Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome to the Edmunds forums! We are changing the way you sign into our forums. Click here to learn more.

Buying used Volvo, worth it?

nodananedanodananeda Posts: 2
edited April 19 in Volvo
Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a brand used car but don't have a lot of dough to spend. In my price range (a measly $2500) I'm seeing quite a few '01-'02 Volvo S60's and S80's. They look quite nice for my price range, but everyone is telling me that they are expensive to maintain.

The cars I am looking at are in the 120k-180k mile range, and I'd really appreciate some advice going in to this purchase. Are these cars really that expensive to maintain? Should I go for something like a Honda or a Toyota instead? I don't plan on having this car for terribly long (should graduate in 2-3 years) but I would like to get a car that is reliable and economical.

Thanks!

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 85,774

Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a brand used car but don't have a lot of dough to spend. In my price range (a measly $2500) I'm seeing quite a few '01-'02 Volvo S60's and S80's. They look quite nice for my price range, but everyone is telling me that they are expensive to maintain.

The cars I am looking at are in the 120k-180k mile range, and I'd really appreciate some advice going in to this purchase. Are these cars really that expensive to maintain? Should I go for something like a Honda or a Toyota instead? I don't plan on having this car for terribly long (should graduate in 2-3 years) but I would like to get a car that is reliable and economical.

Thanks!

Try re-posting here:
    https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/1212/general/x/real-world-trade-in-values

Some long-time Volvo owners hang out in that discussion.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 60,621
    I certainly wouldn't buy an old $2500 Volvo without having a mechanic look it over thoroughly. You have to keep in mind that a $2500 Volvo that needs tires and brakes is a $4000 Volvo. It would be quite fortuitous to find a $2500 car that didn't need any further work done to it.

A Toyota would be a better choice but you'd probably have to pay more for one--the market is smart, it prices things according to risk.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Share Your Vehicle Reviews Here