Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Have you recently used your tax refund (or are you planning on using your tax refund) toward the payment of a new or used vehicle? Or, are you planning on using your tax refund toward any expenses related to your car?
If so, a reporter would like to talk to you. Please reach out to [email protected] by Friday, January 25 and the Edmunds PR team may connect you with the journalist.

Are you the parent of a generation Z child (born in the mid-1990s to the early 2000s)? Do you have differing opinions on the importance of buying a car, what types of vehicles you're interested in, or just how you view cars in general? If so, a reporter would like to speak with you and your child. Please reach out to [email protected] by Friday, January 25 and the Edmunds PR team may connect you with the journalist.

JEEP COMPASS 2019 - no start

JERIDARIAJERIDARIA MELVILLE, NEW YORKPosts: 4
edited December 2018 in Jeep
Just got in my Jeep tried to start it. Break would not allow me to push button to start. On screen it said ON not RUN. When I opened door of car it said car told me to press break and push start but it would not work.

Answers

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 62,987
    Check and see if you have brake lights. If not, then perhaps your brake light switch has failed and so the ECM isn't getting the signal to allow a start.

Not a great "start" for a 2019 Jeep. Did you try jiggling the gearshift lever. The Jeep will not start if it thinks it is in Drive or Reverse. This is called a "Neutral Safety Switch" and it could have also been the problem.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Share Your Vehicle Reviews Here

• JERIDARIAJERIDARIA MELVILLE, NEW YORKPosts: 4
    Thank you just did not understand why it started an hour later without a problem. 
    Motor light was on the screen it said ON INSTEAD OF RUN. When I got in car in an hour it worked and the screen said JEEP RUN AND THE BUTTON WORKED TO START THE JEEP. Very strange 
    not sure why it worked an hour later while waiting for the tow truck which I cancelled. 
    Here's a guy on YouTube that seems to have had the same problem as you:

Same thing happened to us last night December 29, 2018 with our 2019 JEEP COMPASS WITH ONLY 299 miles. About an hour later we tried again and car started. What is the reason? 
    That would be hard to know unless diagnostic equipment were in place at the time of the occurrence. If you bring it in to the dealer while it is behaving perfectly, they'll probably give you back a repair order with the words "could not duplicate the problem" written on it.

My suggestion would be if it happens again, and then you try a restart say 3-4 times and it won't start, then have it towed to the dealer. That gives them a better chance of locating the problem.