Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic 2006-2007 Issues

Comments

• sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Honda knows which vin numbers have the bad part from that particular manufacturer and is only sending the notices out to them. Four of us in my office have '06 Civic's, 1 EX and the rest LX's and I was the only one to get the notice from Honda. One other guy is going to call Honda just to see if his actually needs the work done. Will keep you posted on that.
    At this point...don't worry about it.

The Sandman :)
  • tgmsrtgmsr Member Posts: 1
    My car was recalled twice already & just few days ago by driver's sun visor fell apart, it just popped open when I tried to lower it, and cannot be fixed - It's now hanging in my face. A nearby honda Dealer ordered part for me but one of the staff says it costs me about $100 to fix but the other guy said it might be under warranty. I will see what will happened when it's fixed. It's in the driver side.The passenger side is OK but may be because I don't have passenger almost all the time. I disagree that it's not a safety issue because it's a distraction in front, & I have to lower my seat to be able to safely drive. Honda should look at this issue, it's about customer's safety.
  • wbeattiewbeattie Member Posts: 9
    I also have had problems with the sun visor. As soon as the car gets hot the plastic starts to come apart. You are no alone.
  • 9baller9baller Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2006 Civic EX and have 68K on it. I'm wondering if anybody has had the opportunity to put many miles on there Civic after the TSB 08-001 fix? I put a fair amount of miles on my vehicles and I drive 1000 highway miles a month just picking up and dropping my daughter off for visitations since her mother moved about 2 hours away. My concern is having the same issue after they do the TSB I have scheduled for this coming tuesday. I read in another post where a guy had the same problem in his 2008 after the salesman told him the control arm issue was fixed in the '08. If that's the case, then Honda's fix isn't too good of one. I hope it is a good fix because I love the car. However, I drive way too much and way too fast to have a car ride as rough as mine does above 50 MPH! My mom just bought a new '09 Camry and has let me drive it about 50 miles or so. That car drove so smooth that I have no problem getting rid of my Civic for one if the TSB doesn't fix the issue. I would like to make that decision now before I get a new set of tires that end up doing the same thing 10-15K miles down the road. I will definately get rid of it then but the only way I could sell it would be if I bought another set of tires because anyone who test drives it will notice the obvious problem. To avoid that situation, I'm looking for anyone that has been able to put some miles on their new tires after the TSB 08-001 was performed on there car. I figured since it is so new that nobody has had that chance but it's worth a shot. I've looked in earlier posts and I'm sorry if this was addressed before and I just missed it. Thanks.
  • wbeattiewbeattie Member Posts: 9
    I am taking my car back today as a matter of fact. I had the TSB done about two months ago. It still had noise coming from the tires after the fix. The dealer told me I needed new tires. I bought the tires from someone else and now its so loud that I can't stand it. I have about seven hundred miles left on my warranty and this is the third time I have taken it back for noise. I am going to call Honda and tell them I want the warranty extended for this problem. This is the worst car I have ever bought.
  • bartoshevichbartoshevich Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 Civic has 55,000 miles on it and when I parked the car yesterday steam came out from under the hood.
    I had a local mechanic check it and found out my block was cracked (defective casting).
    I had it towed to the dealer and was told there is a recall on water pump bolts coming loose and leaking water. In my case the block was cracked and the head of service wanted me to pay $1450.00 (half the replacement cost). Come to find out the 2006 Honda Civic has a 5 year 60,000 mile warranty!!!! The same person who was in my face about me paying for the replacement was literally kissing my feet and could not have been nicer, they even arranged a free rental until my cari is repaired.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Wow! Thank goodness for that warranty extension by Honda on their vehicles in 2006!
    Had that oil leak again in the garage yesterday morning. Took it to Honda and they found everything dry underneath. This time I got them to document it. Only happens like every 2 weeks or so that I see a puddle and it's a brownish color with that oily slickness to it. Baffling situation for myself and Honda. Any suggestions out there?
    The a/c reflash has stopped any hot air issues, even though I only felt it like three different times.
    Still love the car and the only car I'd think to replace it with at this point would be the Nissan Sentra with the CVT tranny. Drove a bit more powerful than the Civic and shifted much smoother also, as smooth as our Mazda 3s. Just not to crazy about it's looks.

• bobintampabobintampa Member Posts: 10
    Took my 2007 Honda Civic in for an oil change today and the service advisor informed me that there was a recall dealing with the water pump. I'm looking at the service receipt and it says: 'B Update-Water Pump Pulley Bolts' Cause - Recall. And it shows one part a Kit, Pulley. Has anyone else heard about this? I don't drive this car very often but when i do I am impressed with the sporty drive.
    Thanks.
  • artvandelay916artvandelay916 Member Posts: 1
    I have a friend in Northern California who has the same problem with his 2006 Honda Civic. He called Honda USA and went to his local Honda dealer and the dealers never even have heard of the problem.
    Had this done last week to my '06 LX. Got a notice in the mail from Honda 2 days previous, called up and made the appointment for 2 days later. They also did the a/c reflash and the rear upper control arms. Took them about 6 hours total. Had the Lug Bug issue taken care of back in '07 so pretty much good to go here. Lesson learned, don't buy a 1st year model...broke my #1 rule...but needed to buy when I did and really wanted the Civic.
    Live and learn...still a great car.

• leavenfish1leavenfish1 Member Posts: 65
    Forgive my ignorance: 2006 EX 4D. I am about to replace my tires - 46k - If I replace them and then mention the TSB, will a dealer perform the TSB for the uneven/rapid tire ware or will he need to check for tire ware on the new tires...before I eventually rotate them?
    Also, in the difference between a recall and a TSB, will you be out of pocket for a TSB repair itself?
    46k miles on the crappy oem tires ain't to bad honestly. I was lucky that my store decided at the last minute to do the rear control arms...they had already told me 15 minutes earlier that it was a "no go". Now to write to Honda corporate about some possible refund on the new tires I needed to buy at 11k and 14k miles. Expecting nothing but hoping for something.

The Sandman :confuse:
  • stratopaulstratopaul Member Posts: 1
    Both of my visors have recently broken, but I'm just over 36K, so I'm worried the warranty won't cover it. I have a service this week and I'll try to resolve the issue with the dealer.
    Hey Sandman, this might be a stupid question, but what was the Lug Bug issue you referred to? If it's something I need to look into, I need to do it now before I take my car in for the TSB. They looked at it this morning and said I was going to need it done and that I needed four new tires. I told them it doesn't take a genius to figure that out since I told them that's what needed to be done. They said they had to take a look for themselves. I guess since all of them are having this problem, they needed to look to make sure I wasn't lying. They then had to get back with me on whether my extended, so called, bumper to bumper warranty would include the fix. They then told me the mileage for tire wear only applied to the mileage on the car and not on the mileage of the tires. So if your car has over twenty thousand miles on it, your out of luck even though the new tires I have to buy will make my forth set and I only have about 15K on the ones on there now. They said there's nothing they will do even though the problem was caused by a design flaw by Honda. Wow, what a way to back your product! They called back and said they got the OK for the warranty work and I should schedule a time for them to install the control arm and align the wheels. Boy, that new Camry sure is looking better!
  • skeeter11skeeter11 Member Posts: 33
    I need to replace my OEM tires on my 06 civic. For those of you who have already replaced your OEM tires, what did you replace them with? Are you satisfied with your replacements? I am interested in an all season tire that will perform well, especially during the winter months here in the northeast. I would like to avoid buying a separate set of snow tires. Thanks for your feedback.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Here ya go: Honda Civic Lug Bug Problem. Hope this helps!
  • hondarosehondarose Member Posts: 2
    I thought I was the only one. I have a Honda Civic 2006 with 38,000 miles. Both visors are broken. Did you get them fixed?
  • hondarosehondarose Member Posts: 2
    Identical problem with my 2006 Honda Civc LX 2d coupe. Haven't taken it in yet.
    Is the 5 year 60,000 mile warranty on the 2006 civic, a bumper-to-bumper warranty? Also, where is this warranty information documented? Thanks.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    No, that's the powertrain warranty. The bumper-to-bumper is 3 years/36k miles. Here's the link to warranty info:

http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-sedan/warranty.aspx
    Is the clutch considered part of the powertrain?
    Is there a way to lock all doors when driving and unlocking when putting car into P? Noticed many cars have this feature and wondered if the LX model also has this feature?
    T I A.

Yes, but the clutch is normally covered only for defects. So for example if the clutch pressure plate simply wears out through normal usage, that is typically not covered under powertrain warranties. But Honda's might be different in that regard--you could call Honda Customer Service if you want to be sure.

Yet another reason to get an automatic. :)
  • will26will26 Member Posts: 62
    I love my car but when it comes to the headlights I hate driving at night. They don't reach far enough, especially the left side. I've put fogs on and that helps a little. How hard is it to adjust them? Should I have a professional do it?
    There are two options I wish my car had. One is automatic headlights and the other one is automatic door locks. I wish this car did lock while driving and unlock when parked. I'd like it as a safety feature when I have my kids in the car. I lock the door so nobody can run up on the car and get to my kids but it's a pain remembering to unlock the car when we stop. I always forget and ram my left arm into the door before I unlock it. Sorry for us both Sandman!
  • kathyc1kathyc1 Member Posts: 138
    My 2007 Civic did unlock when I stopped and put it into park. I had to go into the manual to see how to turn that off. I don't want my doors opening on their own. That's dangerous!
  • jonesbb630jonesbb630 Member Posts: 31
    If your civic is automatic, check your manual. Their is different senarios your can program using you ingition key with your power lock buttons. Check it out.
  • bcwoodsbcwoods Member Posts: 3
    Our 2006 Civic DX has a problem with the front seat covers coming off under the front edge. This has been a problem since we bought in Jan 2006. The dealer keeps clipping them back on. Finally this week they said the fixed the issue. They stapled them around the seat frame. We are not happy. Has anyone else had the same issue.

Also when we come to a rolling stop then accelerate the car stubbles then takes off. Dealer says this is normal because of electronics in the throttle setup.
    any comments or resolutions would be appreciated.

Overall we are not impressed with the "2006 car of the year"
    I have the same issue with my seat and have brought it in twice for them to fix. My issue is only with the driver's side however. They keep clipping it back in and it will pop off within a few weeks. They said the next time this happens they will order me a new seat cover. I will be taking it back in a few weeks for an oil change so I will bring the seat issue up again. I don't think stapling is a good idea for the fact that the fabric could rip around it.
    I can't help you with the seat problem because that hasn't turned up yet...as far as I know. But I've said before don't get into a situation with this car that requires getting out of the way in a hurry. There is no quick pick-up in it. I have a 2007 civic EX.
    It does ok as long as you aren't caught in the wrong gear (manual transmission). The auto downshifts promptly putting the engine into the strong part of the powerband (above 4k RPM) when given the boot and it does manage to get out of its own way as well as should be expected from a car capable of such excellent mileage; its much better than the last 1.8L Corolla I drove.

It isn't an Accord V6, but it's not a horse and buggy either; the 140 horse Civic is more powerful than my '96 Accord, and has an extra gear in the transmission to boot!
  • bcwoodsbcwoods Member Posts: 3
    Let me know how you made out. We have been going at this for 1 1/2 years. They still haven't order new seat covers.
  • craigblitzcraigblitz Member Posts: 20
    Wanted to post in case other users are searching for information.

My car has been experiencing really bad vibration and tire wear on the back ever since about 15,000 miles on it. At first it didn't bother me too much because it only occured at high speeds 70 + ). It got worse at all speeds so I finally was going to buy new tires to see if that helped. While searching for tires I came across the TSB 08-001. That explained my problems to the T. Took it to the dealership and printed out the TSB and said I want this work done. He also informed me that there was a recall on the Pulley Bolts and they would do that and call me about the TSB.

They agreed to replace the controller arms at their cost and did the recall work as well. He also said I needed new tires. I explained to him that I should not have to foot the full bill for the tires since I should expect to get 50k-60k on these tires. He was very professional and helpful and said his hands were ties and I should call America Honda.

I call them explained the situation and they told me to call Goodyear. I call Goodyear and they said they will not offer any assistance since they know about the TSB and acknowledge that there is a defect from Honda causing the issue. Was told to contact Honda again. Saw the run around coming a mile away so I kept my cool and thanked her for her time.

Called Honda and this time they opened a case and asked what I think should be done. I told them I expect them to pay for 50% of the new tires and cover the work costs associated with it. I said 50% because I have 25k on them and I do expect 50k from my tires.

On Monday, Honda case worker calls and says he need to talk with the dealership to see what they can do. Today is Wednesday and I still have not heard anything. Must take multiple days to make a call :(.

I am usually not this avid about things like this but this a crock. This issue should not be a TSB it should be a recall. The consumer should not be footed with a bill that Honda is responsible for. I am not sure what the outcome will be, but I will go to small claims court for this out of principle. This run around I am doing should not have to occur. They recognize they have an problem, now do the right thing by the customer and fix it completely.

Like my car, dealership has been good to work with, but Honda corporate policy has me T'd off right now
    I hate to say it, but your story sound eerily familiar. We ended up with nothing out of Honda.

Our sales manager's daughter has a Civic which had the issue just like my dad's (and yours). After many phone calls, he got $94 out of American Honda, and actually offered to give that to my dad. He wouldn't take it though, saying it was the principle of the thing.

He wasn't happy with the dealers (he uses 2) in the first place. He bought the car in Birmingham (Serra Honda), but uses a service department on the Gulf Coast (Tameron Honda in Daphne, AL). Serra, where the sales manager we use is, wouldn't help, saying since Tameron did the work, they had to get money for the tires, and they had already said there was nothing they could do (not bothering to help with American Honda).

It is sad that our Honda dealer (Serra), previously known for having great customer service, now just says "call Honda's 1-800 number and tell them your problem.

The Civic, and my Accord are likely the last Hondas we'll own, at least until we can see that something has changed. They are loving their new '08 Ford Taurus (which they own as well as the Civic), and have no complaints so far.
    I've always heard the Taurus is a wonderful car. Where I worked for civil service all the cars were Taurus and they never gave us any trouble. Lasted for years.
    After this, I won't stray from the topic any more (I promise HOST! :blush: ), but the Taurus of old days is gone; this is basically a rebadged and much more powerful Ford Five Hundred.

Interestingly, a Taurus can be had for the price of a Civic!

Speaking of the Civic...how about those 2006-2007 issues, eh? ;)
    Don't understand when someone says "they expect 50k miles from their tires". OEM tires won't be giving anyone 50k miles unless they're Michelin tires. I also had the tire problems with my 1st set and will be sending in copies of my receipts hoping for some kind of $ compensation but am not holding my breath on it. I've looked through my papers and can't find anything about the oem Goodyears lasting "50k" or being supposed to. Please let me know where to find the link to this and I'll send it to Honda along with my receipts.

The Sandman :confuse:
    OEM tires won't be giving anyone 50k miles unless they're Michelin tires.

And maybe not even then. The last set of OEM Michelins I had needed replacement after only 30k miles, and that was with rotating every 6k. Yet I just bought a minivan with low-end OEM Goodyears on it, and they still have good tread on them at just over 50k miles, will probably last another 10k at least. Go figure.
  • craigblitzcraigblitz Member Posts: 20
    "they expect 50k miles from their tires"

That was me who said based on the last 5-6 sets of tires I have owned. I rotate every 6,000 miles and I have never needed a tired replaced before 50,000, not once. I always buy Goodyear and Kumho tires. So nothing to back this other then perception/expereince is reality.
  • nealmnealm Member Posts: 41
    It's not unusual to have OK tread at 50K, but I would be questioning the sidewall stability and the integrity of the steel and rubber belts that are the layers of the radial at that mileage. I would suggest that 50k tires, no matter how the tread looks, compromise safety at highway speeds. Mileage claims by manufacturers are about marketing and represent a guideline for comparing tire life. Over 50k is pushing the envelope on safety.
    Doubt many oem tires will last 50k miles except some Michelins. They seem to be one of the best tire makers out there.

Would it matter if the 50k were almost all highway miles and the tires were only about 18 months old? They actually look brand-new, except for the tread depth of course. Why would steel belts wear down from driving 50k easy miles, in a minvan (i.e. no rubber burning or squealing around corners)?
    Maybe someday Honda will put them on the Civic.

:)
  • nealmnealm Member Posts: 41
    Good point... I really don't know Backy. I just know that I have read that tread can be misleading. 18 months is a young tire and your use (full highway) seems more forgiving to belts than winding backroads... but given the safety issue (and I would guess that tires are the major safety factor in highway speed travel) it would be good to get some expert feedback on their use. Maybe there is info on this at Tire Rack.
    Maybe so. But I'd prefer to get the expert advice from someone who is not in the business of selling tires. ;) For example, here is a CR article on the subject:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/tires-auto-parts/tires/tire-sorter-cars/- allseason-tires-1105/overview/

Here is an excerpt (emphasis added by me):

Tread life is important, but it shouldn’t outweigh braking, handling, and other critical safety factors. Indeed, tires that last too long may pose a safety risk, since rubber compounds deteriorate with age. That has led some automakers to recommend discarding tires after six years, regardless of wear. So far, the list includes BMW, DaimlerChrysler, Ford, Mazda, and Volkswagen, though not General Motors.

We recommend that you check your tires regularly for wear, cuts, and bulges, and replace tires older than 10 years.

So I think my 18-month old tires still have some safe life left in them, as long as they haven't been abused or damaged.
    I went to the dealer Friday and they have ordered me a new seat cover.
    Does anyone remember offhand Honda's 800 number? I need to call and see how to start the procedure about possibly getting some reinbursement $ for my bad tires.
    T I A all.

I need to call and see how to start the procedure about possibly getting some reinbursement $ for my bad tires.

God help you...

I don't know the number sandman, sorry. Don't expect anything when you do call, though. Keep us posted!
    Might as well give it a shot...got nothin' to loose at this point.