Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Luxury Lounge

Comments

• Options
    rockshocka1rockshocka1 Member Posts: 310
    Sorry to hear about the 135i. Should it become expendable and leave a bitter taste in your mouth, I'd suggest giving the S5 Cab a looksie, unless you need 4 doors. Especially given your affection for verts!

Just had the 15k service on my S5 Coupe & not a hint of any problems other than 'as designed' quirks to me. Of course, I've got the 4.2 & not the supercharged engine. It'll be interesting to see if the supercharged Audi engine over time experiences problems like the TT from BMW. Something to keep an eye on.

The dealer had a beautiful black S4 on the lot when I was there, but I'll be darned if I can figure out why Audi badged the quarter panels with 3.0 V6 T. I don't mind the V8 badge on my car because it's small, but the former is almost a sentence & misleading with the T. :confuse:
  • Options
    circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Saw this FYI.

N54 Engine HPFP TSB

Also, the affected vehicles may experience an extended engine starting time ("long crank") or reduced engine performance ("engine failsafe mode") when the High Pressure Fuel Pump malfunctions.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    but I'll be darned if I can figure out why Audi badged the quarter panels with 3.0 V6 T. I don't mind the V8 badge on my car because it's small, but the former is almost a sentence & misleading with the T

Yeah I'm not quite sure I get that one either. V8, V10, and especially V12 side badges are understandable because it's supposed to be a sort of "impress your friends" thing. Mercedes sticks "V12" on everything if you opt for a 600 or 65. "V6 T" though doesn't quite have that same effect, especially when the regular A6 uses basically the same engine.
  • Options
    tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    The MR2 Sports Hybrid Concept utlizes a combination of a 3.3-liter V6, used to drive the rear wheels through a continuously variable transmission (CVT), and an electric motor for the front wheels. Total output for the hybrid system is around 400 horsepower, and the concept has an estimated zero-to-60 time under 4.5 seconds.

Sweet. But gotta wonder if they'll ever really build it. I couldn't help but notice that it would weigh about 600 pounds more than the original MR2.

TM
  • Options
    I'd suggest giving the S5 Cab a looksie, unless you need 4 doors.

The S5 Cab would be an awesome purchase, no doubt about it. Frankly, I'm just not focused on purchasing anything of that nature for a while. I may be following in Dewey's footsteps... getting something simple for a while, and then once I can't stand it anymore, I'll breakdown and finally get something cool again. ;)

In the meantime, once my 135i is up and running again, it's most likely that I will simply go back to being very happy with it.

TM
  • Options
    Also, the affected vehicles may experience an extended engine starting time ("long crank") or reduced engine performance ("engine failsafe mode") when the High Pressure Fuel Pump malfunctions.

Thanks for that link. Now I remember receiving that "letter" from BMW... the one that apologizes for the fuel pump failure and extends the warranty on the replacement pump for up to 10 years.

The interesting thing is that the information suggests that the new fuel pump replacement is supposedly better, but I have already received that replacement... so if this current problem is due to the fuel pump again, then that would mean that the "improved" replacment pump isn't actually any better than the original one... at least not the one they put in my car at the last repair.

Hmmm... we'll see.

TM
  • Options
    AND... an all-new N55 3.0L engine with a single twin-scroll turbocharger... 300 hp (probably more like 322 hp) & 300 lbs. torque (probably more like 332 ft. lbs.) available from a very low 1200 rpm.

The scoop... and more pics... link title... and also... link title

My opinion? My first impression is that BMW is trying to fire back but has probably lost the throne to Audi.

And what about the 4-door?

BTW, the 2011 135i will also get this N55 engine as well as an option for a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic.

TM
  • Options
    My opinion? My first impression is that BMW is trying to fire back but has probably lost the throne to Audi.

What makes you say that?
  • Options
    What makes you say that?

S4 ;)

edit: If Manning and the Colts can bottle what they did tonight, I don't think any other team could beat them.

TM
  • Options
    Agree..Audi has pulled away BMW in this segment mainly due to the styling.

Automobile mag:

These two cars are standouts in their ability to blend size and comfort, power and efficiency, fun and practicality. Of course, performance lies at the heart of their appeal, and in this arena, it's essentially a dead heat. Maybe our findings would have been different on a racetrack, but on the most challenging public roads we could find, Audi scored a remarkable achievement with the S4, as its engineers have finally been able to get their all-wheel-drive sedan to handle as well as the benchmark BMW.

Nonetheless, it's hard to vote down the 3-series when it has, in our judgment at least, superior steering, a slightly more pleasant gearbox, and a bit more soulful engine note. For those who focus purely on driving dynamics, it's unassailable. But the S4 is its equal in objective measure and its near equal in the subjective ones - unless we're talking about the subjective arena of styling, both interior and exterior, in which case the Audi is not only fresher and more dramatic but more distinctly sporty. And comparably equipped, it's also less expensive. At that point, we suspect that for a lot of people, the BMW's finer bits of subjective superiority begin to wear away. ...

335 v. S4

(Of course, this particular review was the 2009 335i so BMW has the next move.)

As far as performance, steering feel goes to BMW, handling - Audi, braking - BMW, 1/4 mile time - BMW by a rat's hair. Pretty damn even but for the styling.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    I noticed that you edited your post.

At this point it would seem that the performance is by all practical purposes a dead heat, but that is to be determined over a little more time and testing. IMO, although still good-looking, the BMW is getting long in the tooth in terms of styling. In addition, the Audi is all-wheel drive and has the better interior as well as fresher exterior styling, not to mention a better price. Unless the 2011 BMW N55 engine proves itself to decisively beat out the Audi on the track, I'm still initially inclined to give the nod to the Audi.

Bottom line... if you were about to choose and write a check for only one of them, wouldn't it be the Audi?

TM
  • Options
    Bottom line... if you were about to choose and write a check for only one of them, wouldn't it be the Audi?

Exactly. Just the fact that I favor AWD and that Audi really did something, better said by the Automoble article:

The revelation was how similarly the S4 handled. We hammered down lumpy, narrow New York two-lanes with quick curves, sudden dips, and sharp crests. Through it all, the Audi reacted just as quickly, and it carved corners every bit as enthusiastically, as the 335i. We could even feel the push from the rear as we powered out of tight turns. Credit the combination of the slightly lighter front end (although the front wheels still carry 55 percent of the car's weight) and the Quattro all-wheel-drive system's 60 percent rear-biased torque split. Interestingly, our car did not have the S4's new torque-vectoring rear axle - which is included in the Drive Select package ($3950) or available as a stand-alone option ($1100) - but given what we experienced, its absence hardly seemed to be a handicap.

That's enough for me right there along with already experiencing the BMW styling and the significant upgrade I consider that Audi has demonstrated. It's amazing to me BMW has finally been bested in this class of fine cars.

Given the weather conditions here in the NE, it's an easy decision afaic. If I lived in CA, I'd make the same one with a DT!

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    Unless the 2011 BMW N55 engine proves itself to decisively beat out the Audi on the track, I'm still initially inclined to give the nod to the Audi.

Actually I think BMW is going to do a 335is version of the sedan. That's pretty much what I expected as soon as they announced the new Z4 35is not to long ago. The extra 20 some horsepower isn't going to make the difference on a race track though, considering the 335i is slower around a track than the old, nose heavy V8 S4.
  • Options
    Interestingly, our car did not have the S4's new torque-vectoring rear axle - which is included in the Drive Select package ($3950) or available as a stand-alone option ($1100) - but given what we experienced, its absence hardly seemed to be a handicap.

I've been absolutely astonished that so many of Audi's press cars haven't had QuattroSport. Are they trying to shoot themselves in the foot? From what I've read its the active rear diff that makes the car, and it's significantly handicapped without it.
  • Options
    jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    Actually I think BMW is going to do a 335is

I've read it too in a couple of Spanish publications. 335is would be done only in cabrio and coupe versions; and have 322 CV, 500 Nm, 3.0 L, direct injection, twin turbo, new BMW gearbox (7 gears, double clutch), additional water refrigeration system and no foglamps for better engine ventilation. The engine would be based on the new Z4 one. This information seems to be leaked from BMW Canada.

Regards,
    Jose
  • Options
    I've been absolutely astonished that so many of Audi's press cars haven't had QuattroSport.

Can't wait for the tests when they finally come available!

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    Here is a spy shot from the back view:

I like the change.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    I am convinced that Audi is missing the boat here... in a very big way. The A1 would be a hot little number over here, and I would love to see them bring it here.

Thoughts?

TM
  • Options
    blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    "What color combination is yours?"

It's a Monterey blue/Gray int. I wanted this color on the old S4 Cab but couldn't locate one. I freaggin love it!!

Yep, the A8 is said to not disappoint the Audi fanatics like us. And of course it will be brimming with technology and MMI-4. i saw it at Detroit and was thouroughly impressed!
  • Options
    blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    You're so right!! The A1 would be a great addition to the line. It would give buyers more to choose from than just the A3. But I wouldn't count it out because Audi is one of the more rogue brands.
  • Options
    I am convinced that Audi is missing the boat here... in a very big way. The A1 would be a hot little number over here, and I would love to see them bring it here.

Thoughts?

Both Audi and Mercedes have been envious of BMW's success with the Mini. The A-class is just too euro-hatch for this market and would likely suffer the same fate as BMW's 318ti. The A1 on the other hand I think could work, but everything would depend on marketing.
  • Options
    Both Audi and Mercedes have been envious of BMW's success with the Mini. The A-class is just too euro-hatch for this market and would likely suffer the same fate as BMW's 318ti. The A1 on the other hand I think could work, but everything would depend on marketing.

It would be a very serious competitor against Mini, and other hot hatches.

With appropriate marketing, I would expect it to have cult status in short order. Frankly, I am surprised and disappointed that Audi doesn't see (or understand) the enormous potential. Our market is as ripe as it could ever be for the A1.

TM
  • Options
    Officials have temporarily closed the Detroit Auto Show following what is being called a “small electrical fire” in the Audi booth. Show goers were evacuated from the show floor shortly after the fire began with the show slated to reopen at 5pm.

Car enthusiast will also be happy to learn that no cars were damaged in the blaze. The fire actually started directly above a $175,000 Audi R8 Spyder, but the automaker’s show employees acted quickly and moved the car out of harm’s way.

Show attendees not willing to wait around until the show reopens at 5pm will be given a voucher to attend the show on one of its remaining days.

Fire breaks out on Detroit show floor
    01/21/2010, 4:06 PM

Perhaps BMW and Merc are chuckling right about now!

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    Perhaps BMW and Merc are chuckling right about now!

The R8 Spyder is such a HOT car, it actually caught the display on fire... or... Sabotage! :P
  • Options
    reality2reality2 Member Posts: 303
    The R8 Spyder is such a HOT car, it actually caught the display on fire... or... Sabotage

I guess BMW and Merc will do anything to stop the R8, must be desperate times at BMW and Merc getting regularly [non-permissible content removed] slapped by Audi these days.
  • Options
    skarieskarie Member Posts: 78
    Frist Drive 335is
    Click to view GalleryAs we've been blathering on for weeks about the wonders of BMW's spanking-new 3.0-liter N55 engine (it traded one of its turbos for Valvetronic and came out ahead on responsiveness and fuel consumption while breaking even in horsepower and torque), the Roundel gang has been readying a sportier new 335is model powered by, what? The old twin-turbo? Tweaked to spool out an extra 20 horses and 32 pound-feet (make that, 70 extra pound-feet for short bursts of overboost!)? C'mon, guys. Admit what the Net has been alleging all along: the old twin-turbo really made gobs more power and torque than you let on, right?

link title
  • Options
    Not only that, but if the internal components were upgraded, the power could approach 400 HP/ft.-lbs. on the TT. The modded engines work but the result is risky without fortified internals.

The N54 is the more versatile performance proposition.

According to BMW, the N54B30 produces 306 hp (228 kW) and 295 ft•lbf/400 N•m. Third party testing has revealed the engine is significantly underrated, producing 332 hp (248 kW) and 311 ft•lbf/422 N•m in one test.

The engine uses two small low-pressure turbochargers to remove turbo lag at low elevations. For this reason, the turbo pressure is only 0.4 bars, as the engineering goal was to offer the same driving feel as with naturally aspirated engines.

In 2006, the new engine debuted at the 2006 Geneva Motor Show. Unlike the newer BMW N55 turbocharged engine, N54B30 does not use the second generation Valvetronic technology found in the N52.

Reduction of intake vacuum is the principal advantage of Valvetronic, which is not an issue in the pressurized intake found in a turbo-charged engine. After that the engine is modified with aftermarket tuning to produce in excess of 400 hp.

The engine block of the N54B30 is not similar to the older generation BMW M54B30 engine. The M54 is a single-piece block, while the N54 is a two-piece block with a separate bedplate, just like the N52.

The M54 has a water pump housing cast into the block, while the N54 has an electric water pump, just like the N52. The M54 is a closed-deck design, while the N54 has an open deck.

A version of the N54B30 with higher power and torque but across a narrower peak torque band was introduced in the F01 2009 BMW 740i.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
  • Options
    OW... please show the source, or include a link to the source when you quote information in your posts. It's been a long-standing tradition here, and hope you don't mind my request. Thanks my friend.

TM
  • Options
    Oops! Sorry!

N54

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Not sure this is place to post this but here goes:

Visited one of the Nissan dealers near Wilsonville OR today and discovered they are apparently adding an Audi dealership next door.
    If all goes well, there may have 2 instead of 1 Audi dealers here in Portland, OR!

I've had interest in Audi for some time, but was uncomfortable relying solely on one dealer for service and parts. A second dealer will change that.
  • Options
    I don't know the answer to your question, but it does give me reason to wonder if there is any chance that the existing dealership is simply building themselves a newer facility, or if the franchise has been sold to another dealer who is building a new facility. Either one of those possible situations would still result in one Audi dealership... although a nice new one. :)

TM
  • Options
    I've had interest in Audi for some time, but was uncomfortable relying solely on one dealer for service and parts. A second dealer will change that.

I know what you mean. There are two Audi/Porsche shops about equal distance from me, one North, one South. One is pretty good, the other not so much.
  • Options
    kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    The new potential Oregon dealer is part of a different dealer network than the current dealer is. So it actually appears it will be an entirely new dealer.

The current dealer, Sunset Imports, has, I think, two locations within Portland (both far from where I live), but it is still one dealer.
  • Options
    Hehehe :)

• Options
    Too funny. Actually, the debate on "Best Wheel Drive" was exhilarating on Carspace.

You can opine all day long on the superiroity of RWD but IMHO, AWD is KING.

Period, the end. It's a shame BMW neuters the AWD but Audi knows how to GO!

Nurburgring times prove AWD is KING for anything under $100K at the moment...GT-R.

The Defense rests.......

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    Hi TM,

I wonder what sort of issue it eventually aroused in your 135i. Mechanical? Electronic? Has it been fixed? (I've got no much time to enter in the forums recently—may be your info has escaped to my eyes. :blush: )

Regards,
    Jose
  • Options
    anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    Hi Jose

I have been reading about Spain alot in the news lately, and am glad to see your post....I too have been waiting for Mr Tag to give us an update, and sure hope it is a small problem.....My audi had to wait for me for about a month, and I was afraid the battery or something might be bad, but it started right up.....I have been looking at the pictures of the new Audi to be, and it is growing on me.....after all on close inspection it is very similar to the one I have.....I may have just been fortunate, but the car I have has really been a trouble free one, and this is the longest I have held a car in the last twenty five years....Strange for me not to be temped to get any new car......I have seen a number of a5 or s, sort of like Phil`s and they are a very attractive car.....I know you love your bmw and my wife loves her`s but the Audi has a very nice interior....Later my friend Tony
  • Options
    Jose... Tony...
    I've been so busy with so many different things lately that my 135i has patiently sat in the driveway the entire time, just waiting to be repaired. I have had no time whatsoever to deal with it, and I have driven the Jag instead. Funny you should post today about it, as I have finally cleared some time on my calendar tomorrow to attempt to get the car towed to the service department at the local BMW dealership. I have a very strong feeling that the culprit is the high pressure fuel pump, and I do promise that I will let you gentlemen know the outcome.

On a side note... I've still been thinking a lot about getting a Toyota Prius lately, and I intend to test drive one in the near future. I sure have changed a lot as I've gotten older, and I just love the idea of being more environmentaly-friendly, and getting around 50 mpg. Something must be wrong with me. ;)

TM
  • Options
    Tony,

Unemployment and public debt is still increasing over here. We keep walking in the cold and dark side of the moon.

Audi is a great choice, IMO. Though, as you said, I could be still loyal for a while to my coupe bimmer. I may have good reasons for that loyalty ( ;) ):
    BMW 3.0L Turbodiesel 2010 Wards 10 Best Engines

Regards,
    Jose
  • Options
    …as I've gotten older… Something must be wrong with me.

Older? Nothing wrong with you. I think you keep enjoying with tech novelties. :P

Regards,
    Jose
  • Options
    Aston Martin Rapide First Drive

"It's not about performance, it's about where you come from," proclaims Dr. Ulrich Bez, Aston Martin's outspoken CEO at the global launch of the Rapide. "It's about authenticity. The Rapide is the only four-door sports car in the world -- the only one that comes from a sports car. Others are made from limousines."

Strong words, and whether or not you believe them, they're a clarion call to battle. Though Aston Martin is fashionably late to the four-door party, the Rapide is aimed squarely at the likes of the Porsche Panamera, Maserati Quattroporte, and Mercedes-Benz CLS63 AMG

link title
  • Options
    2011 Audi A8 4.2 First Drive

link title
  • Options
    Very complimentary review, but no serious hands-on testing of any kind.

Nontheless, the new 2011 A8 sounds impressive.

TM
  • Options
    Yet another BMW high-pressure fuel pump bites the dust... I can only imagine that the graveyard for those must be terribly overcrowded.

Well, I promised I'd report the findings when BMW looked at my 135i... so yes, it seems the culprit was indeed once again BMW's infamous high-pressure fuel pump. :sick:

I was informed this evening, and I intend to pick up the vehicle tomorrow or Saturday.

NOTE: On a seperate matter, Toyota has finally recalled the Prius, to deal with the braking malfunction... apparently tied to software, however incredibily, Toyota knew about the problem!.. and supposedly has changed their software.,, just in time for me in case I ever buy one... LOL. ;)

TM
  • Options
    Figured as much by your diagnosis and the nagging problem for the N54TT. At least you're covered for 10years/120K miles if it craps out again.

Afaic, you are dead spoiled with your rides...I'll guess you'll never take the "Prius Plunge"! ;)

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    Thanks for keeping us informed.

Do you know the fabrication year/number of the two faulty HPFP's? Looks like they either belonged to the same set or, ever worse, kept having through the time a non-solved default—in any case, what a shame for BMW!

Regards,
    Jose
  • Options
    anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    I to am sorry you had this inconvenience....Thanks for the report.....The A 8 really is not that different than what i have , which leaves me confused as usual.....Just for the heck of it I checked the Ford, and it only came with a black interior....I`m glad you are going slow on the Toyota, as I really don`t think you would be at all happy with it....Remember Howard got the underpowered 3 after the powerful 5....Not good...I personally think you would enjoy the 3 with the engine you now have, or maybe a larger more powerful engine.....But what you have right now is a great car...Tony
  • Options
    bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    NOTE: On a seperate matter, Toyota has finally recalled the Prius, to deal with the braking malfunction... apparently tied to software, however incredibily, Toyota knew about the problem!.. and supposedly has changed their software.,, just in time for me in case I ever buy one... LOL

Looks like some1 just got rid of his 335i lemon and got the Prius which has been recalled :surprise:

Unlucky twice? Maybe :shades:
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    Looks like some1 just got rid of his 335i lemon and got the Prius which has been recalled

A recall does not = :lemon: . Surely you ARE joking ;) ?