BMW Extended Warranty/Service Contract Program

samnorcalsamnorcal Member Posts: 23
edited December 2018 in BMW
Hello there! My 2011 BMW 550 is out of manufacturer warranty. My local dealer sent me information about Service Contract Program (there's no pricing).

Looking for some guidance on how to get extended warranty and any dealers who have better pricing to provide Service Contracts for out of warranty BMW vehicles.

Thanks!

Comments

  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 197,762
    samnorcal said:

    Hello there! My 2011 BMW 550 is out of manufacturer warranty. My local dealer sent me information about Service Contract Program (there's no pricing).

    Looking for some guidance on how to get extended warranty and any dealers who have better pricing to provide Service Contracts for out of warranty BMW vehicles.

    Thanks!

    I don't think you can get an actual BMW plan for an extended warranty, once your warranty has expired. Anything available would be a third party warranty.

    Whatever you find is likely to be horrendously expensive on an 8 year old BMW.

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

    Edmunds Moderator

  • samnorcalsamnorcal Member Posts: 23
    thanks! that is what I am afraid of and not getting into a frenzy... Is there better of some of these vendors that can offer this? My car is paid off, has 30K miles on it, I have driven less (mostly highway miles)... I struggle with emotionally whether to sell it/trade it or keep it (it has depreciated a LOT and risk coming up with expensive repairs... Is there a good advise out there :)..
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 197,762
    samnorcal said:

    thanks! that is what I am afraid of and not getting into a frenzy... Is there better of some of these vendors that can offer this? My car is paid off, has 30K miles on it, I have driven less (mostly highway miles)... I struggle with emotionally whether to sell it/trade it or keep it (it has depreciated a LOT and risk coming up with expensive repairs... Is there a good advise out there :)..

    If your car is paid for and has low miles, then just drive it. If you could afford the payments on a 5-series, then you can afford to maintain and repair it.

    It might not be cheap, but it's a heck of a lot less expensive than a new car lease payment for something in that price range. If you enjoy the car, don't sweat the repairs/maintenance.

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

    Edmunds Moderator

  • Alex0861Alex0861 Miami Member Posts: 19
    Hi currently leased a 2018 530 but I have a high mileage lease of 36/15k miles per year. In 3 years that would put me around 45k miles. The BMW Free Ultimate Care Service program only covers upto 36k miles. Should I buy the extra 1 year warranty plus the brake package. They quoted me $799 for brake package and another 1200$ for the extra 1 year 4yr/50k mileage service program. Total is $1999 plus tax. Do I need to get this ? Is there an alternative ? Anyone else selling BMW service program cheaper ?  I only ask because the dealers loves to markup everything.   

    Thanks 
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 197,762
    Alex0861 said:

    Hi currently leased a 2018 530 but I have a high mileage lease of 36/15k miles per year. In 3 years that would put me around 45k miles. The BMW Free Ultimate Care Service program only covers upto 36k miles. Should I buy the extra 1 year warranty plus the brake package. They quoted me $799 for brake package and another 1200$ for the extra 1 year 4yr/50k mileage service program. Total is $1999 plus tax. Do I need to get this ? Is there an alternative ? Anyone else selling BMW service program cheaper ?  I only ask because the dealers loves to markup everything.   

    Thanks 

    $2000 for 9000 miles of coverage?

    Just take your chances. You are under warranty the entire time, so your only possible costs are maintenance.

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

    Edmunds Moderator

  • Alex0861Alex0861 Miami Member Posts: 19
    Yeah I totally understand that part. I guess what I’m really asking is if the 40k service a major one or just the regular oil change and filter. I don’t want BMW to run me through the ringer when they find out my car is out of warranty and decide to charge me for things I really don’t need. 
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoModerator Posts: 193,174
    Alex0861 said:

    Yeah I totally understand that part. I guess what I’m really asking is if the 40k service a major one or just the regular oil change and filter. I don’t want BMW to run me through the ringer when they find out my car is out of warranty and decide to charge me for things I really don’t need. 

    Warranty is not the same thing as maintenance. You'll have to pay for the 40K service whether you have a the extended warranty or not.

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!


    MODERATOR

    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 197,762
    Alex0861 said:

    Yeah I totally understand that part. I guess what I’m really asking is if the 40k service a major one or just the regular oil change and filter. I don’t want BMW to run me through the ringer when they find out my car is out of warranty and decide to charge me for things I really don’t need. 

    No one can tell you for sure what your costs might be. But, for $2000, I would take my chances (think I already said that).

    BMWs have condition-based service, so on one can even tell you exactly at what mileage the services will come up.

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

    Edmunds Moderator

Sign In or Register to comment.