Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Odyssey Transmission Problems

Comments

• Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Wow.
    The fact that you got it in writing is impressive, and the fact that they are replacing the transmission on this van, with this kind of mileage and age, is also rather impressive.

I would stay on the lookout though, as the design is faulty, so you may have to have another one put in in a few years or so.
  • Options
    cockcock Member Posts: 3
    Well, I figure if Honda is going to stand behind this and work thinks out, why not hang in there. Hopefully I can get another 136k out of the new tranny. Since the new tranny comes with a 3 yr 36k mile warranty-I just hope it does not die after the 36 k mark. I've owned at least 6 Honda products. I guess I have faith in Honda. I am keeping my fingers crossed though. I will keep everyone here informed on the outcome.
  • Options
    badtranny2003badtranny2003 Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 just developed tranny problems 113000 miles. Had it rebuilt at a local shop but they ran into other problems with engine idle and 2nd and 3rd gear pressure switches never got it right did not charge me and told me to take it to honda, 8 hours later worked fine. Fast forward 18 days driving down the highway it slams into 2nd gear and there it remains. Took it to honda yesterday today they told me tranny bad, I thought as much. Here is the strange part when the service manager called me to tell me that the trans. was bad she also said that anytime you change the trans you have to change the ECM (engine control module)and that Honda USA was going to pick up the tab for the ECM :confuse:, now why would Honda just give me a $800 ECM???? Could it possibly be that some thing was wrong with the ECM units that caused the trans. to fail and they fixed it in the new Ecms and they don't want the bad ones on a trans. that will be under a warranty that so they are responsible for?
  • Options
    jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Maybe they are replacing the ECM out of the generosity of their heart? Nahhh... must be what you said.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Options
    I'm thinking you're right.
    But if Honda is paying for that repair with that kind of mileage, then Honda must really be trying to go the extra mile and get these vans fixed...
  • Options
    simplygwentssimplygwents Member Posts: 2
    I'll forego all the "OH MY GOSH CAN YOU BELIEVE ALL THESE TRANSMISSION ISSUES" and "THANK GOODNESS FOR THE INTERNET AND THE POWER OF A CONSUMER NETWORK" comments. Well, there, I said it.

I have a 2003 Honda Odyssey (purchased "used" with 1200 miles on it from private party in January, 2003). Tranny issues began about 45K-50k. First service at 51,369 miles; 8/05 at NON-Honda mechanic. Second service at 59,157 at Reputable Transmission place (12/05) . Couldn't duplicate, flushed fluids again. No codes. Third service, different place, 2/06 at 60,715 Code P1491 replaced EGR sensor valve, thought ATF was too full from 2nd service, recommended to take it back. Did, they said not over-filled, checked for free. I'm happy now. Dash lights off and no transmission slipping for awhile....then about 65K, notice slipping but figure that's just the way it is. No more tranny issues serviced ... then 5/4/07, 80,200 miles, going down highway at 70mph, tranny fails...5000 rpm, stuck in 1st. I'm 100 miles from home, lone female in van, had van towed back to hometown and towed into HONDA dealer Monday morning. (Family nearby came to rescue to pick me up)

**Note, spent about 15 minutes on internet Saturday to realize all the issues/problems, Collins 12/06 Class Action Suit, Consumer Guide says warranty extended to 7 yr./100K for 2000-2003...think I'm good to go.

Now find out 2003 not covered in lawsuit and dealer makes "goodwill" offer to pay 75% of the $3500 bill for "remanufactured Honda transmission that has all the current updates incorporated". Oh and you have to make up your mind quick if you want to agree to pay as part has to be ordered by 1:00 if I want van back by Friday. I tell husband to advise to order the part and we'll pay "Under protest" until this all gets figured out. Oh.....and did I mention I was having trouble with CAR GETTING STUCK IN PARK? Now I can't get out of park and I think it's transmission related since the transmission jut failed....tell them that on Monday a.m. also. I call Honda # and ask for review assistance and get case number Monday at 4:45 p.m.

Tuesday, they call my husband to say 2 Motor mounts are bad and the "rear transmission mount" is bad and that will be another $520.

Honda service calls at 4:56 pm on Wednesday, leaves message that (abridged version) we should be thanking our lucky stars Honda is paying 75% of the bill as a goodwill gesture...yada, we pride ourselves on reliability.....call if I want to discuss further.

I read all posts here (DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THE 800+ ARCHIVED POSTS...DON'T HAVE TIME TO DEAL WITH THAT NOW).

Call Dealer to get specific codes on transmission failure. Codes are P0730 and P0780. (?????) Need to research more.
    So I ask about the "brake switch" (as other references to car getting stuck in Park refer to that)...he informs me, after I ask, that the Shift Lock Park Arm is broken (now that you mention it) and needs replacement at total cost of $155. I ask why this wasn't discovered until Thursday. Apparently service rep. had a couple days off...... Maybe I'll have my van by Saturday (when my 1 week car rental runs out....which they have refused to pay for).

I'm getting ready to call Honda Corp. back......will report more later.

I'd say my fault was not taking to dealer before failure. BUT, I also see plenty of references that say $100 to dealer to tell them they couldn't duplicate and my experience in the past has been dealers are always WAY more costly and, if you haven't figured it out by now, I'm cheap.

I'm mad. I will file complaint with NHTS site if I'm not satisfied. I'm with all the others that say this should be covered under same Class Action extended warranty but apparently it is going to take a new suit??? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Should I just thank my lucky stars for Honda's generosity and cross my fingers tranny #2 failes within the new 3 yr./36K warranty (which will be 18 months for me).???? Again, any thoughts are appreciated.
  • Options
    jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Since the 03's weren't covered under warranty, I'd say it's fairly nice of Honda to cover 75% if the cost.

That said, you sure don't expect Honda tranny problems at 45k and failure at 80k.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Options
    bobber1bobber1 Member Posts: 217
    I'd get it fixed and immediately sell or trade for a newer vehicle. You'll still get relatively good money out of that year and mileage van. Pre 2005 Hondas have faulty transmissions and the new transmission is basically going to be the same as what you just chewed through.

Honda is being generous on the fix for a van with that many miles. If you're only paying $875 (25% of the cost of the transmission), you're getting off fairly well.

Every vehicle(even Toyota's) have their issues. Be thankful you're driving a Honda as lot of other manufacturers would not be as generous.
  • Options
    is definitely not bad, especially considering that the 2003s weren't covered under the extended warranty the earlier ones (and 2002s) were.

I would replace the transmission with Honda, and get an independent mechanic to look at the other stuff.
  • Options
    stpericstperic Member Posts: 12
    I have a 1999 Honda Odyssey with 125000 miles. This van is (still is) our primary family car, and we are using it for long trips to Canada during summer (2000 miles roundtrip). I believe our van has the typical symptoms or problems described here in this forum, the time lag to engage seems greater since last year and the engagement in reverse is less smooth. I went to a transmission repair shop (Cottman) during the weekend for a free inspection, of course they said the transmission need to be rebuilt with new seals to address pressure issues for total cost of $1600-$2000.

I would like to keep my van for another 3 years/40000 miles.

Here are my options:
    1) Wait and see, hoping the best...
    2) Rebuilt my transmission (~$2K)
    3) Replace my current transmission with a rebuilt one with less mileage (~$3k)
    4) Replace my current transmission with a new one (~$4K)

What to do here? I'm not sure about the rebuilt transmission (#2)is the solution here based on the posts in this forum.
  • Options
    blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    Did you buy the car new? Or have it serviced at a Honda dealer?

I'm sure you've read the forums here about the transmission problems of '99-'04 Odysseys. You might be able to get Honda to share the burden of the repair if you have a service record.
  • Options
    with the person who posted above me; see if Honda will pay for at least some if not all the cost to install a new/rebuilt transmission.

Otherwise, with this mileage, may I suggest looking at the 2007 Odysseys? :blush:
  • Options
    I bought the car new, I didn't service the car all the time at the Honda dealers. I went 2 years ago for a recall "oil jet recall" regarding the transmission, beside the recall thay said the transmission was fine.

I will try calling Honda Corp. about this tomorrow, I don't have strong case however.
  • Options
    Stick to your guns. That oil jet recall was a bunch of crap. Our old 2003 Honda Accord had the same inspection & the tranny failed at 40k.

Honda is making good on their design error for most people. Just be a little persistant & friendly of course.
  • Options
    I do agree that the oil jet recall didn't do anything to ease the failure rates for Honda's transmissions in Pilots, Odysseys, 03 Accords, and TLs.

I would certainly stick to my guns about getting Honda to at least pay for some of it.
  • Options
    feliciatwofeliciatwo Member Posts: 68
    No, but i've seen it mentioned more and more in several owners books on what to do if you encounter this problem;Just sold my 2005 Odessey after driving 2 different Odessay's over the past 6 years. I keep waiting for them to dress up their act ...people call them "handsome";(Barbara Bush is handsome). Loved the handling etc. however, It's no longer as reliable as it used to be... This year I bought a Sienna. Same price, same options + sunroof and $2,000 less than Honda. Toyota listened to the customers and the Sienna shows it. Handles same as Oddessay only FASTER, Smoother, Quieter, and prettier.
    Good luck
    Feliciatwo
  • Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    I'll respectfully disagree on the Sienna but I think that may be taste in teh thing - and I haven't driven the new, improved Sienna. When we tested the 04s they were slower and sloppier handling than the Ody. For the most part I don't care as much about handling in a minivan but it was enough to push me to the Ody. I actually liked the old Siennas better but they were too small. The current one is certainly the right size.

Onto the actual topic... I would definitely give Honda a shot at making you happy on this.

I agree with the folks that said the oil jet thing was a crock. Had my transmission on my first Ody tested and they did the oil jet thing and another 10 or 15K and the tranny died. They replaced it and it didn't cost me a dime. Van had about half the mileage of yours, but I'm betting tehy will at least meet you half way.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    irishcaseyirishcasey Member Posts: 36
    Looks like mine is dying after 144K miles. It's a 1999. Any ideals on what the total cost to replace tranny will be and any opinions on what kind of "deal" I might expect.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    With this kind of age and mileage, I wouldn't expect anything, but I would ask Honda anyways. They seem to be pretty lenient on this issue.

I would say a new transmission (or rebuilt) would cost somewhere in the $2000 area. Not too sure...
  • Options
    rodiemirodiemi Member Posts: 1
    veenstra56,
    I have a honda odyssey 02 with the same problem (P0730) with 83k miles.
    I used the link to check if the van is covered and I received this message back "This vehicle is not covered under the Settlement."
    Now my questions is if my van still covering for this problem?
    Thanks....rodiemi
  • Options
    ody02tjkody02tjk Member Posts: 66
    We also have a 2002 Ody EX-L. Tranny failed back in November 2006. After getting little satisfaction from dealer, I escalated to Honda of North America. Open a ticket with them. They covered all costs but the shipping of the transmission. It took nearly 3 weeks to complete, but we only paid $102 for shipping, vs $4500 quoted for te repair. It helps if you have had prior Honda's, and have been doing service at the dealer.
  • Options
    erubin1erubin1 Member Posts: 1
    I strongly agree that it's worth calling. We have a 2000
    Odyssey with 124K miles. The car was recently diagnosed by
    my local service shop with a transmission problem. Based
    on all of your mails I contacted American Honda on Friday,
    was told to bring it to a dealer to get it looked at which I did yesterday, they confirmed that the transmission needs to be replaced the same day, and was called by Honda today that they will cover the cost of the parts. I feel good about how quickly they responded and the fact that they are willing to cover the bulk of the cost.

What's interesting, though not surprising, is how
    aggressive the dealer is to do the work. The quote was $5K so I'm sure they'll make a nice profit. In fact, they already ordered the parts without getting confirmation from me that they I wanted them to do the work.
  • Options
    Wow. I find that amazing that Honda will cover a transmission with that many miles. Very few other manufactures would. That says a lot about the company.
  • Options
    rjmdrjmd Member Posts: 1
    We've got a 2002 EX and last July @ 113k miles it started shifting stangely. So we took it to our local Honda dealer here in Louisville where they said we needed a new tranny. Cost was nearly $5000. I was in absolute shock, because like others, we didn't buy the extended warranty. So we went to a local reputable tranny shop where we had the tranny rebuilt for $2400. Now with just over 134k miles, the rebuilt tranny has been shifting weird from 1st to 2nd. The shop warranties for 1 yr or 18k miles, whichever comes first. So I'm hosed with 21k miles put on it in less than 1 yr. Hoping the shop will work with me on repairs. The vast majority of the miles is hwy miles, so I'm really bummed out about this.
  • Options
    Too bad you didn't talk to Honda national. From what's been posted here they've been very good at covering transmissions even on vehicles with that many miles.
  • Options
    Maybe you should have tried asking Honda Corporate to cover the cost of the transmission- Honda has been known to pay for transmissions in cases where the van had a significant number of miles.

You could always try going back to Honda; the problem with the transmission is in the design, so even if you rebuild it, you are still getting a faulty one to begin with.
  • Options
    pgnagelpgnagel Member Posts: 60
    I would be interested in hearing what you find regarding your van. I also have a 1999 with 132,000 miles. The tranny is starting to develop some strange habits, despite my vigorous servicing schedule.

Thanks,

Paul
  • Options
    I have noticed that the A/T fluid was a little bit low. I decided to replace the A/T fluid and then the problem is gone for now...
  • Options
    emitchellemitchell Member Posts: 2
    I too am displeased that the 2007 Odyssey transmission allows the van to roll backwards on a slight incline when going from park to drive. This is my forth Odyssey, I have owned (all new) a 2002, 2002, 2005 and now a 2007. This is the only Odyssey that has this problem. I disagree that this is not a problem. When I stop in the driveway to get my mail at a box at the street. it will roll back in to the street when I go to drive if I don't put on the brakes. I say this is not normal. Have not had a chance to take back to the dealer yet.
  • Options
    emitchellemitchell Member Posts: 2
    A typo, the Odysseys I have purchased are a 2000, 2002, 2005 and a 2007.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    mine (an '05) will do this slightly on an incline. If it bothers you, use the brake .

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    richbaker1richbaker1 Member Posts: 1
    Please Help. I have a 2002 Honda Odyssey. When I drive the car and it gets warm after 5-10 miles I get a Flashing D on the shift indicator. I have heard the transmission miss shift once. I contacted my local dealer after reading my owners manual that said to contact the dealer. The dealer stated the light was flashing because I need a "D Service".

The Dealer stated that the D service included checking my exhaust system, checking my wipers, changing the transmission fluid, and ect.

I called America Honda today to see if the dealer was just trying to get me to pay $436.00 for something I can do in my drive way and my local lube shop.

Honda said I should take it in for the service and it was due at 60,000 miles. I purchased the van at 70,000 miles. I now have 75,000 miles on the van.

Honda stated that there was a recall and that the problem was repaired and the warranty was 3 years 36,0000 on the transmission.

I told Honda that I have been reading on the web that Honda has extended the transmission warranty to 7 years 100,000 miles on the 2002. The person on the phone laughed and said the recall was taken care of and your van has no warranty. I said it's 5 years old with 75,000 miles and it needs a new transmission and it's a Honda? Wow I thought Honda was quality and hung up.

What should I do, act like i'm going to put in a new transmission at the dealer for $5500 and hope Honda does the right thing?

Am I missing something from these web pages?

Does someone have the truth on how this all works?
    Please let me know.

Thanks
  • Options
    First off, the whole "D Service" thing is a load of crap. If you did that 60K service, the flashing D light would probably still be there.

Second of all, it sounds like you need a new transmission, but to be safe, I would start with a transmission flush first. If a new batch of ATF doesn't solve the problem, then you need the new transmission. If the Honda dealer you visit won't do the necessary paperwork for you and get it done for free, find another one that will. The transmission problems are extremely well documented, and Honda has replaced transmissions on Odysseys older and with far more mileage than yours. If you scroll back a few pages, you will find lots and lots of people that have had their transmission replaced at no or reduced cost, so you theoretically should have no problems getting a transmission.

Whatever you do, DO NOT PAY THE DEALERSHIP THE $5500 for a replacement.
  • Options
    GO TO THIS LINK YOUR CAR IS PART OF A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT

link title
  • Options
    gadzooks64gadzooks64 Member Posts: 1
    I mentioned this to my service guy at Honda, because mine has a horrible delay with the transmission going from Reverse to Drive. I was told this was normal for transmissions these days.

I don't believe it for a second. My 2000 Odyssey never had this problem and I can't believe that they have changed them enough that this would be normal and acceptable.
  • Options
    bob8568bob8568 Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem with my '03 Odyssey and had it fixed under warranty. I assume you are out of the warranty period, but you may want to contact your Honda dealer and if your regularly see them, they may fix the problem for free. This is a fairly common problem and I believe fix is relatively easy.
  • Options
    sonofknudsonofknud Member Posts: 50
    I'm having the same horrible delay with the 2007 Odyssey. So far I have had it in 3 times and they say it is normal. Had an 06 Odyssey and didn't have the problem. Something bad has happened to the 07 Odyssey. Having brake issues also going for the 5th time and haven't been addressing the transmission. Anyone getting anywhere? :lemon:
  • Options
    mattgordymattgordy Member Posts: 5
    I'm glad I found this forum to see that others have the same problem as myself.

I have a 2002 with 77k and the same problems happened yesterday driving on the freeway. The transmission had trouble shifting gears almost feeling like the clutch was slipping from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd. etc with the rpm racing to 4k, etc. The TCS light came on and the D was flashing along with the engine light. Today the car was fine...no slipping or anything. My local mechanic reset the computer so the engine light is now off, but I think this is only the beginning after reading about other horror stories.
    My problem is I bought the car used 3 years ago with 29k on it in MA with no extended warranty. Now I live in So. CA. with no dealer to talk to. Do I call Honda North America directly and explain the situation? I would gladly pay $700 for labor and whatever dealer can put in a new transmission. I don't happen to have $5k right now.

Please advise.
  • Options
    Take the van to a local Honda dealer and explain the situation. If the dealership is a good one, they will start the paperwork process for a replacement. If they aren't a good one, they'll quote you $4,000 or so. I would also contact Honda North America and get a case file opened.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. Does anyone have a number for Honda North America with an actual name as a contact person?
  • Options
    My local Honda dealer handled all the paperwork, so all I have is a receipt stating I paid for the labor to install the transmission.

But people have had varying levels of helpfulness with different case managers/dealerships. Look around. Eventually you should find one that helps.
  • Options
    pgnagelpgnagel Member Posts: 60
    Have you serviced the transmission? I have a 1999 Odyssey with 138,000 miles, and I service the transmission as often as I service the engine oil. My symptoms are late shifting/high revving before shifting, and clunky downshifts into 1st as I slow to a stop while navigating a downhill grade.

These trannys are very sensitive to fluid level and condition. If you have wrenches you can service it yourself for about $25.00. Use only Honda ZF-1 fluid. It's pricey at $6.00+ per quart, and you have to go to a dealer to get it, but if you go with anything else I bet Honda won't back you up on the warranty.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Paul N
  • Options
    Thank you so much everyone who has responded. I will try calling today to start the process.
  • Options
    I want to thank everyone for their great input and advice. I took the car to my local Honda dealer in North Hollywood and I also called Honda North America 800 number. I don't know who talked to who, but the dealer is going to install a brand new transmission with 12k/1 year warranty for free, labor included. The dealer said they checked on the history of the vehicle and said I routinely maintenanced the car and they would replace it for free.

I usually think things that are too good to be true usually are, but in this case it is hard to believe.
  • Options
    Congratulations on the free transmission!
  • Options
    gavanmomgavanmom Member Posts: 32
    After weeks of noise, our dealer is changing out our transmission for a new one with less than 3300 miles. There is an output shaft vibration that has been making noise when it hits a certain gear. This is the third time in the shop and I was ready to hit the lemon law forums to take that route. They are being great about it, but it sure sucks to have a brand new almost 30K van and have to get a new transmission!
    Anyone have transmission issues with a brand new car?
    Guess it's good that they stand by it and replace it under warranty. I'm also glad I bought the 120000 mile extended!
  • Options
    ducky6x2ducky6x2 Member Posts: 1
    The Honda guys have been good to us so far too, but don't think you are getting a "new" transmission. They use re-built transmissions. I have a 2000 Odyssey LX and they put the first rebuilt transmission in at 40K in 2004. The warranty was extended to 100K because of the class action suit and all the problems. The second rebuilt transmission in at 80K in July 2006, the third re-built transmission in July 2007...That is 4 transmissions in our 2000 Odyssey we bought new. My friend has the same model, year and even the same color and never had a problem. But, when the 100K rolls around, that is it... no more free transmissions. We have to get a new car now before that happens, too bad because otherwise I LOVE my Odyssey!!
  • Options
    33dad33dad Member Posts: 1
    Well, I got bit too!! 58,000 miles on an'02 and it won't go over 20mph. Called local Honda dealer, stated my problem, took it in and they called the next day with good news. Replaced transmission, no charge 12mo, 12k mile warranty.
    As far as rebuilt trans...they told me the outside casing is not new, but the insides are all new. I have to admit I have never been to a car dealership that was so willing to help me get this done. I am in shock. I live in central Florida, its my wifes vehicle we use for baseball, football etc. Dogs love it to. I have a Toyota and have never been treated as well in their dealerships. :)
  • Options
    ody02tjkody02tjk Member Posts: 66
    Consider yourself very lucky with your 02. Last November, with only 63K miles, the tranny went on our 02 Ody, and it took 3+ weeks, plus mulitple calls to Honda of North America to get our MD dealer to cover our replacement transmission in full. We had to pay to have the transmission shipped ($125), but I had to repeatedly escalate the problem to get it covered. Honda knows they have issues with the O2 transmissions as well. For the 2002 year, they added a gear to the transmission, and raised the HP of the car. One thing you should ask for is for a longer coverage on your replacement transmission. Honda gave is a 3 year, 36 month transmission coverage.
  • Options
    gfritzegfritze Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how many transmissions are failing on the 2002 Odyssey? Mine just failed after 54,000 miles. Honda is paying for part of it, but I thought I had 100,000 mile warranty from the dealer, but because I did three oil changes on my own in the five years I have the van, they said I voided their warranty. I just had the transmission serviced in June 2006,complete fluid flush as recommended by the dealer's maintenance chart and now 13,000 miles later the third gear fell out. How can we find out the number of failures to prove this is a design flaw? The dealer said there is no trouble with this year's transmission. Everything was fixed in 2001.