Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Cadillac CTS

Comments

• ral1960ral1960 Member Posts: 74
    Traffic.

And we all have left peg legs.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    Many, many posts on this subject here:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef6716a?displayRecent
    2022 X3 M40i
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Member Posts: 316
    The fact is, automatics have advanced to the point where the best of them (notice I said the best) are better than sticks for both performance and fuel mileage.
    From a GM source:

- Good question on fuel economy. It is 17/26 for the base 3.6-liter engine and 18/26 for the optional Direct Injection engine. AWD fuel econ is the same for the base engine; subtract 1 mpg for AWD on the optional engine. That's right, the more powerful engine with DI is actually a tiny bit more efficient in RWD. Overall a lot more power and performance than the prior model, with no loss of fuel econ, despite a much tougher EPA mileage calculation that is new for 2008 for all vehicles in the US.
    2022 X3 M40i
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Member Posts: 486
    We are a country that generally has taken more to slushboxes versus manny trannies for a variety of reasons. First, this country really embraced them early on , and from that standpoint, the emphasis on stick shift cars got less and less over the years. At GM, even some of the best shifters of the muscle car era were outsourced (Hurst comes to mind). Not to mention that GM has over 65 production years of experience with auto gearboxes. After a while, everyone wanted them and they were (and still are) popular choices for automakers. The old Turbo-Hydramatics in the 60's, 70's and '80's were commonly used in Rolls Royce cars and Land Rover. BMW still uses GM automatics to this day. Ford uses the 6 speed automatics (yeah, they co-developed it, but really, who's tech is really in this thing?).

Mercedes and Lexus may have more forward gears now, but GM's experience in this one part is well known.
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    They compared the the CTS to C350 to 330 and they were less than complementary. Hey, there's always got to be one publication who cant give GM props. Automobile isnt known for being GM friendly and this review backed that up.
    Can't find this article anywhere on the web.
  • kgabehurtkgabehurt Member Posts: 84
    What type of numbers (prices) are the salivating dealers asking on the newly designed CTS? Anyone try yet?
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    this is in the current issue, its probably not online yet but I'm sure it will be soon. check your local newstand, it just came out. They were actually pretty harsh and summed it up by saying Cadillac doesnt know what it wants to be and is trying to do too many things with the CTS. Their point seemed to be that the CTS wasnt a true european car competitor because it doesnt emulate them 100%.
    "What type of numbers (prices) are the salivating dealers asking on the newly designed CTS? "

Last I checked, my closest Dealer had no 2008 CTS-s nor 2008 V6 STS-s.

I will wait until I can drive both a CTS DI w/Y43 and an STS V6 w/PDQ before considering whether or not to open price discussions...

- Ray
    Waiting.
    2022 X3 M40i
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    Actually, it was the C350 sport and 335. They hampered the CTS with an auto, while using the stick-equipped 335. AND their performance data for both the Benz and Bimmer were from a different day in a different country! That article is a total joke! I just started getting Automobile a few months ago and I have found serious problems with each issue I've received. It will NOT be getting renewed.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• thebugthebug Member Posts: 294
    rayainsw - I did make it to a local dealer. There will be a few color combination restrictions, but not as Edmunds has notated. Cadillac will not allow what "they" deem as a poor color grouping, as in white diamond and red will be allowed with all interior colors, while black raven, blue chip, and thunder gray will only be mated with interior colors that "they" feel are better coordinated.

Specifically he mentioned that blue chip/thunder gray will not be allowed with shades of brown,or brown like colors, (that's a good thing in my view). Per the dealer, they are going to LA on Monday to do a full day test drive. He said he'd call me with his reviews when he returned. The 08 CTS is expected to hit the showroom by 8 September in the Las Vegas area, according to their estimates.

thebug...
    You don't have to wait for his call. He is a Cadillac dealer. He is going to say, "fabulous car". I am hoping it will be a fabulous car, but I wouldn't take a dealer's word for it.
  • puckspucks Member Posts: 47
    See this site. You can see what combo's are not available. Can't get the ebony interior with the blue chip exterior. Bummer...I was considering that combo.

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/proddesc.jsp?year=2008&regionID=1&divi- sionID=5&type=0&vehicleID=4824&section=col_trim&page=9&butID=3
    pucks - I think you can get ebony with blue chip. The order guide that observed at the dealer had blue chip/thunder gray/black raven listed with ebony. Check with the "order guy" (so they called him) at your dealer.

thebug...
    150mphclub - I think he's going to be straight forward on his response. If he thinks it sucks, I beleive he'll let me know. Cadillac dealer or no.

thebug...
    After seeing the allowed package groups, I'm going with 6DP69, Y40, Y41, PDR inc.(Y42/Y44), B20, & B19. May upgrade to the nav if it looks okay, but will difinitely upgrade to the 10 speaker system (cost unknown). Going with black on black, and this should come out to $46,473.62. That includes dealer doc fees, TTL, and distination charge,and that's before any negotiated discounts of course. That's my plan and I'm sicking to it.

thebug...
    U2S - The Bose 5.1 with 40GB hard drive is $1000. Adding the Navi gets you to $3145. Amazing how much they get for a Navi. I just can't justify that price! Will go with the Bose 5.1 for sure.
    My immediate family (father, uncle, brother, cousins) have been in the automobile business since 1925. I can buy almost any brand out there at 3% or more below invoice. However, I have yet to meet a dealer who didn't have the best car on the market for the price.
  • kramovidkramovid Member Posts: 1
    Hi - new to the forum so be kind. I am looking at the new CTS. I am trying to find info (which is very scarce) on the various audio options. I know I can get the USB / audio connection if I order the HDD audio option(s), but is it standard? If you do not order the HDD are the USB and audio options standard?

Any help is greatly appreciated... :confuse:
  • ortegaortega Member Posts: 105
    The USB/audio connection is not standard, but if you're ordering the audio system with the HDD (RPO code U2S, which requires the Y44 seating package), it would include the USB/audio connection:

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/proddesc.jsp?year=2008&regionID=1&divi- - sionID=5&type=0&vehicleID=4824&section=radios&page=&butID=5

On this same site, if you look under Odering Info, Interior you can see more information about the available options/packages and their prerequisites.
  • soflkurtzsoflkurtz Member Posts: 14
    Wondering if anyone can speak GM/Caddy print book speak, also provide some general Caddy comments / advice.

There's one option, called the "Performance Cooling System" (V03) that seems to only be available with the auto trans. Is that a transmission cooler or something else?

Also, I have no idea what the differnce is between the 6DM69/1SA and 6DP69/1SB packages are. They seem the same. Anyone know?

The RPO codes that I would like are:

LLT -- 304HP motor
    MN6 -- man tran
    PDQ -- premium luxury (includes everything I can think of)
    Y43 -- Summer tires, FE3 suspension, better brakes, etc.
    ZAA -- compact spare (unless someone can explain the inflator kit to me)

Overall, I love the look of the car, my employer qualifies me for supplier pricing, plus I recently recieved a $2,000 offer from GMAC which can be stacked with the supplier pricing.

After a test drive, I will decide. I currently drive an Infinti G35 with a manual, which I love and hate simultaneously. The BMW 335i was on my very short list, but I have a funny feeling I will get more content, slighly less performance for about $10K cheaper, maybe more with my stacked discounts.

The only problem is that the car I will test drive will not have the performance options, and the second catch is that the $2,000 GMAC thing expires 09/29.

I am willing to listen to comments, accolades, gripes, etc.
    6DM69/1SA has standard engine with manual transmission, and 6DP69/1SB has 304 HP Direct Injection engine with automatic transmission.
  • knotemknotem Member Posts: 62
    How can you obtain the $2k from GMAC?
    I live in California and never heard of such a GMAC offer, although I have $3,500 earned from GM MasterCard toward my next purchase of any GM car.
  • muschanymuschany Member Posts: 4
    Last time I checked, you were limited to using a maximum of $1,000 of your accumulated GM Mastercard earnings on a 2008 CTS.
  • knotemknotem Member Posts: 62
    There're two kinds of GM card, the one I have is for all new GM products, any year, any model and no limit. It's a 7 years plan, earns a maximum of $500 a year; once you accumulate the $3,500 it freezes until you buy the car.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    The question: are there any complete 2008 CTS brochures at dealers yet. I did call one of our local stores and the sales person thought I meant 2007 brochures and (so it seems) must've been living in a cave as he seemed to "suggest" there would only be cosmetic changes for the new car.

I would probably make a poor rep, since I actually read car magazines, web sites and participate in these forums -- seems the less product knowledge you have the better.

Oh, I'll take that back, the guys at the Audi store and the BMW store are super into cars. Maybe I just ran into one guy at the Cadillac store who didn't know his products.

:confuse:
    "The question: are there any complete 2008 CTS brochures at dealers yet."

As of Friday PM - my local Dealer ( Internet Manager ) says that they have no information on the 2008 CTS.
    - Ray
    Still waiting......
    2022 X3 M40i
    Actually you don't have to be know much about cars to sell them. The average customer knows nothing and is sold by a bunch of slick BS. We once had a salesman who couldn't keep the various models straight, but he always made his quota.
    Went to my dealer last week and nothing doing on the brochure either. I asked when...the guy says "soon". I ask when the car is coming in he says "we usually get one car when the brochure comes in"

What a fountain of knowledge. Do these clowns even want to sell a car?
    soflkurtz - I called Cadillac at the 800 number from their web site, and spoke with a order rep for about 45 minutes. She gave be a blow by blow account of the options that I'm interested in, and that's how I put my order groups together. I then compared the info that she provided with the order guy at the dealer, and it's all dead on.

thebug...
  • bingomanbingoman Member Posts: 373
    The inflator kit is a can of compressed air, with some sealant material, that you attach to the valve of a damaged tire to seal the puncture and re inflate the tire. Considering that I have never seen a compact spare that would hold the 60 psi pressure for any length of time, and that the tire is always placed in the trunk with the valve down, requiring you to remove the tire in order to check or re inflate it, the inflator kit may be the better choice. Besides, $250 for a miniature tire and steel wheel is exorbitant.
    :P
    bingoman, you are right on. Besides, don't we just have to hit the Onstar button, and Cadillac service will magically appear to fix the flat?
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    normally, the spare tire is fitted inside teh trunk - under the carpetting. Do you think that indentation goes into the price and if you don't get the option, the trunk floor will be flat?

Otherwise, I guess you could just get the tire sealant and pick-up a spare tire aftermarket.
  • rem506rem506 Member Posts: 13
    I sopke to a representative at the GM card redemption center and he informed me that the redemption allowance on the 2008 CTS was $2000. This surprised me as I was expecting a smaller amount (I previously guessed it would be a maximum allowance of $1000) that GM typically allows for more popular models that are not having trouble moving off dealer lots. I was very explicate that I was asking him about the 2008 CTS (and not the 2007 model) and he was very explicate that the redemption allowance for the 2008 CTS was $2000. Now I'm hearing things on this board that are more in line with my prior expectations (ie, $1000 redemption allowance). Does anybody know the answer to this question?
    .. apparently ( according to GMBuyPower.com ) on the way to my closest dealer....

CTS V6 DI PERFORMANCE SEDAN
    ENGINE,3.6L V6 DIRECT INJECTION
    TRANSMISSION, 6-SPD AUTOMATIC
    White Diamond Premium Paint
    Cashmere
    MANUFACTURER'S SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE $47,040.00
    STANDARD VEHICLE PRICE $34,545.00
    Options installed by Manufacturer
    PREMIUM LUXURY COLLECTION:
    AM/FM STEREO, CD/DVD PLAYER,
    MP3 FORMAT, BOSE 5.1 CABIN
    SURROUND SOUND 10 SPEAKER
    SYSTEM, 40GB HARD DIRVE
    DEVICE, NAVIGATION SYSTEM
    WITH XM NAV TRAFFIC - SERVICE
    FEE EXTRA. 1ST 3 MONTHS INCL.
    (REPLACES STD/OPT RADIO)
    ULTRAVIEW SUNROOF
    SAPELE WOOD TRIM ON CENTER
    CONSOLE, INSTRUMENT PANEL AND
    DOOR TRIM
    * LUXURY LEVEL ONE PACKAGE:
    *17" MACHINED FINISH
    ALUMINUM WHEELS
    *THEFT DETERRENT ALARM SYSTEM
    *RAINSENSE WINDSHIELD WIPERS
    *INTERIOR ACCENT LIGHTING
    * LUXURY LEVEL TWO PACKAGE:
    *HEATED AND COOLED SEATS,
    DRIVER AND FRONT PASSENGER
    *SEATS, REAR SPLIT FOLDING
    *POWER TILT/TELESCOPE
    STEERING WHEEL
    *UNIVERSAL HOME REMOTE
    *KEYLESS ACCESS
    *REAR PARK ASSIST
    * SEATING PACKAGE:
    *SEATS, LEATHER SURFACES
    *PWR SEAT ADJUST-FRONT
    PASSENGER & PWR LUMBAR-FRONT
    PASSENGER/DRIVER, 10 WAY
    *MEMORY SEAT ADJUSTER
    *HEATED WINDSHIELD
    WASHER FLUID
    UNIT PRODUCED WITHOUT:
    SAPELE WOOD TRIM ON STEERING
    WHEEL AND SHIFT KNOB
    $ 8,015.00
    TIRE, COMPACT SPARE
    (REPLACES TIRE INFLATOR KIT)
    $ 250.00
    18" POLISHED ALUMINUM WHEELS
    (REPLACES STD/OPT WHEELS)
    $ 750.00
    18" ALL SEASON TIRE PERFORMANCE
    PACKAGE:
    HEADLAMPS, HIGH INTENSITY
    DISCHARGE
    HEADLAMP WASHER
    18" PAINTED ALUMINUM WHEELS
    P235/50R18 ALL SEASON TIRES
    DIFFERENTIAL, LIMITED SLIP
    SPORT SUSPENSION SYSTEM
    PERFORMANCE COOLING SYSTEM
    FOG LAMPS
    $ 1,740.00
    CTS STANDARD PACKAGE
    NO CHARGE
    WHITE DIAMOND PREMIUM PAINT
    $ 995.00
    TOTAL OPTIONS $11,750.00
    TOTAL VEHICLE & OPTIONS $46,295.00
    DESTINATION CHARGE $745.00
    TOTAL VEHICLE PRICE*** $47,040.00
    CURRENT OFFERS $-0.00
    NET PRICE $47,040.00
    STANDARD EQUIPMENT
    Items Featured Below are included at NO EXTRA CHARGE in the Standard Vehicle Price Shown at Right

STANDARD FEATURES
    5 YEAR/100,000 MILE POWERTRAIN LIMITED WARRANTY SEE DEALER FOR DETAILS
    4 YEAR/50,000 MILE BUMPER-TO-BUMPER WARRANTY SEE DEALER FOR DETAILS
    ***PERFORMANCE***
    ENGINE, 3.6L V6 304HP WITH DIRECT INJECTION
    TRANSMISSION, 6-SPD AUTOMATIC
    4 WHEEL IND SUSPENSION SYSTEM
    ANTILOCK BRAKE SYSTEM, 4 WHEEL DISC
    17" PAINTED ALUMINUM WHEELS
    P235/55R17 ALL SEASON TIRES
    STABILITRAK-STABILITY CONTROL
    ALL SPEED TRACTION CONTROL
    TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR
    TIRE SEALANT & INFLATOR KIT IN PLACE OF SPARE TIRE
    ***LUXURY/CONVENIENCE***
    LEATHER WRAPPED STEERING WHEEL WITH AUXILIARY CONTROLS
    DUAL ZONE CLIMATE CONTROL
    SEATS, FRONT BUCKET
    PWR SEAT ADJUST-DRIVER, 8 WAY
    POWER WINDOWS-DRIVER & FRONT PASSENGER EXPRESS UP AND DOWN
    POWER HEATED OUTSIDE MIRRORS
    INSIDE REARVIEW MIRROR, AUTO DIMMING
    CRUISE CONTROL
    DRIVER INFORMATION CENTER
    REAR SEAT PASS-THRU TO TRUNK
    AM/FM STEREO, CD PLAYER, MP3 FORMAT, BOSE 8 SPEAKER SYSTEM
    XM SATELLITE RADIO - SERVICE FEE EXTRA. 1ST 3 MONTHS INCL.
    ***SAFETY***
    FRONT & SIDE IMPACT AIRBAGS, DRIVER AND FRONT PASSENGER
    HEAD CURTAIN SIDE AIRBAGS, FRONT/REAR
    SAFETY BELT PRETENSIONERS
    DAYTIME RUNNING LAMPS
    TWILIGHT SENTINEL AUTO LAMPS
    POWER DOOR LOCKS-PROGRAMMABLE
    CHILD SECURITY DR LOCKS REAR
    THEFT DETERRENT SYSTEM
    REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY
    1YR ONSTAR DIRECTIONS W/TURN- BY-TURN NAVIGATION(ASK DEALER ABOUT GEOGRAPHIC COVERAGE)
    1YR ONSTAR DIRECTIONS W/TURN- BY-TURN NAVIGATION(ASK DEALER ABOUT GEOGRAPHIC COVERAGE)
    2022 X3 M40i
  • muschanymuschany Member Posts: 4
    I just checked my GM Card website again and the redemption allowances were as follows: 2008 CTS = $1000, 2008 DTS = $2000, 2008 STS = $2000, 2008 STS-V = $2000. This was a secure site, so I assume a link would be useless. Of course, the site could be incorrect.
    There are two different GM cards. You need to check the rules for the specific card you carry.
    I saw my first TV commercial for the 2008 CTS last night.
  • jblaze13jblaze13 Member Posts: 152
    Wife and I were at another dealership when we walked over to Cadillac. There were 4 on the lot with 2 already sold. The interior feels tight in the front. Although there was good legroom in the back. There was one loaded version that cost over $47k. I hope there are more wheel options. The 18" wheels looked nice. Base wheels were unacceptable.
  • nextone1nextone1 Member Posts: 15
    What city and dealer?
  • jblaze13jblaze13 Member Posts: 152
    orland park, illinois. rizza.
  • fueledupfueledup Member Posts: 64
    just placed order for 08' cts pretty much loaded with msrp of apprx $ 46,000. paid $ 44,000.
  • jpstax1jpstax1 Member Posts: 197
    I ordered a 2008 LaCrosse Super last month and was told by my dealer to expect manufacturer to customer incentives, even though the car is a brand new model that Buick thinks will be a pretty good seller. He was right because Edmunds is showing a $1000 Cash to Customer rebate that's good until 9/4/07. Yes!!!

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2008/buick/lacrosse/100900863/incentives.html
  • jpennjpenn Member Posts: 68
    Hey Fueledup,

Can you give us an idea of what "pretty much loaded" is? I think 46 for 44 isn't bad if it really is a loaded CTS.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Camargo Cadillac somehow ended up with three new CTS's, and ONE brochure. I pulled in, got behind the wheel, didn't have time to drive it, damn!

CTS is very attractive, darn near beautiful.

I configured two of them IDENTICALLY, as I would order it:

1. DI engine $48,240
    2. "regular" engine $47,240.

This is a no brainer.

I picked BlackCherry, Cashmere leather, DI engine, AWD, Premium, Performance tire/wheel upgrade and a tick here and there on the option sheet. Zipped up to about $12K of options in no time.

There are about 20 of them in the parking lot of the country club that adjoins my subdivision here in sub-urban Cincinnati -- alongside Mercedes, BMW's and last year's CTS-v's.

Dealer training starts on Monday and the cars are completely approachable, not guarded -- so I have pretty much examined the testers in addition to the ones at the dealership.

The interior "fit and finish" and the trout mouth front grill, reminds me of the C6 Audi A6's -- only chisled and square jawed rather than rounded.

For the MSRP, the Cadillac would seem to be a winner.

I'll say a little Bluetooth prayer since I can wait 8 months (longer if I keep the lease payments up after the contract end.)
    How about grabbing some photos and posting them? Please!
  • univguy1999univguy1999 Member Posts: 8
    I placed my order in early June for a loaded CTS.

It was built on July 30th and was shipped last Tuesday. (All CTS's were held at the factory until at least Aug 8th when they began shipping them) I expect mine to arrive at the dealership next weekend, give or take a day or two.

I ordered every option expect all wheel drive and the summer tire performance package. Everything else, including white diamond paint came to $46,770. I got this bought for $44,440.

I also had the unique opportunity to tour the Lansing, MI assembly plant where most Cadillacs are made, and actually saw my car being built. It was amazing. I saw every color of the CTS's as they were being built. I even got to drive one around the factory grounds. I've even got photos of it as it is being produced. I cant wait to get mine next week!

My only disappointment is that the "aftermarket" bluetooth that appears to be available is some retrofit thing that will look pretty tacky when its installed. They cut a hole in the overhead console and insert a speaker the "kind of" matches the interior. It doesnt look like it integrates with the audio system, etc.. I'll probably pass on the aftermarket and "hope" that when a built in option is available, I can retrofit the electronics in the car to accomodate Bluetooth at that time.

I'll post my impression once I have it for a couple days.

">
  • univguy1999univguy1999 Member Posts: 8
    Check out these photo's I snapped around the factory in Lansing.

http://www.carspace.com/univguy1999/Albums/Cadillac%20CTS%20Caught%20At%20Factor- y/
    Thanks! That's like the one I ordered--white diamond with the 18 in sport wheels.