Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

How to change VW Atlas 2018 cabin filter

MingYeeMingYee Member Posts: 1
edited August 2018 in Volkswagen
Cannot find where the filter is installed. Any ideas?

Answers

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It's in the glove box but I can't find exactly how to access it. Usually, you squeeze the sides of the glove box inwards after opening it, and it falls further down, and the cabin filter is generally behind the glove box and accessed by opening a little door.

But I can't find the exact directions. I'll keep looking.

Meanwhile, www.rockauto.com has the filter for the V6 (by the charcoal one, they're better) for something like $12 bucks. If VW does this job for you, it's going to be $90.

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    The glove box is released to the service position by lifting the tabs at the ends of the top of the inside of the box. It will only move about 5cm but that is enough to access the filter. Those tabs can then be removed by rotating them. You have to be careful of the glove box damper, if it separates you will need to reassemble it when putting this back together. Remove the filter cover, the release tabs are at the top. Remove the blower motor cover plate. That will be slid into the plenum under the filter to prevent debris from falling into the blower motor. Then the hooks on the end of the filter cover are used to disengage the locks on the filter and remove it from the case. Next clean the housing with a shop vac and reverse to reinstall.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830

The glove box is released to the service position by lifting the tabs at the ends of the top of the inside of the box. It will only move about 5cm but that is enough to access the filter. Those tabs can then be removed by rotating them. You have to be careful of the glove box damper, if it separates you will need to reassemble it when putting this back together. Remove the filter cover, the release tabs are at the top. Remove the blower motor cover plate. That will be slid into the plenum under the filter to prevent debris from falling into the blower motor. Then the hooks on the end of the filter cover are used to disengage the locks on the filter and remove it from the case. Next clean the housing with a shop vac and reverse to reinstall.

$90 is starting to sound cheap... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    5cm = about 2 inches.

That doesn't sound too difficult actually. Once you're in there it will all make sense.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    The description in service information is a series of line drawn pictures and only a limited amount of text. It's not something that normally needs to be looked up since most techs can figure this kind of stuff out at a glance and that's a good thing because what I wrote is easier to follow IMO.