx.
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    I think they simply lowered the MSRP of the packages by that amount from what they were before. The price reduction is already included on the sticker, so there are no additional incentives beyond that.
  • Options
    lowemissionlowemission Member Posts: 5
    Thats the same explanation I got. Originally package 6, for example, was something like 6550 and is now stickered at 4550. We are waiting for our vehicle which we picked up just under invoice. :shades:
  • Options
    kiki4mekiki4me Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I ran our credit report to get our credit scores - 675 and 710 respectively. We got to the Toyota dealer and when they ran out report they came up with 608 and 595 respectively. The scores were both from Experian and TransUnion. What gives?
  • Options
    How much did you pay for yours? Can you also give me the dealiship name, city and state and post? I went to a dealer near by and they wanted 28,000 for a package #6. I am glad I found this place "forum" so I can talk to wise individuals like you. I am ready to buy, but every dealer I visit quote me with a different price. Help me if you got a good deal, please. I am willing to drive 800 miles if necessary to get a good deal. I was told that the 2,000 is for when you get to do your taxes. What they do is give you a rebate the next time you do your taxes..and it depends on the package you get..now I hear you get it on the spot. It is nice to know this info.
    PRUSA
  • Options
    lowemissionlowemission Member Posts: 5
    I exclusively used the internet (edmunds.com, etc) to get initial internet quotes. I continued emailing those that gave a decent internet discount took my request seriously. After offering my business to both I decided to go with one I had dealt with before. We are waiting for our package 6 BASE model sometime this week. They did the deal for 25,500+ Tax & Tags. Took a little hit on the trade but I am very happy. Original MSRP was $27544 with matts not including tax and tags.

The $2000 discounts should already be listed on the sticker. It sounds like they were if thats the MSRP you got quoted. The tax credit is currently $787. That price sounds about right if its the MSRP. You just need to negotiate it down.

My advice, use the internet. It allows you to visit local and distant dealers. Then start negotiating! You should be able to get that car down quite a bit from 28 large.

I'll share the dealer (PA)info as soon as we have the car in possession.
  • Options
    florida_wenflorida_wen Member Posts: 29
    Hello prusa, see post #704 (a bit above) in this thread. We ordered (will be picking up any day now) our 2007 PRIUS Touring (package 5) from TOYOTA OF TAMPA BAY, Tampa, Florida. We are trading in a used vehicle and like many dealers they play "games" with the price of the NEW vehicle and the "trade-in price" !! This happened to us at several OTHER Toyota dealers we first visited, but when we went to this one (Toyota of Tampa Bay) it worked out that BOTH prices (new and trade-in) were in the range we all liked ;) !!
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "My wife and I ran our credit report to get our credit scores - 675 and 710 respectively. We got to the Toyota dealer and when they ran out report they came up with 608 and 595 respectively. The scores were both from Experian and TransUnion. What gives?"

Did the dealer actually show you the scores, or just tell you?
  • Options
    kiki4mekiki4me Member Posts: 2
    They printed out a form on the dealships' letterhead. We did not see anything that said it was from the three reporting agencies.
  • Options
    That was a good deal. I hope you can share the dealer information as soon as you get your car in possession. I live in GA, but have relatives in PA.

Has anyone from GA gotten a good deal yet? If so, would you please share your deal with me? I am going to keep looking until I get a good deal.
    PRUSA
  • Options
    seismo123seismo123 Member Posts: 8
    I'm so glad that I found this forum. I've wanted the Prius and like others, wondered why I couldn't ever find the $2000 discount for the Base + package #5. Now I know and finally, a dealer here told me today that it was already reduced on the option price. However, I found that the Base + option package #5 was not distributed in the 5 Gulfstate region. Also, the dealers in Houston are NOT interested in giving ANY discounts.
    I have 3 questions:
    1) When you buy a car across state lines, how do you pay taxes? In the state where you buy it or the state where it will be registered? Can you have it delivered to a dealer close to you or do you have get it from the dealer that you purchase it from?
    2) Also, though I haven't read all 717 posts, I am looking for a better deal than I will be able to get here.
    Suggestions? The best deal I saw here was in Carlsbad, CA. That's quite the drive. Anyone else get close to Invoice vs MSRP Near Houston, TX?
  • Options
    OK, as I read through this forum I realize how fully uneducated I am. I've never bought a New Car so this is new territory.
    Do you need to get an extended warranty for the Prius? Gap insurance? Needed? Does the alarm system that comes with package #5 need to be activated? It is a monthly charge? OY
    As a single woman, this is why I wanted to research everything online so I don't go to a dealership and get fed to the sharks.
  • Options
    greentea69greentea69 Member Posts: 6
    Hi,
    I was exactly in the same situation. I just negotiated for my first car in my life. As a single woman, I knew I had to prepare well to do it well. First, I have read http://www.carbuyingtips.com/carintro.html and studied. I emailed many dealerships in my area (Dallas, TX) and asked for the best offer for the car I wanted. I recommend you communicate with the internet department and you can start negotiating by e-mail and phone calls. The price went down but I knew it was still more than I had to offer so I went to the dealership. You cannot do everything by internet. You still have to go signing.

I brought the spreadsheet with me and I made an offer. They didn't take that price but later it came down closer to the price I wanted to offer so I stopped there and agreed to the price.

The best situation for you would be that you go in to the dealership with someone who is male in his 40, 50's. I went in by myself the day I negotiated the price, though.

I wouldn't get an extended warranty. I know it is very reliable car.
  • Options
    greentea69greentea69 Member Posts: 6
    Oh, one more thing, you can always order the car with your favorite options. You just have to find the right dealer who is willing to do it. You have wait for a month or two.
  • Options
    orindapriusorindaprius Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2007 with Option #2 for #21,569. It was basically the 'advertisement special of $2000' off MSRP so they said. They got pretty annoyed when I tried to bargain further and I was tired of looking around so I gave in.

Question about service and 'keeping the warrantee valid'. They tried (not too hard) to sell me a pre-paid service coupon book, covering all service until 55,000 mi, for $1350. Transferable, and refundable for portion not used. Sounded pretty good, but I passed (I can still buy it up until 5000mi). My question is, when I look in the service book, there's not much to do in there. But, just like on my Camry, when you ask the service guys, they have all this stuff they want to do at 15K and 30K, that is not in the book. Is this the scam it appears to be? It looks like mostly a bunch of oil changes and inspections of stuff that shouldn't break with less than 50K mi. Thoughts?
  • Options
    pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    Warranty
    You can purchase the extended warranty any time until the 3 year new car warranty expires. Getting it with the new car purchase is only a "good thing" if it helps due to the financing (cost is financed at a good rate). If not, then get it through Priuschat. A Toyota dealer will sell the warranty at a very good price through Priuschat contact. Under $1000 for the full "platinum" warranty. Just be aware, even the full extended warranty doesn't cover everything. Also, it's a Toyota. It's rare that something will go wrong. But it's your choice - $1000 for 7 years of peace of mind. Is it worth it to you?

Insurance
    Gap insurance is something you will have to decide on your own. It covers you on any money owing to the finance company if the vehicle is totalled, and the totalled value is less than you owe. If you are financing and the cost of gap insurance is low, it's probably worth it. I like the "full vehicle replacement" insurance for the first year, but not if it's really expensive. Be aware, it's a new vehicle, and you may be distracted more by it for the first while you drive it, and therefore more likely to get in an accident. Also, Prius doesn't depreciate a lot in the first few years, so gap insurance is less "effective" (there is a much smaller difference between write-off cost and new cost). Ask your insurance agent what the write-off value would be for a 3 yr old Prius.

Alarm
    If the package includes the alarm system, it will be turned on by the dealer (or the car will come with it turned on). Note that all Prius come with the alarm built in, it just has to be turned on. They can also add a Toyota "glass breakage sensor" to the existing alarm, and some dealers call that an alarm or an "enhanced" alarm. Once the alarm is activated there is no further charge. It is not like a "lojack" alarm system, that signals its' location. It just makes noise when tripped. Note that the vehicle comes with an "immobilizer" that doesn't have to be "turned on" - all Prius immobilizers work, even the base model. This ensures that only your fob will allow the car to be started. The only way to steal a Prius is to "flatbed" it (hawl it away on a truck).
  • Options
    .... They can also add a Toyota "glass breakage sensor" to the existing alarm, and some dealers call that an alarm or an "enhanced" alarm....

Does anyone know the TOYOTA PART NUMBER of this "glass breakage sensor" and how easy (or difficult) it is to install ?? :confuse: Thanks...........
  • Options
    kathyc1kathyc1 Member Posts: 138
    Seismo123, I don't know how it's done as far as states are concerned, but in L.A. county if you go across the ditch into Orange county to buy a car you get a letter from L.A. county that you owe the difference to them of the O.C. and L.A.C. tax. This is something I think is entirely unfair.
  • Options
    Lowest price in the southeast? I want to buy a Prius package #6. Actually, any other package is welcome. You can include the dealership name, city and state. Let me know your experience in getting the best deal.
  • Options
    pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    Just ask your friendly dealer parts dept. It just plugs in, but you do have to remove a dash panel to get to the wiring. It has to be "enabled" in the vehicle software, and I believe that is only possible using the Toyota programming tool - the dealer shop must do it.
  • Options
    paxtonkpaxtonk Member Posts: 49
    jerrym43 -

The residual is based off of the MSRP. $27,450 * 52% = $14,274 not $13,967.20.

What is the actual selling price, bank fee and do they require a security deposit? I can run the lease for you.

Paxton
  • Options
    uppsalauppsala Member Posts: 8
    Bought the #6 package, silver pine mica for $24,900 plus tax and license. After spending weeks following the carbuyingtips.com info, Fairfield Toyota beat the competition. As I did the research, it was clear that using a car buying service like cars.com, COSTCO or anyone else, would add their own commission above what I wanted to pay.Their commission would have been an extra $1300. It just takes reading as much as you can get your hands on in order to ascertain not only the MSRP, dealer invoice, etc. but also whatever holdbacks and rewards a dealership makes and how much they are willing to give up. I sent out many emails directly to Toyota on-line agents at different car dealerships throughout Northern CA. The ones who responded with a lower ballpark figure would warrant a response and put themselves in the running. The one hang-up was that it was very difficult to get the color I wanted and a trade had to be made. None of the dealers wanted to trade the color I wanted. It took about two weeks to find a dealer willing to exchange with my dealership. We are not able to post the name of a salesperson but I would be glad to pass on the agent's name if you send your email address.
  • Options
    kristinekkristinek Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2007 magnetic gray with gray interior with package #5 for $24,795 out the door! I got quotes from all over LA county and even beyond, but nothing could beat this price from Toyota of Santa Monica. I know, I thought they'd be horrible but the dealer we worked with was great! If you'd like his name, email me and I'll be happy to send some business his way. I'm sure we'll be buying another Prius from him in the future!!!

Our only issue is that we live in the Valley and need to find a good dealership here for service when it's time. Any suggestions?

Thanks to all of you for posting such great information!!!
  • Options
    inlainla Member Posts: 2
    Re: Lowest Price in LA, I am about to buy a pkg 5 from Toyota of Santa Monica. Could you please give me the name of the dealer you worked with. Your price is much lower than our quote. Thanks.
  • Options
    kristinekkristinek Member Posts: 2
    inla, please email me so I can give you the name of the dealer we worked with who was really good!!!!

Thanks, and good luck!!!
  • Options
    wooha2000wooha2000 Member Posts: 54
    Was this OTD?
  • Options
    priusfremontpriusfremont Member Posts: 1
    Can you send me the salesperson's contact info?
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Per the red lettering above the post-a-message box, we frown on exchanging info about specific salespeople within the discussions - in the past it's lead to heavy solicitation.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    No, I don't believe the service contract is a scam. When buying my Prius, I asked to see a detailed listing from the service department of the price for every service and what is included through 55,00 miles. After calculating the cost of each service, it totaled around $1600. I was able to purchase the 55,000 mile service contract for around $800, saving half. It also gives me peace of mind not to have to worry about paying the cost of services for a few years. Now, as to the other warranty... they also offered to sell me an extended warranty for seven year coverage but I let them know I was purchasing it through another Toyota dealership recommended on Prius Chat for $990. They dropped the $1350 price and met the $990 price.Even though the Prius is a Toyota, it's got the hybrid technology which elevates it to a more complex status.I would love to think that nothing will go wrong with the electronics but feel more secure knowing the warranty is there.
  • Options
    Kirstie...as you have read, we can't post specific names of sales people. You would have to post your email on this site and I would have to forward the info to you.
  • Options
    I'm sure they saw you coming when they showed you the prices. Their "regular list prices" (oil changes charged at shop labor rate of over $100 per hour etc.) are seldom charged and more likely it was padded with extra dealer-recommended services not required by Toyota.
    $1600 in manufacturer "required" service charges needed during the first 55,000 miles? I don't think so.
    Did you match their list of services with the required service listed in the owners manual?

And they want to lose money by selling the service contract for below their costs why?
  • Options
    At autos.yahoo.com there is a breakdown which delineates several costs for owning specific cars. Other sites will offer this info, too.
    Notice the maintenance costs for the Prius over a five year period. These figures are based on driving 15,000 miles yearly. "The maintenance cost estimated is based on three key data points that we receive from industry sources: frequency of incident, labor rates, and parts prices."

Year 1 Year 2 Year 3 Year 4 Year 5

Depreciation $5,507 $2,264 $2,097 $1,929 $1,761
    Fuel Cost $857 $887 $919 $951 $985 $4,599
    Maintenance $276 $380 $733 $1,136 $276 $2,801
    Fees, Taxes $1,005 $185 $185 $185 $185 $1,745
    Repairs $0 $0 $223 $372 $372 $967
  • Options
    jerseymiserjerseymiser Member Posts: 2
    Did my homework by getting the Consumer Reports Car Buying kit and utilized AAA’s Auto Buying Program. After the flurry of emails and phone calls from several dealers, I focused on 2 in the Middlesex/Mercer County areas. 1st stop was DCH in North Brunswick. Went for a test drive and talked about the touring package. After a few questions to the salesperson, I quickly realized he knew less about the car than I did. He then started the pricing discussion at MSRP with the comment "we can talk about including the mats - they are extra, you know". Also claimed that all Prius models come with the upgraded JBL speakers. Needless to say, this deal did not go down.
    Next stop was Lawrenceville Toyota. Pricing on the standard Prius with package #3 was attractive and reflected the AAA discount. (I don't have the numbers at hand, but will add later). Also got a good trade-in on my '99 Rav 4 with 112K miles. Salesperson was knowledgeable, personable and made me feel comfortable about the whole car buying process. Placed a deposit and they located my first choice colors and package within 3 days. The car was delivered with mats, First Aid kit and cargo net. The mats I expected, but the First Aid kit and net were not requested but thrown in as "goodies" - no change to the previously negotiated price. Full tank of gas and the first oil change is free. I have been sending all my friends there since. Bought the extended warranty too. They offer a "warranty buy back" which means they will give you the cost of the extended warranty back at expiration date if you have never used it.
    :shades:
  • Options
    Please contact me if you have gotten a good deal in any Prius packages. I need to hear from the people of Georgia, South Carolina, Florida, North Carolina. I am pretty sure there is someone out there driving a Prius in one of these states. Let me know if you want my email so we can be more specific about the dealer where you bought your Prius.
  • Options
    How much did you pay for your Prius? I can drive to Jersey and get my Prius if yours was a good deal.
  • Options
    What is the Yahoo Autos definition of "maintenance?" Most likely it is not just scheduled maintenance but expected wear item replacements and service on items such as tires, brakes etc. that would not be covered under the prepaid maintenance plan. It doesn't say that they base their costs on the manufacturers required maintenance schedule.

Secondly, I just copied at pasted year 1 though five estimates from Yahoo and I got different numbers:

$276

$380

$733

$892

$276

Thirdly, if you drive 15,000 miles per year in 5 years based on these costs, you would be at 75,000 miles. The 55,000 mile contract would have run out before the 4th year.
  • Options
    weldmaxweldmax Member Posts: 7
    Started my search for a 07 Prius. What can I expect to pay for the base model with pkg#3? Ive been quoted $26200 for base with pkg#5. Where is the best to buy. We are new to California and gas prices are forcing my hand out of an 06 SUV. Any help would be great. Thanks.
  • Options
    Very good points, jaxs1. My figures were from the Touring model. I'll let you know at 55,000 miles.
  • Options
    uclaucla Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I would love to get your input..i am a young first time buyer & need all the help i can get- who & where in santa monica?? thank you!! lracen@gmail.com
  • Options
    carlstraubcarlstraub Member Posts: 50
    Hi,
    Before anyone buys a Prius please check out Priuschat.com.
    forums. Scroll almost to the end to"How much you paid for your car".
    Prices are at least 1K lower than when we purchased in Feb. with the great financing.
    UCLA. I can give you recommendations of two places we bought if you desire. malibucarl@hotmail.com
    Carl
  • Options
    I really want the Prius this weekend but I'm certainly not getting good prices in Houston. I'm being told the the Extra Mile Package 'C' is mandatory (was put on at the docks) and an extra $1300.

Does Anyone know of any good deals within 1000 miles of Houston?

Also, does anyone know the 'ride' difference between the Base and Touring with respect to the suspension?

Thanks in advance,
    Merritt
  • Options
    What the heck is the "Extra Mile Package C" ?? It sounds similar to the "ToyoGuard Plus Package" that the S.E.T. (SouthEast Toyota) Dealers have put on at their port (Jacksonville, Florida). They want $699 for this and all it is, is some light undercoat sprayed only in the wheel wells, oil/waxey substance sprayed under the vehicle, a paint sealant, and probably the ONLY "worthwhile" thing included is VIN Glass Etch !! If you "catch" the vehicle BEFORE it hits port, while on the ship JUST AS WE DID, you can STOP this and save (as we did) another $699 !!

Now for the differences between the "base" and "Touring".....
    Besides the 16" wheels and wider tires on the Touring vs. 15", skinnier tires in the base, the Touring suspension is a little bit "stiffer" which is what we "like" and what we chose !! This is done by a little heavier duty spring rate and shocks. The Touring also had HID headlights and the spoiler on the Touring rear is a bit "larger" !! Depending on your driving habits (slightly agressive vs. really mellow) I would suggest you DEFINITELY DRIVE EACH BEFORE YOU BUY ONE !! The Touring, in my opinion, is more "sure-footed" and the "comfort you give up" for this is feeling a bit more (just a little bit now) road "bumps and thumps"....
    I am sure many, many more will jump-in after my (this) post and tell you the same thing..... but MOST IMPORTANT, go to the same dealer and TRY THEM BOTH, on SAME ROADS, SAME DAY !! :)
  • Options
    I'm now being told that I can't get the Barcelona Red Touring Package #5 in the ENTIRE state of TX with a Gray interior, only Tan. The Base + #5 wasn't distributed within the 5 state region. ARGH

I worry about the Touring because I live in a severe pot hole city,,, out taxes obviously are sucked up somewhere else, not road maintainence.

The cheapest I found was in Mobile, Alabama for $25591 for the Base + #5 and DOCUMENTARY SERVICE FEE $ 349.00 (?)

Anybody know a better price? :sick:

Thanks,
    Merritt
  • Options
    Just got a price quote of $24439 from Longo Toyota in California for the Base + Package #5. HOWEVER, that price only applies to state residents. Out-of-state purchasers must pay FULL MSRP and pay Cash (no check or credit card). One serious way to discourage people.

Does anyone know if this is a state law or just applies to that dealership?

What a crock, Ca does seem to have the best prices right now. I would take that road trip for good savings.
  • Options
    heidipriusheidiprius Member Posts: 4
    where have you found the best dealer on prices for prius
    level 2 or above or
    has anyone tried Costco?
  • Options
    carlstraubcarlstraub Member Posts: 50
    Heidi,
    Visit PriusChat.com.
    Go to forums
    Scroll down to prices paid and buying experiences.
    MANY great prices in Calif at this time.

We bought 2--pkg#2 cars in Feb.(different dealers). Had good and VERY good experiences. PM me at malibucarl@hotmail.com if you want names.

Carl
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    You will also have to pay CA sales tax even if you are from another state. There is no way to get out of it that I can find.
  • Options
    I think it works opposite of that. You pay the tax of state/county where the car is registered.
    If you buy a car in Oregon and you're a California resident, you will owe state/county sales tax in California when you register the car.
This discussion has been closed.