Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Camry Bluetooth Questions

Comments

• Options
    rockxprockxp Member Posts: 11
    OK..Im reading mixed reviews. Do everyone think it was a good idea to get the bluebooth in the first place or was it a waste of money. In my region, to get the radio/bluetooth feature its an extra $1000.
  • Options
    parnolaparnola Member Posts: 141
    I have the Verizon RAZR paired with my 2007 Camry XLE. It's worked like a charm from day one - paired easily and always pairs up when I get in the car. Sound quality is better than expected.

Also, IMO, the base stereo in the Camry is lacking; the JBL upgrade makes all the difference.
  • Options
    bluetoothguybluetoothguy Member Posts: 89
    I think the LG Fusic phone is the only Sprint phone I currently suggest.
  • Options
    meiztgmeiztg Member Posts: 5
    I took delivery of a 2007 Camry yesterday with Bluetooth capability and I am having trouble "pairing" to a Sony Ericsson Z520a that is Bluetooth capable phone. Any advice, I have a call into the dealer.

Tom M.
  • Options
    The Z520a has been known to have intermittent connection problems. Assuming you are following the pairing instructions properly, it should be able to pair fine.

Do you have a navigation system or JBL audio package?
  • Options
    mookie5mookie5 Member Posts: 22
    Paired fine. Have yet to explore all the features, but I love it so far, esp since Ive got a manual transmission SE.
  • Options
    Thanks that is good to know, in the pairing process I got to the part where four digit number was issued by the radio but I had difficulty entering it into the Phone. I have the JBL audio package. The car is the SE model.

Thanks,

Tom M.
  • Options
    If you have the Z520a, once the car issues the four digit passkey follow these steps on the phone's menu:

1. Select “Menu”
    2. Select “Settings"
    3. Scroll to the "Connectivity" Tab
    4. Select "Bluetooth"
    5. Select "Handsfree"
    6. Select "OK"
    7. Select "Handsfree"
    8. Enter passkey shown on Handsfree display
    9. Select "OK"
    10. Scroll to "Handsfree"
    11. Select "Connect"

The car should display and speak "Searching..." until you get to step 11 and select "Connect". After this, you should automatically connect everytime you turn your car on.
  • Options
    Thanks for note, I have a few questions. Do you need to the activate the bluetooth or does selecting handsfree do that for you? Step 8 do you mean the pass key number that camry radio shows?

Thanks

Tom M
  • Options
    lukejslukejs Member Posts: 9
    Choose a profile..In Car.. with BT enabled, as long as you are in that profile the phone will autumatically pair with the car, also there is no need to take the phone out of your pocket or purse.
  • Options
    Tom,

As long as bluetooth is turned on in your phone and you have already paired with the vehicle once, it should automatically connect every time you turn your car on.

Step 8 does refer to the 4-digit passkey provided by the handsfree system. This should be spoken by the system bofore it says 'searching' and also it should be displayed on the handsfree display.
  • Options
    dtoedtoe Member Posts: 1
    I have a verizon LG phone paired to my adaptor but will not pair :cry: to my camry. will an adaptor not work with camary bluetooth? :confuse:
  • Options
    Thanks to the Bluetoothguy, I got my phone paired to my Camry last night. AS I understand now when I get in the car I activate bluetooth connectivity and I am set to go?
  • Options
    I am up and going with my Sony Ericsson Z520a phone in my Camry. Thanks to the Bluetooth guy for his help and others.
    What a great way to make and receive call in the car.
  • Options
    sjmericle1974sjmericle1974 Member Posts: 6
    Hello,

I have recently purchased a 2007 Camry with the DVD Navigation (love it). I am having issues with the bluetooth . . . I can pair a phone with the car, and I can dial numbers using voice command. I look at the phone and see that the number was dialed and has connected, but I get no audio out of the car. I have checked all of the settings and have the volume cranked. I have tried 3 different Motorola RAZR phones: one V3c from US Cellular, one V3c from Verizon Wireless, and a V3 from cingular Wireless. I got the same results from all three, I can bond with the car, but I get no audio. Has anyone else had this issue? If so can you please tell me the Fix? Thank you
  • Options
    rmayer99rmayer99 Member Posts: 11
    Hi all,

I do not have a 2007 Camry YET, but I hope to buy one soon. So I don't know exactly how Bluetooth will work with my (Alltel ) phone. So here is a newbie-level question:

When you are using Bluetooth in the car and you get, say voicemail, how do you send tones...for example, if you need to send a "123#" code sequence to pick up your messages. Can you send the 123# vocally or do you have to pick up your handset and type them?

Thanks in advance,

Rob from AZ
  • Options
    tmchinotmchino Member Posts: 2
    Blue Tooth Guy,

I just picked up the 2007 Camry XLE (no nav system). I am trying to setup the HandsFree system using Bluetooth and cannot get through the initial 'pairing' process . I am trying to record a name for the phone and the system keeps answering me with "Pardon?" no matter what name I state for the phone...Should I be stating a persons name or the make of the phone? Does it matter?

What am I doing wrong? Help.!!
  • Options
    This issue seems like a hardware problem that maybe the dealership can take a look at. I am assuming that the person you are calling is able to see the incoming call and answer it. Can they hear you in the car?
  • Options
    There are several options for this feature. First, while you are in a call, push the steering wheel 'talk' switch and say some digits. It should allow you to send the tones for the digits you speak after confirming they were recognized correctly. If you would like to go a step further, you can program the voicemail password to one of the six preset button on the front of the radio (non-navigation). With this case, while you are in the call you simply push the assigned button and the tones will be sent.

If you have the navigation system, there is a separate entry method for 'speed tones' that can be used to send password entries. You can also use the on-screen touchpad if you are not in motion or voice recognition if you are in motion.
  • Options
    tmchinotmchino Member Posts: 2
    I just got back from the dealer re: my bluetooth, handsfree issue and believe it or not....the system wasnt plugged in. The tech at the dealr popped off the dome cover where the microphone is housed and the wires for the system were buried in the ceiling. Once he plugged in I paired the phone no problem.

Great quality control there at Toyota..
  • Options
    anniemfuseanniemfuse Member Posts: 66
    That's great it was solved at the dealer so easily. And now you're in business!
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, bluetoothguy. Can you also, if necessary, just tap the tones on the phone itself, while in bluetooth mode?
  • Options
    Yes, the other end can hear me fine. LOL, I called Toyota and the lady that answeres said it was with my "Bluetooth Provider" . . . LOL since when have you seen a bluetooth tower around town? Anyway, I took the car to the dealer and they are looking into fixing the issue. Thanks for reading.
  • Options
    You can do that also (although it technically voids the whole concept of 'Handsfree').
  • Options
    I will have to check with my local Bluetooth Provider and see if they have heard any similar complaints!

My guess is that it is probably an amplifier issue. Let us know what comes of it.
  • Options
    steavissteavis Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I are considering the 2007 Camry XLE and I've got a question about the Bluetooth function. We both have Motorola 551 phones and while I understand that we should both be able to pair our phones to the car, how does it work when we're both in the car? If I try to make a call will it just pick whichever phone it wants to use? Can I tell it which phone?
  • Options
    njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    We have V551 phones.

Either can be used by Bluetooth but only one at a time can be paired.

It will be paired with whatever phone you select when you get in the car.
  • Options
    gene22gene22 Member Posts: 34
    Just set this up in my new Camry. There are a few steps that could trip somebody up.

Remember to press the TALK button when you are talking, and the screen says LISTENING. As somebody mentioned, there is the outside chance that your microphone is not plugged in.. dealer can fix.

Other issue is in the pairing process. Make sure the phone has bluetooth turned on. And from that setup screen you will have to enter the 4 digit code that the car gives you to enter. Not obvious at first.
  • Options
    The dealer called and they are replacing the DVD Nav unit. I am looking forward to having my car fully functional. To all who are considering the 07 Camry: get the XLE, get the V6, and get the DVD Nav. My god this car is freeking sweet!!! :)
  • Options
    steavissteavis Member Posts: 2
    So when you start the car it says something to the effect of, "Hey, you've got two phones in here, which one do you want to use" and then you select one?
  • Options
    No, it will pair with the first phone that you attempt to make a connection with.

You have to manually pair with the bluetooth thru (Settings, connection, bluetooth link, handsfree, temporarily power blue tooth on) with a phone and hit the off hook button on the steering wheel.

You will then be linked.
  • Options
    This system is capable of having up to six phones paired at once. However, only one phone can be active (connected) to the handsfree system at a time. Each phone should have a unique name assigned during the pairing process. The vehicle will always try to reconnect to the phone that was used last. If that is not the phone you want to use, press the talk switch and say "Setup" -> "Phone Setup" -> "Select Phone" -> "[Phone Name]"(or List Phones). I am assuming this is the non-navigation system we are referring to. If it is the navigation system, similar operations can be followed using the touch screen under the phone settings.
  • Options
    pasullivpasulliv Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a new Camry and use Sprint service and a Blackberry that does not have Bluetooth currently. I would like to enable the Bluetooth phone in the Camry, and am willing to upgrade to a new Blackberry (I have to stay with Sprint), but want to know a) does it work; b) what model of Blackberry; and c) are there any limitations?

Thanks!
  • Options
    There are currently two Blackberry devices for Sprint that support Bluetooth(7250 and 7130e). The only limitation of these devices is the lack of ability to send phonebook contacts to the handsfree system. Hopefully they will release a software version soon that does support this function.
  • Options
    kimcaitkimcait Member Posts: 6
    I own a 2007 Camry XLE. I am having a problem with my bluetooth when I receive a second call with "call waiting". If I do not answer the 2nd call, when that person hangs up, I lose both calls. If I answer the 2nd call (I have to actually pick up my phone to switch calls) and then the 1st call hangs up, I lose the 2nd call.

Very frustrating.

I am using a Cingular Razor and otherwise seems to be working OK. I did have one incident where my bluetooth shut off all together (during a road trip)and I had to turn the car off and back on again to reconnect.

Please reply with any helpful advice.
  • Options
    muuhermuuher Member Posts: 9
    Hi all,

Just paired up a Motorola V330 and everything seems to work fine (except transferring all phonebook contacts which didn't work, had to do it one by one). Just thought I'd post this in case anyone else has the same phone.
  • Options
    I was adding enteries to the phonebook and entered about 20 of them (all with voice tags) before it said something like 'phonebook full' or 'no more memory' or something to that effect. So:

Is this the limit on the number of entries or the total storage size?
    Do you get to store more if you don't use the voice names?
    Does the nav. system have a different limit/size?
  • Options
    The limit is 20 voice recognition tags with either NAV or non-NAV bluetooth.

According to Toyota, the non-NAV limits:

speed dial - 6
    phone book - 20

NAV units have more in most cases (up to 1,000 phone book) + groups and speedtones.
  • Options
    That's too bad. I will then have to decide who is phonebook worthy. :)
  • Options
    rexy5893rexy5893 Member Posts: 20
    I want to purchase a phone for my 2007 Camry XLE (on order) w/navigation and bluetooth. I do not have a cell phone, as of yet. I've read the discussions. My question is, can I go wrong with purchasing any phone which has bluetooth capabilities? I am assuming they will all work but some have address book issues. I don't need all the bells and whistles on the phone. Is there a website which states what phones can be used with the 2007 Camry? I have heard that Motorolla phones are best? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks...
  • Options
    Follow-up question:

In the Motorola 815, you don't have to program voice tags for each entry. It's free form, in that the voice recognition software listens to your spoken words and then matches to an entry based on its own speech logic. It's a great feature of the Motorola line. Do I take it this is all rendered non-operational when using Bluetooth -- or can BT just pass on the words to the phone's voice recognition system?

Thanks,

Rob from AZ
  • Options
    AFAIK, it uses the car's voice recognition system and not the phone's.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if the Motorola RAZAR Vc3 or Nokia 6255i works well with the bluetooth in the 2007 Camry?
  • Options
    gene22gene22 Member Posts: 34
    The RAZR works great.
  • Options
    This is a software issue with the Cingular RAZR. I suggest you go to Cingular to get an update that will fix the problem.
  • Options
    The RAZR V3c does work great (especially for Alltel and US Cellular). The Verizon version currently does not support any of the phonebook transfer features.
  • Options
    Can youplease tell me how you got the phone book to transfer? I have a Motorola RAZR V3c through US Cell, and have not yet found the option for transfer.

Thank you,
  • Options
    Really? Now I'm confused. We spoke to someone from US Cellular who stated you have to pull off the side of the road (no more than 5 mi an hour) to make a phone call with the RAZR. And, if you speed up you will get disconnected. Is this not true? Anyway, we got another plan with the Motorola V360 which we will receive next week.
  • Options
    We were told by a US Cellular rep that you can't go any faster than 5 mi an hour, to make a phone call. And, if you speed up you will be disconnected. Argh. So we went with another plan and a Motorola V360, which we will receive next week. Supposedly this one will work also...keeping fingers crossed.
  • Options
    That is not true for any case. Dialing can be difficult while driving if you don't have a stored phonebook or voice recognition. Under no situation should the call disconnect when you go over 5mph. Which version do you have (navigation or JBL Audio system)? I might be able to help you understand the system so it will work for you.