Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Car shipping from MD to LA

nsrvnsrv Member Posts: 9
edited May 2023 in General
Hello,

can anyone recommend a few reliable carriers that can help transport my car from MD to LA? carriers or brokers?
I made the mistake of putting my information on some website and got bombarded with emails and texts from 20 different companies...they are still texting me.

I understand how most of these brokers just post it on the central dispatch website and carriers pick whoever is giving them the best deal.

thanks

Answers

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,061
    Passport Transport always gets great reviews. I have no personal experience. They won’t be cheap.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• nsrvnsrv Member Posts: 9
    thanks for your response..unfortunately they only do enclosed and its super expensive...I only have a minivan.. I am just surprised that there are no other recommendations or web sites I could trust with reviews...
    Shipping a vehicle is not something many people do. I'm not surprised at the lack of response, unfortunately.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• mkenny28mkenny28 Member Posts: 22
    nsrv said:

Hello,

can anyone recommend a few reliable carriers that can help transport my car from MD to LA? carriers or brokers?
    I made the mistake of putting my information on some website and got bombarded with emails and texts from 20 different companies...they are still texting me.

I understand how most of these brokers just post it on the central dispatch website and carriers pick whoever is giving them the best deal.

thanks

I just had my car transported from a dealership in St Petersburg, FL to New Orleans, LA. I used Montway Transportation but they just farmed it out to Top Line Service. It was pricey but worth it for me. The owner of Topline, Serge, did a great job and does runs all over the country. This time he was making a run from Florida back to California. He mentioned that I could contact him directly if I needed anything in the future.
    do you have his contact info? thanks
    For anyone that may need this info in the future...Had an excellent experience shipping my vehicle with Executive Auto Shippers (https://executiveautoshippers.com/) ..highly recommend them.
    nsrv said:

For anyone that may need this info in the future...Had an excellent experience shipping my vehicle with Executive Auto Shippers (https://executiveautoshippers.com/) ..highly recommend them.

Any info on cost? Just curious what it takes to ship a car cross-country.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,236
    kyfdx said:

nsrv said:

Any info on cost? Just curious what it takes to ship a car cross-country.
    I had a friend ship a car from Kentucky to Colorado a year or two back. Just about $1100 in an enclosed truck, or it would've been $700 or so in an open truck.

I'll guess those numbers would be higher since you are shipping a car all the way across the country.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Cost is totally arbitrary and found it to be all over the place...90% of the business is via brokers who then list your car and price on the central dispatch and hope for a carrier to pick up the car at the listed price (with $200-250 being broker commission)

I made the fatal mistake of intially going on one of the websites and putting in my request...within 30 mins I was bombarded with phone calls, txt messages and emails from all these brokers trying to win my business...all very shady. The prices for moving from MD to So Cal ranged anywhere from $1075 - $1650 for open transport.

I even called a couple of carriers directly and they quoted me around $1200-$1250, which seemed a little more reasonable and trustworthy and I planned to go with them until a friend recommended executive auto shippers.

They are brokers and quoted me $1125 (200 due once a driver is scheduled for pickup and remaining is due at delivery)... No additional fees. They were very quick in scheduling, broker and carrier were both very responsive and car picked up and delivered as promised.

hope this helps and saves some time/frustation for any future shippers.
    thanks
    neel

Thanks for the info!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• JonbonJonbon Member Posts: 1
    Try A1 Auto Transport. They deliver all over the country and you'll probably want an experienced nationwide carrier for a trip of that distance. They give free estimates like everyone else and are generally a little cheaper than the competition the few times I've had a car moved for me.
This discussion has been closed.