Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

BMW Owners Club - Meet the Members

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 8,769
edited March 21 in BMW
Hello BMW owners! Welcome to the Edmunds forums.
Whether you're a first time BMW owner or having been driving them for years, take a moment to introduce yourself and share some details about your vehicle.

Edmunds Moderator

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Just purchased or leased a vehicle? Write your own vehicle review

Meet your fellow owners and discuss your vehicles in our Owners Clubs

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 12,060
    I’ve owned BMWs since 1983 and currently have three in the garage. I enjoyed HPDEs, rallies, concours, and the occasional Stop Light Grand Prix.
     I have restored a couple of older BMWs and still do a bit of wrenching on my current cars. 

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 8,769
    Since you've restored some, is there a particular year/model that's a favorite?? These always sorta caught my eye, despite the "shopping cart handle" :)

Edmunds Moderator

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I miss my 1988 M6. I always planned to pick up an E30 M3 like the one pictured but prices seemingly spiked overnight. Other vintage BMWs I like are the 3.0 CS, 2002tii, and the E34 M5. 

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i

I miss my 1988 M6. I always planned to pick up an E30 M3 like the one pictured but prices seemingly spiked overnight. Other vintage BMWs I like are the 3.0 CS, 2002tii, and the E34 M5. 

A sudden outbreak of nostalgia!

Edmunds Moderator

• ksomanksoman Posts: 674
    The only BMW I do miss is my 2004 3cabrio with its sweet sweet 6bangers that I bought in '03. It was around the time the 3's had just started getting bloated and fat and unwieldy and stupid. But because this was at that cusp, the car still handled reasonably great for mediocre money (compared to the M). You could still buy a mainline BMW and push it as hard as any amateur could dare. But the car was an ownership nightmare. This year, finally, I'm free of the BMW family.
    Yea, that was a slick ride. What color was yours?

Edmunds Moderator

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 117,400
    We had an '05.

Silver-Gray over black interior. Uninspiring color

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Don't know why, but I flashed onto this BMW from the movie The In-Laws :)

I have flames on my car. I HAVE FLAMES ON MY CAR!
    - Dr. Sheldon Kornpett

Edmunds Moderator

Roundabout this:

I like that blue/blue look. Sharp!

Edmunds Moderator

It was one of the sweetest drives (for an average person) prior to the '16 Miata and '19 Giulia.

BUT, in 3.5 years and 50K miles...
    1. Full dash electronic death @ 27,000 miles
    2. Convertible top getting stuck halfway up or down (7-8 times starting @7,000 miles)
    3. Driver side rear quarter window stuck halfway up or down (too many times to count)
    4. Creaking noise from the rear right passenger side of soft top - fixed and returned 5 times
    5. Right LED taillight cluster failure (@14,000 miles & @31,000 miles)
    6. Left LED taillight cluster failure (@19,000 miles)
    7. Bi-Xenon auto-leveling going haywire temporarily (few times)
    8. Bi-Xenon turn-angle getting stuck temporarily (few times)
    9. CD getting stuck (a couple of times)
    10. Sport package rims cracking (0 in AZ, 7 in NJ - okay it's my fault I moved there)
    11. Tires lost due to potholes - 5 - my fault
    12. Oil pan crack - @ 18,000 miles
    13. LED Brake light bar at back of convertible top - dead @36,000 miles

Let's stop @ luck 13 to complain. I went out and got more BMWs after this. Shame on me.
    edited May 14
    Well, you can run into a less than perfect car in any brand!

#10 - NJ WILL do that to wheels!

Edmunds Moderator

Funny.. we leased our '05 for three years and 45K miles. I can't remember a single issue with it.

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

Funny.. we leased our '05 for three years and 45K miles. I can't remember a single issue with it.

I've never had any of those issues on any of my newer BMWs. The most common issue has been oil filter housing and valve cover gaskets.

kyfdx said:

I've never had any of those issues on any of my newer BMWs. The most common issue has been oil filter housing and valve cover gaskets.
    I have an '06 (coupe, not convertible). I've done dozens of repairs and preventive maintenance items, but it has 122K miles. But, almost all have been post 70K miles

Edmunds Moderator

edited May 15
    Must be me. I've owned or leased 18 vehicles in the last 25 years. Only the BMWs had troubled souls.

That '04 ticked all the boxes. Soft Top - check. Super super super sweet straight six with the sound of heaven - check. Amazing chassis setup for a cabrio - check. Head turner in whatever shade of blue we had - check. Fun on straights, fun on twists - check. Put a smile on the face the moment the car started rolling - check.

Subsequent cabrios only checked the first two boxes. And now they don't even make any tinpots without turbos. Yuck. If you want to make a turbo, at least make it sound like the Italians do.

None checked the pleasure of ownership box. But it gave me the thrill of feeling like I'm playing the lottery every time I went to the car. Haha. I think I'm done complaining for today.
    edited May 15
    Heh... well, it's like family members I guess. Some of those are higher maintenance as well ;)

Any pics from the family album of those old, cranky ones?

Edmunds Moderator

I would not dare post.....hahahahahaha
    PF_Flyer said:

Heh... well, it's like family members I guess. Some of those are higher maintenance as well ;)

Any pics from the family album of those old, cranky ones?

Awww... how bad could it be?? Somewhere around the forums I posted a pic of my 1973 Chevy Vega... and lived to tell about it ;)

Edmunds Moderator

Oh wait... I thought you meant to post pictures of the old cranky family members!
    Heh...I got some of those too!

Edmunds Moderator