Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

War of the Compacts: Frontier, Ranger, Tacoma, S10, Dakota, B-Series, & Hombre

Comments

• Options
    bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Sir, the Dakota 4.7 V8 in many cases gets better mileage than the 3.9 V6, small for the Dakota as it is "bigger than a bread box, but smaller than a house." It definitely falls into a category of its own. Last time I looked, the 4.7 was a high tech V8, smaller in cubic inches than the 5.2 and the 5.9. Is that what you meant when referring to smaller displacement and higher tech?

Bookitty
  • Options
    cthompson21cthompson21 Member Posts: 1,102
    What is the 3.9L V6?

If you're talking about the 3.9L V6 in the Dakota, that engine is a total piece of crap. I wouldn't wish it on my worse enemy. I wouldn't consider purchasing anything with that engine in it. That thing can't get out of its own way and guzzles gas like there's a gaping hole in the fuel line.

The 4.7L has good power, but its economy is still mediocre, though better than that terrible 3.9L V6.

I'd opt for an engine like the 3.9L V8 in the Lincoln LS. With a proper setup (3.55 rear end and a 5-speed manual) mid to upper twenties in mpg would be possible. And, with 252hp and 267ft/lbs of torque the truck would be very quick and could easily tow moderate loads (I'd never tow 5000lbs+ with a compact/midsize). It would be the best of both worlds.
  • Options
    devoydevoy Member Posts: 4
    thanks for the input/response will definitely be checking out the dakota on my next goround.

INL
  • Options
    barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    I test drove a 4.7 Dakota crew cab with an auto and I was scared away from the burnt oil smell after hard accelerations and after looking under truck and seeing a huge hollow drive shaft,when you tapped on it,it didn't sound to sturdy or strong.
  • Options
    Ford plans on dethroning the Wrangler jeep for offroading in 2004,They are currently working on an offroad Ranger with a possible ragtop to battle with the Jeep.
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    50 posts in 24 hours!! This room is moving!
    I read them all and have to wonder, when did trucks become race cars? Anyone know a 4x4 with a supercharger is a joke. Most of the time when you are on a trial you are going about 5-10mph, and slower!! You may reach 20-25 on flat spots or rocked roads..
    You bring the R/T into this room. lets not forget the Ford Lighting.. Nuff said..
    The Dakota is a fine truck and is a niche truck. For those not needing a V8 the Toyota/Ranger/Nissan do fine. The MPG for the V8 Dakota's aren't much better than the full size V8's. Why? not just buy a full size?
  • Options
    goobagooba Member Posts: 391
    What arrogance as well as ignorance you continually display.Contrary to popular belief not ALL terrain or 4 wheeling is done on trails.We have alot of flat open areas and do alot of hill climbs as well as sand drags,on the flat and up th hills.My blown,alcohol 4x4 truck that I go play with in the dirt has plenty of torque as well as hp and does quite well off road pulling dual rear paddle tires.So there is a use for going fast over the desert or you eat alot of dust.
  • Options
    mahimahimahimahi Member Posts: 497
    Gooba...you slipped in on me :)

Vince8,
    You are a very confused BOY! You rag and rag on Toyotas and Nissans('cause your jealous)then here you rag on Dodge and then try to lump Nissan and Toyota with Ranger saying their 'fine', what's wrong with you? How come you never mention the S-10, I'm curious? There's noway you could possibly like them, you haven't owned one of those either...oh that's right you've only owned a Ranger that had no problems w/94K miles on it. How do you expect anyone to understand your view or even side with you? You've even had the Ford owners confused, I don't even see you as a Ranger Owner 'cause the REAL owners of the Rangers here are REAL people with an actual thought process and are objective thinking people.
  • Options
    I wouldn't know how fast somebody is going on 'TRIAL'...I've heard of a fast and speedy 'TRIAL' but never any mention of how fast! LOL
  • Options
    2drive2drive Member Posts: 90
    Why did I buy a 4.7L V8 4WD Dakota Quad Cab instead of the F150? Well, I did not get the full size bulk, and with the 4,500 lb. mass, I do get a 22 mpg hit to the wallet at 70-75 mph, with all the mindnumbing performance that I can handle at one time! What can I do??
  • Options
    steve234steve234 Member Posts: 460
    While I am not a major fan of the Dodge 3.9l v6, it is not as you put it, a piece of crap. It is a decent engine of the old school, just like the 5.9. It is due to be replaced within a year or two. Ten years from now, I expect that most of the high tech engines out today, like the the Lincoln LS engine you like so much will be obsolete or near obsolete because of the way the market is going. What is amazing and we will not see again is the engines of the 50s and 60s that became standards for decades. The small block v8s of that era are just now being retired after 40 years.

mahimahi: Vince8 may be a pain at times, but don't let your attitude about him be the only thing you see. He made a couple of good points that are worthy of conversation not derision. About trail(trial) racing, those who enjoy that can explain how much fun it is to them. And as to why not go to a full-size truck. That is a legitimate question that many of us have asked ourselves when looking at what to buy. Isn't that one of the reasons for this forum; to discuss the merits of compact pickups and maybe help educate each other? As for spelling; go there and we are all in trouble.
  • Options
    resqmanresqman Member Posts: 71
    I looked at the full size trucks and compared the cost to the midsize/mini. The Dakota offers similar payload, towing, and passenger room as a full size for $5k-10k less.

I wanted the 4 doors so the whole family could ride but I also wanted cargo area. I had an SUV and was severely disappointed with the cargo capacity. Nothing seemed to fit without lowering the back seats. Then I could not take the family.

The full size extended cabs offered some back seat area but not 4 true doors. The true 4 door cabs on the full size are gigantic trucks designed for 6 large adults. A lot more truck than I need for a daily driver.

My truck is a daily driver. A family vehicle, carry supplies from the home center, road trip vehicle for family vacations. Full size was too much, the mini don't have 4 doors. SUV's don't have the cargo area.

The Dakota Quad cab offers me the 4 doors with a real back seat to carry my family and a cargo area large enough to meet my family's growing demands. Besides which, trucks are so much cooler than SUVs.
  • Options
    Steve, Hear! Hear!

Bruce, good post.

Bookitty
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    mah and goob have it in for me because I shut them down in the Nissan vs Ranger room. Along with my being a Ford fan.
    First of all, you question my 4x4 ability or know how, yet you know nothing about what trucks are really about, TORQUE or the Torque vs HP charts.
    You call me ignorant? You obviously don't know about he high deserts of Eastern Oregon and Washington. Most of my adventures take place in the Mountains of the Cascades I admit. In my opinion this is offroading at its best and funnest. Going 45-55MPH over open, flat terrain doesn't do it for me, nor does crawling through sand. I have done offroading in the deserts and an S/C isn't going to help you as much as you may wish it would... Mah and goob are pissed because Nissan can't put a real V6 in their trucks without bandaiding it to meet other manufactures normally aspirated V6 engines..
    In my post about the Dodge, in no way did I put down the Dakota. I asked some questions that you two turned and twisted (like normal) into a conflict. I know the Dakota V8 is no joke, I know the V8 can out tow, pull or outrun anything Ford has to offer. Now, quit putting words into my mouth and get the Dodge Dakota owners pissed at me.. not going to work..
  • Options
    I have never heard a good thing said about Dodge's 3.9 V6. Everything I've seen shows it to be terrible in both economy and performance. I've driven a couple and can definately attest to its lackluster performance. My sister's tales of 10-12city and 12-14highway mpg in a 2wd truck with an extremely conservative driver just horrify me.

One thing is for sure. The 3.9L is very old school, just like the 5.2L (do they still offer it?) and 5.9L V8s.

The 4.7L by all accounts is a teriffic engine. Maybe the merger will help Dodge keep up with the times as far as engines go. They seem to be a step behind the other manufacturers. In my opinion, the Dakota has only a single good, all around engine offering (that being the 4.7).
  • Options
    I knew you had some brains...I knew you could post your own OPINIONS and say that they were your own opinions. But you never do you always state it like it's fact, when it isn't. Remember the conversation we had about the contour and dealerships? A civilized conversation. I really don't have anything against you being a 'FORD FAN' at all why are you so 'thick-headed' about that. It's your presentation that gets me, derogatory statements. I know that everybody has a right to their opinion, hell I've eevn defended your presence on the S/T topic(until recently), but then you try bashing me on the Ranger/Tacoma topic come on man! If it's a war you want no problem but, I don't think it has to be that way. You've displayed that you can converse and debate like the rest of us here so why don't you do it? Also, you need to address somebody's comment directly instead of lumping all owners together(your getting better about that), because it make the 'lumped owners' defensive, you don't like it when someone puts words in your mouth do you?

On a different note, I've said in the past I don't agree with a S/C on a 4x4 either, but there's nothing wrong with it on a srteet truck. I still don't see how you can say that Nissan's is a bandaid and Ford's isn't. This is a good display of 'blocked' thinking.
  • Options
    Sorry, post 118 is for you Vince8.
  • Options
    I acknowelege what you are saying especially about the spelling...I was just breaking his horns.

I can't think of a single post that Vince8 has ever offered something informative, maybe offensive but not informative(hopefully that changes).

I don't know if that first part of your post was directed at me also, but I don't know anything about Dodge's V-6. I don't remember saying that it was piece of crap.
  • Options
    What in the world of full size trucks were you comparing the Dakota to? I just can't believe a 5-10K difference unless you're talking a bottom of the barrel with no options against a loaded up full-size truck.

I have to agree with you. I just don't like Sport Stupidity Vehicles.

I prefer splitting up vehiclular duties (towing/hauling/off-roading & commuting/highway-cruising/corner-carving) into more purpose-built vehicles. I guess that's why I own a 4x4 compact truck and a sports sedan. But, to each his own...
  • Options
    resqmanresqman Member Posts: 71
    A loaded Dakota Quad goes for about $25 MSRP. Full size pickup 2 door start at $25. Add a couple of doors and some options and there is your difference.
  • Options
    c21: I am a diehard Ford fanatic, but when looking at the new supercrew vs the Dakota Quad, I found a $4-5K price difference. I may be diehard but I am not rabid. I grant you that if I needed the full size pickup, the Supercrew is worth the money, but for my needs, I could not qualify the price. I love the Supercrew, I just don't need it or the payments.

vince8: will you never learn when to SHUTUP. I only defended you because the response was out of proportion to your remarks. If you want to participate with the adults, act like one.
  • Options
    I am not saying the 3.9 is all that great, just that it is not that bad. I suspect that the power/gas situation has to do more with the size of the Dakota being beyond the abilities of the engine. As for the 5.9, when it finally goes in a few years, it will be mourned by many. I have a 70's motorhome with one and it has never failed to start, can go 70 and has gotten 10 mpg with that heavy motorhome. They are gas hogs and old school, but they have a torque curve that is pure heaven for working.
  • Options
    F150s and Silverados (base models) start with an MSRP of around 15-16K. Dakotas (base model) start with an MSRP of around 14K. Sorry, but your 5-10K difference just doesn't exist. It's more like a 2-4K difference.

An F150 SuperCrew stickers for about 26K very well equipped. A comparable Dakota Quad Cab would be roughly 24K (quick math, i'm too lazy to add it up).

But, if whichever truck is the one you want, why should price matter so much to you?
  • Options
    If your friend actually paid 25K, I've got this real nice piece of swampland...

I got my fully loaded Ranger 4L 4x4 off-road pkg, power-everything, 5speed automatic (absolutely everything except ext-cab and LSD) for 18,500.

I think it stickered for something like 23K.

I'd agree with you that the Dakota is a really good looking truck, but I just wouldn't want that tranny hauling me around...
  • Options
    Maybe the Dakota "outgrew" the 3.9L V6 as it got bigger (and heavier)? Terrible mpg and lackluster performance would tell me the 3.9L is very underpowered for the Dakota.

Agree. The 5.9L is a great engine for activities that need boatloads of torque.

Does the Dakota need that amount of torque? I don't believe so. It's not that big of a truck and is most likely seldom asked to pull the immense loads the 5.9L is capable of.

The 4.7L seems like the perfect compromise.
  • Options
    iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    I agree with you about the F150 Supercrew. We really considered buying one but didn't for several reasons. #1 it is not available with a manual transmission, #2 it is not available with a manual transmission, #3 it is not available with a manual transmission, #4 you get the point! Price was also a consideration. Would have cost me $5500 more (dealer wasn't dealing), the step in height is kinda high for senior citizens, my mom and dad are in their late 70s. The back seat when it is folded down doesn't give you as much useful room as the Quad if you want to put in groceries or the like, and it doesn't come with a manual transmission either. ;-} Rick
    We even considered the F250 heavy duty but then you are really paying a premium. Our Quad is the perfect vehicle for "our needs" including the 4.7L V8, its the "sweetest" V8 I've ever owned. Rick ;-}
  • Options
    I guess you really like manual trannies??? :^D

I know how you feel. I think I'm gonna head back to the manual tranny when I get my next truck a few years from now. Sometimes those slushboxes just drive me CrAzY.
  • Options
    for the curious, I somehow triple posted the previous message so I scribbled 2 of them, it wasn't Meredith. Rick
  • Options
    kerrymankerryman Member Posts: 9
    I'm not getting into the "this one is bigger/faster/better" debates (altho they're fun to read), but I have question to see if anyone else knows of a similar situation.

'94 S-10 LS 4x2, 71K miles, original owner: metal shavings all through the transmission: it's shot. Need new torque converter too. Total bill: $2200. This truck has never been abused, no heavy hauling, no altitude issues, nada. Anyone else know of a GM trannie this "young" breaking down so hard?

BTW, that's it for me and GM trucks. At least over four years old.
  • Options
    Bigal31,
    You almost got me yesterday :) I deleted it and wrote my comment.

Steve234,
    I agree with you. I looked at the F-250 crew 4x4 for around $35K(order the lot didn't have any) then when I decided to look at the Supercrew 4x4 fully loaded Lariat was $34K...and they weren't dealing on either truck. They said they were doing me a favor selling them to me. Needless to say I walked. The reason I didn't buy the F-250 was I just really don't need that size of truck yet...maybe in 5 years. I don't really care for the Sport-trac plus it's based on an SUV platform. So I was left with the Dodge or Nissan. See I wanted 4 real doors. I never gave Dodge a fair shot, never even test drove it. Still wondering about their reliability...so as you know I went with the Nissan. But since I will be shopping again this time to purchase I'm watching Edmunds and using these posts as a sample of owners and their experiences. I looking at the reliability(not just Dodge but all those who make Full size) to see where it drops and increases. The next truck will be a full size, I'm hoping by that time somebody or they all come out with a 1/2 ton that can tow 10K lbs. That would make it easier for around town. Who knows, maybe!
  • Options
    I had a '94 S-10 SS blew the tranny out at 42K miles! Had toi creep to the dealer, lost first, second, torque converter the whole nine yards. My total bill including the rental car for 1 1/2 weeks was $1600. It was only $1600 because I bitched so loud they decided to do a P-50. This wasn't the dealer I bought it from plus the service manager had bought 2 boats from me in the past, so they kind of took care of me. But some of Chevy's trannies built in the '90's are scary no doubt including the full size. I also have had 2 new fan shrouds 3 pitman arms(bad design the dealer said), 1 throttle intake something rather...I definitely had some problems with it. In fact the reason I sold it was because I was close to 68K miles and I just didn't believe the truck was going to make it to 100K without anymore problems. But, I liked it it was damn fast actually at that time in '94 it was the fastest p/u(stock) the next closest was the Lightning. I would buy a Chevy again now that they have changed their trannies, I might still be skeptical about keeping it past 100K miles though, they just aren't cheap to fix like they used to be.
  • Options
    Could someone please answer the burnt oil smell in the Dakota's after a hard acceleration, I am looking into a compact truck but that smell scared the heck out of me.
  • Options
    bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    (barlitz) My Dak had that smell when I first bought it. After a Looong drive (16 hours) I have NEVER smelled it again.

I suspect that it is just the 'anti-rust' coating on the exhaust system that burns off when it gets hot. This would easilly explain why you smell it after hard accelleration.

Do not let it sway your purchase decesion... it is completely normal.
  • Options
    iwphilliwphill Member Posts: 48
    barlitz: I have a 2000 Toyota Tacoma 4x2 reg cab, and for the first 100-200 miles, it had a slight burning smell. But the dealer told me it was from the rust-proofing, and that it burns off after a little while. I haven't smelled it since.

It really wasn't over-powering or anything like that, but just the same, I'm glad it went away quickly. I'm sure it's to be expected whenever they add the protective undercoat. I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Options
    2drive2drive Member Posts: 90
    iowabigguy is not the only one who really likes M/T's. The last A/T that I bought was 30 years ago. And when I bought my Quad Cab I was willing to wait the four months that it took to order the Dakota QC with the M/T. I wanted the durability, reliability, and longevity of a M/T.

From my own experience, I put 400,000 miles on my '85 Chrysler Minivan with the M/T and never spent one dollar on maintenance of the transmission or clutch. In fact, the original fluid is still in the transmission. And at this point, I'm afraid to change the fluid (that may be the only thing that is keeping the transmission together!).

Actually, I would only buy an automatic if it were the industry's "Last Choice on Earth".
  • Options
    Rick, I read your post regarding the Ford F-150 Supercrew and did not understand it completely. My
    question is; Is the Ford F-150 Supercrew available with a manual transmission? Thank you.

Bookitty
  • Options
    c21: When I was shopping for my new truck, I talked to my favorite Ford dealer. The only options I wanted on the Supercrew was the trailer tow package, the bucket seats and the 5.4 engine. MSRP was over 29K and invoice was 26K. I bought my 01 Dakota Quad for 22K. Also when I talked to the Ford dealer he was honest about it, but he was selling every Supercrew he could get at MSRP and did not anticipate going down to near invoice soon.

bookity: The Supercrew is only available with the automatic transmission. When they packaged it, it was looked at as an upscale family truck. It comes loaded with few options. The CD player is even standard. I would say that their marketing strategy is decent, but leaves little room for the people that want a bare bones unit.
  • Options
    do I detect some subtle humor here by chance? ;-o
  • Options
    Well, if you start adding options the price is gonna go up. I'd kind of expect that.

Unfortunately, Ford isn't going to bring the lesser-equipped F150 Supercrew to the market until initial demand for the fully loaded ones decrease. They're selling all of the fully-equipped high margin vehicles at MSRP. It'll be a year or two for Ford to expand the line and the prices to come down.
  • Options
    Well, I just read the Edmund's test on the 2001 ranger not bad...a very good-looking rig. Except that flare-side(step-side), ugly! I can say so far what I've seen of the 2001 compacts the best looking so far is the Ranger. The Toyota looks like a Catfish the Nissan...well let's just say I'm glad I got the 2000. I guess well have to see if GM changes theirs, I haven't heard of any facelifts only the 4-door models as an addition, they're lagging behind in looks but better looking than the Asian pickups for 2001. In 2000, I thought Toyota has hands down the best looking truck but, whats with that little rear window? It reminds me of my '81 model I hated that small window.

The Dakota, while leaps and bounds over it's predecessor, is a good looking truck. I just really care for the way it looks like a baby version of the Ram. I would like to see it have it's own style. it makes me think that Dodge took the easy way out of redesigning it. I do think it looks better than the Tundra...which to me is a mid-size no matter what the press or the owners want to say.
  • Options
    That should read that "I don't really care for the...."

Sorry was in hurry!
  • Options
    xena1axena1a Member Posts: 286
    I thought Edmund's review of the 2001 Ranger was surprisingly luke warm. The last paragraph is interesting:

With the aggressively handsome looks and the excellent V8 of the Dodge Dakota snapping at its heels, Ford needs to further expand its line to include a more-powerful Ranger...

Hmmm. I think I'm glad I recently switched from the Mazda B3000 to the Dakota.
  • Options
    I'm just waiting for the rumored SVT Ranger. If no SVT Ranger and the SOHC Ranger doesn't prove up to the task (which I doubt after driving a SOHC Explorer Sport), the Dakota will probably be on the short list. Its higher price tag and lesser economy will be detriments, though.

Plus, that new Premium Off-Road Package Ranger looks really cool.
  • Options
    Was you impression of the SOHC in the Explorer Sport not favorable? Perhaps I misunderstood your previous post. I was just surprised that Edmunds thinks that the Ranger needs an even more powerful engine. I thought the 4.0L cammer was supposed to remedy that situation...
  • Options
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. My pops owns an Explorer Sport with the Cammer engine. It is an very quick SUV, one of the fastest (if not the fastest) non-V8 powered Sport Utes.

Considering the Ranger weighs a few hundred pounds less than the Explorer... Well, I'm sure you can do the math.

The Cammer doesn't lose any torque either. It feels just like the torquey OHV 4L until about 3K rpm. Then, it races towards the redline with OHC top-end horsepower. I think it's the best of both worlds.

As far as Edmunds thinking the Ranger needs more power, I'm not sure. What gearing were they using, 3.08s 3.55s 3.73s or 4.10s? Maybe that had something to do with it.

Maybe the reviewers were just the type-set that wants V8s and nothing less. They see a V8 alternative in the Dakota.

Or, maybe they know something and want to look like geniuses when Ford releases a V8 powered Ranger. Then, they can say "We said, V8 blah, blah, blah..."
  • Options
    Yea, who knows what inspired that last paragraph in the Edmund's review. I am very interested in seeing how the 4.0L cammer does. I had practically made up my mind to upgrade to a 2001 SOHC Ranger or Mazda (from a 3.0L Mazda) before I drove the Dakota. Then it was over. The price wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I paid just under 21K for a 2000 Dakota 4x4 Reg Cab 4.7L V8 5-speed. LSD, 3.92 axle, power windows/door locks/mirrors, H/D Service Grp, Tire and Handling Grp, Leather Wrap Steering Wheel, Skid Plate Grp, AC, Cruise, Tilt. Currently getting 16mpg all purpose driving. Hope to eventually get 17 all purpose and 20 hiway. I enjoyed the Mazda, don't get me wrong. But I really like this Dakota. Fun truck to drive.
  • Options
    Glad to hear you like your truck. It sounds like you got a good deal. I've decided to go with an ext-cab (but definately not a CC, Quad, or whatever you want to call it) in my next truck. I could really appreciate that extra cargo room w/o going to the bed.

It'll probably be a manual tranny too. Did you take a look at the shifter pic on the edmunds review. Man, that looks cool.
  • Options
    Rick, I was pulling your chain, but Steve actually
    believed me. Big mistake Steve.

Bookitty
  • Options
    Iowa State Fair is going on right now. I'm heading over that way Monday. Want to see if I can find a manure spreader to haul behind my Quad. If I find one I'm going to do a dump from all the Edmunds Forums to the spreader. Be some of the richest farm land around here when I'm done. OO Rick
    \
    ( )
  • Options
    Sorry, I forgot this wasn't the Dakota Owners Forum so I'll have to include an on topic thought here. I love my Quad, it really hauls. ;-0 Rick
This discussion has been closed.