Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Serpentine Belt Broke due to Broken Alternator Bracket

kathikathi SW PAPosts: 5
edited January 27 in Buick
Have a little over 42000 miles on this. Took it in for inspection Jan - all okay. Two weeks later the car stopped on the way to a dr appointment. Service says the serpentine belt broke. They said it was due to a broken alternator bracket that they can't find anywhere or buy anywhere so far. It's been close to 2 weeks in this search they are doing and so far nothing. Is it that odd that there's no parts either being manufactured to replace the bracket and there are no aftermarket parts?

Comments

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Posts: 5,322
    edited January 27
    It looks like you may have to settle for a used bracket, if this is the part that failed. The first link is the part number for the bracket. The second is a GM Parts website that I use quite often.

https://www.gmcarpartsonline.com/p/Buick__LaCrosse/Air-Conditioning-AC-Compressor-Bracket-Alternator-Bracket-Mount-Bracket/48038096/12649651.html?partner=googlebase_adwords&kwd=&origin=pla&partnerDevice=c&userLocation=9003387&gclid=Cj0KCQiAsbrxBRDpARIsAAnnz_PjlkihJnhQVe-exLYMNH0DOhctPna1QzRL_jFBYTtzC0SkVEK7V48aAsR9EALw_wcB

From GM Parts Giant.....
    https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm-bracket-12649651.html

GM Part No.: 12649651
    Bracket-Generator & A/C Compressor

Part Description BRACKET

Other Name BRACKET, A/C Compressor Mounting

Manufacturer GM. This genuine GM part is guaranteed by GM's factory warranty.

Manufacturer's Notes This part is discontinued. It is no longer available for purchase.
  • kathikathi SW PAPosts: 5
    Thanks. I printed this links off and will check with the shop today about this since they have stated that so far there are no aftermarket parts available anywhere. I validated this fits my LaCrosse using the VIN lookup.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 164,513
    kathi said:

Thanks. I printed this links off and will check with the shop today about this since they have stated that so far there are no aftermarket parts available anywhere. I validated this fits my LaCrosse using the VIN lookup.

Used.. you may have to get it from a salvage yard/dismantler. Your dealer likely will not do that. You'll need and independent mechanic.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• kathikathi SW PAPosts: 5
    Mechanics have been trying to get the part and so far cannot locate a used part. They are going thru gmparts. Thanks for your help. Looks to me like Buick really is at fault - I still have a warranty (just moved to the extended warranty late Nov), car is not even 5 years owned yet (purchased new) and Buick doesn't make the replacement part, can't find one, and darn I used to love Buicks... not sure anymore.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Posts: 5,322
    I talked to one of my local salvage yards. A bracket like that is typically left on an engine when they remove it and sell it as a used part. In all likelyhood if you call around looking for a matching used engine that is already pulled out of the car, that bracket will be on the engine sitting on the shelf. A matching one will be on a core engine that would be returned to them. Donawitz in Rochester Pa didn't have one but someone will.