Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Just wondering how long a Suburban can last with regular maintenance and care.

SalukiSaluki Member Posts: 1
edited February 2019 in Chevrolet
I have a Suburban 2003 and it has about 230,000 miles and am a bit worried that I it might "die" on a long road trip. Maintenance was always regular, any problems were fixed, which were rare. I took care of this SUV like a baby. I've traveled across the US with at least 2 dogs to go to dog shows. But still I worry as it is aging. So I am wondering what other year was a good year for this auto. I also worry about technology and gadgets and computers. The more of this the more breakdowns or repairs. Has anyone gone on to 300,000 miles?

Answers

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    If you can believe what you see on YouTube, there are lots of people who push Suburbans to 300,000 and then some. They do seem to be among the longest-lived vehicles on the road. Sure, some components might fail now and then---that's to be expected on an old high mileage car. But, with regular maintenance that is carefully done, I don't see any reason why you can't keep rollin' with it.

The trick with maintenance on a high mileage vehicle is to make it "preventative" rather than "reactive". Keep going in for regular check-ups, so that the mechanics can spot things like leaks, or frayed hoses and belts, or wonky tires, or thin brake pads, broken exhaust hangers, etc. These are things that in themselves might be cheap to fix, but if they are let go to fail completely, they could cause a major expense.

Also, part of owning such a high mileage vehicle is choosing what not to fix--to spend your money where it really counts. Maybe you can live with the right rear window now rolling down anymore, or that little dent.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,204
    Saluki said:

I have a Suburban 2003 and it has about 230,000 miles and am a bit worried that I it might "die" on a long road trip. Maintenance was always regular, any problems were fixed, which were rare. I took care of this SUV like a baby. I've traveled across the US with at least 2 dogs to go to dog shows. But still I worry as it is aging. So I am wondering what other year was a good year for this auto. I also worry about technology and gadgets and computers. The more of this the more breakdowns or repairs. Has anyone gone on to 300,000 miles?

You might check out this discussion:
    https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/9597/chevrolet/suburban/high-mileage-suburbans#latest

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator