Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Bluetooth Questions

Comments

• davidinnhdavidinnh Member Posts: 3
    I've got the Motorola E-815 and it works fine with the '07 Camry but I'm wondering if there is some way to temporarily disable the hands-free operation without going through all the menus.

Specifically, if I'm driving and my wife wants to make a call, is there some way to turn the speaker off (either before or during the call)?

Thanks.

- Dave

OOPS! Just saw that this looks like the same as post #286. Sorry for the repetition!
  • mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    Are you talking about the Camry without navigation? Did you try using the voice command "Call Transfer" (during the call)?
    I didn't even know that command existed! And, yes, I was talking about the Camry without navigation. I'll look into the command. (I assume I press the "Listen" button and then say "Call Transfer"?

Just ran downstairs to the car and tried it. It works! Wish I'd seen that before. (I didn't know the voice recognition stuff worked during a call.)

Thanks a lot!
    - David
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    Imagine all the wasted trees and money spent on cranking out those owners manuals no one bothers to read..... :P
    As it turned out, I went back to the manual and I still couldn't find anything about how to do the transfer from the car back to the phone. The Camry manual said to check with the phone's manual and didn't have anything about the "Call Transfer" voice command. The phone manual also didn't say anything about how to transfer back to the phone.

It is possible I missed it somewhere but I don't think so.

Maybe you have a newer version of the manual than I do.

Anyway, thanks for your help.
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    Naw...when you posted you went downstairs and tried it, I assumed you looked in the manual and tried it. My bad. ;)
  • jbednarjbednar Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE A MOTOKAZR WITH VERIZON AND EVRYONE I CALL CAN HARDLY HEAR ME TOO. PAID BIG MONEY FOR THIS JBL! :mad: READ BOTH MANUALS AND NO ADJUSTMENT FOR MIC GAIN.
    I'm glad that worked for you. Actually I don't have a manual, I was looking some material distributed to dealers. So I don't know what's in the manual. Also, FYI, while in a call you can say "Mute" to toggle mute on/off (you can press the Off-Hook button to do the same thing) as well as send touch tones e.g. say "#1234" followed by "Send". (However if you do this frequently your best bet is to code these tones to one of the 6 preset speed dial buttons and just hit the preset button to send the tones.)
  • yarzyyarzy Member Posts: 2
    I have a Sony Z520a phone with a 2007 Camry without nav. I can pair the phone just fine, but I am having a really hard time uploading the phonebook. When I go into the phone, the "Hands Free" only has handsfree as a service. Do I need to have a push service or something? This phone worked on my 2006 Prius without a problem. PLEASE DON'T MAKE ME ADD EACH NUMBER IN!!!! :) Any help would be great!

Thanks again!
  • dgarrettdgarrett Member Posts: 1
    :( I have a Motorazr 3m----Have to tell phone to repair each time--- is there a way around this---sometimes phone will connect but have to say yes to allow phone to pair each time phone or car is turned off---do not have NAV
  • navguynavguy Member Posts: 61
    FYI - I have been told by a couple of people that Sanyo's Katana from Sprint is a killer handset! All of the telephone numbers can be "pushed" to the radio or navigation, and the sound quality is excellent!
  • bluetoothguybluetoothguy Member Posts: 89
    If you have the system without navigation, it only accepts one number at a time. For each number that you store, you must record a voice tag for voice recognition dialing. The Z520a should support sending a single contact at a time to the handsfree system in the same fashion it is done with the Prius. You may need to have the phone search for new devices that can accept the contact info. The main issue is that you must initiate the transfer from the handsfree side. Do this by:
    1. push the talk switch
    2. after the beep, say "Phonebook, Add Entry"
    3. when prompted, say "By Phone"
    4. when prompted, say "confirm"
    5. now use the phone to send the contact to the handsfree
    When you pair, does the phone ask you if you want to Turn Bluetooth on Temporarily? If so, you need to go into the Bluetooth settings menu and toggle Bluetooth Power to ON. If you on turn it on 'temporarily', it will turn itself off each time the connection to the vehicle is dropped.

If you need further details, let me know. If this doesn't fix it, you may need to take either your phone or vehicle in for service. I would try a different phone before going to the dealership.
    It is pretty slick and does transfer the entire phonebook at once to the navigation system. Sound quality is indeed pretty good.

...and it comes in pink, if that's your style!
  • rgl1rgl1 Member Posts: 1
    I have LG5300 non bluetooth phone. I purchased Jabra A210 and have made multiple attempts to pair them with no success and suggestions? Getting frustrated.
    Go into the handsfree setup of the vehicle and change the passkey to '0000'. After that is complete, try pairing again.
  • yarzyyarzy Member Posts: 2
    First off, I want to thank everyone here that got me working with my 520a phone in my 2007 camry. I just am wondering how to change the volume of the ringer when a call is coming in, it is really loud sometimes!!!

Any ideas?
  • hairless1500hairless1500 Member Posts: 2
    I have a V551 paired already, I just got a Razor V3 for wife. What is the procedure. Book says up to 6 phones can be paired. Do I have to change the Passkey for the Razor. Have not tried anything yet. The owners manual is very vague on it. Or else I dont understand it.
    Thanks
    Did you try the volume up/down buttons on the steering wheel?
    The two phones can use the same passkey. You have to go into the phone setup and add the new phone. (Setup -> Phone Setup -> Pair Phone). Once the second phone is paired, in order to swap between the two phones, you can use the 'select phone' function (Setup -> Phone Setup -> Select Phone). This is where the stored voice-tag for the phone comes into play.
  • hairless1500hairless1500 Member Posts: 2
    Thank You, I will try it tonight when she gets home.
  • karvin1999karvin1999 Member Posts: 1
    I had no trouble pairing my new LG chocolate phone with my new 2007 camry (w/nav), but I haven't been able to transfer my phonebook. I just got the car last night, so admittedly I haven't tried that hard yet. But any help would be appreciated!
  • annapolis_seannapolis_se Member Posts: 7
    Karvin,

are you using Verizon as your service provider? They have disabled the file transfer protocols OPP/OBEX on all of their phones. I have the RAZR V3m and my phone book hangs everytime I try to sync it.

I have been trying to find a person at Verizon to unlock this feature but no luck. I work from my car 6 hour a day and have about 400 entries in my phone. I really don't want to manually enter them, but it may be the only option.
  • brownie523brownie523 Member Posts: 22
    For some reason, when using the bluetooth function in the car, the person I'm talking to tells me they hear an echo. Does anyone else have this problem?? :confuse:
    The Chocolate will transfer the entire phonebook to the car. The interesting point is you must perform the transfer from the phone's bluetooth menu. Please follow the instructions found here:LINK
    Try turning the volume down a bit by pressing the steering wheel volume control button while you are in an active call. If that doesn't fix it, I don't know what to tell you.
  • mr1033mr1033 Member Posts: 2
    if anyone knows where the "off-hook'switch is, I am using the no_navi/non-hybrid vehicle. I just can't seem to start the whole phone setup thing. thanks
    It should be on the steering wheel next to the airbag. It looks like a little phone with the handset being lifted. If you don't have this button, your vehicle probably is not equipped with Bluetooth.
  • mr1033mr1033 Member Posts: 2
    I see. Thats what's tricking me, because i clearly see the microphone piece at the top and my stereo has the BT icon, i can see it when its not lit
  • marciakmarciak Member Posts: 8
    I just had to replace my old Verizon Motorola v710, which worked perfectly with my '07 no-nav Camry, with another one. I can't pair this one. When I have it "look for device", the phone scans for devices and finds none. There is nowhere to input the passkey numbers. This may be a phone issue but if anyone has any ideas on how to get this to work I'd appreciate. I already spent 1 1/2 at Verizon today exchanging my phones!
    Before anyone bothers to answer this...I ended up going back to Verizon. I tried pairing the phone with a headset and no luck. As it turned out, the Bluetooth function was bad on the phone, got a new phone and now it works again in the Camry! This is a great forum...lots of good knowledge here!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Glad you got it worked out!
  • anniemfuseanniemfuse Member Posts: 66
    annapolis_se wrote:
    "are you using Verizon as your service provider? They have disabled the file transfer protocols OPP/OBEX on all of their phones."

There is a new Verizon Bluetooth clamshell phone as of Feb 7th 2007 - the Pantech PN-820 (listed on the Verizon site as Verizon PN-820).

The chart at http://support.vzw.com/pdf/BT_Chart_PDAs.pdf
    lists Bluetooth functionality for each Verizon Bluetooth phone. This chart is dated 2/2/2007. It lists that OPP is available for this phone - OPP is Object Push for vCard. The same chart says the Motorola Q also has OPP.

At a different web site location, http://support.vzw.com/pdf/BT_Car_Kit_VZW_820.pdf,
    the chart there lists Bluetooth features for the PN-820 by Car Model. For Toyota it says only single name, single number phonebook transfer.

Has anyone tried linking the the Verizon PN-820?
    In May I upgrade my Verizon phone. Any recommendations? I have till May so maybe more options will be available??? I'll be following this forum so hopefully, this will help all us Verizon users!

Marcia
    Ask that question again in May. A lot can change between now and then. My current recommendations for the non-navigation system are mostly Motorola phones. The recommendations for Navigation systems are mostly the LG phones, simply because they support transferring multiple contacts at once (which is not supported by the non-navigation system). However, I have noticed that the sound quality with the LG phones seems a bit worse that the others. If you are looking for a PDA / Smart Phone recommendation, please let me know.
    The PN-820 cannot successfully transfer the entire phonebook. It is able to send a single entry at a time. Also, the status indicators will not work (signal strength, battery, roaming).
  • kingpenguinkingpenguin Member Posts: 1
    I have a cell phone that lets me push one button and then tell it to call someone in my cell phone book using voice commands. Is there any way to access this feature through the Camry? So far all I can make it do through the Camry is dial one of the 20 numbers in the Camry phone book. Also, is there any way to increase the size of the Camry phone book? It appears that 20 numbers is the maximum. Neither the salesman or the manual mentioned this limit.
    Thanks.
    Actually, I was thinking about the Treo but saw on the forum that it's not working all that well. Also, on the Toyota site, it's not listed anymore.

I will check back in May!

Marcia
  • bsorrbsorr Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased the 07 XLE without nav. I already had the LG8300. I have not had any issues getting the bluetooth system to work and my sound in the car is fantastic. However, the people on the other end say that I sound like I am in a tunnel and the sound fades in and out. The volume control fixed the echo but they still say it's hard to hear me. Is it my phone or do you think it's another problem??
    Unfortunately, No. There is no way to access the voice dialing of the phone through the Camry handsfree system. 20 numbers is the maximum. You can assign 6 of those 20 to the speed dial buttons on the front of the radio.
    My only recommendation is to try a different phone. There is no adjustment available for the vehicle's microphone.
  • heffymacheffymac Member Posts: 1
    Have 07 Camry XLE no nav. Paired Razr v3m once as per instructions in both phone and car manuals. Worked well one day. Next time I went to use it, the car said it couldn't find phone and phone said it couldn't find car signal. Tried deleting everything to start from scratch again with no luck. Calif. has new law saying must use hands free. Can't because phone and car can't see each other. Help!!
    I have this problem with the trade-in replacement phone I have. What I do is just turn off the phone and turn it back on. That seems to get the bluetooth connected again. It's a pain to do this but it does work. HTH
  • rugbymanrugbyman Member Posts: 8
    There's also a 'select phone' option in the Camry menu. My wife's phone (Moto Razor) and mine (Moto E815) are both setup and we use this option to select which phone to connect to. You could try and use this to connect to you phone instead of turning the phone off / on.
  • beltloopbeltloop Member Posts: 4
    I have a Bluetooth-enabled cellphone that doubles as an MP3 player. I've successfully paired it with the handsfree Bluetooth system on my 2007 Camry, and the system works great for making and receiving calls. But I'd also like to be able to play the MP3s on the phone through the car's speaker system, and there doesn't seem to be a way. Am I missing something?

BTW, the phone doesn't have a stereo output jack, so the AUX connector on the Camry isn't a viable alternative.
  • hause55hause55 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Camry SE with bluetooth and the JBL stereo system. I am trying to access my trip computer to display my mpg etc. and can't find how to do it. The manual says that there is a display button on the steering wheel but that seems to be replaced by the bluetooth audio controls. Please somebody help me out on how to access the trip computer information. Thanks.
  • jg6jg6 Member Posts: 70
    Don't think the SE has a trip computer, pal.

You'll have to buy an XLE to get one.

Like check you sales brochure or owners manual.
    No, you're not missing anything. It's not possible to play music via Bluetooth on the Camry. (Or any other current vehicles that I know of.) Maybe there are aftermarket devices to convert from Bluetooth to a stereo output plug? I know there are devices that do the opposite (stereo output jack to Bluetooth).
  • 3rab3rab Member Posts: 1
    it does, it is a push/turn action nob near the remaining gas level display
    push to display trip computers
    push and hold for 2/3 seconds to reset the trip counter
    turn to change to brightness on dashboard
  • jg6jg6 Member Posts: 70
    Unbelievable. That is not a trip computer!!!!

Those are just odometers!