Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently bought a new car and completed the purchase entirely online? A reporter would like to speak to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 5/28 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Private seller meeting at public place

MCallahan82MCallahan82 Posts: 4
edited January 23 in Chevrolet
Hello all,

I've found a used car through a private seller. Everything I've seen about it so far looks great. He has provided a lot of information on the car, including the clean Carfax report.

For the test drive, he wants to meet at a public place. Is it a red flag that he wants to meet there instead of at his house, or is this just a reasonable precaution on his part?

Thanks!

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 152,577

Hello all,

I've found a used car through a private seller. Everything I've seen about it so far looks great. He has provided a lot of information on the car, including the clean Carfax report.

For the test drive, he wants to meet at a public place. Is it a red flag that he wants to meet there instead of at his house, or is this just a reasonable precaution on his part?

Thanks!

Tough call.

Our local police department encourages people to meet in their parking lot for person-to-person transactions.

I've never had a problem with people coming to my house to look at cars I'm trying to sell, but I could understand someone with issues, that way.

But, I don't know where you live, or how you feel about that. You might make it clear that you aren't bringing any money, and this is just for a test drive, until a deal is struck.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Thanks for your response!