Towing an RV - Which truck?

BrandyBrandy Buffalo ny Member Posts: 2
edited June 2019 in General
I am looking to tow a 32 ft tag a long trailer .. 9000lbs wet.. This will be a second vehicle and my budget is $13-14,000.. Are there any suggestion on a good used truck.. Everytime I get close to considering and ask how they are all of them have huge problems with them ! I am so confused.. I know I will need a 2500 or above and 4wd

Comments

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoModerator Posts: 207,895
    Brandy said:

I am looking to tow a 32 ft tag a long trailer .. 9000lbs wet.. This will be a second vehicle and my budget is $13-14,000.. Are there any suggestion on a good used truck.. Everytime I get close to considering and ask how they are all of them have huge problems with them ! I am so confused.. I know I will need a 2500 or above and 4wd

While I'm not going to be able to provide much feedback, I will send out a flare to some of our in house experts who can render an opinion.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 46,070
    at that weight, isn't it better to be going with a 5th wheel hitch set-up?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD , 2022 Ford Maverick Lariat Ecoboost FWD.

• BrandyBrandy Buffalo ny Member Posts: 2
    Its a tag along not a fifth wheel
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaMember Posts: 15,939
    edited June 2019
    From a stability and comfort perspective, it is far preferable to have a 5th wheel setup in that size. However, I assume here that the trailer is in hand and the truck is what you need to obtain, so, I concur that 3/4-ton and larger is needed. Some 1/2 tons are rated to tow that capacity (and larger), but it is extreme strain on them over long distances/time.

Beyond that, it's all about how you set it up than the truck itself. Brand doesn't matter. If you will be towing this regularly, including steep slopes, rough terrain, etc., I suggest a diesel engine. This is where they really shine in both fuel economy and torque. Beyond that, make sure that your vehicle includes a trailer brake controller, towing mirrors, etc. The problem is, this type of truck holds value very well. In the price range you suggest, I think you're looking at ten+ years of age and 100,000+ miles. You can get newer if you give up miles or older if you want to preserve them, but you cannot have both. :)

Use a load distributing hitch. Finally, practice backing the trailer. If you can't plug it into a slip with confidence, you aren't ready for the wild yet.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 208,901
    I agree.. your budget may not be high enough to obtain what you need. Used trucks are not cheap.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• sb55sb55 On an Island in VermontMember Posts: 571
    I tow a 31' Airstream with similar GVW. I have a Chevy Silverado 1500, but it has the Maximum Tow Package and the 6.2 motor. My yellow payload sticker is 2054, which is more than my neighbor's 2500. I have towed about 25,000 miles with it. It's a great truck for towing, but is hard to find. In your budget, look at a gas rather than diesel. There are a lot of towing/camper forums that can help answer questions.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2017 Chevy Silverado LTZ Ext. cab with 6.2 V-8, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT