Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

97 dakota transmission issue

hunter03hunter03 MainePosts: 2
edited December 2018 in Dodge
I have a 1997 dodge Dakota 5.2 4x4 46re transmission I believe, I had a code for "torque converter clutch solenoid ",I changed fluid and filter,no code now,but now all I have is reverse and first,no 2nd no 3rd,and no mil light,any ideas ?

Answers

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    edited December 2018
    The clutch solenoid wouldn't cause loss of 1, 2 and 3 gears. If the solenoid were stuck closed you might not notice it at all, and if it were stuck open you'd stall when you came to a stop.

Something else going on here. It's possible that if the solenoid has been stuck closed for a long time, and you didn't notice much (except maybe a drop in gas mileage), then slippage will occur at higher speeds, and this causes a heat buildup----and heat is the worst enemy of an automatic transmission.

You may have to go to a transmission shop for a pressure test or more detailed diagnostics with a better scan tool.

If you put the transmission into "Low" and it still doesn't move, then it's pretty certain it's an internal mechanical problem.
  • hunter03hunter03 MainePosts: 2
    It does move in low and reverse only,30 mph in low,no slippage