Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!

Pontiac Grand Am Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• It smells like a dead animal! Its my daughters car, and thats the way she described it.Do you think it could smell that way if the antifreeze is old?
  • How did the coolant look? My mother-in-law's Grand Prix had this sludge stuff in there, and the level was really low. I don't remember how it smelled. The root of her problem was a blown lower intake manifold gasket (a pretty common problem on the 3.1L V6).
  • I looked at the coolant myself today. It was pink, not discolored. It was low, so my husband put more in the reserve tank. I smelled of it, and could detect a rubbery smell: Maybe a bad gasket?
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    How low?
  • It was about an inch or so below the fill line on the reserve tank.
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    Has it been necessary to add coolant on a regular basis?
  • No, this is actually the first time we have had to add any.
  • We replaced the lower timing pulley, and the harmonic balancer. Now the air belt and timing belt does not line up. (pulleys). I was told that there could have been a spacer-washer behind the pulley that might have broke off. We put everything we took off into a single container and it was not there when we put everything back.

Is there any way to find out exactly what could be missing? I have looked over my auto repair book with a fine tooth comb and cannot find a picture of one.

I tried to add a pic on here and it would let me. I have a good picture of the pulleys.

Thanks, Julie">
  • Your problems may just be beginning, debjk57, and a 2003 is out of warranty even if mileage does not exceed GM's miserable 36,000. Please review my post No. 239 for lots of sad details.

Your coolant leakage/disappearance is almost certainly due to failed intake manifold gaskets. Gradually the rate of leakage will increase until you start getting low coolant dashboard warnings. You may also start seeing some oil consumption between changes as a result of the same condition. GM is well aware of this long-standing problem but will do nothing to assist you or to stand by their product defect. Meanwhile, your dealership will be laughing all the way to the bank. Unless you're handy enough to tackle the job yourself, figure on ultimately forking out somewhere between $700 and $800.

Good luck
  • Need help - have a 99 grand am. Blower works on speed 5 but no other speed - would this be the resistor and how hard is it to change?
  • I have a 99 Grand Am Se.Bought it used,but it was only one year old and 30,000 miles.Luckly I had a warntty,as the automatic transmisson needed to be replaced,as it would stuttered in first gear.Before that the cruised control switch needed to be replaced.The dealer I bought it at told me,that would all be replaced at no charge to me,as it feel under the lemon law,as I had it only nine days after purchassing it.The most struggle was with the warntty company.First they told me that my rental was covered then,they changed their minds.Because I had gotten the name of the employee who told me it was covered,they told me that I wouldn't have to pay for any of the charges for the rental.However after the warntty expired,which was a two year.I had to replace the head gasket,alternator,water pump twice,thermostat,radio,and now it's the intake manafold gasket's.I call my Grand Am,the Caddillacs of Ponitac.Because it has all the bells & whistles,as well as, drives like one,plus the price and the headaches of the repairs. :lemon:
  • I didn't know they still make car's with timing chains? I thought they stopped that at the end of the 70's.I am aware that cars now a days self time themselves.Therefore,when you have a tune-up it will set its timing by its self. :confuse:
  • I have a car that will stall intermitently. Upon stalling the battery and oil pressure light will come on and the brakes and steering become difficult. Once I place it in park I'm able to start the car back up again and drive a little further before it happens again. The last time I drove 75 miles before it stalled out again. I live in Mich so it's rather snowy and cold right now. Any suggestions? Maybe a plugged gas filter and some water in the tank?
  • loydjloydj Posts: 1
    My son has a 2001 Grandam GT and I have gathered from many of the posts made here that my coolant leaking problem is probably an intake manifold gasket. But, while searching for the leaking source, I noticed what appears to be an overflow hose coming from the coolant expansion tank just below the cap and goes nowhere. How does the system maintain pressure with that kind of setup?
  • Must be different system than my '95. My '95 has two small hoses from the area of the expansion tank you describe... one goes to the top of the radiator, the other goes across the engine to the thermostat housing.
  • Ok, read alot about the intake gasket roting out due to the coolant 'Dex-Cool'
    What coolant should be used in the 2001 Grand Am GT, so i dont have the same gasket problem many others have had????
  • its the blowing motor. i had the same exact problem, they changed the resistor and it did nothing. so, they then changed the blowing motor and it was fine from then on out. the resistor is a cheap fix, but the blowing motor cost is 200 somethin dollars for everything.
  • lots of cars still have timing chains. timing chains prove to be better than the belts. the belts go bad unknowingly, but chains will let you know before they officially go bad and mess up your engine, they start making noises before they go bad. they arent even that expensive. dont let the word chain fool you into thinking its more primitive, b/c they seems to work well and last longer than belts.
  • well my head gasket it slowly leaking oil, not coolant yet. im just wondering, how long will it take for the coolant to start messing up and leaking through the head gasket also??????

93 pontiac grand am se
  • my abs light always comes on randomly, but never turns off until i turn the car off. the place i took it to said it could have been a bad censor, but i think they just said that because they werent sure. does anyone have similar problems?

1993 pontiac grand am se
  • The digital clock numbers work but I can't read them. I tried to find a fuse or something but can't. If the lighting is just right, I can faintly see the numbers. How can I make the numbers light up?
  • I HAVE A USED 95 GRAND AM ITS BEEN OVERHEATING FOR AWHILE I HAVE HAD ALOT OF WORK DONE TO IT I HAD THE WATERPUMP CHANGED THE THERMOSTAT CHANGED TWICE THE SECOUND TIME THEY CHANGED IT THERE WAS NOTHING LEFT BUT THE MEDAL RING THE RADIATOR CHANGED THE HEATER CORE CHANGED THE ALTERNATOR CHANGED HEATER HOSES WHERE CHANGED BRAND NEW EXHAUST FROM THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD TO THE CAT BACK MY OIL IS FINE THE COOLANT IS BROWN OR MILKY BUT I WAS LOOSEING ANTIFREEZE BEFORE AND NEVER NEW WHERE IT WAS COMEING FROM BUT NOW ITS LEAKING AND IM LEAKING OIL .IT DOSENT COME OUT IN BLACK SMOKE OR BLUE SO THE ONLY THING I CAN THINK OF IS A BLOWN INTAKE ANYONE THINK THEY COULD HELP WOULD BE GREAT.
  • hgosinskihgosinski Posts: 22
    The same thing happend to me. I have an 02. I had the water pump changed, the thermostat changed, and even the radioto...it was still overheating. It ended up being the intake manifol was cracked. This a a very common problem with the V6 grand ams.
  • Its true. Put your key in and turn until it is in the on position and wait 10 minutes until the security light stops flashing and then take the key out and then put it back in and start your car.
  • last time i was here i had said eveything i changed and the last thing was the intake well i changed the intake the gasket wasnt cracked or broke but when we went to change the gasket it should have been real hard tochange it but it wasnt it came off the manifold with no problem it had no seal to it whoever owned it before me didnt do it right so im not overheating now but i have to buy the inlet that goes to the thermostat houseing cause the mechanics broke it and im still leaking oil im fixeing that problem tomorrow so i will let u all know more and ps to everyone a grand am is a fourtune to own
  • boaboaboaboa Posts: 1
    I broke the accelerate cable while removing coolant sensor. I have a replacement part from local GM dealership around 24 bucks. Does anyone know how to replace it? Appreciate any help.
  • To debjk57--

I have a 2003 GT and last March the same thing happened to me. I ended up spending over $1400.00 to get this fixed. GM is being sued for this problem and there is a class action suit that is supposed to be settled in April or May of 2008. GM was aware of this problem, it stems from the gaskets, which are nylon, giving way to the Dexcool brand coolant. I understand that the coolant slowly breaks the gaskets down causing coolant to leak into the engine. Symptoms are the "low coolant" light coming on and the "service engine soon" light coming on. Whatever you do, if you feel that this is your problem, don't travel too far!! My car went in an instant, all the coolant leaked out onto the street and the temp gauge shot up like a missle and I couldn't drive my car.

GM unfortunately did not step up to the plate because they said that I had no complaints about my car prior to this, so there was no history. So, the law suit is good for them. I'm not sure if it's too late to join, but good luck.

The plus side of this story is, I haven't had any problems with my car since. I hope it stays that way for a while :)
  • hgosinskihgosinski Posts: 22
    Oh I hope I can get in on that. I have a 2002, with low miles, and last year I had my intake maifold replaced...becaus eof that stupid dexcool...It would be nice to ge something out of it. Thanks for the info!
  • philwilkenphilwilken Posts: 2
  • philwilkenphilwilken Posts: 2
    i can not remember how to reset the change oil light