Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Audio/Radio

79customd79customd Member Posts: 87
We currently own a 2005 2500HD Chevy Duramax 4x4, which for the first 30k miles has done very well powertrain wise but its been the little stuff. There has been a rattle in the steering column which as I understand is caused by the new steering system that GM has used in the GMT800 as opposed to the old CK platforms. But now the radio is shutting off. Sometimes when your riding down the road the radio is on and all is well, it seems as the vehichle warms up the radio is more apt to fail, Any input on what this may be?

Comments

• obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Most stereos/radios have a heat sink and a cooling fan. If your fan has stopped working, it could lead to a buildup of heat in the unit forcing it to shut down before permanent damage is done.
  • evilevil Member Posts: 2
  • evilevil Member Posts: 2
    The stereo in my 99 silverado has finally given up the ghost. My question is, is there a certian way to get it out of the dash, ie, schematics, so I dont break the plastic all up.

evil
  • wgreenwgreen Member Posts: 17
    Hey evil,did you ever find out how that stereo comes out?
    I just bought a 2006 1500 silverado wt that came with am/fm only and want to put a stereo with a cd player in it eventually. Just wanted to know how much of a hassle it is.

thanx
    wgreen
  • boognishlovinboognishlovin Member Posts: 3
    My radio keeps on resetting itself at random intervals. I'm not sure if it is when I turn it on or off, but I start it and my clock is back to 1:00 and my presets are gone. I've tried driving with all the lights on to see if that would trigger it when I started it the next time, but it's still random, about 1-5 days, sometimes twice a day. It won't kill me but I'd like to fix it.
    Thanx.
  • ahoronahoron Member Posts: 30
    Remove the trim piece around the radio by pulling on it the whole piece will come off. If you have an automatic you have to shift to first gear and tilt the steering column all the way down. then, you will have to remove the radio by pressing the 2 clips down on each side of the radio the radio will slide out. Then just disconnect the wiring.
  • knight01knight01 Member Posts: 2
    ijust attempted to get a new stereo installed in my '03 sierra and found out that i supposedly need an additional 150.00 part... needess to say i flipped out!
    what is a gmrco1? how important is it? what does it do?
    can i just move on and not bother with this thing?
    thanks for your help.
  • knight01knight01 Member Posts: 2
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    What most likey it is a module (just for aftermarket radios)
    so you will have door chimes, key buzzer,etc. after non-GM
    radio installation.
    All GM trucks 03? and after generate all their warning chimes THRU the factory Delco radio and sound off thru the
    left speaker.

$150 bucks is pricy for this module if in fact that is what it is.
    Have you asked a good stereo installation shop about this?

BTW: YES you can install a aftermaket stereo and not use this module........But no warning chimes!
  • farmerkbfarmerkb Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 silverado ext.cab and in the second year of our truck my cd player quit working. I have had no luck getting it to ever work so i just left it, I listen mostly to just the radio anyway. But now about 3-4 months ago we noticed the dash lights on the am/fm/cd unit, some lights quit. The preset buttons #2 and #5 and the SEEK button do not light up. Everything else lights up like they should as anyone every had this sort of problems????
  • 07classic07classic Member Posts: 8
    wgreen,
    putting a stereo in the 06 shouldnot be a real big issue. However keep in mind that there are 2 ways of doing this. One is buy a harness piece that runs around 50 bucks at cruchfield or you can wire it without but you will not have the bells for if you leave your lights on or keys in the ignition. I just put a pioneer (er had it done) and there is plenty of space and the dash front comes out very easy.. almost 2 easy for theives etc. But i put a new deck new speakers and a small 8 inch sub behind seat and it sounds very very good for under 500 bucks. looks nice in dash also... doenst look like aftermarket.
  • limracerlimracer Member Posts: 1
    Which Pioner did you buy.
    I have a 95 Sierra with a cassette reciever, I would like to install a cd/cassette reciever - was this available on a pre-2003 Sierra/Silverado. I am low budget and want to know what to look for in the Junk yard. Some of the local yards ask a thousand questions before they look up a part or allow you in the yard. :( :confuse:
  • alwayslearnalwayslearn Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 Sierra 3/4 ton with the AM/FM Compact Disk, Cassette, Clock Package code - UP0. The CD player needs to be replaced. It is a remote cd player mounted down just above the console. It tries to read a cd, kicks it back out, and gets the code ERR. Have tried cleaning and resetting via unhooking the battery cable with no luck. I went to the dealer and they want $35 just to take it out to tell me how much it would be to replace. So I would like to do that myself. I removed the two screws inside the cd storage compartment below the cd player. The top part of the trim is still attached to the side molding that covers the area above the hump, but I can't see where or how. At that point I think I can remove the cd player and probably order a cd player myself.

Can someone tell me how to take this out without tearing up the plastic molding?

Is there a book I could order that would cover this type of repair for all the interior?
  • alwayslearnalwayslearn Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. I have done a lot of searches and none brought that up. I looked and GM also has them so I think I'll order through the dealer and save shipping (I hope).
  • finger_lakesfinger_lakes Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Sierra Classic and I hate the fact that there is no Accessory position for the key. I want the radio to stay on when I shut the truck off, even if I open the door.

Is it a simple matter of rewiring the power to the radio direct to a constant 12v?

Any information, especially radio wiring info would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • smcduffiesmcduffie Member Posts: 1
    I have to install new 5.25" speakers in my doors. I was just wondering what the wattage output is so I'll know what minimum wattage speakers to purchase.

Thanks for you help.
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    Some radios can drive 25W/channel to 2 Ohm speaker load directly. Some only capable of driving 4 Ohm only. In that case, the maximum power output drops significantly (10W per speaker for example)

But all of that with a disclaimer: full volume setting and may be 10% distortion. Some cheap radio could not drive 2 Ohm speakers but most can do 4 Ohm. Normally if you set your volume 1/2 way, you're lucky to get 1W output/speaker.

In addition, radio has Distortion Limiter: it will back volume down or even shut down if it is overheated and/or could not drive Low Impedance (2 Ohm) speaker.

So radio is also a limiting factor. But if you want safe option, the new speakers should the same Impedance (4 Ohm or 2 Ohm) as the ones you replace. Typical OEM speakers are the cheapest things they could find in China or other low cost countries. Any decent high performance After-market speakers will improve the sound greatly even with the same load spec. The difference is the Audio frequency response: cheap OEM speakers have little BASS or TREBLE and more distortion.

If your audio system has the external amplifier like Bose, infinity, Pioneer... then the limiting factor is not the radio head anymore. It is now the Amp that needs to match your speaker loads

jt

jt
  • jsorensenjsorensen Member Posts: 7
    I can't get my 6-CD player to read my music data discs. I burn them with Windows Explorer as file folders for albmuns and within each folder are several .wma files. When I put the disc in the player, it responds by saying it can't find anything on the disc. Any solutions?
    You need to convert the wma files to wav for your car stereo to recognize them.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    or as mp3s... and most important, without folders and subfolders. Most car stereos have no idea how to open folders.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • hawkeye6hawkeye6 Member Posts: 2
  • hawkeye6hawkeye6 Member Posts: 2
    My company just bought 2 new 2007 Sierra's. One is a Denali and one is a plain jane 1500 2wd. The Denali was bought with the GPS/rear view option but the dealer did not have it in stock at the time, so the dealer gave us a new Denali with the standard 6-disc changer/mp3 accessory plug in with the idea that when they received the GPS stereo they would switch it out. Well, that all came through and now we want to put the original Denali stereo into the other 2007 1500 because that stereo is AM/FM only.

We took switched the stereos ourselves and when we turned the power on, the stereo says "locked". I took it to a local dealer to have them tell the computer that it has a new stereo and they couldn't figure it out, like the truck was too new for their equipment.

Can anyone give me any help on how to get the switched out stereo to unlock?
    Well, look like you need to go to another dealer and pay them to erase the VIN info on the radio that shows "LOC". After that, this radio will work again.

Radio, when first installed into vehicle, would store the vehicle VIN info into its computer (radio computer). Now if you put this radio into another vehicle, the radio would try to compare the stored VIN info with the vehicle's VIN. If they do not match, radio will lock up. The dealers should have tool to do that for you.

jt
  • danno4danno4 Member Posts: 10
    I am new to this forum and just bought my first Chevy silverado . It's a 1995 4x4 with crew cab and 5.7l engine. I would like to change out the factory installed casette player with a factory cd player. I called a local dealer and they said if I gave them the number off the back of the radio , I may be able to do a swap if it is compatible. Question is, how do I get the radio out? Thanks.
    Dan
    The CD ans CAS options are compatible for your vehicle as long as they have the same model year usage and fit the same opening. If so, they share the same electrical connections

I forgot what the interior of this CK truck looks like as far as trimming around the radio is concerned.

For the Model Year 2000 forward until 2007, you just removed 5-6 screws around the radio, Instrument Panel and then move the Gear Shifter to D position to take the whole upper plastic section out. It is 1- minute job with a flat nose screw driver and 7mm socket driver

I hope yours is as easy as the model above. Anyway, since you will get the radio from the dealer, they should be able to show you how to do it.

jt
  • djbeckettdjbeckett Member Posts: 2
    One door speaker went bad. It's a 4 ohm, 6" round speaker with a plastic mount that clips into the door panel. I cannot find an exact oem replacement. Should I go to a car audio shop and buy one that closely matches the configuration, or must I buy from a chevy dealer?
    Almost any aftermarket speaker will be better than the stock one. I'd consider changing both speakers out.
  • gmc04gmc04 Member Posts: 2
    I own an '04 gmc sierra 1500. I was told I could not replace the cd player w/ an aftermarket cd player myself because of a special harness/adaptor that is needed. Is there any truth to this? If so where can I find the harness/adaptor?
    If you purchase a head unit from Crutchfield, they will send you the harness.
  • asylum575asylum575 Member Posts: 72
    The wiring harness is useful, not necessary, just makes a cleaner easier connection. What you do need is a modulator to process computer codes to your new radio. If you notice, your warning signals come through your factory speakers. The "open door" and "lights on" and "seatbelt" warning chimes come through the radio speakers. Without this little box, you won't get warning chimes. I picked one up at circuit city for about $75. Crutchfield has them too.
  • gmc04gmc04 Member Posts: 2
    I appreciate it.
  • goodfamilygoodfamily Member Posts: 1
    i am thinking about to do the same thing but getting used from a salvage yard. i was told on a 1995 silverado you just have to find one that is not locked or has the code with it. is that correct or do you know
  • asylum575asylum575 Member Posts: 72
    I believe you can swap GM radio. It is easy since they use the same connector/harness. If the radio is Locked, your local dealer can unlock it. Dealer may charge you though. I've heard as high as $150. I ended up buying a standard aftermarket and a mounting kit. I think the GM radio slot is 1 1/2 or double Din. Only other thing is the modulator for the chimes. Most after market radios will sound better than the Delcos. Also the newer radios have the Aux input. Might as well go with new speakers. I swapped out my stock radio from my 03 Z71 for a nice $150 radio. New pioneer speakers for another $150. Ended up selling the Delco radio on Ebay for $175.
  • mooresmoores Member Posts: 2
    The radio in my 1990 Sierra acts like the antenna is not hooked up (it's hard to get stations) I looked at the back of the radio and didn't see any conventional antenna wire. I also didn't see anything laying around that looked like an antenna wire. Any ideas?
  • cafgsscafgss Member Posts: 1
    you can replace the deck but if you go to any car audio store and aks for a wiring harnes. this will make life so much easyer. This will also cost around $10 to $20.
    It is likely your antenna cable popped out of the connector. So look for the co-ax cable with a small metal tip in. Just plug it into the connector socket.

BTW, the head unit and the receiver/audio amplifier box are two separate boxes for this vehicle. If I am not mistaken, the head unit for this vehicle has the small face with just the radio display and radio buttons. The receiver/amplifier box is a metal box of the size of the brick. It has the antenna connection and the connections to the head unit. You have to search for the receiver box to check the antenna connection (somewhere in the dash ?, just follow the cable harness from the head unit)

Before you destroy the dashboard to look for the receiver box, you may want to look at the antenna whip at the front fender to make sure it is still there and have solid connection to the co-ax cable (feeding the receiver box)

jt
    LOL!! Before you destroy the dashboard......
    Probably would not come down to that if one is careful.

But It would make a person angry to find out after spending hours to undo the dashboard to look at the receiver connection while the problem is somewhere else like the fender whip is missing.

jt
  • mooresmoores Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice/instructions. I took the dash apart and found the antenna connection into the metal box, this is the most convoluted radio setup I've ever seen, 3 different components. The connection was fine. I went under the hood and found a connection between the wire coming from the mast to the radio. That connection was old and somewhat corroded. I cleaned it up, connected it back and it now works fine. The dash is back in one piece also. Thanks for the help.
  • snowbugcasnowbugca Member Posts: 5
    My truck plays some boot leg CDs and some it won`t. Had a Panasonic in my old truck and it played everything. What gives? thanks Jim
    Your current headunit is cheap Delco stuff. If you want to play bootleg CDs get a Kenwood.
  • cleansilveradocleansilverado Member Posts: 5
    i have a 07 silverado and its bone stock....in yall's opinion, i want to go with boston pro's 60's throughout with a fosgate 400 pushing them eith 2 10" either jl w3's or the new fosgate 10's with the new punch bd500 pushing them. however i want to leave the original head unit in. any advice or does anyone have a similar set up???
  • trey496hdtrey496hd Member Posts: 1
    I have an '03 2500HD, I have 2 kicker comps under my seat with a downfire box, and a memphis audio amp. I have it hooked up to my factory stereo, if you go to get it installed and they say you HAVE to have an aftermarket head unit, they are lying. I had mine installed by some guys i know at the shop and they used a 'PAC' system. It is a little module that adapts your factory headunit to utilize the hookup from the amp.
    I would go with the JL's. It sounds good, and my subs are rated at 2 ohms, and the amp helps them to hit the lows. I mainly listen to rock and country and if i do listen to rap, the 10's (at least mine) won't get the low low's, but it does okay. Going with the JL's to me seem like the better setup, but I am no expert my anymeans. I just know for a fact you do not have to buy an aftermarket headunit, just the little PAC system. You can get them at any car audio place and should only cost around $20. At least that's what I paid. Hope this helps. -Trey
    JL Audio ownz. One of the main reasons for going aftermarket is to improve on stock sounds. Why would you want to retain the stock headunit when upgrading everything else? It's like buying a new golf set yet using those 12 year old balata balls. Just makes no sense in terms of flexibility, sound reproduction and control.
  • cleansilveradocleansilverado Member Posts: 5
    i live in new orleans, and this guy eric that wprks at Mobie One, the big time of audio install around here, is supposed to be one f the only certain certification guys in the state and he told he recommends the new fosgate subs and amps. he says they pull way less power of battery and alt. he just did my best friends 06 vette and its all custom and bad [non-permissible content removed] looking. i dont want one of those huge alpine or pioneer giant stereos that pop out then up deal. i like my truck stock looking and everything hidden. Thats why i opt for the stock head unit. Also i just installed a EGR bug shield. Not crazy about it. It doesnt wrap around the whole front cap and its way too short to cover the whole top of hood. Any of you guys have the AVS for 2007 new body style? does it cover more? thx for the input too.
  • snickers1127snickers1127 Member Posts: 5
    i put a aftermarket in my 04 gmc in 10 minutes getting a harnes adaptor will make it painless and screw the door chimes dont need them anyway but one thing you might want to take note of is the factory wiring harness doesnt have a ignition wire ssince the computer onboard has the antitheft for the factory stereo you will have to run a igntion wire to the fuse box to get it to come on with the key that is the only option unless you want it to stay on all the time and have to be shut off manually but other then that it should be painless to install any questions or hints hit me back
  • ydnar67ydnar67 Member Posts: 2
  • ydnar67ydnar67 Member Posts: 2
    There is a CD in my 2004 Sierra that won't eject. Just lots of clicks then CHECK CD.
    Is there any simple way to get this out? It is an audio book from the Library.
    How do I get the CD player out if necessary?
    Thanks, ydnar67
  • waldonwaldon Member Posts: 1
    An issue developed in the XM only portion of my Delphi/Bose system a month ago when I ran my battery down to zero. I installed a new battery just yesterday.
    I only can get 4 XM channels, preview, 130, 143 & 247. I have been on the phone with XM folks a number of times (8-10) and they've resent the signal, reset my reciever on their end (3 times last night) to no avail. I wonder if there might be a master reset or something within my truck or..................?
    Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated.
    PW