Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Luxury Lounge

Comments

• Options
    anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    I`m also LOL at the couple of above posts Tony
  • Options
    hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    I will drive the 135i, but I also want to check out the Lexus HS 250h....a completely different drive! Practicality vs excitement.
  • Options
    lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    The 135i is so full of mischief it will get hpowders a ticket! How's that for feedback.

I thought that was a great line and was reminded of the moment I brought a MazdaSpeed6 home for so my wife could take a look. A 15 minute ride around the neighborhood was enough for her to determine that it "is a speeding ticket waiting to happen."
  • Options
    tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    You are indeed a funny guy, TM!! Another priceless post!

PS: I'll drive it! I'll drive it!

All in fun, Howard. And, as I've already said, I enjoy your posts as well!

I just noticed that you were having a little fun with Len regarding his good-looking (and ice-cold) New Jersey pool!!

I must say that I think you and I are very lucky to live in areas of this country that have some of the best weather... although here in California we don't get nearly as much rain as you, or as many nasty biting bugs... but, to be fair and balanced... we are a little heavy in the "fruits and nuts" department... LOL. :D

TM
  • Options
    Well, I'm glad Tony got a kick out of our little exchange.

Still chuckling over the "size 14 feet".

Florida does have a distinct rainy season from June through October. I used to have season tickets to the TB Buccaneers football games, but had to give them up because of the heat and humidity. Much rather watch the games in air conditioned HD comfort, drinking a "cold one."

Florida is nice from about the middle of November to the middle of May. It is an acquired taste the rest of the year.

Well, having a beautiful pool is very nice, even if one can't use it the entire year. I did see that photo and he should be proud of it.

Yes, "fruits and nuts" sounds accurate. Spotted Arnold and Maria Shriver a few years back in Maui (Four Seasons). She was standing next to me in the hotel pool for a few minutes, but the Governator never got off his lounge chair and was surrounded by bodyguards.

I registered with Lexus to notify me when I can drive the HS 250h-probably late summer. I'm sure it will be one heck of an adjustment after 4 BMW's and yes, even the VW. Not buying. Just curious.

If Dewey is out there, CR did a money-saving comparison of hybrids a few months ago and the most economical one was not the Prius, but the Toyota Camry hybrid!
  • Options
    If Dewey is out there, CR did a money-saving comparison of hybrids a few months ago and the most economical one was not the Prius, but the Toyota Camry hybrid!

CR can say whatever they want. I never take anything they say all too seriously... in spite of the fact that they absolutely love the BMW 1-Series... LOL.

The Prius has no gas-only counterpart, as does the Camry, so it's all an impossible comparison. And, "most economical" should be measured by the Prius's intial price, superior fuel economy and incredible resale value. In those simple terms, it's cost-to-operate or cost-of-ownership is hard to match.

I want to drive the HS250h also... I am curious as hell about that car. And, I don't know why, but I have a strong affection for the 2010 Prius with the solar moonroof... so I will want to check it out one day when it becomes available.

However, if I had the extra $$$$, an electric Fisker Karma S Convertible would do nicely.

:)

TM
  • Options
    lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    One M3 guy went so far as to call Brembo, "the Bose of brakes". LOL!! Sounds like a bit of "sour grapes".

Brembo products do get a lot of hype, and some seem to be better than others, but I'm pretty sure they do know how to make proper brakes. Not quite the equivalent of bragging about "huge, lifelike sound!" from a $500 clock radio.
  • Options
    Rarely do 30-second spots interrupting a ballgame resonate with me -- particularly car commercials, which historically are among the least memorable.

The Genesis ad was mildly amusing, that's about as far as I'd go. Personally I found the Audi ad to be much more memorable and much funnier. An '80s BMW crashing into a billboard for mousse? Classic.
  • Options
    jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    It's not just us, Tony-Jose seems to be circling "las mujeres"-using their nice cars they are driving as an excuse!

LOL! Rightly so. Trying to refresh my mature pavo real feathers. :blush: But I must be careful with the looks my wife attracts when driving my car. :mad:

Regards,
    Jose
  • Options
    circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    TM, I wanted you to SELL the car rather than compel him not to buy it!! ;)

HP, I actually tested the 128 WITHOUT a SR and got to toss it around to my hearts desire. This, no doubt due to 2 facts: my daughters were with me and I left my 330xi at the dealer!

The 135i test was with my original SR and she MADE ME whip it's guts out! I was duly impressed with both!

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Agreed...I have 2 Waves and they are by far NOT the best sound around. Got one as a gift and one was suckered in.

Actually, I still have the 1996 speakers my brother built with high end components and they still sound great. For $600/cabinet back then, they still perform rather well in comparison with the new tech.

Anyway, Brembo remains a step up in brake performance that is quite competitive IMHO.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    CR gave the 135i an astonishingly high score of 97. When they reviewed the 328i, some months before, they only gave it 77 points.

I have no intention of driving the Prius, but the Lexus HS 250h also has me curious.

Wow! Nice wheels! :)
  • Options
    Funny! Hard to duplicate that pause from the commercial:

""Huge, lifelike sound............from a radio!" Wow! What won't Bose think of next?

The name "Brembro" is good enough for the likes of me; if the 135i has them, it's a definite plus. Quite a few reviewers mention the 135i's terrific brakes. Even CR rated the 135i's brakes "excellent" compared to the 328i's brakes as "very good".
  • Options
    I have their wave compact hi-fi system hooked up to my HD bedroom TV. The sound is "adequate" for a bedroom. But a "Brembo" hi fi system it surely isn't! :)
  • Options
    "But I must be careful with the looks my wife attracts when driving my car."

I like it when guys look at my wife-it makes me feel good!
    It's the guys who pull a gun on me and say "get away from the doll!!" who become a mild turn-off. ;)
  • Options
    I'm not interested in the 128i as it duplicates the engine I already have in my 328i. If I make a change, I expect real change! As Tony said, to sell the 328i I would take a significant depreciation hit-so the new vehicle should be worth the hit. :)
  • Options
    anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    How goes the new car? There is a black 4 somewhere down town as I have seen him several times....The lights don`t bother me as much as I use to think, and now have gotten use to them....

Mr H I just happened to be in the Audi showroom and sat in the a4 while waiting for the key battery to be changed....I meant to imply that it is really a lot bigger than it use to be, so much so that it feels almost as big as the 8...As you said that you didn`t want to take the depreciation hit unless it was worthwhile, I am with you on that line of thinking also, and a further one is the bmw 5 and A8 seats are both just wonderfully comfortable, so that will be right at the top of my list for when a new car comes into my life...Tony
  • Options
    deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    CR did a money-saving comparison of hybrids a few months ago and the most economical one was not the Prius, but the Toyota Camry hybrid!

The thing is the 3rd generation Prius is a far more superior car than the right now dated Camry hybrid. Interior space of the Prius is equivalentand the unsusable trunk space on the Camry is a deal breaker.
  • Options
    Ok, Ok Tag,

you're very persuasive.

After reading this post of yours I must say you're the only person who has succeeded in persuading me into getting a Honda Insight over the new Prius. ;)

THe LExus HS250?

No thanks!

IMO the most beautiful shape for a car is the wedge like shape of the Prius. Why?

This car was designed for less resistance. Its aerodynamic body design accomplishes the world's best coefficient of drag (Cd), thereby improving fuel efficiency.

In otherwords the Prius is a car engineered and designed with a overpowering purpose (minimum fuel consumption/minimu emissions)

Substance over fluff is what makes the Prius better than the HS. It's not designed to have nice looking wheels or to be a sedan to cater to North American tastes. The HS is heavier, the styling is not as aerodynamic, and the estimated fuel economy is a bit better than my 83 MB300D which happens to be much more roomier and bigger.

With a fully loaded Prius I cant imagine why anyone would want an HS? Because of Lexus services and prestige? Well I guess that is why the Lexus ES is their biggest seller.
  • Options
    Surely the Lexus female driver thought I was an idiot or else.

I felt like a idiot yesterday when I picked up my daughter from her school I noticed one of her classmates being picked up by her father with the newest generation Roll Royce. As I said hi to her classmate's father I was trying to click open my door with little success. My daughter said " hey daddy why are you trying to get into another person's car". Turned out I was so overwhelmed by that RR that I was in front of the wrong car (a red Toyota Corolla).

Why on earth would anyone choose to drive a RR? I guess that is a question most people would attribute to envy. But I honestly dont see the point.of such a car unless I was some chauffeur driven poltical dignitary
  • Options
    As long as you did your comprehensive research on the Prius and are aware of what's going on, fine.

Have you actually driven a Prius? I'm warning you, the Prius may be too much of a radical change for you!
    Can you get used to:
    1. Bulletproof reliability?
    2. Incredible gas mileage?
    3. Crazy, exciting, beautiful chicks clawing to get into the vehicle since it is the latest Hollywood "fruit and nut" symbol?

If you truly will miss the 335i sedan's 19 mpg on premium fuel, biweekly visits to the BMW service department for the latest and greatest fuel pump and where the service manager eagerly fills up the time you have to wait by talking to you about "what's wrong with the Leafs?" and finally, totally being ignored by beautiful models because they are already driving BMW 3 Series vehicles; then by all means, Dewey don't make the mistake of shopping the Prius. ;)

Regards,

Hpowders
  • Options
    Thanks for the warnings about the Prius. I will take note and test drive the Prius on a track under demanding conditions that only Schumacher himself would request. ;)

"what's wrong with the Leafs?"

A question that has never been fully answered for over four decades now and despite this never ending question the Toronot Maple Leafs has the highest NHL franchise value. Go figure?
  • Options
    Let this be a warning to those of you who tint your car windows (at least in Gainesville, FL): If you die in the back seat, it may be a while before you're found. A man from Gainesville, FL went missing on February 11 and was found this past Monday deceased in the back passenger-side seat of his 2001 BMW 330i. The car had apparently been parked illegally and was ticketed seven times – SEVEN TIMES! – before anyone noticed its owner sitting dead in the back seat.

link title
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,756
    BMW: "The Ultimate Final Resting Place!"

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    Why on earth would anyone choose to drive a RR? … I honestly dont see the point of such a car unless I was some chauffeur driven political dignitary

Some years ago I was boarding a ferry from France to England. Just in front of me there was a nice blue colored Cabrio Silver Shadow RR with top down. Two bad spots stained the poor thing. She had a flank badly smashed. She supported two up-nose young men, the driver and his friend. They were openly drinking from a bottle of champagne and behaving like they were: two rich infatuated marble-headed louts. Really I felt 'Spanish shame'… but for the car. She was in need of a good chauffeur! ;)

Regards,
    Jose
  • Options
    Always available for advice! ;)
  • Options
    Yup...sounds like Florida law enforcement! :surprise:
  • Options
    I have their wave compact hi-fi system hooked up to my HD bedroom TV. The sound is "adequate" for a bedroom. But a "Brembo" hi fi system it surely isn't!

The only radio I've heard that I would consider "Brembo" quality is the Meridian/Ferrari F80. It's ridiculously good for how small it is... but it's also $3K. Not an amount I would spend on a table radio.
  • Options
    and a further one is the bmw 5 and A8 seats are both just wonderfully comfortable, so that will be right at the top of my list for when a new car comes into my life...

Speaking of the A8, apparently Stephen Colbert is a big Audi fan. On Monday's show he mentioned that he wanted a Q7, and that being in an A8L is as close to heaven as he's gotten.
  • Options
    Yes. The pursuit of great sound is an expensive hobby. Last year a friend bought a pair of B&W speakers for $15k. After a few weeks of sonic bliss, his neighbors took up a petition against him, so his speakers have been transformed into expensive living room furniture! :sick:
  • Options
    The pursuit of great sound is an expensive hobby. Last year a friend bought a pair of B&W speakers for $15k. After a few weeks of sonic bliss, his neighbors took up a petition against him, so his speakers have been transformed into expensive living room furniture!

Indeed it is, my wife usually doesn't let me forget that. :) That's too bad about your friend, good speakers should never go to waste. I would suggest letting them go, and investing in a state-of-the-art headphone setup instead. A pair of Sennheiser's new HD-800s and a world class headamp like the RSA Apache will "only" cost around $3400, and should give the B&Ws a challenge, without bothering the neighbors.
  • Options
    bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    So you want a BMW X6 but do not want a 3.0TT engine.

If money is no object then get a X6 5.0i. I a m sure there are some really good discounted deals on such a vehicle.

I have no problems with the 3.0 twin turbo, but I've heard there are engine heating problems for the x6 i6 and not for the v8, not sure how true it is.

If money was no object, I would not have been so concern about reliability issues.

Btw, do you think the x6 v8 is a better car? I think its more heavier on the front,
    Will the i6 will also be more reliable for the long term.
  • Options
    Hello,

No I have no interest in the MDX or the FX.

I prefer Lexus.

Thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    This is why. From your post it looks as if you will be unhappy with the X6. You are not very complimentary about the X6 and to a lesser degree the X5. Have you driven the new generation RX yet? I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Also, the new RX is no longer so much a "lady's car". I know I would not feel uneasy driving the RX. I could not care less if some people think it is more of a "lady's car".

No, that's not true, I am very much interested in the x6, but its the problems that bothers me,

No, I have not tested the RX, but I will in the coming week,
  • Options
    Apparently, sitting high is more important to you than excellent handling. If that's the case, you'd probably be happier with the Lexus RX. BMW's reputation is based on its superb sedans & coupes - not on its SUVs, which are nothing special.

Are you sure you know what you're talking about?

The x5 and the x6 is are the best handling suvs out there.

I suspect that poor Dewey is the victim of bad luck. As others have noted, the 3 is a reliable car overall. My 330i is almost 8 years old & has been as trouble-free as most of our Japanese cars.

Believe me I've read a lot more troubles then only Mr.Deweys.

My wife drives a Lexus, so I know that Lexus cars are (1) very reliable & (2) rather boring. We'll visit our Lexus dealer tomorrow for a test drive, not because we're in the market for a new car - we're not - but because Lexus will send us a $75 gift card if we test drive something. If one is available, we'll drive a 2010 RX & I'll report our impressions.

I think I can live with the boring part, if its an exchange for the reliability I'll get.

Incidentally, Sanjay's suggestion that you consider an Acura MDX is an excellent one. If (God forbid) I had to buy an SUV, I'd pick that one.

Hahaha,You really hate suvs.
  • Options
    lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    I think I can live with the boring part, if its an exchange for the reliability I'll get.

If you just need reliable transportation and driving dynamics or performance are secondary, what is the draw to Lexus? Wouldn't an Avalon or Camry XLE (or Lucerne) provide the same experience for a lower cost, or is it the cachet of the Lexus?
  • Options
    Wouldn't an Avalon or Camry XLE (or Lucerne) provide the same experience for a lower cost, or is it the cachet of the Lexus?

Well, there's no high driving position there. I would think that a RAV4 would get the job done though, the V6 is more than fast enough, it should be plenty reliable, and probably a lot more entertaining than any RX.
  • Options
    Thanks! I will suggest that to him. $3400 is a drop in the bucket to him when it comes to audio.

His dream was to retire and move to Sarasota, Florida. Unfortunately for him, he chose a home in an exclusive community that bombards you with all sorts of rules and regulations. I think they fine you if your grass grows a half inch too high! :sick:

He came from a rent-controlled dirt-cheap Mitchell-Lama cooperative apartment in lower Manhattan that had, believe it or not, thick sound-proof walls! He could blast his music to his heart's content! No complaints; and he lived a short walk to Little Italy and Chinatown. He had his paradise and didn't recognize it.

I will definitely relay this valuable information! Thanks again! :)
  • Options
    jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    Are you sure you know what you're talking about?

The x5 and the x6 is are the best handling suvs out there.

Yes, I know what I'm talking about. I've owned BMW sedans for many years. (How many BMWs have you owned?) No SUV, no matter who makes it, will handle as well as a top-tier coupe or sedan. That's why those of us who value crisp, responsive handling will avoid SUVs.

If you don't need an SUV, why buy one? They're ugly, clumsy vehicles & they're no fun to drive. Someday, when you're married with children, you'll need an SUV. Wait until then to buy one.

About the BMW X6: where I live - a NYC suburb - BMWs are very popular. There are 4 BMW dealers within an hour's drive from my house. And yet I have seen exactly one X6 since it was introduced. I'm not surprised - it looks like a large cockroach that was left in a microwave onion for an extra 90 seconds. If the X6 isn't popular in my BMW-loving town, then it's a real failure. Wait a couple of years. You'll be able to buy a low-mileage trade-in for $10,000.00. It's Germany's answer to the Pontiac Aztek.

Hahaha,You really hate suvs.

Well, yes. That's because I enjoy driving.
  • Options
    ... looks like a large cockroach that was left in a microwave onion for an extra 90 seconds...

Huh? :surprise: Jim, when is the first time you saw that?

;)

TM
  • Options
    clemboclembo Member Posts: 253
    You should really decide what you want - great handling or great build quality, the BMW and Lexus are really polar opposites with the main similarity being that they are both lux SUV's.

Before you decide that the BMW has the best handling in it's class, you should check out some options. Many of us here have BMW's and it is widely understood that the X5 and X6 are not their best effort. The link below may give you another opinion.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison_test/crossovers_and_suvs/bmw_x5_v- s_acura_mdx_cadillac_srx_m_b_ml350_lexus_gx470_volvo_xc90_vw_touareg_land_rover_- lr3_comparison_test/(page)/1

It appears that you are set on an SUV, if not given the fact that you don't yet have a family to haul around you may want to consider other options while you can, the S5 may be appealing.
  • Options
    Well, there's no high driving position there. I would think that a RAV4 would get the job done though, the V6 is more than fast enough, it should be plenty reliable, and probably a lot more entertaining than any RX.

You been paying attention to my posts, you remembered about the high driving position.

Rav4 is faster and more fun then the RX? :confuse:
  • Options
    Yes, I know what I'm talking about. I've owned BMW sedans for many years. (How many BMWs have you owned?) No SUV, no matter who makes it, will handle as well as a top-tier coupe or sedan. That's why those of us who value crisp, responsive handling will avoid SUVs.

If you don't need an SUV, why buy one? They're ugly, clumsy vehicles & they're no fun to drive. Someday, when you're married with children, you'll need an SUV. Wait until then to buy one.

About the BMW X6: where I live - a NYC suburb - BMWs are very popular. There are 4 BMW dealers within an hour's drive from my house. And yet I have seen exactly one X6 since it was introduced. I'm not surprised - it looks like a large cockroach that was left in a microwave onion for an extra 90 seconds. If the X6 isn't popular in my BMW-loving town, then it's a real failure. Wait a couple of years. You'll be able to buy a low-mileage trade-in for $10,000.00. It's Germany's answer to the Pontiac Aztek.

----------------

No, I've never owned bmws, but the x6 does handle better than many other boxy suvs out there.

I've driven the Land Cruiser, LX570 and the X6, X6 feels the safest at high speeds and turns. Its just not like the other 2suvs

.I'm not surprised - it looks like a large cockroach that was left in a microwave onion for an extra 90 seconds

Yikes :sick:

I have no plans to marry for a long long time.
  • Options
    It appears that you are set on an SUV, if not given the fact that you don't yet have a family to haul around you may want to consider other options while you can, the S5 may be appealing.

Yes, I am set on getting an suv, S5 is a great looking car in everyway, but I prefer a 4door car.

If I'll go for a sedan, I'd rather get a simple Camry or Accord.
  • Options
    rockshocka1rockshocka1 Member Posts: 310
    Tony,

The S5 has been wonderful to date. Just crossed 1600 miles & have had a chance to open her up a bit, without getting into trouble. :blush: It's amazing how stable she is at illegal speeds. As I've pushed her harder through traffic circles, I have noticed the 'nose heavy' attribute I've read about, but it hasn't stifled the fun too much. The car just feels right for me, fits like a glove.

There is still an awful lot of staring & finger pointing going on out there that I've gotten used to. Guess she's still a rare sight in these parts, to include the A5. You mention the DRLs, the funny thing I've noticed is that they draw the most interest from kids with their parents. They point at the lights to their parents. It's like they may be getting excited that Christmas may be near. "Look Dad, he's got his X-mas lights on his car, how long until we open presents?"

On a sad note, one of our local 'Brown Bombers' took aim & made a direct hit on her while parked when I was having lunch this past weekend. I'd be the obsessed guy waaay back in the parking lot breaking out the water bottle & rags to get rid of the carnage. I'm sure the other patrons got a kick out of watching that. :mad:
  • Options
    IMO the most beautiful shape for a car is the wedge like shape of the Prius.

I don't know about most beautiful. Most intelligent or functional maybe, but beautiful???

I liken it to a hurricane house on the beach. Intelligently designed to minimize wind force & storm surge, but definitely not a looker. :P
  • Options
    Have you been in the Q5 yet? I thought I remembered you may have an interest in it. My wife has put it on her growing list of contenders, & we plan to go check it out soon, as it's apparently hit the dealer lot now.
  • Options
    OK I confess your Audi S5 is the most beautiful coupe today.

But historically during the mid 80s the Audi 5000 (Audi 100 in Europe) revolutionized auto design with its focus on aerodynamics and got the best sedan coefficient of drag in the industry. The focus of Audi back in those days was not good looks but "least resistance design".
  • Options
    Btw, do you think the x6 v8 is a better car? I think its more heavier on the front,
    Will the i6 will also be more reliable for the long term.

I dont know? My knowledge of BMW SUVs is not that good since overall I am not interested in SUVs. Like Jimbres I would recommend a 535xi Touring over any BMW SUV. My wife has a 2006 BMW 530xi touring and so far no major complaints.
  • Options
    New Prius propoganda that I just wanted to share among you luxury car buying folks ;)

My forthcoming Toyota "Ultimate Reliable Green Driving Machine" will get more bang for the buck than my BMW "Ultimate Driving Machine" (incredible when you consider the " bang for the buck measure" includes road test scores)

Consumer Reports magazine has rated the Toyota Prius Touring edition as the best value among more than 300 vehicles it tested,

The value ranking, assessing bang for the buck, is based on road-test scores, five-year owner-cost estimates and predicted reliability ratings.

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2009/02/27/car-consumer.html

Tomorrow I am test driving a Lexus RX350 (though I would end up buying a RX450h instead) and for a change I will report something that is at least related to the topic of this forum. :P