Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Luxury Lounge

Comments

• Options
    tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    I agree with you.

A lemon is generally plagued with an issue that can't be fixed, or just too many overwhelming issues. Often a lemon finds itself in the shop a great percentage of the time.

A recall is generally a good thing, IMO. Not usually too good for the manufacturer's reputation, although a voluntary recall can sometimes demonstrate a solid committment from the manufacturer to make sure everything is right about the vehicle being recalled.

The problem with this Toyota recall is that Toyota had sufficient information for YEARS, covering numerous models, yet they essentially did NOTHING about it. This is the kind of situation that stinks of corporate arrogance, and it looks bad for Toyota.

The less-critical Prius situation, regarding the vehicle's compromised braking under rough road conditions, is only a software fix, but the problem again is Toyota's arrogance. They were aware of the braking problem and recently implemented a fix into the Prius production sometime in January... but Toyota demonstrated little concern for those Prius owners who had already purchased a Prius with the previous software code... demonstrating more arrogance, a serious breach of ethics, and ultimately a betrayal to their customers.

It's one thing to fix a gas pedal and braking software, but it's another to fix a growing reputation of arrogance and customer betrayal. It is very fortunate for Toyota that they have had a terrific reputation for so many years... as it will buffer some of the backlash they would otherwise receive from a buying public. Ultimately, I think their sales will rebound once it is known that they have appropriately fixed the problems and a few more "apologies" are publicized from the head of Toyota... that is unless there are yet more snakes in the grass.

BTW, I test drove a Prius yesterday. Nice car, but no street performer, that's for sure. :)

TM
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    The problem with this Toyota recall is that Toyota had sufficient information for YEARS, covering numerous models, yet they essentially did NOTHING about it. This is the kind of situation that stinks of corporate arrogance, and it looks bad for Toyota.

Unfortunately, big business IS arrogant and let's face it, they are certainly not altruistic.
  • Options
    bornoborno Member Posts: 77
    A little skeptical of your situation. Obviously things can break here and there, that doesn't kill the benefits of owning. Although I agree, I'd lease new over buying new any day. I usually buy a year or two old,(certified) and keep it over 6-7 years. That's hard now given the great new technology that keeps coming in this newly competitive industry!.

So, I need a car asap; mine was totalled. Off duty cop turned into my line, no injuries, his fault. Got $7.5K for my 00 A6,2.7TQ,MT. Loved it. It was only worth 2.5K on trade cause of bad cats.

I'm between a 08 A6 4.2, it has sport suspension(a must), and is certified. Stickered around $64K, and asking $43K, a decent discount from sticker, actually saw two similar cars both with low 20K miles on them.

I am also a good lease candidate, though I've never leased B4. (low annual miles, business write off, take car of my cars, like newest tech toys) So my two questions:

Lease new, and have a decision to make in 39 month or buy used and keep long term?
    If I leased new I'd go with the 3.0T, maybe chip it after the lease if I buy it out, or the used 4.2?, great natural engine pretty good discounts on cars, but older tech

HELP.......thanks in advance for ideas suggestions or comments
    Still love the cayenne gts.stick, but have finally come to my senses...lol
  • Options
    anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    edited July 2009
    Well don`t think it to death....Get the one that catches your imagination......I on the other hand have thought my personal situation `to death` so am not doing anything :) You on the other hand need to do something NOW Tony
  • Options
    lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    If I leased new I'd go with the 3.0T, maybe chip it after the lease if I buy it out, or the used 4.2?, great natural engine pretty good discounts on cars, but older tech

If you are considering the CPO route, I would suggest an '07, rather than an '08. The 4.2 engine was updated with FSI for '07 and was bumped up to 350hp, and the '07s can be retrofitted with the Audi Music Interface system. There are a couple of '07 V8 S-lines in my area for around $35K with around 20-28K miles on them. The S-line exterior treatment became standard for '08, that was basically the only change.

If you're willing to spend $43K, why not get an S6? There are actually more certified S6es around here than there are V8s.
  • Options
    thanks tony, i definitely hear you!

I have/would consider an S6, but the maintenance scares me, and I already have an M3 conv, for a toy. the 08s have the sport suspension available, and the used ones I'm looking at have it. Unfortunately, one is half way across the country, and the other is all the wa across the country.

Any one have experience buying a car long distance? Both are from audi dealers and are certified, that still doesn't guarantee anything. Do I hire a local third party to inspect it?, do I fly out to check it?

One says the car was registered by the dealer and used by a manager, and an occasional high-end loaner, the other dealer got it at auction.

I'm usually not scared of used cars, but this long distance thing is new for me.
  • Options
    FINALLY, after a looooong search, I think I found her!
    Thanks for all the help!!!

'07 Audi S6 with 34K, three year old, certified with audi care, has brand new set of winter snows and rims, white with black interior, with carbon fiber inlays, tech pkg., and warm package(rare, it replaces the glass moonroof with solar panels that operate fans to change the air in the car when its parked.

the only options it doesn't have are adaptive cruise(regular cruise will b ok, wont use it much any way), driver side leather dash(nice but oh well), and the silver optioned head liner(this I'd like and may look into), also will need the i pod interface installed(expensive, any ideas?, hear $1k, from one dealer, $2K from another, but i will get it factory oem.

Car was sold and serviced buy selling dealer, who also capped my shipping costs at $500. 25 year audi salesman, previous owner trade it and an older porsche for a new S5 cab, my other dream car. Also getting 1.9% from audi for 24 months!

Pretty psyched!, will give price details later, may purchase the cpo audi care which covers additional 2 services. Any other ideas?? This is a beast of a car!

lexusguy was right, more S6s than 4.2, and only $1-2K more than the '08 4.2!

THANK U!
  • Options
    Pretty psyched!, will give price details later, may purchase the cpo audi care which covers additional 2 services. Any other ideas?? This is a beast of a car!

$1K is not a bad price for an AMI retrofit, from what I've heard it usually costs around $1500 or so to have it installed. The S6 is indeed a beast. The 4.2 V8 really doesn't feel all that fast, but the V10 is a completely different animal. 60mph arrives in 5 seconds flat, which is quicker than my old supercharged XKR.
  • Options
    Nothing more fun than a quick decision :) Tony
  • Options
    lol, quicK?, more like a year coming.
    had an off duty cop not hit me, it would have been another year.

Anyway, ami, whATEVER THE COST, WILL BE NECESSARY!

the rest is all good,now that I'm all in, can't wait to complete it.

Anybody think that I should still get a 3rd party inspection of the vehicle before shipping?
  • Options
    You did say you have the extended service deal?from an Audi dealer??and I would gather that the warranty would be good at any Audi dealer?? If not then think again :)

You will enjoy the solar paneled roof.....It is one of the features you grow to appreciate all the time.....I hope all works out for you Tony
  • Options
    Sorry, I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but what do you all think? Still considering the 08 A6, instead of 07 S6, about the same money, but S6 is three years used with 34K, and 08 is 1 year used with 13K. This will probably get driven buy the wife 50-50, although she has no problem the M3 conv, stick.
    08 has ipod, lane assist, and 5 years warrantee left. 07 has the solar roof, 3 years warrantee. Dont' know why i'm second guessing, except, yes i'm a little cookoo. I guess it's a good back up plan, if anything. Same color ext/interiors.
  • Options
    circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    I'd still go for the A6 for you just because you are performance oriented. It will simply take driving both for a day each. You will know the answer at then end of Dy 2.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    Sorry, I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but what do you all think? Still considering the 08 A6, instead of 07 S6

The A6 4.2 Sport isn't a bad car. The S6 just cranks everything up a few more notches. The ride is firmer, the reflexes are sharper, the power is greater, the seats are sportier, and the fuel consumption is.. well a lot.

If you drive an A6 and your happy with the performance and handling, then maybe go with that. If on the other hand you think the car is maybe a bit slow and a bit doughy, the S6 is neither of those things.
  • Options
    circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    edited February 2010
    Audi is powering at the front of the pack as far as the Germans are concerned.

This hot coupe will feature a 450 horsepower 4.2-liter FSI V8 – capable of revving all the way to 8,250 with peak hp, and then on to a final redline of 8,500 rpms. Audi says this V8 is also good for 317 lb-ft of torque between 4,000 and 6,000 rpm. Power is distributed amongst all four wheels via a seven-speed S tronic transmission and quattro all-wheel drive.

Audi did take the time to also point out that the RS5 features new quattro technology: the crown-gear differential. This new differential is a self-locking center differential that Audi says is lightweight and maintains a high efficiency ratio. The front to rear power ratio can be shifted as extreme at 70 percent upfront, or 85 percent out back – depending on where the power is needed. Under normal conditions, the RS5 enjoys a 40:60 front to rear split.

2011 RS5

Beauty!

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    I tell you, Audi might not be at the top of the reliability chart but those front/rear ends and interiors are just absolutely fabulous! I could drool at the site of them!
  • Options
    Very Nice---thanks.....Reading some of the comments, I saw a DrFill...I think he use to post here...Maybe we`l hear from him again...He had something to say :) Tony
  • Options
    Sorry to drive you all crazy, imagine how I feel.
    I've decided to forgo the S6, after all I have my toy already.
    Looks like it'll be an 07 acura mdx, with sport.
    I'll keep $15K in my pocket, and get a versatile family vehicle.
    It makes sense given my that my son will have his liscence in 15 months.
    Also, we have a summer camp in Nh, and I'm tired of the van trips back and forth, to have a vehicle that handles bikes/kayaks etc. Has over a 100K miles, so far.
    So, I've found a couple, may make deal tomorrow low 40K miles for $31Kish.
    Loaded with sport, tech even rear ent. Gonna be Grey with light grey int., sharp.

Obviously, I'll be driven the M3 more and more! Not so bad.
    Maybe holding out a year or so for a bmw 550xi with a stick, or who knows.
    The audi RS5 conv., now thats a ride!

So thanks for ALL the patience, stayed tuned for the next crazy idea.
    Kidding, rental running out as well as my interest in finding the perfect vehicle.
  • Options
    bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    Is this really the new Porsche Cayenne?

link title
  • Options
    Found another video!

link title
  • Options
    Well my wife`s bmw sports wagon, has had it`s first out of warranty glitch..The passenger seat bag is broken, and they say it is a electrical module, for one thousand four hundred dollars....Seems strange and expensive imo, so I suggested not to fix it until bmw had a chance to re consider this ....She had the leek in the sunroof and that produced many many thousands of dollars in warrantied repairs, so I don`t think she is so high on bmw now...but nor does she have any thing special that she want`t in place of it.....She does like the 3 convertable, so we`l see what comes next....Tony
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    To me it seems like they just grafted the Panamera's nose on the current one. The rear end looks like a Toyota, or a Volkswagen. Still not doin' it for me. The interior is definitely an improvement, I will give them that, but it still pales a bit compared to the Range Rover.
  • Options
    Im still shocked at what they did to the rear, looks like a hyundai.

I was expecting something better.
  • Options
    May I suggest why not get something cheaper, or even newer by getting out of the luxury segment for a while.

When ur in a good position, things get sorted out, u can always sell ur non luxury car easily, not lose much money and get a luxury car in the near future?
  • Options
    Hey, not a bad idea, just not in my persona to drive a non-luxury.

So, its between an 07 MDX with 42K, for $31.5, most selling for mid 30s.
    Has everything, and would fit nicely into family's big picture.
    Found a couple, locally, wife liked.

Or, the 07 A6, 4.2 with sport with 44K, for $36, certified.
    Every one is telling me, I should replace what I lost, but I think I'd rather wait.
    I'm really on the fence between suv and sedan, since wife's sienna has 103K on it.
    I know it'll go to 200K, and wife want to keep it a while. But it's getting boring!
    And with son coming in to the picture soon, seems I'm leaning 51-49 to the suv.
    Also, could use it at camp,(bikes/kayaks, although sienna still works for same purpose, what about the Q7, craziness continues!!

Have definitely thought about leasing the accord crosstour(awd).
    Thought about putting snow tires/rims on my M3, for a little while.

Wife will drive whatever I get, while I'm driving M3, and sharing it with kids next summer.

So, rental runs out monday, could get monthly rate to bridge winter gap.
    Then drive M3 full time. Too many choices/senerios!
  • Options
    tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    edited February 2010
    Hey, not a bad idea, just not in my persona to drive a non-luxury.

So, its between an 07 MDX...

Have definitely thought about leasing the accord crosstour(awd).

You completely contradicted yourself in both regards. Most (non-Honda) folks in the luxury segment think Acura's inclusion as a luxury marque is tenuous at best. And then you went even further down (in a sense) to consider the Crosstour?? :confuse: If you're considering either of those vehicles, why not consider pretty much anything else?

Good luck!
  • Options
    sanjaysdcasanjaysdca Member Posts: 269
    edited February 2010
    Borno,
    I went through what you are going through in early 2008.
    I was debating between a "people mover" & a nice car.
    Test drove everything that I can possibly buy in 40 to 50K....from Maxima/Genesis to Jag XF.

In the end the need for seven seater prevailed and me not willing to buy a Van ended up with a 2008 MDX...an excellent vehicle I must add

So a year and a half later here are my impressions
    MDX is an excellent vehicle and drives extremely well FOR ITS SIZE.
    Acura is NOT LUXURY
    I would probably buy an MDX again if the same conditions/situation/constraints are in front of me

However if I was in your shoes, with a people mover sienna already in the stable , I would not buy MDX.

Instead I would buy an 2010/2011 Infiniti M35. There is almost 11K incentive on the outgoing model. In SoCal new M35 with tech package can be had for 38K. (carsdirect.com in zip 90501) I would drive that for 2 to 3 years and then see what else is available.

consider this
    1) M35's are heavily discounted/subsidized by Infiniti.... the $$ hit to resale will be not very high
    2) Highly rated by consumer reports-hence will be easier to sell in few years (I personally do not believe in CR)
    3) Is available in AWD if you so desire and a much better option than cross tour
    4) Last model year - most of the bugs are ironed out.... and that is the ONE reason I would be hesitant in getting 2007 MDX. Its a first model year for 2nd gen MDX

In the end you buy a car not a DEAL... and what ever floats your boat.

These are just few thoughts for you to consider.

Sanjay
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    consider this
    1) M35's are heavily discounted/subsidized by Infiniti.... the $$ hit to resale will be not very high
    2) Highly rated by consumer reports-hence will be easier to sell in few years (I personally do not believe in CR)

The Infiniti M is a good bang for your buck and trouble-free. That being said, after owning one, consider the noisy engine, busy ride, poor wearing tires and so-so gas mileage. With the changes in the 2011's seemingly making them better in every way and current deals being offered, the 2010's resale will be in the tanks as sanjay alluded to.
  • Options
    Good points by both, but I'm all in. Not too worried about resale cause I like to keep cars a loooong time. And I'll get back to a sedan when the sienna goes. If not, I'll drive the sienna as a winter/carpool filler only. In the end, the suv won out for price/value reasons. When I saw it today, found it to already have tow hitch, clear mask/bra, and an ipod connection wire. Not full control for ipod, but a way in. Also, spoke with acura dealer(friends is the owner, no similar cars as I found), said he could get me certified and an extended warrantee to go up to 7yrs/100,000 miles for under $2K, probably gonna pursue that. Car was absolutely mint! picking up Monday.

Funny, saw a new bmw wagon, white loaded, had me thinking about a utility car again. Last of the 5 wagons, big pano roof and could easily accomodate bike rack or kayaks. In the end, when the sienna goes, after being used as a trainer for both kids(13,15) I could see losing the M3 conv and van, for a S5 cab or something, S6 are pretty awesome!

Can't believe I;I'll be audiless for awhile, oh well. Getting a great car for great price! This will work well!
  • Options
    Oh yeah, Acura is definitely luxury, and high on reliability! So, wife and/or son will be very happy with this for long term. Me, short term will work very well as well. I have driven the M45X, decent car for the money, but not for me. First, I prefer a manual transmission, and it'll be a german built vehicle> Would even consider european delivery.

Have really been through a lot, as you all can tell, this works.
    I wanted the right car for the right price, here goes!!

Thanks all
  • Options
    Have really been through a lot, as you all can tell, this works.
    I wanted the right car for the right price, here goes!!

Enjoy. The MDX is not for me, but the owners around here generally seem to like it quite a bit. I find it surprising that Lexus and Infiniti are still pretty much choosing not to compete directly with the MDX. The GX sells ok I guess, but who buys a QX56?
  • Options
    clemboclembo Member Posts: 253
    The MDX is great for what it is. I have one with the Sport package and it is a very capable vehicle. I do not use it for real driving fun, although it performs as well or better than anything in it's class. It is used mostly to transport two dogs around and to run errands by my wife. I have other cars that fit my desires for driving excitement - if you have a similar perspective, the MDX will be a great fit.
  • Options
    smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    I know, I had the same thoughts when I was getting my FX35 a couple years ago and was looking up at the behemoth QX56! it was like looking up a mountain :P

the thing is ridiculously huge!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The MDX is great for what it is.

Most definitely. Well said.

Our '06 is still an amazing workhorse. We have tortured the thing for over 85K miles so far, and it looks and runs like new. I am often amazed at how versatile the MDX really is.

And, that's the point... we bought it for "what it is"... and from that perspective, it's been nothing short of terrific.

I have other cars that fit my desires for driving excitement - if you have a similar perspective, the MDX will be a great fit.

Seems you and I have similar views and somewhat similar vehicles. You still driving that beautiful 335i convertible? I'm still loving my 135i convertible, but recently I've been spending more time in the Jaguar XJ Vanden Plas... I took it for a nice drive from Malibu to Santa Barbara a few weeks ago, and it was such a delight, it somehow rekindled my affection for that beautiful car all over again... LOL. :blush:

How have you been lately?

TM
  • Options
    clemboclembo Member Posts: 253
    Tag - thanks for the note, I hope you're doing well. I do still have the 335 cab, I'm sure that it drives very closely to your 135. The engines in these cars are wonderful, I hope they last, although I only have about 12K miles on my car in two years. The 335 splits time with my Cayman S on the nice days when I want to give my commute an extra zoom, or on weekends when I just feel like going for a ride. My regular car in Boston is my A8, it will come off lease on Sept 30 this year, the plan is to replace it with a new one of the new style, I've seen the pictures and read a lot about it but I would like to see one in person before I order.

I'm down in Fla this weekend with my wife, this is where the MDX spends it's winters. It serves to haul my wife and dogs down here at Christmas, and it returns them north around the end of May each year. The other car I have here is a 2007 SL550 which I just purchased last August, I traded in a 2001 330 cab. The SL is really nice to drive, great tourque, solid power and great Benz feel, my wife loves it as she usually tools around in it by herself (or maybe with a younger guy when I'm up north).

So I can't complain from a car perspective, I know that I'm fortunate to have a few toys to enjoy. It is interesting to hear your thoughts on your Jag, I have been thinking about the new XJ instead of an A8 this fall, I don't know if Jag is offering AWD in that car yet?

I appears from past posts that your business is doing well, I hope that trend continues. Mine is doing well also, I think that economic challenges such as the one that we're all working through may ultimately be somewhat beneficial as it gives us all a good test to remember when things are going well.

I do read each post here, I travel a lot for work so sometimes I can't always respond but I do enjoy the regulars here. Maybe this spring we'll see a few of the old guys show up again. Best wishes. ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The new XJ? Sounds very nice. I was a bit lukewarm to the initial photos when I first saw them, but I've since been liking it more and more and more. Comparatively, the new XJ could be a real steal. Hopefully those first-year bugs aren't all too nasty, and I suspect there will be a few... but that's life.

Either way... a new Jag XJ or a new A8... you won't suffer too much.

I don't have a ton of miles on my twin-turbo either, but I recently replaced the notorious high-pressure fuel pump for the second time!

I honestly don't need both the 135i and the Jag. They admittedly serve different moods, but lately I've been thinking of selling one of them and getting a bit more practical I guess. We'll see.

I also hope we see some posts from a few of the old guys. Glad you are doing well!!! :)

TM
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Mercedes-Benz has confirmed that it will launch its first diesel-electric hybrid at the end of 2010 with the Mercedes-Benz E300 BlueTec Hybrid.

The Mercedes-Benz E300 BlueTec Hybrid will be powered by a 2.2L 4-cylinder twin-turbocharged diesel engine from the E250 CDI and will be capable of returning more than 56 mpg (47 mpg in U.S. terms). Reports say it will share many of its hybrid technology, including the lithium-ion batteries and electric-motor, with the S400 hHybrid.

Sales of the Mercedes-Benz E300 BlueTec Hybrid are scheduled to start in early 2011.

link title

It's about time.

And when it comes to cool diesel hybrids in the near future, I've also got my eye on VW... I think they've got some nice surprises up their sleeves.

TM
  • Options
    And when it comes to cool diesel hybrids in the near future, I've also got my eye on VW... I think they've got some nice surprises up their sleeves.

Indeed, VW has created a lot of interesting engine designs lately like the twin-charger, and I'm sure they won't let Daimler get away with having an exclusive diesel hybrid for long.

Surprisingly absent from all of this - Honda. Honda was a pioneer of new engine technology in the '70s and '80s, but now it seems like they can't get anything done. Sure they have some pie in the sky hydrogen stuff like the FCX, but apparently something as easy as direct injection is too tough for them. Not too tough for Hyundai though.

Honda had better get their act together. Hyundais are already better looking and they've got more efficient engines (and a V8). I don't think they have Honda's reputation for quality and reliability yet, but just ask Toyota what happens when you try to coast on your reputation.
  • Options
    Hows the Q5 been, u never mentioned much about it?

Any transmission problems>?
  • Options
    Hows the Q5 been, u never mentioned much about it?

Any transmission problems>?

I've only driven it a few times, but so far it's been perfect. According to True Delta, the '10 Q5s are very reliable.
  • Options
    reality2reality2 Member Posts: 303
    Audi returns to its NSU roots with a Wankel Engine. Audi seems to always pull a hat trick.

"The technology of the Audi A1 e-tron

The e-tron model family from Audi is just a few months old, but it already has a number of members, for each of which Audi has chosen a different drive technology. The first e-tron, which debuted at the 2009 IAA in Frankfurt/Main, is a near-series high-performance sports car with electric motors for all four wheels. The study shown at the Detroit Motor Show in 2010 is a lightweight, compact two-seater with two electric motors on the rear axle.

The A1 e-tron now presents another approach – a compact electric car in the premium class. The four-passenger, two-door MCV city car was designed specifically for use in the metropolitan areas of Europe and North America and in the rapidly growing megacities of Asia and South America. The Audi A1 e-tron always drives on electric power; its internal combustion engine is only used to recharge the battery in isolated cases.

The integration of the new technologies shows the holistic approach that Audi is pursuing with electric mobility. The objective is to use the energy with the lowest possible losses. The precise interaction of the components, their intelligent packaging, and the efficient management of the current flows are the product of the expertise that the company has developed in this area.

Audi has developed a proprietary thermal management system to keep the battery, the electric motor, and the power electronics within their respective ideal temperature windows.

Behind the three e-tron models is a broadly diverse and modular technology platform that continues to grow very rapidly as Audi drives development forward.

The electric motor: 75 kW (102 hp) peak power
    The synchronous electric motor of the Audi A1 e-tron is mounted transversely at the front of the car. Its low mounting position has a positive effect on the vehicle’s center of gravity. Continuous output is rated at 45 kW (61 hp), with peak power of 75 kW (102 hp) available in short bursts. 150 Nm (110.63 lb-ft) of torque is continuously available, and peak torque is 240 Nm (177.01 lb-ft).

The electric motor sends its power to the front wheels via a single-speed transmission. The elegant, retractable selector lever on the console of the center tunnel used to choose between “Drive,” “Reverse,” and “Neutral” was taken from the first Audi e-tron.

The power electronics are mounted in the engine compartment above the electric motor. The most important components are the pulse-controlled inverter, which serves as the controller between the electric motor and the battery; the DC converter, which connects the high-voltage network with the 14 volt electrical system; a breaker unit to protect the high-voltage components; and the charging module. The socket for the standard charging plug is located behind the rings in the single-frame grille of the Audi A1 e-tron. A fully depleted battery can be recharged in approximately three hours from the 380 volt grid. A display immediately adjacent to the plug-in connection shows the current charge status and the charging time remaining.

The concept of the innovative Mega City Vehicle requires the electrification of key auxiliaries. The refrigerant compressor of the climate control system, for example, is electrically powered by a high-voltage electric motor that supplies only the amount of power needed at the time.

This increases system efficiency substantially compared to conventional concepts. Thanks to a special circuit, the climate control loop also functions as a heat pump that regulates the temperature of the cabin and the battery.

The power steering of the Audi A1 e-tron is electro-mechanical and thus particularly energy-efficient. An electronic brake system makes it possible to tap into the recuperation potential of the electric motors. A hydraulic fixed-caliper brake is mounted on the front axle, with two novel electrically-actuated floating-caliper brakes mounted on the rear axle. These floating calipers are actuated not by any mechanical or hydraulic transfer elements, but rather by wire (“brake by wire”). In addition, this eliminates frictional losses due to residual slip when the brakes are not being applied. In addition, the servo unit received a new, demand-controlled electric vacuum pump.

The large electric motor powering the A1 e-tron can convert braking energy into electric current and feed it back into the electrical system. The high degree of recuperation benefits overall efficiency. The electric control actions are imperceptible to the driver, who notices only the familiar, precise, and perfectly controllable pedal feel.

The battery pack: a compact T arranged below the floor
    The energy storage unit is arranged below the floor, where it is ideal for the center of gravity and weight distribution. The battery pack is shaped like a T, with the short “transverse beam” filling the rear section of the center tunnel and the “cross-beam” filling that area in front of the rear axle where the fuel tank is otherwise located. The 380 volt lithium-ion rechargeable battery has a nominal energy content of 12 kilowatt hours. It comprises 96 prismatic cells and weighs less than 150 kilograms (330.69 lb).

The Audi A1 e-tron can drive 50 kilometers (31.07 miles) emission-free in city traffic on the powerful battery. On longer trips, the battery is recharged by a particularly compact internal combustion engine mounted below the luggage compartment.

The range extender
    The A1 e-tron concept car has a Wankel engine as a range extender, but other compact concepts are also possible. The small single-rotor Wankel has a chamber volume of 254 cc and runs at a constant 5,000 rpm in its peak efficiency window. The electronics also consider navigation data such as the destination and route profile to automatically activate the range extender as needed. The driver can also turn the range extender on and off as necessary with the push of a button The fuel tank holds 12 liters (3.17 US gallons).

The great strengths of the Wankel engine are the nearly vibration-free and quiet operation, the small dimensions, and the extremely low weight. Together with the generator, which is powered by the Wankel engine and produces 15 kW of electric power, the complete assembly weighs only around 70 kilograms (154.32 lb). This weight also includes the special power electronics, the intake, exhaust, and cooling unit, plus the insulation and the subframe.

Driving experience
    The first defining impression that the driver of the Audi A1 e-tron gets is that of nearly total silence. Even the Wankel engine in the back can barely be heard when it is running.

The second characteristic perception is the power of the electric motor, nearly all of which is available instantly and thrusts the Audi A1 e-tron forward with authority. The innovative Mega City Vehicle, which despite its comple
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Audi returns to its NSU roots with a Wankel Engine. Audi seems to always pull a hat trick.

Very interesting, indeed. But in spite of the inherent advantages of the Wankel engine that were pointed out, I've never known of a Wankel engine to be very fuel efficient. In fact, up to now, they inherently tend to be thirsty. Does Audi know something about the Wankel engine that no one has known before? Or are they essentially using it for the specific positive attributes that were mentioned?

TM
  • Options
    gfr1gfr1 Member Posts: 55
    TM -- I couldn't find any reference as to if-&-when they might make the E-model diesel hybrid available in the U.S. Have you seen anything on that? Your link seems to apply to Europe. -- gfr1
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Great question gfr1.... I did a little poking around, and found that Mercedes is currently stating that market availability isn't official yet... so we both know what that probably means... Europe, like you suggested. Darn. :(

TM
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    years, if not decades, to solve the seal wear issues inherent in the Wankel engine. With today's emission situation, the oil consumption that comes with the lubrication system is probably much less acceptable than it was 10-20 years ago.

Either way, interesting.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options

Either way, interesting.

Indeed. Some companies are talking about using turbine engines as well, which is another tech that most abandoned 50 years ago. I think we're going to see a lot of supposedly dead ideas come back, although probably not those nuclear powered concept cars from the '50s :shades:
  • Options
    james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    Constant rpm may help in the design of the seals.
  • Options
    tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    I've only driven it a few times, but so far it's been perfect. According to True Delta, the '10 Q5s are very reliable.

Wow, they must have a lot of historical data on that. :surprise:
  • Options
    Wow, they must have a lot of historical data on that

They've got a sample size of 28 cars, with an average of 5500 miles on them. The overall repair rate is about the same as a new Accord, which is a pretty good showing for a new model from a German luxury brand. The repair rate for the 2010 GLK is more than 2X higher.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I wouldn't expect the new Q5 to have serious reliability issues, but it's simply too early to really acquire a statistically viable reliability record for the new Audi Q5. More time and a larger sample of vehicles will give us a much more thorough indication. That's not to say that it would ever matter too much to me, unless it was plagued with issues, which it is not.

But, the data you have provided sure does paint a nice picture for a vehicle just coming out of the gate.

TM