Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T AWD - MPG HIGHER

levellevel Member Posts: 34
edited October 2018 in Hyundai
Very pleased with tightness of quality, design, performance, safety, & tech. ---Several hundred miles & “everything” works like they said. But, I found it odd that MPG would be listed at only 19/24. Repeatedly, using regular gas for 65-mile highway round-trip w/Comfort Mode, cruise set at 70 mph, & use of A/C, I’m getting 26-27 MPG. Today 27.3 MPG. (Trip gauge reset for each trip.)

I suspected Hyundai was playing it safe by going with lower numbers for worst case driving situations. Also, using a grade of gas higher than regular like most manufacturers recommend for turbos, should increase MPG another 1-2 MPG. ---Now it makes sense.

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Some trip meters are a little optimistic when they do the calculations. How does it compare to how much fuel you actually put in the tank on the refill?

Also sounds like you are operating under ideal conditions, which the EPA doesn't test.
  • Options
    Thanks. With tank gauge method (actual gas), I usually use simpler technique. Instead of waiting to fill up, I compare mileage from 1/4 quarter mark to next 1/4 mark. Then calculate average MPG. (For Santa Fe w/18.5 gallon tank, first must calculate gas reserve below last 1/4 or empty mark.)

I'll try that next; however, in a prior car brand, gauge and tank method were in agreement. Also, prior brand, calculated MPG online, through cloud connectivity. I've always done well against posted MPG.
  • Options
    Also, I like shorter test periods (1/4 tank) for better control. e.g., I go in restaurants to order or keep moving after drive-through, instead of sitting in car for a period of time with it idling & the A/C running while I eat. Also, since I pull over for a period of time w/ car idling & A/C running to text, respond to emails, & for Internet searches, I eliminate these during my 1/4 tank MPG testing. It's just on-road traffic & driving.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    level said:

Also, I like shorter test periods (1/4 tank) for better control. e.g., I go in restaurants to order or keep moving after drive-through, instead of sitting in car for a period of time with it idling & the A/C running while I eat. Also, since I pull over for a period of time w/ car idling & A/C running to text, respond to emails, & for Internet searches, I eliminate these during my 1/4 tank MPG testing. It's just on-road traffic & driving.

Your method actually makes the results less consistent and accurate.

Full tank to full tank. Do that at least four times, then see what you get.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator