Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Seat Position Memory

whobodymwhobodym Posts: 188
edited June 2018 in Subaru
My '17 Forester XT Touring's seat position memory has misbehaved in an odd and subtle way since day #1 eighteen months ago. This means the power driver's seat with "1" and "2" buttons on the door panel. I have registered our preferred positions for both the buttons and our two keys. Per the dealer (doubtful accuracy) the memory should only hold two positions; i.e. pushing the buttons should give the same two positions that the two keys do, respectively. The misbehavior is only for seat height - fore/aft memory works fine. The seat height misbehavior is that slowly over a period of many weeks, the memory positions gradually increase in height until they eventually give you maximum seat height, for both positions 1 and 2, whenever the car is unlocked, even if you yourself were the last person who drove. My Subaru dealer has made two attempts to fix this, the first time with a new seat module, and this last time with a new switch. They claim it's fixed now but I'm beginning to have my doubts because my personal "2" position is supposed to be set all the way at the bottom, and I'm beginning to feel a slight lowering as I touch the seat controls myself after entering - which is exactly how the misbehavior started to appear every time before. As this misbehavior begins to occur, the buttons can be reset to preferred correct positions but the key-registered positions remain the max-height wrong ones, thus my doubt about the memory only holding two total positions. I understand this is hardly a fundamental problem, and I could fix it by just resetting the key-registrations frequently, but this is very hard to do for a spouse!

Comments

• whobodymwhobodym Posts: 188
    Last week our car finally had a full-day session at Eastside Subaru (Kirkland WA) with both dealership mechanics and corporate Subaru zone technicians, and for the first time I've gotten documented agreement that our seat position memory behaves as I've said it does all along. No remedy is available yet; they are thinking about it.
    My opinion continues to strengthen, that this problem only occurs when keys have been registered to positions -- ignition off, hold "set" button, hit Subaru logo on key fob. I continue to survey '17-'18 Forester Touring owners on the street, and no one else so far seems to have registered their keys to seat positions. They just use the "1" and "2" buttons on the door. And they don't have the height problem.
    So - if you have a Forester Touring (top of the line) from last year or this, and you haven't registered your keys to seat positions, DON'T. But if you already have, PLEASE speak up and say whether the memory for seat height misbehaves like ours. (I don't believe Foresters had any seat position memory, for years 2016 and earlier).