Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2007 Toyota Camry Problems and Repairs

Comments

• Options
    b10609b10609 Member Posts: 37
    Hello Dwayne - thanks very much for your views on the V-6 Camry and seating comfort in those cars. Having been away to Fall Hershey in the meantime since I posted my issues, I gather there are fewer concerns with the current models. The Consumers reports are based on earlier V-6 models and they should be corrected by now. I'll be looking at the Impala as well as seating comfort is all important since I'm 6 ft 3 ins. The front lower seat cushion is often too short for me, A recent 1,500 km drive in a rented RAV 4 was a classic example to me - the seating was very poor in that model.- support was almost non-existant for taller people. All of the other responses to me were appreciated - Edmunds is the best website on car issues ! - My best regards go to everyone out there - from a friend in Canada
  • Options
    silverbullet10silverbullet10 Member Posts: 8
    Thank you for your responses (love this forum!). I finally got the dealer to change the power-steering pump covered under warranty (after extensive road test comparing my car and the camry rental units). Unfortunately, I'm still hearing the same noise and it doesn't seem to get better.
    I've scheduled another appointment with service advisor, but would like to get feedback as to what could possibly go wrong (assuming they install a working power steering pump properly).
  • Options
    notmybmwnotmybmw Member Posts: 101
    Hi, gang, thanks for all the interesting reading.

Two questions:
    1. Does anyone have a downloadable source for the famous 068-08 TSB? Please post a link. I hear all about this TSB but have never seen the actual doc. In fact, it might be a US model specific fix, but I'd like to see it anyway. Thanks.

2. Secondly, does anyone in/from Canada have a list of all the TSBs that have been issued for the Canadian version of the '07 Camry 4cyl 5speed automatic? My dealer (Performance Toyota in St. Catharines, Ontario) has a real bad attitude......didn't even know that TSB's existed relating to hesitation and acceleration and shifting problems. (Did their best to make me look like an idiot and a trouble maker.)

I'd really like to educate them......and put a flyer on the windshield of every recent model Camry I see in town. (Performance is the ONLY dealer in town....and I'm sure they'd love to see all their Camry owners about this fix ASAP........NOT!)

They've booked me in to perform what THEY are calling a 2650! Did I read somewhere on this forum that this is an internal Toyota admin number and not the actual number of the TSB?

Thanks for any informed responses.
    P.S. Can I see a show of hands for whether or not there should be a "Canadian only" version of the "problems" forum?......knowing how many of the fuel, exhaust, emissions etc systems are different from one country to another? Just askin.
    Ciao!
  • Options
    sewcoolsuesewcoolsue Member Posts: 11
    Hey Canada--
    I'd love to see that TSB too. My transmission ('07 Camry LE 6 speed automatic) was replaced 2 times already. I still think the shifting isn't perfect, but the service dept insists it is. Now, after the 2nd time they changed the transmission I'm noticing a very foul odor coming out of the vents. They're going to change the blower motor next week, but I find it strange that I'm having a number of problems with this car.
    Re: the Canadian only forum--you were kidding, right? I mean--seriously--the Camry's are all constructed the same way. No???
  • Options
    Thank you so much for posting your message! I thought I was crazy, but I also notice a "thunk" noise when I start my car in the morning and put it in reverse. It sounds like something is banging in the trunk, yet there's nothing in there! I'm bringing my car in for service next week, and I'm definitely mentioning this!
  • Options
    chuck28chuck28 Member Posts: 259
    The thunk noise is probabally the fuel tank. You probabally notice it more when the tamk is full. I have the same problem. Just another issue Toyota isn't going public with.
    I also have poor shifting with my 2007 v-6 I'm getting ready to take it in again and hope Toyota has a fix. I too can use any info on TSB.

Keep complaining and call the 1800 #

God Bless
  • Options
    Has anyone who didn't hear about the ECM Calibration to enhance shifting performance and smoothness till long after their symptoms appeared had subsequent problems with transaxles?
    I have this "rumbling sound" coming from somewhere "below"....and I don't know what it might be. Sounds kinda like an old fashioned "U-joint".
    Just wondering if the two years of drive-by-wire herky jerky transmission banging/shifting/unshifting etc has finally taken a toll on my driveshafts (transaxles) and destroyed a bearing or two.
    Thoughts? Thanks.
    Mike
  • Options
    Heck no, sewcoolsue......US and Canadian cars are VERY different in many ways, starting with things as basic as speedometers that read in kilometers up here....and miles down there.
    BTW, are you in Canada or the US?
    Also BTW, you say you have an LE Camry with a 6 speed AT. You mean 5 speed, don't you? I don't think Camry had a 6 spd tranny in 07, at least not on a 4cyl. (is there even a 6cyl LE? I don't think so.)
    Anyway, yeah......where are all those Canadian who HAVE had ANY TSBs performed for transmission smoothnes? Is everyone sick of hearing about this?

I'd REALLY like to have a copy of either or both of ANY Canadian transmission TSB and the much talked about 068-08 TSB (which my dealer says is American-only)

Anyone?????
    Thanks, Mike
  • Options
    kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    The TSB has been posted prior in one of these forums, I've printed it out and taken it to my dealership. Don't remember whether in the Camry problems forum, or possibly Camry transmission forum.

I have a softcopy on it and all the other TSB's on my server, which unfortunately is down with a motherboard problem and I haven't had time to fix it for a couple of days. If you search and look long enough in the Camry forum's, you'll find it.

For the automatic's,.....the V6 has the 6 speed transmission, the I4 has the 5 speed transmission.

Shifting from Miles to Meters on the speedo is a software config setting

Vehicle runs great after the TSB.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Search here or Google for:

airsept odor gym eed
  • Options
    Hi, kiawah....thanks for your input, but....
    a) I've looked at hundreds of pages on this website and am not finding a downloadable copy of 068-08, nor any Canada TSBs. Would love some help with this.
    b) re: transmissions, the fellow I was answering said his LE had a 6speed AT, which we both know is not possible. The LE is a 4cyl config.
    c) speedometers: miles to kilometers is not a software setting, it's a physically different face on the speedo. Ours (Canadian) have LARGE kilometre readings on the outer rim of the dial and smaller mileage numbers on the inner circle. Yours (US version) would have the reverse, or, more likely just mileage numbers (since Americans are allergic to the metric system.......LOL!!!) Plus, there are lots of other differences with regard to exhaust system fire guards, emissions controls etc. (This is why Toyota Canada had no TSB's on the 07 Camry till well after the yanks.)
    Regards,
    Scotty
  • Options
    I'm right there with you, captain2.
    I've just recently "discovered" that there is a fix for my longterm (June '06 purchase date) hesitation/shifting problems on my 07 Camry.
    I've looked around a lot, but am still having problems finding Canadian equivalents of the many U.S. TSBs I see referenced on the site.
    My dealer steadfastly refused to believe/admit there was a problem until I took them the 0068-08.......which they correctly identified as an American document, but which prodded them to look for the Canadian version, which they of course found. (even though they won't show it to me....even though they've "done it" to my car!) Strange, yes?
    Now, as a gesture of contrition on their part, I want them to perform any and all other 2007 Camry 4cyl 5AT TSBs on a complimentary basis......but they obviously can't be counted on to "dig out" these TSBs of their own volition. I'D like to present them to THEM...but I gotta find them first.
    Any suggestions for source? (other than another Can. Toyota dealer?)
    Thanks.........to anyone......if you have a list or a source.
    Cheers,
    Scotty
    p.a. is this thread "dead" for some reason? I haven't seen a new posting for three days.............??
  • Options
    Is this fix u are talking about for a V-6 or 4 cyl ? Do you have the TSB info?

Thanks
  • Options
    Back when I was keeping track of these, here is the list of TSB's that I had.

Partial List TSB's
  • Options
    I'm looking for the latest TSB for 2007 V-6 camry. If anyone has any info I would appeciate it?
    Thank you, chuck
  • Options
    Hi, Chuck.

The "fix" (Technical Service Bulletin) that I have a printed copy of is the 0068-08. This is the US market fix for 4 cylinder Camrys and Solaras, both automatic and manual 5-speed transmission models. This TSB supersedes the EG036-07 which was presumably an earlier version of the fix.
    The Canadian version of this TSB was referred to by my dealer as the 2650. However, I haven't been able to find a printed version of it. My dealer's service manager is a jerk and wouldn't give me a copy of it, even though the work has already been done on my car.
    He initially didn't even know the TSB existed. When I told him there had to be one, based on what I had read, he finally got off his butt and found it. He didn't, however, do the proper run-in that is defined in the documentation. Nor did he know he was required to apply an "Authorized Modification Label" under the hood when completed. When I advised him this was mandatory......he checked.......and, whaddayaknow.....it IS mandatory. He said he'd mail it to me. I said "no you won't....you'll call me in and YOU'LL apply it."
    He's not a happy camper. Too bad.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
  • Options
    cmor1701dcmor1701d Member Posts: 4
    I just got a 2009 Camry XLE with the Smart Key Entry System. I wnet to BestBuy to have a remote starter installed. At the end of the day they told me that the bypass units they had would not work. They told me my only option was to buy the remote starter from Toyota and they would install it for me.

Has anyone had success with a 3rd party remote start for this vehicle?
  • Options
    dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    I have had a number of new vehicles in the past few years with after market remote starters from the $99 specials to the $400 high end with alarm and none of them, I repeat none of them have even come close to the quality and relieability of the factory ones. I have no idea how the Toyota remotes work but I'm betting even if just average they will still be better than the aftermarket stuff out there. Spend all that money on a new vehicle so don't go cheap now.
  • Options
    pingsterlpingsterl Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I think I have the same problem the actuator noise sounds every time when I start to drive the car after 10 feet, all the people sitting in the car can hear the noise. I went to dealer and they told me "the sound only happened to Camry!" But why other type car does not sound that way? I just wondering why Toyota does not do anything try to fix it. That is really bad impression to Toyota's name!!!
    Who can tell me how they can fix the actuator noise?

Thank you! :blush:
  • Options
    mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    If you are talking about the ABS test, all my cars with ABS do this after starting the engine and moving the car about 20-50 ft. Then, you never hear it again. My '07 CE does it, so does my old Corolla.
  • Options
    vizyovizyo Member Posts: 35
    When I first took my camry to the service for this noise, they did not even know ABS actuator could make noise. They drove the car back and forth, stopped and started it. They could not figure it out and checked it on another Camry. When they heard that the other camry was doing the same noise, then they said it was normal.

Does your Camry burn oil? Mine does.
  • Options
    djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Good Morning vizyo:
    My 2007 XLE V6 Camry does not burn any oil! I have about 37,000 miles on it, and I change the oil and filter every 2,500 miles. (My choice)! ------ I also use BG / MOA oil additive. The dealer recommends this at major service intervals. (I use it at every oil and filter change.) --------- Remember, in the past, Toyota Engines were "sludge" producers! ----- Go to the dealer for all your oil and filter services, and KEEP ALL YOU SERVICE RECEIPTS! ---- When the $#@& hits the fan, you will be in the driver's seat! -------- Consider putting an extended warrnty on this vehicle. (My vehicle is covered for 6 years / 100,000 miles by a Toyota Extended Warranty.)
    Best regards. --------------- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
  • Options
    210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    The ABS actuator makes a noise during its self-test once the car gets up to about 3 mph or so after first being started. This is mentioned in the owner's manual and is common to most cars with ABS. (My 1990 Mercury Sable, one of the earlier cars with optional ABS, made this noise.)

Regarding oil "burning," how much are you losing? Most cars use a little oil in my 30+ years of experience owning cars. Only my most recent cars (3 Camrys and a Nissan Frontier) don't seem to use any.

You don't need any oil additives -- those are dealer moneymakers and are not recommended by Toyota itself. Again, check your owner's manual.
  • Options
    mncamrymncamry Member Posts: 2
    I bought my 2007 Camry LE in Maryland and have recently moved to Minnesota. I was told by the Toyoya dealer in Marlyland that car comes standard with under body(chasis) protection against salt/sand spray for winter driving conditions.

Does anyone konw if this is true or if I was hosed by the dealer? Do any Camry owners living in states like MN get after-market chasis protection?

Thanks
  • Options
    All cars today have good rust protection from the factory. Just wash your car often in the winter if it gets salted up (at car washes obviously if it's below freezing outside) and be sure to generously hose off the underbody come spring (some car washes include this).
  • Options
    Most all cars/trucks built today have galvanized sheet metal on everything but the roof where it isn't needed. I doubt if Toyota is any different. Some manufacturers like GM give their vehicles a 5 year 100K rust waranty from the factory and they last much longer. Some manufacturers also frown on aftermarket rust proofing and will no longer warranty the vehicle for rust protection if you add it. Best thing is to wash it often during the winter and at least here in Mi. every car wash I have been in does an underbody blast to clear the snow and salt away from the unterside. Granted I don't keep my vehicles any longer than 3 years but even with the Mi. winters mine still look as good as new when I get rid of them.
  • Options
    silverbullet10silverbullet10 Member Posts: 8
    After leaving the car for 1 day with the dealer trying to troubleshoot the ps pump noise, the service advisor said that the noise is normal and they think it's comparable to the other camry rental units. When I get back the car, I'm pretty confident the noise is still there. The funny thing is the noise is louder at parking speed after i've driven the car for a couple of minutes, not during cold engine. Anybody has the same noise coming from their power steering? My car's mileage is less than 27k (2007 camry LE 4 cyl, auto)
    At the same time they're trying to troublshoot the ps, they install the new TSB0068-08, and finally the transmission works like it's supposed to (holdin low gear when entering the highway ramp,, and no downshift at 70mph with cruise control).. Wish toyota programmed the transmission this way when i bought the car 2 years ago!
  • Options
    (From a fellow 2007 owner......in Canada......lotsa winter, snow and salt!)
    Your 07 Camry probably has sufficient intra-body rust prevention, but if you want to be sure, find a shop that does good "intrusion" oil spraying and have them use only new hydraulic oil inside your rocker panels, doors, trunk lid, etc.
    And remember, don't take your car through any mechanical car washers, winter OR summer.....unless they are the touchless variety. Always HANDwash your car for a longlasting finish.
    My '97 looked like new when I gave it to my daughter last year.....with 224,000 kilometers on it. (about 120K miles)
  • Options
    I use the mech. car washes all the time without any problems. They do a better job than the touchless do when real dirty and the ones in my area all use cloth strips and no brushes that scratch the finish. My 3 year old car looks as good as it did when I bought it. Also when I sold my 4 1/2 year old Colorado crewcab the paint looked just like new.
  • Options
    I don't trust the mechanical car washes for fear of scratching the paint. I either hand wash the car or use a touchless car wash. You're right in that the touchless washes don't get the car completely clean. Horizontal surfaces will typically have a light film of dirt on them, and the lower vertical surfaces (like behind the rear wheels) will have visible dirt on them. But they are effective in getting the salt off in winter.
  • Options
    "salt off in winter"????? what's that? :P :P :P :D:)
  • Options
    Do you mean salt OR winter?

We don't have much of either here anymore either (central VA). ;)
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    Maybe we in the Midwest can share some extra winter with you this year. ;) Snow, winds, ice, salt, bad drivers in SUVs, etc. :blush:

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    mncamrymncamry Member Posts: 2
    Thanks very much for the advice. The local Toyota dealership had soemthing similar to say as you did.
  • Options
    Around here when the snow flies 'bad drivers in SUVs, etc,.." can't hold a candle to over-confident and/or inexperienced FWD and/or F/AWD vehicle drivers, SUV or not.
  • Options
    RobinatorRobinator Member Posts: 1
    About a month ago I started getting small white powdery flakes coming out of all my vents when I turn the heat or air on. I thought it may be the Hepha filter, so I changed it and its still happening. Has anyone else had this strange issue or any ideas what it may be?

Thanks,

Rob
  • Options
    Hey, so some Japanese factory worker smuggled a kilo of blow in your heater system.

How lucky are you?????

Inhale, close your eyes, relax and float downstream!!!
  • Options
    I think I remember seeing a post somehwere on the net that your evaporator was coated with an anti-microbial chemical at the factory to prevent the microbes that lead to that mold and mildew smell from breeding in the dark, damp, dank and cool plenum area of the HVAC system.

After a period of time, enough "washings" of the evaporator vane surfaces, the coating begins to flake off.

Apparently some customers have had their evaporator replaced as a result.
  • Options
    I didn't have that problem, but in October I noticed a very bad odor coming out of my vents. Turns out the dealer changed some filter and a pump--for free because I was still under warranty. The odor, thankfully, is gone. I'd see the dealer if I was you.--Sue
  • Options
    "very bad odor..."

As in dirty/moldy gym socks...??

If so the odor will return...!

See airsept.com for their EED.
  • Options
    4ruth4ruth Member Posts: 11
    I have spent about an hour looking at messages here without finding one that seemed directly on the nose for me.

I bought a 2007XLE used Camrym 2.4 liter engine, automatic with 27,000 miles on it. Ratings for the model suggest that I should be able to get up to 33 mpg on the road.

I have driven it about 2500 miles. I am getting 22-23 mpg on a flat highway, using cruise control, sitting at 60 mpg. In town I am getting about 15-16 mpg. I am a good driver and usually am able to get at least the mileage predicted.

So the dealer (honda) where I bought the car says, "Does it drive smoothly?" Yes
    "Are there any dash board lights on?. No
    Then there is nothing wrong with it.

I say, I am getting 25% reduction in miles. That means there is something wrong. They say, Nope, nothing is wrong.

So then i go to Toyota since it is still in warranty (though something supposedly expires at 30,000. They hook it up to their machine and say "there is nothing wrong." I say....
    They say, well it is the ethanol we use here. I say, that is supposed to be 5-10% decrease, not 25%. They say, yes but it is winter. I say, yes, but we have only had one frost so far and the temperatures are mostly int he 50s. They say, that will cause the difference in mileage.

While I can change a tire and used to change my own oil, I would rather be reading up and making some fancy recipe. I don't talk cars, motors or engines and I don't feel I have the language to argue these issues.
    Please, am I wrong in my expectations of mpg? On Friday, I take the car to the Honda dealer for a check up. Can you help me figure out what to say if I am not wrong.

Also, I read about some TSB(in my world that means tablespoon of butter) that appears to have been related to 2007 Camrys--but it sounds like it only applies to a manual.
    Many thanks for any help rendered.
  • Options
    Considering that my '01 AWD RX300 at ~70,000 miles often gets 22MPG driving to/from central MT, (Seattle) miles upon miles at 75+, your Camry 2.4L should do considerably better.

Brakes dragging....??

At a constant, even, 60MPH what is the engine RPM...??
  • Options
    Also, I read about some TSB(in my world that means tablespoon of butter) that appears to have been related to 2007 Camrys--but it sounds like it only applies to a manual.

No, the TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) are for automatics and 068-08 is for manual and automatic.
  • Options
    Hey there, mcdawgg: Not sure what you mean by "the TSB.....are for automatics". (Maybe I missed and earlier part of the conversation and you are referring to SPECIFIC TSBs.)

A TSB, as I'm sure you know, can be for anything...... automatic, manual, constant velocity (IF Toyota had a CS). It's just a service bulletin; nothing less, nothing more. Some TSBs apply to body trim, which obviously has nothing to do with transmission or engine type.

I'll concede one point though: strangely on the 068-08 TSB, the description right from the factory does say for automatics AND manual transmission models. BUT.....how a TSB designed to "smooth shifting" can possibly apply to a manual transmission is beyond me. (Unless the TSB comes with a bottle of sedatives to calm the driver's jangled nerves, and therefore "smooth" out his manual shifting arm!! LOL!!)
  • Options
    "..how a TSB designed..."

With the advent/adoption of DBW or E-throttles the engine control ECU's firmware could be quite intimately involved, fully integrated, into manual shifting.
  • Options
    nmarcel1nmarcel1 Member Posts: 21
    Since the price of a gallon of gas has gone down recently I've been able to fill the tank once in a while... I've decided to finally check the gas mileage I've been getting and I'm very dissappointed... the last 3 times I've checked I'm getting around 22/23 mpg. I have a 2007 4cl with 15k miles on it.. I do mostly in town driving ... some highway but I thought I should get better gas mileage then this.... about 6mos if not longer I had the TSB installed to fix the transmission hesitation problem... to be honest I never checked the gas mileage before I had the TSB installed... so I really can't compare mileage before and after... but the mileage I'm getting now is not good... I'm a normal driver... not heavy on the gas etc... anyone having the same crappy mileage as me?

Also, at the same time... I also had the following repair kits installed to repair a dashboard noise I was getting when the weather turns cold... even though I had the noise kits installed I still get the same noise in the dash now that the weather has turned cold in NY... anyone having the same issue?

"Noise Kit #08231-00801", and "Wind Noise Kit #08231-00810".
  • Options
    My manual '07 Camry has very smooth acceleration now that I had TSB 068-08 (which is for manual and automatic transmissions) done. Before, the car would have some hesitation while accelerating up through the gears - hard to describe in words. There is another issue with automatics that involves another TSB only for automatic transmissions (I'm too busy to look it up right now).

I was attempting to help the OP, because it sounded like they thought that some of the TSBs that they read about were only for manuals.

As far as MPG before and after the TSB - I have seen no change.
  • Options
    "TSB installed to fix...."

It is entirely possible, even probable, that the TSB hesitation fix involved keeping the ATF line control pressure elevated for a few seconds immediately after an upshift is completed. Just in case a required, re-acceleration, downshift is soon to follow. They may have even added a "virtual" dashpot as used in old carburated engines to prevent the engine from stalling due to otherwise too quickly falling to idle upon full throttle release. In city driving those few extra seconds of high ATF line pressure coupled with DBW being used to more slowly reduce the engine RPM to idle could add up, resulting in lowering your FE overall.

Ford has recently adopted a variable displacement ATF pump to combat this very same problem. High volume at idle so the ATF pressure can be quickly raised even with the engine idling, but low volume at high, higher engine RPMs for improved FE.

It is my belief that this would be just another form of the "fix" for the premature transaxle failures of the '99 & '00 RX300's. for the '01 and up RX300 models they reprogrammed the ECU firmware to constantly maintain the ATF pressure a a high level, result in severely burned ATF in as little as 40,000 miles. Then that development resulted in the need to change the ATF drain and flush maintenance schedule from infiniti, life of the vehicle, to every 15,000 miles.
  • Options
    4ruth4ruth Member Posts: 11
    In layman's terms, if my car is having this problem, can you describe how it would feel and at what speed I would be feeling it? Would I need to do something to make it happen?
    Also, do you think I am correct that I should be getting better mileage, even with ethanol added to the petrol? Thanks. Ruth