Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Security System Questions

snpatel1snpatel1 Member Posts: 2
I have a 2000 Honda Accord coupe with an anti-theft device and an aftermarket auto start system. Recently, I've been running into a problem where my anti-theft device gets riggered and the lights and horn start going off for two minutes at a time then stop. I can't figure out what's going on. First, I thought it was a wire that attached to the hood to signal when the hood was open or closed and activate the alarm accordingly. This wire had broken off an actuator switch so I grounded the wire thinking this would solve the problem. It worked for about a month, then the problem started again. Honda dealers tell me the problem can be with a pin in my door lock, but it costs a lot to fix.

I was wondering if there's a way for me to get my anti-theft disabled so the horn and lights would stop flashing. I park my car in a garage in suburbia so I'm not too worried about it getting stolen.

Any help would be great. Thank you.

Sanjiv

Comments

• r1220foolior1220foolio Member Posts: 1
    Ok I have a 2005 Honda Accord. I was wondering that since it already has the factory alarm, will the alarm go off if someone breaks the windows? I had my windows down and when I went to unlock it while it was armed, the alarm didnt go off. So i was just wondering. Lots of cars have been getting there windows broken at school and I didnt want that to happend to me. If thats the case then will I be able to put in a different car alarm in my car without messing it up? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    My 06 alarm will go off if I unlock the door with the window down. I'm sure you can figure out how I know that. ;)
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    I recall an upgrade option for the security system for glass breakage, at least when I purchased my 04 Accord. I would assume it's the same for your 05.

Mrbill
  • baccus49baccus49 Member Posts: 60
    My 2005 Accord does not arm the alarm unless you lock it using the button on the key. If you're locking it using the buttons in the car, that's why the alarm doesn't go off.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Not true in my 2006 EX. I lock the door from the interior button all the time, then close the door. Look at the dash, you should see a red LED blinking in the instrument cluster.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    The security system automatically sets 15 seconds after you lock the doors, hood and trunk. For the system to activate, you must lock the doors from the outside with the key, lock tab, door lock switch, or remote transmitter. The security system light on the instrument panel starts blinking immediately to show you the system is setting itself.
  • judybergjudyberg Member Posts: 1
    I live in the Midwest where we get quite a bit of winter snow. I would like to warm up my car in the morning before going to work to defrost it, but I don't seem to be able to leave it running and lock the doors (so as not to get stolen). Any ideas?
  • canm23canm23 Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE I 2004 HONDA ACCORD AND IT'S LIKE IT'S FROZEN. NOTHING WILL TURN ON. IT'S LIKE IT'S DEAD. IT'S NOT THE BATTERY EVERYTHING WAS TURNED OFF. I BELEIVE IT HAS TO DO WITH THE ANTI THEFT SYSTEM BUT I DONT KNOW HOW TO TURN IT OFF????? PLEASE HELP ME!!
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    From what my 03 manual says, the immobilizer system only cuts the fuel to the engine. The immobilizer system light would also be blinking. If the lights don't work, and the starter does not work, I think you have an electrical problem (battery, cables, etc.).
    I agree. Even with no key in the ignition, you should still be able to turn on headlights, hazard flashers, and dome lights. Doesn't sound like an alarm/immobilizer issue.

Try testing the battery?
  • p90650p90650 Member Posts: 1
    This is not a big item, but would like to find the headlight reminder chimes on my '93 Accord EX. They quit working and would like to repair or replace. Thanks!
  • jamesjaragonjamesjaragon Member Posts: 1
    So I left my car in the care of my unit in Nebraska. The battery dies. Now when they try to restart the car, the alarm goes off and they are unable to shut it off. What gives? What is the solution? I get back in thirty days...

Thanks!
  • paulawpaulaw Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2002 Accord and the alarm keeps going off, 3-4 times, for no apparent reason (while I'm sleeping no less!!). I was told to check the doors, trunk, hood and windows to make sure everything was closed properly and they were. Went to an Honda dealership and was told it's probably the hood latch, they have experienced this before. Hood closes just fine though. Does anyone have any other ideas as to what might cause this before I spend money to fix it? I can't lock my car incase it happens again.
    The hood latch on my 04 Accord has the alarm switch mounted in/on it. I'm assuming your 02 is similar. Like all hood latches, they collect all the grease/grime/dust from the road. My suggestion would be to spray the whole latch with WD40. Soak it down real good, you can't really overdue it. Now close-open-close the hood a few times to work the mechanism. This will help distribute the oil. Hopefully what's going on is the alarm switch is sticking, and adding the lube will work it loose.

Mrbill
    Thanks Mrbill, I'll try that. Can you see the hood latch alarm swith? Is it something I can disconnect incase the WD40 isn't enough to stop the problem?
    Not sure if you can see the switch on your 02. On my 04, when I look at the hood latch, I can see the cable for the hood release, and I also see an electrical cable going to the latch. Thats probably the alarm switch since I don't know of anything else electrical on a hood latch. As far as disconnecting, that probably can be done, but if you do unplug the switch, that cable will need to be jumpered (shorted) to keep from triggering the alarm.

Mrbill
    I'll have a look for the switch...thanks for your help!
  • robgraverobgrave Member Posts: 65
    "The security system automatically sets 15 seconds after you lock the doors, hood and trunk. For the system to activate, you must lock the doors from the outside with the key, lock tab, door lock switch, or remote transmitter. The security system light on the instrument panel starts blinking immediately to show you the system is setting itself."

This is a direct quote from the owner's manual, I've just noticed. Thing is, my system activates as soon as I remove the key from the ignition (2006 EX 4 liter). Locking the doors, manually or with the remote, makes no difference. Reinserting the key in the ignition deactivates the system (or, at least, the dash light stops blinking).

I've only just noticed this now because I've wondered whether leaving the car unlocked (in a locked garage) might help to avoid a battery drain problem I've been having. Twice now, late in winter, after leaving the car in the garage for a day or two, the battery's lost enough cranking power that I can't start up (headlamps are still bright, oddly enough.)

I'm not sure it's worth the bother, but I can't even begin to experiment with it with the system as it now functions. Leaving the driver's side door unlocked should keep the system from activating, as I understand it. I guess I'll have to have the dealer take a look (still under warranty.)
    As an edit to the above post, I should mention that the light for my system is not located in the instrument panel. It is on the dash, just above the "eject" button for my CD changer (I don't have a navigation system, where the configuration may be different.) The light is labeled "anti-theft device." But the light in the instrument panel, as illustrated in the manual, is not present.

It may be that my system is a different one that is discussed in the manual (?). And if so, perhaps its operational characteristics are not quite the same.

Funny that I should have the car for over 2 1/2 years without noticing this, but then, there it is: it never mattered until now.
    That light on the stereo is not an alarm, but simply a theft-deterrent. Honda has used these since the early 90s.

The alarm system in EX Hondas is the light in the instrument cluster.
    You know, standing directly behind the car, the steering wheel blocks out that light in the cluster. Never even noticed it before. I always assumed the anti-theft blinker was what mattered. (Manual says nothing about that one, BTW). Feel more than a little foolish about this, but anyway, thanks for straightening me out.

Yes, the alarm system light does work as advertised. It remains to be seen whether disabling the system is of any consequence as far as battery drain is concerned. Perhaps someday I'll have something positive to report about it.

Thanks again.
    No problem my friend!
    Well, these mistakes do happen. The first time I drove my Honda in the rain, I had to pull over to the curb, take out the Manual, and find out how to operate the wipers! Fifteen years with an Olds Cutlass was a foundation for confusion, it seems.

Re the alarm system: it was designed, I'm sure, to be activated over long periods of time without putting any significant load on the battery. I don't know specifically what the amperage requirements are, but I would suppose they are minimal. If the battery is fully charged, I would think there would be no problem.

Trouble is, the battery will weaken over the winter, particularly when the car doesn't get driven much. By late February (twice this has happened to me now), there can be starting problems. Then -- maybe -- disabling the alarm for overnight garage storage might make a difference. And then again, maybe not. Won't hurt to try.
  • kbussellkbussell Member Posts: 1
    We just put in a new battery and now the navigation system is asking for a security code in order to activate .

Is there an initial code that comes on the car , or how do I reset the code?
    You should have received a card with the radio and navi codes on it when you bought the car. Perhaps it is with your owner's manual?

If you can't find it, I believe you have to get help from a Honda dealer.
  • jamesongjamesong Member Posts: 6
    I just installed the Factory Honda Security System Hood Switch (part# 08E49-SDA-100) on my 2007 Accord SE, but it doesn't work. I ordered it from the dealer who said it would work with my car and installed it myself. I've made sure all the connections are good and all the parts were installed correctly (I've worked on many cars and know what I'm doing for the most part). I set the alarm with someone inside, have them release the hood and open it but the alarm does not go off. I've tried triggering it with a flat blade screwdriver, but that does not work either. Any ideas?
  • jmillerjmillerjmillerjmiller Member Posts: 113
    Keep in mind I haven't installed one of these. As you have experience installing these kind of items, you have probably done all this already, but:

1) First, you did disconnect the battery right? Just on the off chance that the computer memory dump that comes with it causes the thing to learn the new sensor.

I would guess it came with these directions:
    http://www.handa-accessories.com/accord/06-accord-hoodswitch.pdf

2) Make sure you have a good ground on the metal tab that is on the wiring pigtail - no ground, the alarm won't trigger.

NOTE that they appear to have shipped a new bolt specifically for the ground spot on the latch. Make sure there is no paint keeping the bolt and washer from good chassis contact.

You could check the ground with a meter, or just use a tempy jumper wire with the switch released (hood open) from the ground tab to the a good ground point on the engine and see if the alarm fires.

Other things to check are if any of the little metal pins got bent over in the connectors.

3) Note the last item about getting the power window auto to work again.

To state the obvious, just in case - from what I see, if you have the four cylinder on which the honda security system was a dealer installed option, for the hood switch to interact with:
    http://www.handa-accessories.com/accord/06-accord-security.pdf

4) You may have to check the alarm units installation (above) to make sure there is not a problem in one of the wiring harness connections made when it was installed. Especially the three pin wiring harness connector at the steering column.
    Yes I did disconnect the battery. Forgot to input my radio code before I went to the store so I had to drive in silence :(

Those are the exact instructions I followed, and I even bought it from the people that provided them, and as far as I can tell, the ground is good. I'll double check this weekend when I have time to take it apart (took me 2hrs the first time).

I thought it was weird though that I did not have the reprogram my drivers AUTO function. I've disconnected the battery a couple times before (Once with a USA Spec iPod connector) and have never had to do it. I don't know if this is normal or not.

& Yes, I have the OEM security system installed. Bought the car new in 07 and it came with it. I don't know if it's the exact one like in the link you posted, because I don't see a microphone on my dash, but I know it's the factory security system

I plan on taking all the wires apart and making sure they are snug again as well.
    Thanks for the response, I'll post back when I can.
    I was re-editing the post while you were reading it, adding some items. Just wanted to make sure you had the optional dealer installed alarm, if so, maybe checking the three pin connector it hooks to will help, as it is probably the same harness that the switch is connecting to under the hood.

Thanks.
    I edited mine as well.

As far as I know, my Accord came with the security system from the factory. But, I can't remember if it's ever gone off & I don't know of a good way to test it. (Other than arm it with a window down and open a door?)

I also purchased the outside temp kit at the same time. I'm a little reluctant to install it because it connects into the same harness as the hood switch. I want to get the switch working first before I install the temp kit.

Thanks
    I don't know of a good way to test it.

Just lock the doors with the window down and then reach in to unlock the door by pulling on the lock stem. Speaking from (ahem) experience.

You can also press the panic button on the key fob.
    At the gas station this morning I rolled down the driver side window, set the alarm (clicking "lock" twice on the fob and the horn sounded) and then pulled up on the lock stem and opened the door, the alarm didn't sound.

I pushed the panic button when I got to work and it does go off when I press that.I just didn't know if the panic button was tied into the security system, or if it was on it's own.
    Well, I guess that answers your question about the alarm working or not. Something must not be connecting correctly in the doors. Sounds like the panic button is separate.
    Well, now that I've read some articles on it... I'm not 100% sure my car has the security system. I would think if the panic button sounded the alarm it would, but I'm not sure.
    I'm going to take a look this weekend to see if it does. I assume I would be looking for these parts to verify that it indeed does have the security system? http://www.handa-accessories.com/accord/06-accord-security.pdf

Thanks for all the responses!
    I just went back and looked at your original post. You say that you have an SE but not the engine size. The 07 SE V6 has a security system but the 4 does not. Perhaps you have the I-4.
    Yep. I have the 4cyl. Called the dealer to verify that today. Looks like I'll be purchasing the security kit as well (not from the dealer)

Thanks for all the help!
  • carols2carols2 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2006 Honda. Initially when I would use the key fob to lock and unlock the car there was no sound. The panic button did work. Recently I used the Home LInk to program my garage door opener. Now if I click the open button two times to open all the doors, the panic alarm goes off. I have to press the button once wait until it beeps and then press it again to open the other doors. I don't like the beeps and would like to turn them off. Today as I was driving the alarm system went off and I could only stop it by pressing a button on the fob. I tried turning the car off, but the alarm was still going. Really strange. Is there any link between the alarm system and the Home Link? What could I have done while training and programming the Home Link to have caused the alarm to become audible?
    Very odd. Not sure what you did but the car normally doesn't honk when unlocking. It will only honk when you lock it if you press the key fob lock button twice.
  • jandorjandor Member Posts: 2
    I am buying a new 2009 Honda Accord coupe EX-L. Correct me if I am wrong, but this comes standard with an immobilizer anti-theft key system. My dealer presented me with three further "improved" options to add to deter theft. The lowest price option was called "Secret". I did not understand all the details, but it is something that is attached directly to the car's computer, and disables the car from starting even more than the standard immobilizer. I believe they said it would immobilize even if a window were broken. It does not set off an audible alarm, and that is why it is called "Secret", I believe.

Anyone know more about this? I cannot find anything on the web. Wondering if it is worth the extra cost ($421).

Thanks
    Not sure of the 'Secret', most likely the real secret is how much they make if you buy it.

I am sure you have seen in this forum where some are having trouble with aftermarket security and remote start systems not integrating well with the factory system, so please choose wisely.

Also, the factory anti-theft should qualify for the insurance discount (tiny). No alarm will get anyone to pay it much attention, or stop a determined thief who has a temporary ignition system or a tow truck / flatbed.
  • jennyojennyo Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: Ran my battery out and now, recharged, the navigation has gone back to origall factory settings and is looking for a four digit password. not sure if i saved one or if it is just a general factory one. Need a password for my '08 accord navigation system.
    Your password is on a small card they gave you when you bought the car. The radio has one too. If you can't find it you'll have to contact a Honda dealer.
  • mwilflingmwilfling Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2003 Honda Accord. Has the standard Honda remote entry and security system. At times both FOBS will not work to open the doors or disarm the security ssytem. Replaced battery in FOB so know no issues with FOB. Usually only happens when it's raining over ngiht. Car is parked outside. Manually openning doors will set off the alarm and putting key in ignition and turning to on position will not disable the alarm. Anyone have any idea what is happening and what needs to be done to get it fixed. Dealer had car for two weeks and didn't happen for them. Dealer stating they can't do anything until it fails for them
  • jesszhondajesszhonda Member Posts: 4
    you might have already seen my other posting about my car locks cycling after the after-factory installed anti-theft security system triggers the locks. after reading some of these postings though, it got me to thinking...I don't even know if they ever unhooked my alarm system that came installed originally on my car (94 honda accord ex)! i don't know why, but I still have the keyring button remote in my glove box...is it possible that it could have turned itself on again and perhaps my problems are the two systems conflicting with one another? just a thought... :confuse:
  • kdp1959kdp1959 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1993 Accord that was stolen a few days ago. I found it a couple of days later none the worse for wear. It seems kids like to steal this model often. They tried to remove the cd player and door speakers but weren't bright enough to figure out how to get the door panels off and they didn't realize the CD player would not work without the face plate. They left the CD player and the harness adapter laying on the floor. While I was making repairs to the harness I remembered that Honda had a security plug installed at the bottom of the dash board. I recall the salesman saying that for a sum of money you could get a thumb plug that would allow you to remove the mini-PC card and thus disable the starting system when you are not using the car. Anyone know what the Honda offcial name for this option was?

thanks in advance
  • auburn6auburn6 Member Posts: 17
    That I can remember Honda didnt offer a factory option for this but dealers used aftermarket companies for that. The only factory option that I remember set off a horn alarm but did not disable the ignition. I have seen what you are talking about and that does take away the signal to the starter but do not know who makes it..
  • auburn6auburn6 Member Posts: 17
    I have read several post about alarms going off and just wanted to add that if they are going off for 2 min then it is a tripped sensor, if it is for 30 secounds then it is the panic being activated. Some systems allow you to pull history from them and find out which, other dealer installed system you can tell by the flashes of lights and horn beeps afterwards before setting it again and some is a guessing game.
    The panic 30 secound problem is usally always something to do with the key fob or the owner accidently initiating it.
    The 2 minuite alarm most of the time is a bad hood switch, normal position for most models is a open switch at closed position which allows for a voltage referance signal to the computer and closed( grounded) when open. If your model has one you should be able to find the micro switch on the bottom of the latch. You may have to remove it to check it unless you know how to do mode 1 and 2 multiplex test on like 98 and above..
  • afriend2u2afriend2u2 Member Posts: 1
    we disconnected the battery on a 1991 honda accord, now that we have reconnected it we cant turn the key because of an antitheft device on the car how do we fix that and override it
    This may be a dumb question, but have you wiggled the steering wheel? The steering wheel is made to lock to prevent theft without a key. Turning the wheel left or right while attempting to turn the key may solve your problem.
  • jbannerjbanner Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 honda accord ex. today the car alarm is going off when I open the door and when I manually unlock any door. It goes off for three minutes. I finally had to disconnect the car horn. Any suggestions on how to deactivate the alarm system manually?