Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic 2006-2007 Issues

Comments

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I believe the instructions on resetting the OLM are in your Owner's Manual.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • rcreamerrcreamer Member Posts: 1
    It is good to hear that I am not the only one with this problem. I have a 2006 Civic EX and was told by the dealership and Honda corp to continue to ask each time I am at the dealer for an oil change if they have a fix. No suggestions.
  • armymom1armymom1 Member Posts: 1
    I've had my 06 Civic to the dealer 2x, as sometimes when I'm pulling into a parking spot, or into my garage, after lifting my foot from the brake (at a near-stop) the car kind of lunges forward. The 1st time I took it to the dealer, the tech said he'd had another 06 w/that problem. But they can't duplicate it. Anyone familiar w/this?
  • juchejuche Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I have a 2006 Honda Civic LX, and for some reason my windshield washer fluid isn't coming out...I just drove from northern California to Salt Lake City, and around Reno/Tahoe the fluid ran out, so I bought some winter -20 de-icer fluid and poured it in, but it didn't come out...I thought maybe it froze, but I checked the tube, and it's liquid inside (at least near the cap, maybe it's frozen deep down?). I've been driving for a few days now, and even though it's cold here in Salt Lake, when the car has been sufficiently warmed up, the fluid still won't come out. Any suggestions? Thanks!
  • kork13kork13 Member Posts: 90
    I had this problem as well, when I was staying up in the mountains over Thanksgiving. It was so cold (-5 degrees) that the fluid tube froze, making the drive out of the mountains pretty dangerous. Only way it unfroze was to let it sit for 6-8+ hours in temperatures over about 45 drgrees or so... that and make sure your fluid sprayer is clear of ice/snow... As for warming up the car, the engine temperature doesn't really do much for the fluid tube. If I remember correctly (I don't know for sure), I think the tube runs up the underside of the hood, where it doesn't get much/any heat from the engine itself. Just give it time, and try to park somewhere warm. Once you get what's in the tube unfrozen, then your -20 fluid should work just fine from then on out. If none of that works, i'd say bring it to the shop to look for a broken tube or pump or something like that.
  • johnyindianjohnyindian Member Posts: 6
    I own a 2006 Honda Civic coupe EX with 26k miles on it.

Mid december '07 my car engine overheated. On taking it to the dealership, the diagnosis was that there was a leak in the coolant line. Due to this the engine overheated, the engine head gasket and engine block both were damaged with a hole in them.

All parts are going to be replaced by dealership since the car is under warranty. The car is still at the dealership since december 18th '07. I've been moving arnd in a rental car courtesy of the dealership.

Im curious if anybody else has had this problem previously ?
  • dlyndlyn Member Posts: 1
    Hello - My 2007 Civic in the past 6 months has been experiencing a rattling/vibrating noise when
    the vehicle is going over 70 on highway. I've had it to the dealer 3 times and they do not hear the noise --- it does not do it all the time, of course...
    They test drove it 3-4 times and have run tests but say nothing is wrong. The vehicle has about 18,000 miles on it. Anyone else experiencing this or have had this problem. Any help would be appreciated. My next step is to go on a test drive w/ the dealer's mechanic to see if it makes the noise when I'm in the car w/ them. Thanks.
  • aarun2000aarun2000 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 08Civic EX. I noticed that the steering is super super smooth, feels like there is no friction between the tyres and the road. I feel that there is something wrong with the steering. Does this happen with all new cars? I have about 90miles on the car now.
    Please suggest.
  • kork13kork13 Member Posts: 90
    My friend, you have just perfectly described the electronic steering system that the Honda Civics use. I don't remember exactly what it's called ('drive by wire'?), but my understanding of how it works is that it basically takes your steering inputs from the wheel, turns it into an electrical signal, and then controls the tires themselves electronically. What you're describing is exactly the problem that many people have complained about, esp. the more enthusiast-type Si owners... They can't feel the road.

I don't think that you have a problem, though if you really are worried about it (i'm not driving your car, so don't know exactly what you're feeling), you can always take it to a good wrench to take a look at.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Correct me if I'm wrong, however, I don't believe that the new Civic has DBW steering. Instead it has a direct mechanical rack-and-pinion steering system with an electronic power boost instead of the more conventional hydraulic "Power Steering" systems that have been in use for decades. Yes, no?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    My '06 drives the same way...very smoothly and have never given it another thought...figured it's driving the way it should.

The Sandman :)
  • cz75cz75 Member Posts: 210
    You aren't. It's electric power-assist. Safety wouldn't allow for a fully electric system without mechanical linkage, let alone driver "feel." Solely designed to minimize parasitic losses from a mechanical pump driven off the engine.
  • drmbbdrmbb Member Posts: 80
    Only the Si has electrical power steering. The 2006+ DX/LX/EX all have very conventional hydraulic rack and pinion power steering. Just pop your hood and you'll see the reservoir, or check Honda's specifications for the models.
  • conlin2006conlin2006 Member Posts: 4
    Dear Honda Civic owners.

I have a 2006 EX Civic Sedan. Recently I have been hearing grinding noises from the fan motor when I engage the defrost setting for the heater/air conditioner. The noise lasts for about 10 seconds and then it is fine for the rest of the trip. It occurs every time the car is started. I can make the noise turn off by dis-engaging the defrost setting and placing the settings only floor, head or a combination of the two. But as soon as I click on the button for the defrost the noise re-appears. I can also make the noise go away by turning the fan off. When the noise appears, turning the fan lower or higher does not increase or decrease the souns.

Has anyone else experiences this problems and if so what caused or causes this issues.

Thank you,

JAY
    Hybrid too.
  • hatterashatteras Member Posts: 2
    The cup holders and other compartments in the console are warm/hot in the winter. I have not noticed this problem in the summer - only in the winter with the heat on. I noted one other post describing a similar problem but did not see a reply. Any opinion/solution?

Otherwise satisfied (so far) with the car. Only complaint is that I had to replace the front brake pads at 19,000 miles. Dealer stated this is normal (not convinced) due to the car having a sports suspension. I did buy the car used and Honda certified (I might be glad based upon other posts).
  • av8rixav8rix Member Posts: 5
    I bought a used 2006 Civic EX Coupe less than a year ago and found this forum around the same time. After randomly reading some conversations here, I decided that it would be worth the time to simply start at the beginning and go through them all. So far, I have made it through about half of the current posts which is taking a significant amount of time, but I am getting some great information out of it and learning what to keep an eye out for with my car.

It sounds to me like you are experiencing something similar to what was discussed in the posts in the late 300's here. Look over post numbers 374, 375, 379, 380 and 381 to start with. I believe that #374 was the first time this console heat issue was mentioned here in this forum.

Hope this helps
  • nealmnealm Member Posts: 41
    Can't tell you muc about the cupholders but my front brakes are still good at 36G miles. I was told that they are known for having good life spans by the mechanic at Honda who worked on my car. I drive 50/50 highway/city and a bit aggressively in a manual EX coupe.
  • hatterashatteras Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the replies. Posts 375, 379, 380 and 381 address the issue. I'll check the duct. I scanned the posts early Sunday morning but either didn't notice the replies, or didn't think they were responses to Post 374. Please bear with me as I just joined the forum and I have a lot to learn. Taught me to look closer in the future.
  • av8rixav8rix Member Posts: 5
    No worries. 760+ messages are quite a few to get through, especially when there is a problem that needs to be solved. To tell you the truth, I am just happy that I remembered that the earlier conversation had taken place and was able to find the messages again. Hopefully, that information helps solve your warm/hot console mystery. :)
  • sidbsidb Member Posts: 26
    I have a Civic 2006 and given it to the dealer to repair the problems i am facing

1. The car does'nt start sometimes, ie when i switch the key , the engine doesnt crank.It just some noise, which comes.It happens very randomly ..
    Honda has changed the fuse box, relay and battery but no help.

2. If i have my feet over the brake , while passing over a bump or pothole, I feel a kind of vibration on the brake pedals ,as if somethings moves insight .

Please suggest
  • conlin2006conlin2006 Member Posts: 4
    As per your first question - It sounds like an electrical problem. Do you have an aftermarket anti-theft device installed on the car? I had this problem when purchasing my 2006 Civic EX second hand. The cars first owner had a poorly installed after market anti-theft device which ultimately caused the ignition to stop working.

As per your second question - my 2006 Civic EX also makes this sound when going over a bump with the brakes slightly depressed. What you are feeling is the ABS system responding to a loss of traction with respect to your tires.

I hope this helps,

JAY
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    with reference to item #1....the 2006 Civic has had a Honda service bulletin (TSB) issued to correct an "engine imobilizer" control module issue. This would cause your car not to start on command. I cannot recall the service bulletin number but it was issued sometime early in 2007...say March through June. If I can find reference to it I will post the information.
  • civic_si_06civic_si_06 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2006 Civic Si and also have the same issues. Let me know if you guys find info on #1 and the service bulletin. Take care.
    JAY,
    thanks a lot dude, atleast i just have 1 issue to crib about :-)
    thanks for replying.
    would wait for your service bulletin number,

thanks again advance.
  • luckygirl79luckygirl79 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I have went through this forum for the past two days, reading the first half of the posts completely and skimming the 2nd half and I don't think I have seen this exact problem addressed....

I have had my 08 Civic Sedan EX, automatic transmission, for 4 months now and have just under 3000 miles on it. I have never felt like the transmission has ran as smoothly as it should. (I am hoping you all will tell me I am wrong. I drove a stick for several years before this and its my first new car). It seems to rev up too long as it shifts into each gear--a full 2 to 3 seconds of a rev up noise before it shifts, with the RPM gage going crazy. It does it especially bad when I accelerate quicker then normal--like when you are getting up to speed as you enter the freeway. Sometimes it goes up to over 5000 RPM's and the RPM gauge goes absolutely crazy--going from 2000 or 2500 to over 5000 in a split second, the needle lunging forward really fast. The rev up noise sounds so loud at times. It also does it in just regular city driving, with each shift, at all speeds, though not as bad. To me, the tranny seems to behave the way you would expect an older car would, with wear and tear and age, not what I expect from a new car. As others have noted, it is worse when I first start up and the engine is cold. If it matters, I also have the problem with delayed acceleration when you first press the gas when at a complete stop--like something cuts out, and then bang, you jerk forward. And, finally, if this could be related: I am getting terrible gas mileage. I haven't got the Honda estimate of 25 mpg city since my first tank. I am now getting 17-18 mpg city (and most of my city is freeway--not start/stop, but a steady 65 mph). I know this is nothing compared to what the folks over at the gas mileage forum are getting. And, for the record, though it seems they should have fixed it by the 08 models, I have the mystery glove compartment noise, though I didn't know what it was and thought I was crazy til reading through this forum. I plan on taking my car in next week, but am wondering if anyone could share their thoughts before I go? (To be honest, I expect them to bully me. I am a single girl in my 20's and they try to run all over me. Thanks to this site and great forum, I was well armed with info and knew what I wanted to pay and what to expect when I bought, but they totally tried to bully me and I expect the same when I take it in to get looked at). Any advice or anyone else having these issues? Thanks a million.
  • jcampajcampa Member Posts: 14
    I am writing you about a concern and issue that I am having to endure with American Honda Motor Corporation. In August of 2006, I purchased a Honda Civic for better gas milage, safety and reliability for my wife and two kids from Bob Howard Auto-Mall in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. What my wife and me did not know at the time of purchase was that American Honda had installed bad control arms on the rear of the vehicle which caused the tires to wear out on the sidewalls more rapidly, thus causing flats and possibly blowouts on the rear wheels.

In September of 2007, my wife experienced a flat tire while doing errands around the City of Canyon and Amarillo, Texas, the tire was replaced and a new one was purchased from Walmart due to undue wear on the sidewalls.

In October of 2007, this car experienced another flat tire on the other side and this time the car was taken to Discount Tire here in Amarillo, Texas. The service manager indicated that the tires were wearing wrong on the side walls and that the car had a serious alignment problem. The dealership was contacted and James the service representative for Bob Howard Auto-Mall indicated that the control arms on the rear of the car were defective and that this flaw was causing the tires to wear out on the side walls.

He also indicated that there was no fix to the car at that time and that it could be as late as December 2007, before a fix is made to the car. As of the January 18, 2008, there is still no fix for this flaw. I was contacted by the dealership and Honda America still does not have a fix. Let everyone know do not buy a Honda.

As for the tires, James indicated that we should contact American Honda for reimbursement of the tires that were purchased at Discount Tire by American Honda in California. They were contacted and a check was reimbursed to us for approximately 375.00 dollars of the approximate 750.00 dollars that had already been spent. During both flats the car was driven over curbs to get the vehicle out of the road ways. And on either the first or second occurrences damage was done under the automobile that causes the brake light to flash while going down the highway.

The car was taken to Southwest Honda in Amarillo, Texas and they indicated that damage was done to the undercarriage of the automobile and that my warranty would not cover the damage that was done. It was explained to them that the damage was done due to the flats on the rear tires and that due to safety concerns of not changing the tires in the middle of the road, I had to go over the curb to get out of the traffic flow instead of changing it and causing an unsafe condition for other drives and myself. Honda America is uncooperative and unwilling to help us in resolving this issue. They implied that we should have been killed or hurt because of this flaw, before they will do anything to resolve this issue.

Conclusions:

This car has a serious flaw and American Honda knew it and deceived the American public into believing that the car is safe and free from defects, this car was represented to us as not having any problems or flaws or defects. However, Honda America sold a vehicle that has rear control arms that are defective and need to be replaced before a serious accident happens with these automobiles.

Customers are unaware of this flaw who bought this car believing that Honda produced a safe product, however what will happen when someone is traveling at 60 mph or even 70 mph, and a blow out occurs. Does someone have to lose their life or their family before something is done by Honda America and these companies like Honda America is held accountable.

Do not buy a Honda and Get the word out. Buy Toyota and call Honda and complain
  • kero1kero1 Member Posts: 154
    Sorry to hear about your problems.

I so thankfully traded my civic with 16K miles a few months and it was the best decision I made regardless of the bath I took on the trade.

I can't believe all the problems people are still having with their cars.

I went back to subaru, the impreza is a great little car, my second one and I won't switch ever again unless subaru goes the way of honda with cars like the civic.
  • drmbbdrmbb Member Posts: 80
    :confuse: The rear camber issue is a known, and acknowledged problem. Honda issued a TSB about this last year, and has fixed the problem under warrenty for those who complained about it. You can read the Canadian TSB at:

http://showcase.netins.net/web/reptiles/stuff/Bulletin(VIII-10-07).pdf

and in the US the TSB number is 08-001, but I don't have a bookmark to read it online. You should be able to read it on Honda's Owner's Link web site, if you and your car is registered.
  • jcampajcampa Member Posts: 14
    The dealship has indicated that the fix did not work, they were still getting tire wear. :mad:
  • mrcavemanmrcaveman Member Posts: 17
    Honda civic 2006 LX:

I had to have the driver side trim, the one that goes around the car frame at about 11,256 miles as it had the come aprarts, ( the rubber sill was deteriorating) at the center door frame. I am not sure how long it was bad as you normaly don't even look at it. For some reason it caught my eye on this day. The dealer said it looked like it was caused by me rubbing it when I get into the car. I told him to watch as I get in the car as I don't even come close to it. I felt it was a alinement problem. He said he would replace it only one time under warnanty. Well 6000 miles later I noticed it again. Totally deteriorated for about 8". Big chuck missing. Anyone else having this problem. Thanks

CP
  • kathyc1kathyc1 Member Posts: 138
    Was this a sedan? Also, I think this would be a 3 times and your out situation for a lemon law wouldn't it? The dealer can't just replace it once under warranty if it's a continuing problem can he? :lemon:
    I have a question concerning mileages on this issue. I now have 5,000 miles on my '07 coupe and will be taking it into the dealer on the 13th for oil change and to have this problem looked at. They said they'll put it up on the hoist and take a look, but at 5,000 miles they may not be able to tell anything. Also, if they have it off the ground can they tell if the cambers were replaced by looking for the little "c" on them or will it take a major job to get to them? I haven't noticed anything when driving, but the roads in our little town are not the best and very bumpy with pot holes after a major storm. According to jcampa, replacing them may not make a difference anyway. :confuse: Thank you.
  • moonlilymoonlily Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2007 Honda Civic sedan with 15,000 miles. After purchasing the car, I noticed that the gap on the driver's side of trunk is narrower than the passenger's side. The trunk does not rub up against the car body, and I haven't noticed any trunk leaks. The trunk also latches securely. The car is still under warranty, so should I see about getting it aligned properly, or would I be opening myself up to new problems by having it worked on? My main concern is if the gap increases slightly more on the right, I could possibly have a rain problem? Or if the gap narrows more on the other side, the trunk could touch the taillight housing. Opinions, please?
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    The camber is an alignment adjustment. It is not a part that is or can be replaced. If you were to look at your car head (or tail) on and imagine an imaginary line through the center of the tire vertically) the difference between the tilt of the wheel/tire assembly from top to bottom is the camber setting. This setting is made in thousands of an inch so you will not be able to eyeball the tire and see anything. If you are concerned about tire wear your car needs to be placed on an alignment machine with a competent operator to be checked for both camber and toe-in.
    SPC makes adjustable rear control arms (~$300/set) that allow camber adjustment, as well as front camber bolts (~$25/set). All are good quality parts.
    I would get it adjusted. This kind of poor build quality is what I used to expect from a domestic, not Honda.
    When I called for my appointment I was told they hadn't had anyone in about this problem yet so she wasn't sure what would be done. Hopefully they will be able to tell me if the tires are wearing OK or not. Also, according to the Canadian TSB that is on-line the cambers are replaced and there's a little "c" on the new ones. I don't know what that is all about if you're right.
    All I can say is this is my last Honda. I've had 4 now and 3 have had what I consider serious problems. I guess I only learn after the 3rd time. What do people think of the Mazda?
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    The wife chose this over the Jetta in '05.5 and still says that compared to what's out there in this size class, the Mazda is still the car she'd choose again. Hers has the 2.3 liter engine and though a tad thirsty, it's a hoot to drive!

The Sandman :)
    Unless they finally fixed the poor A/C system, I'd pass on a Mazda3.
  • mycle1000mycle1000 Member Posts: 10
    my '07 coupe was hit in july, 07 and had the left quarterpanel replaced. at that time it was given a four-wheel alignment. nothing bad was noted at the time and i have had no problems with this car. true honda quality here.
  • mrcavemanmrcaveman Member Posts: 17
    Yes, this is the LX sedan. I have to say I don't even come close to rubbing the seal when I get in or out of the car. I feel it is a door alinement problem. I shouldn't have to keep having it replace every 4000 miles. I will be taking it to the dealer soon as I noticed the left rear tire wearing on the outside. And I have had the tires rotated balanced at the dealer ship as suggested when do.

CP
  • pskepske Member Posts: 7
    I have a 06 Civic LX and nearly for the past year a rattling/vibrating/resonance noise can be heard around 1500 rpm when there's load applied (eg. accelerating) but a lot of times transient. Lots of fixes were tried (eg. serpetine belt, etc) but nothing fixed it and I know a few others might have this problem... It can be also heard by throwing the gear into R and applying the brakes with flooring to 1500 rpm. Anyway, finally the tech/advisors were able to narrow the noise to the air filter after I went to the dealership nearly a dozen times! Some nut/clip touches other parts and causes this noise to get amplified in/under the air filter... Thought I'd share it since it drove me nuts! Now for most part the noise is gone, although my fine tuned hearing to that noise can pick the muffled noise now and then.
  • terryharrisiterryharrisi Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I each had an '06 Civic LX, purchased new. Last week we traded them and bought a pair of 2008 2.0S Sentras. We feel very, very good about taking this route. We've had Sentras in previous years, always with very good results. Now we can drive in peace.
  • vphonervphoner Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I have exactly the same problem. Always feel a vibration in the accelerator pedal, and noise buzzing at 1500 rpm. Can you be more specific on the repair you had done so I can tell the mechanic at Honda exactly what to do? Its driving me nuts. I even feel this vibration when not accelerating. When going above 60 I felt a throbbing too.

I already had the drivebelt re-aligned and replaced. It helped a little but still very evident.

Thanks...
    If you can get the rattling/buzzing noise by having the gear in reverse and slowly rev'ing to 1500 rpm (holding the brakes) then it's a good chance you have the same problem. I don't know the details of the fix, and it's not a major mechanical failure but just an annoying noise! From what I understood, underneath the air filter there were things touching at the around 1500 rpm (for some unknown reason) causing the noise and they simply insulated the parts so when the do touch the noise won't be produced. Again, if you can reproduce the noise with having the gear in R then it's probably the problem I have... Hope it helps.
  • vphonervphoner Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info. I really have been bothered not just with the 1500rpm vibration, but in general I can feel vibration in the pedal most of the time. Of course at 1500rpm its more apparent. I had the drivebelt changed and redirected per the service notice. While it does not have the loud buzzing as much, the vibration is still very apparent. If I could get this car to run smooth without vibration it would be a dream car. Hope they can take care of this. If anyone else has had vibration and cured it would love to hear how you did it.
    I agree... For some reason the 06 Civic (not sure about the later models) acts like a sponge absorbing all kinds of noise. Other than that, it's a good car, my only other beef is the low clearance, got to be really careful around curbs ;)