Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2007 Toyota Camry Problems and Repairs

Comments

• Options
    tcfatasstcfatass Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a 2007 Camry CE in late AUgust. I have to say that it has been almost a complete disappointment. Acceleration is mediocre at best. I have noticed the flat spot in acceleration. My Dodge minivan accelerates more consistently than my Camry. The biggest disappointment is the mileage. I am barely getting 24 miles/gallon. My brother-in-law has a 2003 Camry and he drives through the city streets of Hartford, CT for his job and he is getting 31 miles/gallon.

Has anyone experienced such disappointing mileage and has the dealer offered any potential solutions? :( :mad: :lemon:
  • Options
    kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    You should go get the latest TSB (technical service bulletin) applied for hesitation and transmission shifting. Read the Edmunds Camry forum on transmission problems, I had posted a link to the TSB that you can print and take to the dealer.
  • Options
    I had the same issue. I took it back to the dealer and they rebalanced the front tires. Helped quite a bit. I still feel a vibration when I get it up to 75 mph. I think it is partly due to the Bridgestone Aptivas that came as standard equipment on the car. I am not impressed with Bridgestone tires. I had them on my old Subaru Forester and the treads wore down by 50k. I am planning on getting my tires rotated at the next oil change which should help,
  • Options
    bborchertbborchert Member Posts: 11
    I started or replied early on to this thread so I am still getting updates. I complained about the hesitation and also the fact that when I take my foot off the gas pedal it seems like the brakes are being applied.

Someone said to get the TSB- I had to convincene the dealer there was one. When I did get it done they said it was experiemental and they wanted our feedback. Well I had that done about 2 months ago- and about 3 weeks ago it started again. It is no worse than it was but it is bad. We have been a Toyota family for more than 10 yrs- no more. My husband has a truck and I had been telling him to get the bigger one- I wanted the new jeep looking one- or the 4 runner. We got the Camry because I wanted something sleek and cool looking (we got the model that looks like the car of tomorrow- pace car) and had the bells and whistles. Before this I drove the Echo which was awesome as I got 42 mls per gallon!! Well- I cannot wait to get rid of this- as soon as I can get $1 more than what I owe- it is out of here. Not so much because of the hesitiation- I would get another Toyota as it seems to be only the Camry (we have owned a Camry before this one) but for Toyota and the dealers to act like it is no big deal. It can kill someone- the first time I was pulling out into a busy traffic pattern- if I had been in my Echo or the truck I would have been fine but because I did not account for the hesitation and slow pick up I was within inches of getting hit. That is not a safety feature.
  • Options
    foxwood_21foxwood_21 Member Posts: 31
    I brought my 2007 Camry SE 4cyl into Toyota today for engine noise left it over night so they could hear the noise when it is cold. This is what the technician put on his WO "Sounds like cold engine piston slap. I have heard same noise on similar vehicles. NO TSB or updates or campaigns" BUT my paper work from the service advisor said this "vehicle operating to design intent and sound from engine is normal No action required none taken" I guess this is how Toyota tells all there dealers to say when they dont want to fix a vehicle.
    This was not my selling dealer , my selling dealer said a few weeks back that they could not duplicate noise.
    My Camry now has 40000 miles on it now. The oil has been changed every 5000 mile using synthetic oil and toyota oil filters.
    The car did not make this noise last year when it was cold I suspect i will have a engine failure when the miles get up there I will be calling Toyotas Customer Care about this.
  • Options
    teamtboteamtbo Member Posts: 78
    foxwood, I am sorry to hear about the engine noise and that the dealer is being deceptive. I think you just learned a very important lesson on dealing with dealers.

I brought my V6 Camry in several times for the shift flare and I was amazed at how often and how much effort they put in to trying to manipulate the wording on the Work Orders. I made sure that the wording was accurate before I would sign it. If not, I would have them reword it, reprint and then sign.

Do you have a copy of the original Work Order with the wording that said "...I have heard some noise on similar vehicles..."? If so, it may be too late to have them change any wording since the repair order is probably already closed. However, maybe you should go back again, show them the original invoice and tell them you want to try this again. Or maybe try another dealer.
  • Options
    I have both my copy and a copy of the WO that the technicn had The cashier gave me a copy. This is the second dealer I went to for this problem when it started to get cold here in Central NY state. My selling dealer said no problem found at this time.
  • Options
    zaken1zaken1 Member Posts: 556
    Piston slap will often develop in modern engines, as they accumulate mileage. A light degree of knocking on a cold engine is not an indication of excessive wear; the engine often will continue to run for its normal life expectancy without the noise getting worse. One likely cause that you may not hear about from the dealership is differences between oil brands, and oil grades. Some types of synthetic oil are more likely to cause piston slap than others. I've used Mobil 1 synthetic in my engine ever since it was new. I had been using 0W-30, and was getting an alarming amount of piston slap when the engine was cold. I moved to a different part of the country, and was unable to get 0W-30, so I switched to 0W-40. And the piston slap went away!!! The motor also runs better.

Because of government fuel efficiency restrictions on U.S. oil formulations, along with concern for their precious image; oil manufacturers and car dealers don't like to talk about things like that, but the reality is that some types of engines do much better with oil grades which are not the ones usually recommended. And some brands of oil just don't do well in certain engine designs.
  • Options
    Ok so you say I should change oil I am using Mobil 1 - 5W-20
    What do you suggest for the next oil change?
  • Options
    roadtripgirlroadtripgirl Member Posts: 20
    Unbelievable!! Thanks to all who are educating me very well on the Camrys! I need to get rid of my very sick 1999 Acura 3.0 CL (4th transmission @ 67K) and was very close to buying a 2007 V6 Camry. I appreciate it, guys!! ;-) Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply. I want to print out the service bulletin to bring to the dealer. I viewed your profile and I cannot find the TSB. Can you provide more information as the where I can find it?

Thanks,
    TC
  • Options
    kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    link to Edmunds Camry Transmission forum

036-07 is the latest one that you want.
  • Options
    zaken1zaken1 Member Posts: 556
    I would use Mobil 1 0W-40. That is a European formula, which is not compromised by 'fuel efficiency' regulations.
  • Options
    rrajarraja Member Posts: 7
    Hi,

In my 2007 4-Cyl Camry, I noticed that the panel where all the modes are listed ( P, N, 4-d, 3, 2,1) it is warm to hot after I drive for say 15 minutues. Is this normal?I drive at D- mode.

Please let me know.

-Raj
  • Options
    tda1tda1 Member Posts: 2
    I have noticed that my 2007 Camry has started to make rattle on the right hand side it appears to be coming from the roof or right front door. Any idea's what this may be?
  • Options
    Well Mine has the same noise coming from the roof bring it to the dealer so they can put on there Work Order " can not duplicate at this time " ..... And the the Toyota sory rolls on
  • Options
    samkhan1samkhan1 Member Posts: 7
    The noise I hear in the right side of my 07 Camry is the seat is rattling. The dealer, of course, saying that is normal. I am taking it back to the dealer for the fourth time. Seriously, I am thinking of dumping the car to Toyota. I can deal with for another 5 years! Any suggestions?
  • Options
    joel16joel16 Member Posts: 64
    of my 2007 Camry. It turns out to be the seatbelt buckle banging against the inside of the door. I either pull it back away from the door, or connect it together. Other than that, no other noises. It's getting colder around here; that sometimes brings out the creeks and rattles in a car. I'll keep you posted.
  • Options
    stlpike07stlpike07 Member Posts: 229
    Samkhan,

Are you sure its the seat? When I drive alone (no one in the front seat) the plastice part of the seat belt buckle bangs against a plastic part of the car and rattles. I added some padding and it stopped.

You could try taking it to another dealer or call corporate toyota and set up a case/claim with them.
  • Options
    eroc69eroc69 Member Posts: 56
    I had a rattle in the front pass. seat during my test drive. The salesman of course sitting there would make the seat not rattle but when I got done with the drive, I told him to exit the car and just putzed around inside, I tapped on the fr. pass seat and lo and behold RATTLE RATTLE RATTLE.
    It was fixed prior to delivery BUT the seat shakes soooo much just driving around its bound to 'loosen up' soon.

I also have a rattle in the dash near the pass. side speaker assembly where the dash meets the window...
    It getting too much with this car.

I just got a set of Bridgestone Potenza G-009s. COst me only $32.00 a tire cause I got them to do it under 'mileage warranty adjustment'
    Ive only driven 15 or so miles since yesterday, Ill comment on them soon as I am going out tonight maybe on the highway/.
    My car still shakes and shimmies like a downtown 'lady' :P
  • Options
    nmt001nmt001 Member Posts: 124
    Any 2007 Camry owner who is able to return the vehicle to Toyota by winning the Lemon Law should do it. I also advise them NOT to get a replacement 2007 or 2008 Camry if it is offered.

My advice to get rid of the 2007 Camry is based on safety reason. Besides the list of troublesome non-safety related problems, I found out there is a significant number of complaints of AIR BAGS FAILED TO DEPLOY. Click on the link to go to the Office of Defects Investigation website and check under the three components containing the words Air Bags:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/complaintsearch.cfm

Just like the 2007 Camry that I had before, one of the complaints from that website is about Airbag ON/OFF Switch Assembly. In the Camry that I had, the front passenger side sensor OCCASIONALLY registered a 10 pounds load as sufficient weight to activate the airbag and gave off an alarm AFTER I HAVE BEEN DRIVING FOR A WHILE to warn the non-existent passenger to put on the seatbelt (scared the hell out me the first time). So if someone put a 30 pound child on that seat with the seatbelt on, the sensor may register it as an adult and deploy the airbag in an accident when it shouldn't be deployed to avoid injuring the head of the child.

In contrary, the sensor on the 2007 Camry of the Airbag ON/OFF Switch Assemble of a complainant on that website fails the oppose way. It OCCASIONALLY fails to register the 100 pound wife of the complainant as being sufficiently heavy to activate the passenger side airbag. The 174 pound complainant had to start the car with him on the passenger seat to activate the airbag then got off to let his wife sit there. If the husband were not safe-conscious enough to check the Airbag ON/OFF light before driving and got into a serious accident, it would have become another case of injury or death due to air bag failed to deploy.

What I cannot tolerate is that both Toyota dealerships that the complainant went to for checking out the air bags claim that the sensor for the passenger side airbag in his 2007 Camry is working fine. The problem is, just like my case, the sensor only malfunctions OCCASIONALLY . There is no way to prove it unless it happens to malfunction during check up or that Toyota really cares to find out the problem. So good luck with playing Russian roulette.

In addition to 11 people injured in accidents in which the air bags of the 2007 Camry failed to deploy as reported in the 7 complaints, there is a report from a guy named Jerry on the 2008 Toyota Camry Review site saying that an insurance agent was killed when the air bag in his Camry failed to deployed after hitting a run away horse.(No complaint of death found yet on the ODI website probably it because no one files the complaint on behalf of the agent yet).

We are still a month away from the end of 2007, however the number of reported Airbags Failed to Deploy in the 2007 Camry in the ODI website is more than double that of the 2006 Camry which has a greater number on the road as well as on the road much longer than the 2007 Camry. I think substandard parts used by Toyota in manufacturing the 2007 Camry is the reason for the drastic increase in cases of airbag failed to deploy.

For comparison, the 2007 Honda Accord has only one report of airbag failed to deploy and no report of death or injury due to airbag failure to deploy.

How about the 2007 Ford Fusion? There is zero complaint of airbags related to defects . However, there is a MALICIOUS complaint from an ANONYMOUS person rambling on a THEORETICAL basis that the seatbelts and the side airbags are not safe [enough to protect the occupants] in a rollover- a scenario which actually applies to ALL vehicles, not just the Ford Fusion. There is no death or injury related to the report, not even a minor accident. There is also no complaint of the seatbelts and the side airbags of the 2007 Ford Fusion being defective in anyway in the report. The anonymous person is even vile enough to file another malicious complaint with the same complaint number under the component seatbelt even though there is no report of defect of the seatbelts on the 2007 Ford Fusion.
    ( I have emailed the ODI requesting the deletion of the two malicious reports possibly from an employee of a rivaling company to violate 2007 Ford Fusion's clean record on airbags and seatbelts.)

To sum it up, as on Nov 19, 2007:
    The 2007 Ford Fusion has ZERO COMPLAINT regarding airbags and seatbelts with real reason for complaint: no defects , no failure to deploy, no death or injures related to the two safety devices.
    The 2007 Toyota Camry has 7 complaints of Airbag Failed to Deploy, 1 complaint of Airbag ON/OFF Switch Assembly, 11 officially reported injuries related to accidents in which the airbags failed to deploy and one yet to confirm death.

Toyota must take responsibility for the safety of its customs by looking into the reason for the abnormally high rate of airbags failed to deploy and fix the problem without making lame excuses. Using human beings as guinea pigs in real crashes is not a moral way to find out if the airbags in a car is defective or not. :lemon:
  • Options
    Due to the wrong interpretation of the meaning of the alarm, I would like to re-write the third paragraph (not counting the link to the ODI website) as follows:

"In the Camry that I had, the front passenger side sensor was not functioning properly. OCCASIONALLY it registered a 10 pound load as sufficient weight to be an infant and gave off a wear seatbelt alarm AFTER I HAD BEEN DRIVING FOR A WHILE to give warning that the front passenger side seatbelt need to be used (scared the hell out of me the first time). The fact that it gave an alarm only after I had driven for a while instead of after I started the car and that the 10 pound load only set off the alarm occasionally means the senor was not accurate or malfunctions.

I apologize for the wrong interpretation of the meaning of the alarm.
  • Options
    tda1tda1 Member Posts: 2
    I hear the same thing it seems that the sound is coming from the roof. I took the car to the dealer and sure enough no sound while on a test drive. Very frustrating. I will try and put somthing on the seat belt but it has to be more than that.
  • Options
    stlpike07stlpike07 Member Posts: 229
    Did you write that yourself or copy and paste it from somewhere? Its a well-written note. However, people will still continue to buy the Camry and it will liekly continue to be one of the best selling cars in America.

The "alarm" will go off once you go faster than 11 or 12 mph when a seatbelt is not put on/clipped in place.

I've heard plenty of complaints from real owners about their Ford Fusions.

If this issue is so important to you I suggest contacting major media outlets accross the country, because maybe only a few hundred people will read that post.

I'd like to know more information about all of those accidents. Airbags do sometimes fail. If the sensors are not triggered they will not deploy and even sometimes when they are damaged in an accident that do not deploy. Thats why seatbelts are so important, along will driving safely and following the rules and laws of driving.
  • Options
    I agree its something in the roof I wont have to worry soon
    I am negotiating for a 2008 Honda Accord I am done with Toyota....
  • Options
    blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    The grass is never greener on the other side. Honda cars have their issues also. My '08 Accord EXL with 1k miles had a rattle in it since the day I bought it. I am frustrated with the horrible road noise again with the '08. I expended a lot of time & energy chasing down rattles in my old '03 Acccord, filed & won a Lemon arbitration with my '06 Honda Odyssey.

Now, today it is more & more apparent to me even the best 2 car companies (Honda & Toyota) do not build perfect cars anymore.

Let us know how you made out with your deal. I am curious to see if Honda gives you a good trade-in price.
  • Options
    dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    It's to bad you didn't learn your lesson after the first 2 :lemon:
  • Options
    I wrote the post all by myself. I am neither a professional writer nor someone good at car mechanics. But I do have the heart to care about traffic safety.

I agree with you that,"people will still continue to buy the Camry and it will likely continue to be one of the best selling cars in America ". However, I hope your response, which is proper from a consumer, does not represent the response and mentality of the Toyota management on this safety issue. If it does, it would be a perfect example of apathetic complacency.

You say that" The "alarm" will go off once you go faster than 11 or 12 mph when a seatbelt is not put on/clipped in place." First, I doubt if that is true. Why did the designers not design the car to give you warning as soon as possible after you have started the car but wait until you are already on the road? Not only that it will cause distraction of the driver who wants to find out what the alarm means while driving the first time it happens, he may also have to park the car again to figure out the problem. Remember, a 10 pound load could trigger on the sensor in my formerly owned Camry only OCCASIONALLY when no passenger was on the seat, so I had no idea the alarm was for seatbelt until the third time I parked the car to investigate. This is not a safe design if what you say is true. Second, both times that I experienced the alarm suddenly went off with the 10 pound load on the front passenger seat, I was driving on the road at about 35 mph (speed limit of that road is 40) and I was already on the road for a few minutes. Luckily it didn't happen on the freeway, or I had to exit and subject to further delay. So even if what you say is true, there is still something wrong with the sensor on that Camry.

How about the husband and wife who have to do position exchange whenever the sensor malfunctions but two Toyota dealerships say there is nothing wrong with the sensor. That is very frustrating and unacceptable.

Of course the Ford Fusion, in fact any models, would have minor problems that cause complaints. However, whatever minor problems or potentially major problems the Ford Fusion may have, I believe Ford would take care of it seriously to the customers' satisfaction as it learned a good lesson from its past mistakes. That is likely to be one of the reasons why Ford has a much lower rate of complaint on 2007 Fusion on the ODI website besides the improvement in quality. You see if Toyota had been helpful to the customers with their complaints, that would surely cut down on the rate of complaints to the ODI website. Problematic product plus awful service is the combination that causes the high rate of complaint on the ODI website.

Even though the issue of abnormally high rate of airbags failed to deploy in 2007 Camry is no longer my safety concern, I still feel that I have the moral obligation to do my part to bring the problem to the attention of people affected by it as an owner or as Toyota members responsible for solving the problem.

I think Toyota deserves the chance to investigate and solve this problem without subjecting it to massive media pressure. Besides, contacting major media outlets across the country on this issue should be done by 2007 Camry owners or drivers if they feel this issue is important to them.

You can click on the link I provide on my previous post and make your choice to go to the reports. Then click on "Get Summary" at the right bottom corner of each report and you will see the Complaints Summary about the accidents.

It is true that seatbelts are extremely important to avoid or reduce injuries or death in accidents. However, the importance of airbags should never be underestimated or ignored because they can provide extra protection to the adults especially against hitting their head on the steering wheel in high speed front collisions.
  • Options
    exploder750exploder750 Member Posts: 159
    I have a friend who wrecked a 2006 Camry rental unit, a clear front end collision. His air bags failed to deploy.
  • Options
    On further document research into the malicious report against the 2007 Ford Fusion, I found that the name of the 'complainant' may have been provided but no VIN has been given as the 'complaint' was not based on any defect found on the 2007 Ford Fusion but based on lots of assumptions that don't make sense or is the scenario that can happen to all vehicles in a rollover.

The most ridiculous thing in the two malicious reports against the 2007 Ford Fusion WITHOUT ANY ACTUAL FAILURE is that they have been reposted on November 21, 2007 with the claim that the Date of Failure was on January 1,1901.
    How is that possible? The 2007 Ford Fusion is not a time machine like the one in Back To The Future.
  • Options
    motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Are you a FORD salesman ?
  • Options
    Whether I'm a Ford salesman or not has no relevant to the veracity of what I say.
    Just think of me as someone who cares about traffic safety regarless of who I work for.
  • Options
    motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    I am sorry but your messages sound more like a FORD commercial than a genuine concern for safety of TOYOTA. And since you don't own a Camry it is interesting why you would waste so much of your energy on this board.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I think we can all agree that this is not the right place to talk about the Fusion. Nmt001, maybe you'd like to join the folks in the Fusion/Milan group to continue that conversation.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! :)
  • Options
    bmarkbmark Member Posts: 52
    I just started reading this forum, and didn't know about the airbag issue, but my ex-wife had a 2001 Lexus es 300 ( same as the Camry) and was in an accident going 30 miles an hour and she t-boned another car. When I saw the car I was shocked that the airbags hadn't gone off. The dude at Lexus said that was normal, but since she wasn't injured I didn't push the issue. But I thought it was a little strange.
  • Options
    OK, I'm not going to talk or even mention any model other than the 2007 Camry, which I owned before. Being a former owner of the 2007 Camry with problems qualifies me to talk about it more than people who just test drive it. But no more comparative studies from now on.

Since you want to know. No, I don't work for Ford or related to Ford in any way.
    Of course it is a genuine safety concern for safety of 2007 Toyota Camry owners. I have written long letters to Caltran complaining about unsafe road condition too. I just care about traffic safety. It's my nature.

It is deplorable that you say I "waste" my time and energy on this board when what I wrote is about safety and is based on facts and careful analysis. I am not an apathetic person like you are. Hope you don't work for Toyota.

Time will tell if I am right or wrong about the airbag issue but you are surely wrong to sneer at someone who give you warning with statistic support.
  • Options
    silverfox5silverfox5 Member Posts: 84
    On review of your scathing condemnations of Toyota Camry, followed by what appear to be politicized endorsements of Ford Fusion, I must question the logic you use to arrive at those opinions--and it must be said they are clearly opinions, not factual nor proven conclusions by any stretch of one's imagination.
    Contrary to your claim of 'statistic support' for your opinions, there is none--at least as yet!
    Using unsubstantiated and uninvestigated complaints from any net site--even the NHTSA--cannot and should not be held out as 'statistically valid proof ' of anything.
    You yourself claim that one such complaint about Fusion is 'malicious', yet how do you know that any or all the complaints about Camry fall into the same category?
    It has to be made clear those 'complaints' are NOT YET investigated, nor are they even verified as originating from legitimate sources.
    I read an article in the Washington Post last year quoting a senior official of NHTSA saying that more than half of the claims made to them cannot be substantiated, and they have a problem separating 'real' complaints from 'frivolous' complaints--incorrect or false addresses, VIN nos., etc., or no responses when contacted for more info, and so on.
    The author of article went on to say that he was able to enter a complaint and have it published using fictitious information.
    The article further stated that NHTSA is obliged to publish complaints from any and all sources---before they are investigated for authenticity. Those complaints you place so much credibility on are merely verification NHTSA has received and opened a file to investigate them.
    Proof of any authenticity only occurs when results of investigations are published--usually resulting in a recall by the manufacturer. When able to point to investigative results would be the proper time to draw conclusions, not before.
    In spite of those alleged concerns about 'safety' and dire consequences quoted from unverified sources, no conclusions should be made--other than any such conclusions merely be considered alarmist rhetoric.
  • Options
    Toyota did not admit there was hesitation or engine flare problem with the 2007 Camry when it was first introduced but the TSBs issued later confirmed that those were real problems.

A malicious report can be easily identified by the lack of Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) provided, lack of defects reported and lack of accident reported on the concerned vehicle.

However, the 7 complaints of airbags failed to deploy in the 2007 Camry and 1 complaint of deploying at low speed of 10m/hr are all provided with VIN. All 8 complaints report injuries in the accidents. I think it is not fair to believe all the injuries in those accidents could have been prevented or reduced had the airbags been deployed or not been deployed as expected by the complainants. However, it is very unlikely those are malicious reports unless a company considers any accident report involving complain of possible defect as a malicious report.

It is true that proof of authenticity only occurs when results of investigations are published-usually resulting in a recall by the manufacturer.
    Previous cases of recall show us that they require accumulation of accident reports involving the alleged defect to a significant level and then takes a long time for the investigation to be conducted.

It's up to the consumers themselves to decide if they would just wait for the results of investigation of those complaints or take heed of those complaints. In the meantime, everybody must buckle up.
  • Options
    silverfox5silverfox5 Member Posts: 84
    Your comments re airbag deployment issues can only be qualified as speculative.
    Until such time as NHTSA complaints are determined to be authentic; all facts disclosed and verified, and causes determined (if any), no conclusions can, nor should be, be drawn.
    I do agree that it's up to the beholder to decide upon your condemnations; however it makes one wonder as to the underlying motive--why such alarmist comments are directed only at Toyota . :confuse:
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Well, I think you've made your point very clearly and we appreciate your concern, but I believe it's time to move on. If anyone around here has this experience, we can certainly reopen it, but for now let's move on to other topics.
  • Options
    Taking heed of high rate of complaints regarding airbags failed to deploy and making sure to buckle up just in case the airbags sensors turn out to be defective are proper things to do to ensure safety.

You say it right. When the beholders of any vehicle ignore warning signs because of their blind faith in the quality of the vehicle, they may have decided upon their own condemnations. However, I don't understand why you used the words "up to" . Do you mean condemnation is a good thing? I think it is more appropriate for you to say "The beholders are free to ignore warnings and decide upon their condemnations."

Of course Camry beholders like you would think of my comments as alarmist instead of alarming. But accusing my comments as alarmist can not change the fact that among all 2007 family sedan models of the same price range and even of the lower price range on the ODI website, Toyota Camry has the highest number of complaints of airbags failed to deploy and the highest number of reported injuries in accidents in which the airbags did not deploy (VIN provided in all such complaints) . Moreover, it's not just a little bit higher but much higher even when the number of vehicles sold is taken into consideration. The figures are also much higher when compared to the 2006 Camry. People can verify this on the ODI site.
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/complaintsearch.cfm
    That's the reason why the alarming comments are directed at Toyota Camry.

I see no logical reason why those alarming comments related to 2007 Camry should be directed at any other auto manufacturers.

This is my final post regarding airbags in the 2007 Camry.
  • Options
    dausdaus Member Posts: 4
    This is a follow-up to my previous posts #3691 & #4013. I had the latest TSB performed on my '07 4 cyl. XLE in October at 18,000 miles. Since the TSB, the shifting is definitely smoother with almost no lag and the downshifting I'd experience every time I'd take my foot off the gas is gone. Thank you, Toyota!!! I've since put on 800+ miles and in the last 2 tanks of gas I've even seen a slight improvement in gas mileage. (approx. 26 MPG w/ 90% city driving vs. 25 MPG before.)
    If it wasn't for this forum and the TSB info people have provided, I would have probably traded in this car very soon. Now I feel like I finally have the car I thought I was getting. I still haven't done a mountain roadtrip to see how it compares to my old 2000 Camry but that's next. I'll update when I do.
  • Options
    bborchertbborchert Member Posts: 11
    I am really glad it has helped so far. When I got the update mine was the same. The hesitation was almost gone and the shifting was a lot better- everything seemed to handle better- even got better gas. Well- someone said at 500 mls it would turn- but it did not. I was so happy.

Now it has finally turned - it has been a lot more than that. I don't know when I started this thread but since that time until 1 month ago it was great. Then I noticed the hesitation come back. Now it is so bad driving that it feels like when I take my foot off the gas it feels like I am braking! This is disconcerting. I HATE it.

I am- again- so mad. We have been a Toyota family- even extended family. I want this car gone ASAP. As soon as I can get more than I owe it is OUT OF HERE. I want to trust Toyota and believe this is just the new Camry's. I would love to get an Avalon or even the new truck/jeep looking thing BUT I just don't know. I think I might be better off going to Honda or Caddilac...
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    If you check you will find that there are 1-2 second downshift delay/hesitation complaints throughout the Toyota/Lexus FWD & F/AWD product line equipped with DBW. Some now even with the new '08 models.

But be aware that DBW is NOT the problem, it is only the FIX Toyota has selected for a poorly chosen transaxle design. Since the ATF pump in the transaxle does not have enough capacity to support a second shift, a QUICK sequential second shift, DBW is used to delay the onset of rising engine torque from a depression of the gas pedal that results in same.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "..when I take my foot off the gas it feels like I am braking!...."

This is most likely the result of the TSB you had performed. Since the transaxle cannot support a second shift procedure in quick succession to the previous while the engine is idling the best alternative is to simply NOT do the initial "upshift" at all. So Toyota has probably added a delay in the upshifting algorithm so now you sometimes get engine compression braking upon a lift throttle event whereas you used to get a quick UPSHIFT.

Obviously the new algorithm doesn't work in all situations so now you have the worse of BOTH cases.

I would imagine that you could salvage an ATF pump assembly from say a '98 and have a tranny shop install it but you would also have to add some ATF cooling capacity above the norm.
  • Options
    vencivenci Member Posts: 1
    I own Toyota camry 2007and I lost my fender liner after I hit a fox on highway and also my lock system stop make beeps every time when I lock or unlock my door.I found that some part under my fender missing because there is some free wire.when I lock or unlock the car the car lights blinks like usually but without beep.Is there anybody who knows what is the exact name of this part(I think that is some sensor or relay),thank you
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    fender liner? I plead ignorance!

FWIW: most likely, the wires hanging down (i presume close to the bumper are for a driving light, side light or turn signal, or possibly wiring to a windshield wiper fluid resevoir (don't know where they are located on that model).

w.r.t. bizzare electrical system behavior following the hit, one thing you might want to do is open the hood, locate the fuse box if there's one there, and firmly press down on all relays and fuses.

also, if there is a kick plate (or plates) in the vehicle interior for additional fusing, on either the passenger or drivers side, or under the dash make sure everything is snug there as well.

use your owner's manual to identify the location of various fuse and relay centers in your vehicle...
  • Options
    nmarcel1nmarcel1 Member Posts: 21
    After reading several posting regarding this hesitation problem... I'm confused... some folks say that a software upgrade fixed the hesitation problem but some are saying it made it worse. I have the 2007 Camry LE (4cyl.) and there is a slight hesitation when I apply the gas and also, I feel like the brake is applied when I let my foot off the gas.... can all that got this software upgrade reply to tell me if this is going to make things worse or better?? Oh yea, I only have 3 thousand miles on the car.
  • Options
    nmarcel1nmarcel1 Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2007 Camry LE - only 3000 miles... I live in NY and now that the weather has turned cold my dashboard is making noises that is driving me crazy. It sounds like it is coming from where the speakers are.. if I push down on the dash at those spots I can replicate the noise... once the car heats up the noise mostly goes away... I saw on the a previous posting that there was a TSB for this in Canada... I called my dealer and once they looked up the issue on their Toyota dealer website they said they saw something that references this issue.... (MY CONCERN is... once they remove the entire dash and disturb everything... is this going to help or make matters worse)? Has anyone gotten this work done yet? Has it helped or made things worse?

POSTING I SAW.....
    TSB ... dash and install anti rattle tape." Under "PARTS: QTY: 2. FP NUMBER: 08231-00801-WA. DESCRIPTION: Noise kit." Toyota of canada has had many of these complaints due to the constant sub zero ... a technical service bulletin that has not hit the states,basically it goes like this.”remove entire dashboard assembly.insulate defroster duct,insulate plastic clips that attach dash to firewall.” ...