Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Transmission Problems

Comments

• rblazerrblazer Member Posts: 3
    hi i have a 1997 1500 extended cab 5.9L with 127,000 miles on it... for some reason when im going around 30 and hammer the pedal it wont down shift or have a big kick in, it will just keep in that gear and accelerate in that gear and eventually kick up higher gears, but it wont give that nice kick in or downshift... any thoughts?
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    The 45 & 46RE transmissions have what Chrysler calls a Throttle Valve Cable. This cable is used to control shift speeds, shift quality, and part-throttle downshift speed (sensitivity).

Look closely at the Throttle Body Lever where the accelerator cable is connected. You will notice a cable attached to this lever that routes downward along the right side (passenger side) of the transmission.

There is an adjustment procedure for this cable that must be followed precisely. If out of adjustment, slipping or shift flare, rough shifts, premature or late shifts will occur.

In your case I suspect that the Throttle Valve Cable linkage is sticking or disconnected. There is also a return spring on the cable bracket at the transmission. I've seen these broken or completely missing. In cold weather I've also seen the pivot shafts sticking causing long shifts. These get gummy after some years from oil and road grime.

Another possibility is a defective Throttle Positioin Sensor that's mounted on the Throttlebody, although I don't think this is quite as likely.

Best regards,
    Dusty
    Thanks dusty,
    im having it checked out on monday i just bought it there used so im sure if its something like that not to major they will fix it for free,, and im pretty sure its nothing major because its fine just shifting lower rpms and wont kick in to the fullest...
    Also they are fixing my speedometer for free because it sometimes stays at zero and doesnt always work...
  • mptoursmptours Member Posts: 2
  • mptoursmptours Member Posts: 2
    On a 96 1500 4x4 with 5.2 when it is warmed up it sticks in 1st gear, occationally goes to 2nd and never goes to 3rd. Could I be lucky enough for this to be a problem with the governer sensor in the tranny or do you figure it's a rebuild job
  • rick85rick85 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 02, 1500 Quad Cab 4.7, 2wheel drive, auto trans 45RFE serviced at 30,121 miles, fluid flush and fill. Now have 46,121 trouble free miles untill this; upon reversing I didn't properly stop completely upon putting gear selector in drive. Then the motor stalled, I restarted it and noticed all of the illuminated gear indicators were lit, IE: PRDN321 with the circular illuminated boxes around each gear position! What gear am I in! I can't tell, their all illuminated! Then upon driving the shifts were hard /harsh especially downshifts. I pulled over and stopped, then ran the selector lever through all the gears, still no change. Then I Shut the ignition off. I cycled the ignition switch off and on several times and this actually cleared the problem for a while. Next day driving reversed and the problem repeated again and I again repeated the ignition on and off. This cleared the problem again what the H-- is wrong with my truck? I Baby it, P.S. it has a jet chip (stage2). Intake and Headers. Help
    I have a limited slip rear end in my 2002 1500. When it was serviced the service mechanic did not add the limited slip additive. Then afterwards, it clunked when just pulling from stop and turning left or right. I returned to the service department after a couple of days and notified them of this problem. They corrected the missing anti slip additive and the clunking went away immediatly.
  • blueflublueflu Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 318 4wd w/170k miles original owner. It shifts fine when cold but as it warms up it hangs up between 2nd and 3rd. It will eventually shift at very high rpm's or can be shifter before that by quickly shifting into neutral and back into drive while keeping up acceleration. 4th and 5th shift fine. I put a Slick 50 treatment in to restore vescosity and the engine light went off and it shifted great for a few weeks but everything came back. The code is TCC ? Fluid was changed by a local garage a few times 3-4. Unknown what type they used.
    I commuted for 7 years all highway and never abused it. I was told by a trans shop, allegedly reputable, that the trans is on it's way out but I'm stubborn and refuse to accept that. Any ideas before I take it to the dealer. I'd like to try and remedy it myself before that.
  • 1bob1bob Member Posts: 2
  • 1bob1bob Member Posts: 2
    i have a 03 ram with 4.7 and auto tranny and today i got into my truck after work and when i put it in gear it had a stutter in the way the engine was idleing, thought it was weird but not a big deal then on my way home noticed a vibration but only when i was pressing the gas very lightly if i got into it it went away but it returnd right away when i waws trying to maintain a highway speed. Anyone else have any ideas as to what it could be
    Just got the truck back from the dealership for the shift indicators all lit at the same time malfunction. They diagnosed the problem to the solenoid valve body. Parts ordered and received in less than 12 hours. Total time in shop 2 hours 45 min. They also replaced all fluid and filters. All was covered on the 7/70 warranty. Cost $160.00 bucks $100. for deductable $60. for filters. Drives great!
  • lchanlchan Member Posts: 1
    Dusty,
    I have a 94 ram 2500 4x4, and it drives on the 1st gear and reverse. It does not drive on 2nd or D drive. When I shift to D drive, it just idle and rpm will go up when I press the gas paddle.

Any suggestion?
    Thank you for your help.
    LC
    Because of the year I'm assuming you have a 46RE.

There are four general possibilities:

*Poor electrical connections from water/corrosion at the transmission. A common problem on older vehicles. Very common on that vintage RAM.

*A stuck governor.

*A valve body problem caused by dirty fluid/inadequate filter and fluid changes.

*A badly worn or broken Front Servo/Kickdown Band.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • pamattpamatt Member Posts: 2
  • the7t1mercthe7t1merc Member Posts: 11
    dusty,just me again looking for some practical advice.

i just picked up a 97 2wd shortbed dodge,with the V-6 magnum and a 5 speed trans.

wondering what it would take,to put a v-8 where that 6 is now,and will the trans-nv-3500- handle a v-8 torque?
    keeping in mind,wheels are 10X15 rear,8 X 15 front---tires -50`s rear-60`s front
    (new-old-school torqthrusts)

donor motor would be a 97-318 magnum,automatic.
    computer has me worried,and the flywheel too..what do i need?

am thinking about building a sport truck,built for looks and cruising,rather than any sort of work duties.

thanks in advance,for any help..
  • huachucakidhuachucakid Member Posts: 3
    The other day, I hooked onto a front end loader to move it a couple of feet. Place it in 4wd 4L and tighten up, I found my back tires would dig a hole, and the front did not move. Is this normal?
    Steve
  • safoomasafooma Member Posts: 1
    Help, I seldom use my truck, today I drove it a few miles and the transmission seems to be stuck on either 1 or 2. Reverse works fine. Checked the harness attached to transmission and it appears fine. Tranny was serviced 10 to 15K ago, I assume that right fluid was used. How can I tell? Any suggestions? Thanks
  • gordengorden Member Posts: 1
    Well, I have the same truck and the same problem. Also been to the dealer with no explanation. Could this be an issue other than the transmission? I hope you have had better luck since your posting.
  • flash46flash46 Member Posts: 8
    My '01 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 has started doing a couple of strange things and with all the bad pub about the 46RE tranny I'm a little nervous about it cratering on me. What its doing is while cruising at 70mph and an RPM of approx. 2100 the tach jumps up about 200 rpm's every 3-5 minutes. If I turn-off cruise and maintain 70mph with my foot it doesn't happen. Also while rolling along at say 60 mph in O/D and I start going up a hill I press accelerator a small amount to maintain speed and the tranny will make a growling noise until I depress the accelerator about 25% then it downshifts into 3rd and goes up the hill no problem. Truck has 125K miles and tranny services approx every 25K. I changed the filter and fluid before this started happening using ATF+4 and 2 quarts of Lucas Trans fix because a buddy of mine says it works wonders on older trannys. Comments welcomed. Thanks
  • rambo57rambo57 Member Posts: 7
    Still having problems but a lot less severe. I had my transmission serviced and the bands adjusted/tightened. They indicated to me that they could only adjust one band and I forget which one that was...

Once this was done, my truck shifted fine for the next 3 months even though it sometimes seemed a little sensitive between 4th and 5th (would have to ease off the gas to get it to shift).

This past weekend I was cruising along about 70 miles per hour and the least amount of strain on the engine would cause the transmission to downshift (jump to 4000 RPMs). The only way to get it to shift back into high was to let off the gas. I would gently accelerate back up to speed in an attempt to prevent it from shifting again. I was pulling a trailer and had "Overdrive" turned off.

I'll check out the TPS and the electrical connectors. I'm still suspicious that my problem is related to a sensor or electrical connection since my problem is so erratic and will shift fine for long periods of time. I'm pretty sure Dexron-Mercon fluid has never been used but of course I'm not watching the service technician.

Thanks for your tips!
    Robbie
  • rambo57rambo57 Member Posts: 7
    I had a similar problem that after having diagnostic equipment hooked up to my transmission, the problem seemed to fix itself. I suspected bad/corroded electrical connections. Mine was doing that pretty consistently but I haven't had this problem for over a year. The bad news is I have had other problems. One posting told me to check the Throttle Position Cable.

Hope this helps if you haven't gotten it resolved.
  • rklammrklamm Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, i have a 01 Ram 1500 2WD with a 5.2 in it. I had the transmission rebuilt at about 80000 miles and I have 95000 on it now. When the transmission shifts into second it shifts again really quick but it is so fast that I cant tell if it is hitting third right away or just shifting in and out of second. It also doesn't want to do a hard downshift to a lower gear when it is around 30 or 40 so when you slam it to the floor it just dogs along until the rpms go up. When it is at highway speed it will down shift ok but it seems like it may be an electronic down shift like it is just pulling out of overdrive and because it never gets over about three grand when it downshifts, it has been doing this for about a month now. I am hoping I dont have to have it rebuilt again. Any Ideas on what might be wrong?
  • ramtruckerramtrucker Member Posts: 1
    My transmission on my 99 dodge 5.9 starts in drive(3rd), if I drop from nutral to 1st, then it starts in first and can shift up manually as high as third. fourth does not work(overdrive). My code reader says P0743. My mechanic says usually speed sensers are the real problem so I have replaced two but still got problem. Is this a problem a backyard mechanic can replace and how do I find info to do it myself????
  • dieselman5dieselman5 Member Posts: 1
    My '94 Dodge 2500 cummins turbo diesel has been in the shop for about a little over a week now. They have fixed all of the problems except for one: there is a problem with the electrical signal that is supposed to engage the overdrive system. They have been trying for days to figure out what could be the problem. I have spent hours trying to look up common electrical problems with this model. It has a 47 RH transmission and about 209,000 miles on it. They just rebuilt the tranny, but the problem still persists. They were mentioning something about the solenoid assembly. They now have the truck hooked up to a bunch of computers to try to figure out what is wrong with it.

Please, does anyone have any suggestions?

Dieselman5
  • adocarsadocars Member Posts: 3
    I think these two problems are related:
    1. OD engaged, if my speed falls below 55 and the rpm 1500, no amount of pedal will make the engine rev faster. I can disengage the OD, or let up on the pedal to coast for a second, then accelerate fine.

2. very infrequently, I can push the accelerator pedal and the engine revs, but the tramsmission acts as if in neutral.

Fluid, proper type, changed at correct intervals. 87k on odometer.
    I got an extended warrenty when purchased, should cover most anything to 100k, but I want to be well-informed before taking it to the dealer.
    Thanks in advance.
    WES
  • pyager1pyager1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I have a 98 quad cab 5.2L auto. OK. I start out fine,in drive, all is normal. after some time, like 15~45 minutes later I let off the gas and at any speed below 55mph it will down shift to 3rd then 10 sec later into 2nd! I can pull over shut it off, start back up it will still do it. BUT, if I pull over shut it off and unplug the connectors from the ECU plug it right back in and start out again, its fine. I changed the output speed sensor a few years ago(was happening then also) because of a code set in the computer. I checked it and the sensor WAS open. But a sensor did not help. No more codes set ever again! Also upshifting is delayed when this problem is happening.
    Please help. :sick:
    What you describe are all common symptoms of a stuck Throttle Position Cable.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • pyager1pyager1 Member Posts: 2
    I looked at the cable and it seems to move freely. Also, I am able to clear it up by unplugging the controller. I find if I can keep just the tiniest bit of pressure on the throttle it will not downshift on its own. But as soon as I let off it the rest of the way, bam, down one, bam, down again.
    Thank you for all your help.
    Hmmm.Well, the Throttle Valve in the transmission could be bound (or broken) in the full pressure position, despite the cable seeming to operate properly. There's a clip that holds the Throttle Valve Lever on to a shaft. I once saw an A727 where this clip fell off and cause the same problem.

But, this could also be caused by a number of other items. My first suspect is a stuck kickdown or manual valve in the valve body or other valve body defect, such as being clogged or leaking.

I would suggest having a Dodge transmission tech look at this unit.

Regards,
    Dusty
    Dusty, Was your #180 a response to this?

Added info...

I think these two problems are related:
    1. OD engaged, if my speed falls below 55 and the rpm 1500, no amount of pedal will make the engine rev faster. I can disengage the OD, or let up on the pedal to coast for a second, then accelerate fine.

2. very infrequently, I can push the accelerator pedal and the engine revs, but the tramsmission acts as if in neutral.

TOWING: no more than maybe 3000 lbs, generally I use the OD on unless there is a hill or situation that make the RPM fall below about 1800.

Fluid, proper type (+4), changed at correct intervals. 87k on odometer.
    I got an extended warrenty when purchased, should cover most anything to 100k, but I want to be well-informed before taking it to the dealer.
    Thanks in advance.
    WES
  • lenfwheatonlenfwheaton Member Posts: 3
    Hello, new here, on a 1996 ram 2500 4x4 cumins diesel the transmission wont shift into high gear. stop the truck restart and the transmission goes into high gear. Whats wrong? Thanks Len
    Actually, I was responding to post #181.

However, as I responded earlier, yes in your case the symptoms are consistent with a Throttle Position Valve or Cable problem.

Regards,
    Dusty
    How many miles are on this vehicle?

Has the transmission ever been repaired or rebuilt and at what mileage?

What is the transmission maintence history?

Regards,
    Dusty
    Dusty, thanks for the response, i don't have any history on the truck, it has 134,000 miles on it. Again thanks for responding, Len
  • eddie32eddie32 Member Posts: 1
    99 Dodge 3500 manual transmission stuck in second gear.
    Here is a list of potential and most likely causes:

*The O/D switch is in the off position (the O/D indicator on the instrument panel is open and not illuminating).

*The O/D circuit has a short.

*Throttle Position Sensor is defective.

*The Coolant and/or Distance Sensors or associated circuitry malfunction.

*Overdrive Solenoid malfunction.

*Low hydraulic pressure (low fluid, clogged transmission filter, partially restricted anti-drain back valve, partially clogged transmission lines).

*Dirty fluid/clogged valve body.

*Leaking shift solenoid.

*Overdrive piston failure.

*Loss of PCM software.

*PCM failure.

Good luck,
    Dusty
    Thanks Dusty
  • kseyksey Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2001 ram with a 46re trany I rebuild it put new pump torque spacer piston for od gov.solenoid temper .I have first rev.low it won't up shift please help
    #178 was the dreaded P0216 injector pump. On warrenty.
    I can see how its all related.
  • kseyksey Member Posts: 9
    just put a valve body in it and still no shift
  • rebelram87rebelram87 Member Posts: 5
    i have a 95 dodge ram 2500 cummins turbo diesel well i was driving it to work when i just about got there and i had decreased my acceleration for a speed zone i went to speed back up and it was like the truck was in neutral, well if i shut the truck off it would run for about 30 seconds to a minute just fine but then it would do the same thing and again if i shut it off and turned it back on it would run just fine for that brief period of time well i replaced the trans filter last week and it would run at high rpms but with no power and it has problems taking off but i was able to drive it home but it takes forever for it to get up speed and it has no power what so ever does anyone know whats wrong with it? please help
  • rebelram87rebelram87 Member Posts: 5
    today i dropped the pan again and drained the fluid and it had a bit more power but now its having problems shifting gears and it still is very low on power
  • morganoi41morganoi41 Member Posts: 4
    I just had to post this. I was getting fault signals re the injector pump, and in fooling around I cleaned what looked like already clean battery cables. A miracle... my trasmission which had always shifted terribly....caught between gears, could not tolerate a soft touch on the throttle, now shifts PERFECTLY.... It shifts like a honda...amazing! What happened???.... 2001 Dodge Diesel 2500 Cummings, 106,000 miles.
  • oscarcoscarc Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.9L V8 and the 46RE tranny, 69000 miles and 35" Tires. I changed the tranny oil and filter last week and I just did the transmission governor pressure solenoid and governor pressure sensor and oil again because its having a hard time shifting from 2 to 3rd (if those are the right gears) but before it shifts it drops about 300 RPM and then it shifts, I know its not right because It should be shifting at lower RPM without a load, but it will hold 2200 to 2400 RPM then drop the 300 RPM and then it shifts, but I usualy take my foot of the gas and then it will shift. Problems are around 30-50 MPH. I keep reading it might be the Torque Converver, but how do I make sure it is before I go dropping more $$$$ that I don't have on it? Also when I removed the pan there was almost nothing at the bottom of the pan and everything looked pretty clean.

Thanks in Advance
  • amend1amend1 Member Posts: 98
    Hello! I have a Dakota with the V8. I had the same problem with the RPM's going up and down at highway speeds with the CC on. It's the throttle position sensor. Replace it. The contacts on the cheap, stock TPS get dirty and start sending funky signals to the computer telling the torque converter to unlock. The stupid dealer didn't have a clue. I had to fix it myself.
    Bill
  • morganoi41morganoi41 Member Posts: 4
    I don't know if the throttle position sensor is the same on your Dakota as it was on my Ram Diesel, but disconnecting the battery and leaving the key on for a half an hour, then the instructions said, turn key off, reconnect, and turn key on, and slowly go down to the floor and slowly up. The sensor can apparently "learn". Good luck. I wish I could give you my reference, but I think I found it on this site somewhere. tom
  • dunkler_engeldunkler_engel Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problems, However I had just had the transmission rebuilt 5 months prior, I put at least 500 miles on my truck every weekend driving home so I put about 10-14 thousand on it before it went out. I was driving along doing 70 and it just wouldn't shift into 4th gear from 3rd, put it in nuetral and then back into drive and it didn't move at all. I took it back to the shop they rebuilt it at and made an adjustment to it and I got it back 2 days later it did the same thing you were talking about as far as slipping. I could drive it about 50 feet and then it would "slip" out of gear and wouldn't go. They said the Torque convertor was bad on it and caused the transmission pump to go, I paid them because I needed my truck to get back to post. Now its doing the same thing as you are talking about. The lacking power could be possible you need to tune the valves on the engine, your supposed to do it every 10 thousand miles. I don't always have the time to do it though, and I don't think its ever been done and I have 304K on the engine. Its also a 95 dodge 2500 cummings. If I myself find out anything else on it I will let you know. I tried calling my tranmission shop back and their number is no logner in service so I might have to rip it out myself and take it apart to fix whatever is wrong with it..... Headache....
  • jeff83jeff83 Member Posts: 2
    I am a huge Dodge truck lover and in my 97 4x4 I was having problems with the engine light coming on and the book said it was the tranny.(The truck has 150k on it)Before I could get it to a shop...I was cruising along and all of a sudden, the I lost every gear, I shut it off, start it up and go 50 yards, and nothing again. Of course Aamco told me $3,000 but they are #@%^&*'s, so I thought it odd I'd lose all gears instead of one or two..I am NO mechanic by the way. It's a 1500
  • jeff83jeff83 Member Posts: 2
    My 97 1500 4wd lost every gear. I pulled over and restarted it and it would go 50 feet and do it again. Aamco of course said I needed a new tranny but it was outrageous. I was told it was very odd that all gears went out and that it could be something else. There was no grinding, nothing, just no gear, not even reverse. Any suggestions?