Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Pontiac Grand Am Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• jtixjtix Posts: 2
    I had this problem as well and I have heard that intake gaskets as well as head gaskets can be the problem.
    However with the amount of money involved in either of these repairs I would check your radiator fan first.
    First off you need to see if the fan is working do this by first turning on the a/c while the car is running and it should come on immediately. If it does not bring the car up to operating temperature after you shut the a/c off, then let it get hot and see if it ever kicks in.
    If the fan does not kick in at all then take the fan out of the car and apply 12 volts of power to the fans contacts using your car battery and a couple of leads of some sort (Such as wire with alligator clips attached to the ends of the wire).
    After making contact if it does not come on switch the two leads around to make sure positive and negative leads are on the right contacts, only touch them breifly to make sure that it works.
    If it does not work then replace the electric fan. After you have tested this and you know that the fan works, put the fan back in the car as it was and secure it in place.
    Step two would be to go to the auto parts store and ask for a radiator fan relay. I own a 1998 grand am gt 2 door with the 3.1 or 3100 as it is called and my fan relay looks like a little square plastic box with terminals coming out of the bottom. Mine is located in the fuse panel just inside the drivers door on the end of the dash.
    Thier will only be one box in there that looks like this: (Replace It).
    Now start your car and test the fan again both by turning on the air and then shutting off the air, bring it up to operating temperature amd let it get hot or if it is not overheating now, rev the motor up and hold it for awhile in park or in gear until it does start to get hot and then the fan should kick in.
    Lastly if all else fails and the fan is still not woking then start the car go under the hood and find the thermostat housing which is on the drivers side inderneath the breather box hose that connects to your throttle body.
    Right in front of the thermostat housing built into it you will see a sensor that screws in to the housing with one or two wires on it. Release the retaining clip on the side of the connector while the car is running and pull off the connector from the sensor. You should then hear a click and the fan should come on right away. If it does not come on then you know the sensor is bad and needs replaced.
    Back to the parts store and ask for a coolant temperature sending unit. Always take the old part with you so that you know you get the right new part. When you get home replace that part as well as cleaning the connector for it really well. Put everything back together now and you should have NO MORE fan issues and your car should run cool.

By the way you should completely drain all of your crappy coolant and instead of using DexCool you should use regular prestone at a 70/30 mix meaning 30% water, this will protect your car from boilover up to 275 degrees. Dont mix any higher than that though,

Best of luck to you!!

Jeffery E Tix
  • jtixjtix Posts: 2
    I had this problem as well and I have heard that intake gaskets as well as head gaskets can be the problem.
    However with the amount of money involved in either of these repairs I would check your radiator fan first.
    First off you need to see if the fan is working do this by first turning on the a/c while the car is running and it should come on immediately. If it does not bring the car up to operating temperature after you shut the a/c off, then let it get hot and see if it ever kicks in.
    If the fan does not kick in at all then take the fan out of the car and apply 12 volts of power to the fans contacts using your car battery and a couple of leads of some sort (Such as wire with alligator clips attached to the ends of the wire).
    After making contact if it does not come on switch the two leads around to make sure positive and negative leads are on the right contacts, only touch them breifly to make sure that it works.
    If it does not work then replace the electric fan. After you have tested this and you know that the fan works, put the fan back in the car as it was and secure it in place.
    Step two would be to go to the auto parts store and ask for a radiator fan relay. I own a 1998 grand am gt 2 door with the 3.1 or 3100 as it is called and my fan relay looks like a little square plastic box with terminals coming out of the bottom. Mine is located in the fuse panel just inside the drivers door on the end of the dash.
    Thier will only be one box in there that looks like this: (Replace It).
    Now start your car and test the fan again both by turning on the air and then shutting off the air, bring it up to operating temperature amd let it get hot or if it is not overheating now, rev the motor up and hold it for awhile in park or in gear until it does start to get hot and then the fan should kick in.
    Lastly if all else fails and the fan is still not woking then start the car go under the hood and find the thermostat housing which is on the drivers side inderneath the breather box hose that connects to your throttle body.
    Right in front of the thermostat housing built into it you will see a sensor that screws in to the housing with one or two wires on it. Release the retaining clip on the side of the connector while the car is running and pull off the connector from the sensor. You should then hear a click and the fan should come on right away. If it does not come on then you know the sensor is bad and needs replaced.
    Back to the parts store and ask for a coolant temperature sending unit. Always take the old part with you so that you know you get the right new part. When you get home replace that part as well as cleaning the connector for it really well. Put everything back together now and you should have NO MORE fan issues and your car should run cool.

By the way you should completely drain all of your crappy coolant and instead of using DexCool you should use regular prestone at a 70/30 mix meaning 30% water, this will protect your car from boilover up to 275 degrees. Dont mix any higher than that though,

Best of luck to you!!

Jeffery E Tix
  • thewizkidthewizkid Posts: 2
    :confuse: My 95 GT CPE, just 103,000 miles on it, a stong 3.1 V6.
    It now has a clicking noise comming from motor ? Hope its not a major fix.
    Do I need to replace spark plugs,etc (tune-up),oil pressure is good - Tim
  • thewizkidthewizkid Posts: 2
    Got my window regulator at autozone for about $40.00,I have a 95gt cpe,easy fix,must take off,door panel,then remove the window,etc
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    Anyone have any experience replacing the 1/4 glass on the rear doors? I have one side broken and have three quotes for $300 plus to replace. How hard is it to do yourself?
  • wuzaaapwuzaaap Posts: 2
    I have a 95 grand am Quad 4 and it overheats pretty bad. The coolant was all gunked up when I got it but i flushed it all out and it still overheats. Everything else seems to work fine. Does anyone think i need a new radiator because its possibly gunked up at the bottom like they tend to do, and is there anyway to tell if thats the problem without actually buying a radiator and swapping it just to see if that helps? I realize it could be a leaky head gasket but i thought that would make it overheat pretty quick instead of overheating very slowly like its doing. I would appreciate any input on this.
    Is the radiator cooling fan working?
  • ww51ww51 Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Grand AM with a 3.1 V6. Lately when I drive it enough to get it completely warmed up then shut it off, it won't start until it sets about an hour. It acts like its starving for fuel when I try to start it hot. When It's cold, it fires right off. Anyone have any knowledge on this?
  • hgosinskihgosinski Posts: 22
    i just went through this with my car. i had the radiator flushed and filled first, and a new thermostat put in...that didn't work. i took it back to the place, and then they thought the same thing you are, the gunk at the bottom of the radiator. i guess the dexcool that they use in those cars is crap, and does gunk up your radiator. so, i get the radiator taken apart and cleaned out...still overheating. next, they said maybe it's the waterpump, but upon inspection of that, it wasn't. after almost a month, they finally figure out what's wrong. My intake manifold was cracked, and the gaskets needed to be replaced also. I just paid over 1000.00 to get my car to stop overheating. It works great now, but just be forwarned, that might be what's wrong witrh your car. These cars are such peices of [non-permissible content removed], i have had so many problems with mine, and it's only got 38,000 miles. I hope it's just gunk...good luck, keep us posted.
  • usaguy99usaguy99 Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Grand am GT with 23,000 miles on it. The dealer can not find the problems that I am having. After the cars sits and I go to start it, I hear sometimes a click noise or a clung sound coming from under the hood and the cars actually moves a few inches. Sometimes the noise is loud and sometimes I just hear a click sound. The other problem I am having is when I take my foot off the gas pedal on the highway and the car begins to slow down, the RPM's drop from 1800rpm to about 500rpm and then recover. Has anyone ever heard of these complaints? I can not find anything on the internet and the dealer thinks I'm nuts. Does anyone have any suggestions?? HELP!!!
    Just in case a change was made in 05 that I'm not aware of, it is an automatic, right?
  • usaguy99usaguy99 Posts: 2
    YES- it is automatic 4T45E transmission. Any ideas??
  • linda333linda333 Posts: 3
    I had a 2001 pontiact grand am with about 30,000 miles on it. Took it in for a tire to be fixed and they tell me that the gaskets is cracked...turns out the dexcool stuff eats the gaskets. They told me I could get along for awhile so I postponed the fix. About 2 weeks later, the cooling system went...luckily I was in the process of buying a new car. Would never buy a pontiac/GM again!
  • sfostersfoster Posts: 1
    I have had an intake gasket replaced, thermostat, O2 sensors, radiator cap and water pump replaced but my car is still overheating. Please help!! It doesn't overheat all of the time usually only when I drive it a distance. It usually runs around 220 to 230, but leaks antifreeze out of the overflow on the resevior. I do not know what to do. It runs hotter when I idle. I have put almost $900 in my car and it still isn't fixed. My fans seem to work. If someone can give me a suggestion I would appreciate it.
  • hgosinskihgosinski Posts: 22
    I feel your pain...I went through the same thing, if you read any of my earlier posts, you'll see. Yeah, that dexcool stuff is crap. I'm a little pissed, because when they flushed and filled the radiator, told me the dexcool was crap, then filled it back up with the same thing. Can't you just flush it out, and use regular antifreeze? If so, that's what I am going to do. I am getting warnings from people now, that have had the exact same car problems as me , telling me that the next thing that's gonna go is my head gasket! Tha would suck, because I am out of money...this car has drained my bank account! :mad:
  • I have a 1993 pontiac sunbird LE 4 cylinder.
    It is wobbling really bad. I bought a used one at pull-a-part, and its doing the same thing.
    I am at a loss on what to do. Should I try a brand new one, or could there be another reason its wobbling?
    I sure hope someone can help.
    Thanks in advance for any advise! Julie
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,655
    First thing that comes to mind is that there may be air in the system. Not sure on the GA, but there may be screws to bleed out air. Also you might want to check to see if pickup in overflow tank is properly placed (not hanging out in space or disconnected). Is the replacement radiater cap a GM one (I have heard some non-gm ones may not seat properly and cause problems like air intrustion)?
  • wuzaaapwuzaaap Posts: 2
    Well it turned out that it was the radiator, it was gunked up so bad i had to get a new one and flush the coolant again. But that did do the trick. I just wanted to thank the people who replied, I needed a little outside advice.
  • All those lights come on in my Grand Am too, it has been the wheel bearing was bad. Or it could also be leaking tranny fluid. Chances are it's the wheel bearing.
  • yes thats what i paid for my 96 grand am to be worked on but its cheeper to do it yourself...........i know that now
  • kip6kip6 Posts: 1
    my wife has a 2003 Grand am, and on her sun roof controls there is a button that says asc, what does that button do? Also, it won't open all the way when you just puch the open button.
  • My daughter has a 1998 Pontiac Grand Am with the 3100 V6 and it has 87K miles on it.

1st the temp gage does not work properly...it stays pegged at the bottom except occasionally, when coming to a stop the needle will jump up and drop. When it drops, the idle will surge up. After this happens, 9 out of 10 times, it will stall the next time you take your foot off of the accelerator.

Also, the check engine light came on and the error was that the temp sensor detected a hi input..

...I found and replaced the sensor and the gage worked for about 10 seconds then down she went again... :sick:

Thanks for looking and if anyone has a hint to how I should proceed I appreciate it!!!

• UPDATE: Traced the wiring from the sensor into a connector in the wiring harness and found that one of them was broken and only making occasional contact. Will be looking for a connector to replace the broken one. I'll update when I have done so to let you know if it worked... :confuse:
  • Couldn't buy a connector for under $24 so being the cheap dad I am, I rebuilt the connector and shazam...my daughters woes are over. I did notice though that it looks like the wiring on this thing has been redone a number of times so I'll probably be back looking for help again sometime!!

Thanks! :shades: :shades:
  • lulu55lulu55 Posts: 1
    Try Damper Dudes in Anderson, California. They are the harmonic balancer experts. They know all and have saved me so much time and agony.

Damper Dudes
    6180 Parallel Road
    Anderson, CA 96007

1-800-413-2673

Good Luck!
  • I have a 2003 Grand Am GT, it has 56,000 miles and my security light is on and I can't figure out how to get it off or if there is a major problem and i have to take it in.
    Please help! Thank you
    If the security light is coming on solid while driving then it's detected a problem in the system. It will need to be diagnosed to find out what the trouble code is.
  • Hi,

Need to replace the right front motor mount on my 94 grand am - 3.1L 6cyl. I have taken it apart and appear to have 3 components - the metal housing, the lower block/insert and a third item that was located within the housing at the top. Everywhere I went they told me that they could not find the third item. It is rubber and ripped in 2 so it must be replaced? Or is the insert that is sold today a replacement for the both the lower block and this third item. Thanks in advance! John
  • My wifes Grand Am (94' SE w/ V6 3.1 motor) has me stumped...not to meantion we won't get to work if this thing dies. When driving down the road , and pushing the accelerator a bit , it's starts doing what i thought was a misfire or pop noise - driving slow and light it runs fine, but under a bit of load it does the noise. Within the last few days , i changed the plugs (gapped correctly), air filter , fuel filter , and today used some throttle body cleaner spray - and it still has the problem, ..though with this last road test, i'm not sure if it's now a "pop" or a "clunk" sound. What the heck is this??! am i wrong? Could it be a tranny issue? Also , will one of those "Autozone" free computer scans find anything..if the car is not forced into the "noise"? H-e-l-p?? thanks.
  • Today I was driving and my automatic locks stated locking and unlocking. I pulled into a parking lot and my entire car filled with smoke. It was coming from the floorboard on the driver side. I got out of the car, checked my fuses the only ones that were blown were for my tail lights and my locks. I was able to make it to a shop about 20 miles across town. When we pulled back the carpet all of the wires were melted together. Has anyone had this happen or know why this might have happened?