Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Bluetooth Questions

Comments

• bluetoothguybluetoothguy Member Posts: 89
    You are correct and I agree about the difficulty with reading.
  • beltloopbeltloop Member Posts: 4
    The transfer procedure outlined in the 2007 Navigation System Owner's Manual works with the Treo's Contacts application, both with "Send Contact" and "Send Category," but what gets transfered to the Camry phonebook is the names without the numbers. Any idea what the problem is?
  • macfanmacfan Member Posts: 6
    Hello,

I ordered a 2007 XLE and I'm looking into phones that may work well with it when it shows up in late August/September. However, I have to use Sprint or Nextel for work reasons. I saw the Sprint discussion above, and there does not seem to be a strong winner in that category.

Has anyone connected one of the Nextel bluetooth phones to a 2007 Camry? Any problems? I'd appreciate any information if anyone has already tried this.

Thanks.
    Assuming your Nextel phones have the latest software versions, you should be pretty satisfied. Some of the older software releases had some delays when using PTT sessions. Also, I think the later versions include the ability to send contacts over bluetooth. Once the software versions are released, Motorola gives you the ability to update your software at home or through the Nextel stores.
    Thanks for the response. The Nextel phones with Bluetooth are quite expensive... I may yet switch to Sprint. Luckily I'm in no rush to decide since I don't yet have a delivery date for my Camry. Thanks for the feedback and helping me do my research.
  • kumbhanikumbhani Member Posts: 3
    I was wondering if someone could help me. I'm have a hard time pairing my old series 60 phone (Nokia 3650) with my Camry. It's an XLE with Nav/Bluetooth. Basically, everytime I attempt to register the phone, the Camry just sits there (the car doesn't acknowledge the pairing). :cry: The phone acknowledges and accepts the pairing. If I try to make a call with the phone, it doesn't go through the car. Any suggestions (other than the obvious "get a new phone")? Has any had any success with a Nokia Series 60 phone?

Thanks

rk
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    When you are in the pairing process, press the off hook button on your steering wheel so the car knows to look for a phone.
    I have not tried that phone, but I have a guess that might help. While the car is waiting for the pairing process to complete, the phone should have you enter the passkey and should say that pairing completes. After the pairing completes, try to find an option on the phone's menu that will say "Connect" or just select the handsfree system from the phone's menu. This will complete the process, as the car expects the phone to connect to it after the pairing passkey is accepted.
    A week later, I solved my own problem: I removed all punctuation from the phone numbers in the Treo's address book, and then the transfer to the Camry phonebook worked fine.
    Two questions about the handsfree system:

1 When I use my handsfree system to dial voicemail and connect to it, is there any way to use the handsfree system to navigate within voicemail -- for example, punch "3" to delete the message I just listened to? Or do I have to pick up the cellphone to do that?

2 What is the purpose of the "speed tone" feature? What would I use it for?

Any info, many thanks.
    The 'speed tone' can be used to program items such as passwords for voice mail access for dialing while driving. There are also ways to store phonebook entries with 'p' or 'w' characters for automatically sending those tones.
    i.e. 8001234567p1234
  • mitchjavmitchjav Member Posts: 15
    Just wanted to update this post from April. I finally upgraded to a Treo 700p (Verizon) and Bluetooth now works great!!!
  • ipon70ipon70 Member Posts: 13
    I have been trying to get the voice dialing to work on my 2007 Camry with NAV. I am lost as to why it wont do it. I can't figure out where to go to make it actually dial my presets. I want to be able to say "call wife" and have it dial her number, how can I accomplish this.

Thank you in advance.
    I have a JBL system and followed the manual to set up the phone number and name tags. No problem.

I now push "talk" on the steering wheel, say the name, the name is repeated, I push off hook and the number is dialed.
    One question is that the feature called "voice tag" you mention "name tag". If they are the same thing I have done that and it hasn't worked.
    If you have a minute go over what you did to make it work.

Final question can you press talk from the nav screen and have it work??
    Never mind finally figured it out, you have to say "dial by name" first then when it switches your saved voice tags work, such as "call home" or "call wife". Oh god why don't they just say that in the freaking manual.
    You can skip the "dial by name" and just say the "voice tag", listen for it to repeat, and then hit the off hook button.
    There is no option to "connect" on my phone after pairing. I have used bluetooth devices (handsfree, computers, etc) without issues. I think it's a software problem though (i.e. my cellphone's Series 60 firmware doesn't have a manual 'connect'). I tried with a newer Series 60 phone, the Nokia 7610 and it worked just fine. Then again, it had the "connect" option. heh. Ah well. Unfortunately the Nokia 7610 doesn't send over certain information such as battery life. Thanks for your help though.

- Romesh
    I pressed the off-hook button on the steering wheel, but the car didn't do anything different. *sigh*
    A work-around that has helped with some other phones is to place a call from the phone while the car is still waiting for the phone to connect. Sometimes this will force the connection to be initiated by the phone. Like I said, I have never tried that phone so I don't know if it will work. It might be worth a try.
    See none of mine work from the nav screen. "Call Wife" works everytime from the screen that comes up after saying "dial by name".

How are you getting it to work from the nav screen??
    I said I had the JBL in my first post. I use the steering wheel controls.
    I have the JBL system also. But when I am driving down the road and the nav screen is up, I press the face/voice icon, say "call wife" and it usually says "showing golf coarse icons"...but if I do same process from the phone screen, works everytime.

I don't know, lost as heck on why you can get it to work from the nav screen, that is really the way I want it to work, but can't get it to.
  • grapesmugglergrapesmuggler Member Posts: 10
    Macfan -

Have you by chance found any additional information on a Sprint phone that will work well? The website www.phonescoop.com gives some good info on various phones. Here is what it says about the MM-A900 Samsung's (Sprint) bluetooth functionality...

Supported Profiles: HSP, HFP, DUN, OPP, FTP, BPP
    version 1.2

I have copied the descriptions of these profiles below.

"For example, most phones support the Headset (HSP) and Handsfree (HFP) profiles, for connecting the phones to headsets and car kits, respectively. But not all phones support the Object Exchange (OBEX) profiles, which let you transfer files (like photos) (FTP) and/or information (like contacts and events) (OPP) to and from other devices. Another profile supported by only some phones is Dial-Up Networking (DUN), which lets you connect a laptop or PDA to the Internet via the phone. Other optional profiles support connecting to printers (BPP), keyboards (HID), and stereo headphones (A2DP, AVRC)."

Based on this report the A900 has OPP which (if I am reading this right)I think allows contact transfer. However the wording is confusing...we may need phones with OBEX...I don't know.

I've seen the past posts with no sprint success...Anyone out there?

Thanks for all the posts here. This forum has been very helpful.
    The current A900 phones do not support OPP. Their implementation of HFP will cause some issues with the Toyota handsfree systems.

As for requirements, the Toyota handsfree systems use HFP for hansdfree functionality and OPP for phonebook contact transfer. OPP uses OBEX as an underlying protocol (If a phone has OPP, it has OBEX).

The Sanyo Katana should work well with the Toyota handsfree systems. Also, the LG LX350 and Fusic should also be better than the Samsung phones.
    Thanks bluetoothguy.

I love the look of the katana too, and I really don't think i need all the extra features...

One last question, since you seem to be the only one alive with any knowledge...you say it should work well - does that mean it will pass the phonebook to the NAV and display battery life and caller info, etc?

Thanks again!
    The answer is "Yes" to all of the above for the Katana.
    Thank you bluetooth! Your help is much appreciated!
  • bv050506bv050506 Member Posts: 97
    I couldn't get mine to work to save my life, neither could the personnel at the Cellular One. It took my 14 yr old son about 6 minutes and he NEVER looked at the manual! He said all this tuff works the same with the same logic. He owns ever conceivable electronic device there is, so he should be good at it. I just push the voice speaking button on my steering wheel, say call wife, the system says her number, then push the off hook switch and the number is dialed. takes about 6 seconds. Good luck!
  • hpacehpace Member Posts: 3
    Concerning the LG VX8300 in a 2007 Camry...so, everything worked fine for you?...including your phone book? I am considering the LG VX8300 to use with our 2007 Camry SE.

Thanks for your posting.

hpace
  • blindmantooblindmantoo Member Posts: 139
    No, the phone book cannot be transferred - there is a security issue I've been told. Aside from that, it's flawless. Sounds great on the other end when using the Camry's built-in hands free.
    The VX8300 with software version T83VZV01 (Bluetooth Lib Version Q301.01.10)is capable of transferring contacts to the 2007 Camry handsfree system. After the phone is connected to the car, go into the cars mode to transfer phonebook entries. At this point, the bluetooth connection to the phone should be disconnected while the car waits for the phone to send contacts over. Now, go into the phones menu and go to the bluetooth menu (under 'settings and tools'). Scroll to 'handsfree' and select "Options" then select "Send Name Card". You should be able to select and send the namecard of the contact you wish to send. If you need more clarification of this process, please let me know.
    njerald,

Don't feel alone I have basically the same thread going on 2 different forums and can't get any help. It just doesn't work unless I am at the phone menu or say "dial by name" first. If you dont mind doing that, then just press the voice thing and say "dial by name" and it will switch and you can dial by any name that is in your address book. One warning don't use the word "and" it doesn't like it. We had my wifes parents in there and when you would say "larry and arleta **lastname**" it never gets it. But now we changed most of them over to just one of the persons names and it works. Hope that helps you some, don't read the manual it is completely worthless.

Ask your kid:
    Have your kid tell you what he did to get it to dial straight from the nav screen I and a million other people would love to know.
  • flopshotflopshot Member Posts: 14
    I never looked at the bluetooth manual. I simply followed the verbal instructions the car ga me to pair up my bluetooth phone (Cingular 2125). I completely stumbled on the ability to hit the talk button on the steering wheel, say "Dial ", and hit the off-hook button. I do not have to say "Dial by Name" first, even though that's what the car tells you to do.
    Now see that is weird. The bluetooth isn't the issue, it connects and works perfect what seems to be the issue is the freaking voice commands.

So what you are telling me is you are at the navigation screen (watching your car move down the road) and when you hit the voice icon on the steering wheel you can just say "dial (persons name) " and it will dial them??
  • camryhybrid2camryhybrid2 Member Posts: 13
    Hello Athomedad,

I saw your posting of Jun.16th. Has you paired your Nokia 6102i successfully with your new Camry? Please advise. Thanks.
  • hpacehpace Member Posts: 3
    Thank you very much for the very complete directions...this is a great help.
  • clipper1clipper1 Member Posts: 70
    Dear Bluetooth,

New TCH with Nav: Can I transfer numbers with the Sony Ericsson Z525a (Cingular)

Thanks
    i have only tried the Z520a. The Z520a does support phonebook transfer. My understanding is that the only difference between Z520a and Z525a is the Push-to-talk on the Z525a.

Please note that some Sony Ericsson phones have been observed randomly disconnecting from the vehicle. It seems to be an issue specific to certain phones, but there is no good way to tell which ones it affects (they don't expose the software versions).

I hope that helps.
    Thanks for the info, 'bluetooth'

No tab for multiple trsfrs -- However, i can send to the Nav system phone book -- individually -- by: 'send to bluetooth'

Not as good but, better than manual.
    Dear Bluetooth,

Re: TCH with Nav: I can not access the Voice Tag registration page?

I can use the talk button to 'voice' a number -- but, the manual states you must register a 'voice tag' --

Help???
    Hi folks,

Just wanted to report that I ended up with the Sprint Katana as recommended by BluetoothGuy (thanks!). It paired easily. It transfers phone book entries just fine. At first it wouldn't dial. I changed a setting on the phone to something like "always allow bluetooth connections" and then dialing worked just fine, too.

Very happy with both the car and phone so far. :D
    Let me get back to you on that. I think it has something to do with going into the phonebook, selecting an entry, then there is a voicetag button that will let you record the spoken name. I can't recall the exact operation off the top of my head.
    Glad to hear it is working out for you! I think the phone may have prompted you when your were pairing it to the car if you wanted to authorize the connection permanently. If you don't set that during pairing, then you would have to go back and manually change it later. I am shocked that it wouldn't let you dial with that configuration. I will have to give it a try.

Regardless, good job on trouble-shooting and resolving and thanks for pointing the issue out.
    Yes - I believe it did prompt me during pairing, and being the paranoid type I didn't say yes - I left it at "ask". Since I am a computer person by trade I do understand that bluetooth uses a security code. I'm not sure why I didn't just authorize it to begin with. All's well that ends well.

My husband called me twice on the way to work this morning (the real test) and the sound quality was fine for both of us.

Now I just have to take a walk around the building here at work and see how good reception is. It should be fine, just like Nextel, from what my colleagues have told me.

Thanks for all your help and great advice, bluetoothguy.
    I have posted the detailed procedure to register voice tags at greenhybrid.com
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Can you repost it here for our community? That would be great!
    The procedure to register voice tags is as follows:

Go to edit phone book screen----select name for editing----touch left bottom arrow of edit contact data screen----touch "voice Rec" of voice recognition:off screen----touch "Rec" to record a voice tag.

Repeat above procedure to register up to 20 voice tags. Once this has been done, one can use the voice command of "dial by name" during driving without inputting the phone number.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Thanks!! :)
  • lefty1970lefty1970 Member Posts: 3
    Bluetoothguy -

How about transferring contacts via the VX-8100? Thanks!