Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Volvo C70 New Owner Reports

Comments

• redbuzzredbuzz Posts: 57
    I'm trying to find out about the location of the front center speakers in C70s having both Dynaudio stereo and the Navigation system. Does the nav screen in the closed position partially cover the speakers? According to the '07 brochure there should be a single 5" speaker and a single 1" tweeter in the dashboard.
  • johnh7johnh7 Posts: 67
    I thought I kind of answered this for you in that other thread. The NAV system sits IN the speaker and it is situated near the rear of that speaker. 100% of the speaker is exposed when the NAV pop up is closed. When it's up, maybe 98% of the speaker sits to the side and in front of the screen. The sound is not impeded.

The wrap around speaker is actually a little rounded and a little raised. The NAV system sits down in it maybe an eighth of an inch. Again - it's very nice looking and the speaker is part of a system that can literally blow you out of your seat if that's what you want.

The only negative I've found with the NAV system is the CD ROM box that holds the GPS discs takes up 50% of the space of the glove compartment - but - it's got to go somewhere and there are other front compartments to use for storage of small items.
  • cuccicucci Posts: 49
    ... sounds like you strongly believe that this is the roof mechanism causing problems for you and Cricket4 ..... ???? Has anyone NOT yet had a problem with their car I wonder?? Anyway .. as soon as the rain and the hurricane winds depart the UK (sometime around July hopefully!) I will see what happens when our roof comes down again!!!
  • That's the problem here too. The ice storm we just had four days ago and snow storm we are getting in two days have prevented me from dropping top. Who would have figured such weather in Oklahoma. I'm going to post in "Road Trip" about how the C70 rides after an ice storm...
  • empty1empty1 Posts: 109
    I did not order my C70 with the Nav. I'm having second thoughts on this and wondered whether the Nav can be installed by the dealer. Does anyone know and what is the cost. thanks. :shades:
  • I suspect the roof simply because I feel I have eliminated all other reasonable possibilities. I was operating the roof to show my neighbours - one a 1st gen C70 owner, the other a Renault Megane CC owner - and when the roof closed they both commented on the indentation - believing it to be something I knew about. Yes, It's something which I may have overlooked before, but as it's right before my eyes, everytime I open the door, I really don't think I would have been that blind.

My own inspection of the roof when open (stowed in the trunk but elevated to the raised position) revealed a hexagonal headed bolt directly opposite the indentation on the inside of the panel stored directly above it, however, the indentation was definitely NOT hexagonal in profile, so, again, it's not conclusive.

But what I am pleased about was the fact that, despite all the intricacies of the roof mechanism, these guys got in there and sorted it - yesss!
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    I did not order my C70 with the Nav. I'm having second thoughts on this and wondered whether the Nav can be installed by the dealer. Does anyone know and what is the cost. thanks

No, Nav cannot be dealer installed.
  • jtregojtrego Posts: 68
    Well, hopefully we can soon officially join the ranks of new members here. It is fascinating to hear about all the intricate idiosyncrasities with this car. It's like watching my favorite episode of the X-files, all these unexplained issues and all. We even have the obsessed and passionate Agent Mulder (erisaman)and Agent Scully (okay, that could be a number of you skeptical ladies!)

All joking aside, our own adventure with this car began with finding the car! Volvo was indeed holding it hostage in Sweden at the plant. Not really sure of the reason, but I was told something about an update for the cars with the manual trans. I still wonder if they just forgot to ship it. Nevertheless, it left UK today (wave cucci and erisaman) and is en route to Canada to subseqently end up in Brunswick,GA on 1/31. That, of course, is barring the possibility that it may disappear in some type of Bermuda Triangle in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. If all goes well, we can take delivery Feb 2 or 3.

Now,with all the horrible weather you guys in the UK have had and cricket has had in the Midwest...we are certain that winter will come to the Mid Atlantic with the arrival of our beloved C70. Afterall, the government is manipulating our weather so we can't drive our convertibles all over the place all year round using endless amounts of fossil fuels.

I can't wait to tell all of you stories about sitting in the car in the garage, imagining the summer wind blowing in our hair like erisaman! Or how well the car performs in the wind and the rain and the sleet and the snow. For hopefully, we are all seeing the beauty of this car, that it is truly 2 cars in one. Nevertheless, I am certain that Agents Mulder and Scully have a file burried somewhere deep in their basement titled "Volvo C70."

Most importantly, remember, as our French corespondent/agent will tell us: "Trust No One!" because Volvo will always have plausible deniability.
    Of course, you realise you are mad??? Completely and utterly (but delightfully) mad?!! You hear all our problems and you still love and want the car?!!!! I think we have all been selected as C70 owners by some divine higher being .... selected because we are all completely insane!! I guarantee owning your new car will NEVER be boring!!! Roll on February 2nd/3rd and we look forward to hearing your adventures!! Well done!
  • Uh oh, colleagues. I'm afraid jtrego knows too much. You know what that means... ;) You are so going to love your car and this whole waiting period (repair period, for some of us) is going to be a faint memory once you get in your car for even a short ride.
  • Cue Bond-type music, Agent Mulder strokes his Walther PPK to the words "Vee haf vays of making you valk - the Volvo C70 will haf you on your feet in no time!" :shades:

Congrats jtrego - you have waited many moons for this motor, hopefully strong winds and ice storms are a thing of the past for you and your C70 will be in 'cruise control' all the way to Brunswick. Enjoy.
  • How soon after purchase did you apply the Zaino? What products did you use? I want the very best for my soon-to-be new C70, and am now starting to get prepared for its arrival.
  • tmarttmart Spring, TXPosts: 1,383
    You can start right away. Today's finishes don't need to wait for the paint to cure. I just use ZFX, Z2 and Z6. Did not feel the need to clay since the car as new, but that will be your call. Have not regretted it.
  • tom007tom007 Posts: 40
    In my 2006 C70, the power outlets (2) are one in center console next to top up and down buttons and one in right rear of trunk.
  • tom007tom007 Posts: 40
    tmart:

Have you checked it out with dealer about paint not having to cure on C70? My owners manual says on page 148 on 06 C70.
    "We do not recommend washing your car in an automatic wash during the first six months(because the paint will not have hardened sufficiently)" That is quote word for word.

I did mine by hand for the seven months and then applied a coat of wax as the paint should have been cured by that time.

There is also a WARNING from Volvo in manual on page 149 that they do not recommend paint protection coatings that may claim to prevent fading, oxidation etc. They say that those coatings have NOT been tested by Volvo for compatibility with their clear coat and could cause it to soften, crack or cloud which may not be covered under your vehicle's paint warranty.

Hope this helps someone, however maybe the 2007 is different type of paint and clear coat. Happy Motoring if the weather ever clears up.

I have gone by their instructions as I have never owned a Volvo before and therefore will do as they say while under warranty.
    Yes it mentions not to use an automatic car wash, but you should HAND wash as needed:

Washing and cleaning the car
    Washing the car
    The following points should be kept in mind when washing and cleaning the car:

The car should be washed at regular intervals since dirt, dust, insects and tar spots adhere to the paint and may cause damage. To help prevent corrosion, it is particularly important to wash the car frequently in the wintertime.
    Avoid washing your car in direct sunlight. Doing so may cause detergents and wax to dry out and become abrasive. To avoid scratching, use lukewarm water to soften the dirt before you wash with a soft sponge, and plenty of sudsy water.
    Bird droppings: Remove from paintwork as soon as possible. Otherwise the finish may be permanently damaged.
    A detergent can be used to facilitate the softening of dirt and oil.
    A water-soluble grease solvent may be used in cases of sticky dirt. However, use a wash place equipped with a drainage separator.
    Dry the car with a clean chamois and remember to clean the drain holes in the doors and rocker panels.
    Tar spots can be removed with kerosene or tar remover after the car has been washed.
    A stiff-bristle brush and lukewarm soapy water can be used to clean the wiper blades. Frequent cleaning improves visibility considerably.
    Wash off the dirt from the underside (wheel housings, fenders, etc).
    In areas of high industrial fallout, more frequent washing is recommended.
    After cleaning the engine, the spark plug wells should be inspected for water and blown dry if necessary.

Look right above the CAUTION and you'll see:

Polishing and Waxing

Normally, polishing is not required during the first year after delivery, however, waxing may be beneficial.
    Before applying polish or wax the vehicle must be washed and dried. Tar spots can be removed with kerosene or tar remover. Difficult spots may require a fine rubbing compound.
    After polishing use liquid or paste wax.
    Several commercially available products contain both polish and wax.
    Waxing alone does not substitute for polishing a dull surface.
    A wide range of polymer-based waxes can be purchased today. These waxes are easy to use and produce a long-lasting, high-gloss finish that protects the bodywork against oxidation, road dirt and fading.
    Do not polish or wax your vehicle in direct sunlight (the surface of the vehicle should not be warmer than 113° F (45° C).

What they say to avoid is the stuff some dealers try to push on the buying public. I've heard of claims to last 5 years or more. With Zaino you'll have no problems. It's the only thing on my 99.
  • Dry the car with a clean chamois and remember to clean the drain holes in the doors and rocker panels.

This may be a stupid question (it's never stopped me before) but where are the drain holes in the doors and rocker panels located? Anyone?
    They're on the bottom of the doors and rocker panels. Under normal circumstances I don't know how they would get clogged, but it is important they stay open so rain water and car washing water doesn't stay inside the body and doors. Would definitely cause rust over time.

Also for drying, either micro fiber towels or 100% USA cotton towels, IMO, are better than chamois.

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.
  • There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers

Good response - nice one!
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 3,362
    You also may want to consider Zaino Z5 if you have a darker color. Z2 is for the ultimate shine, Z5 helps hide light scratches and swirl marks.

On my '05 Abyss Blue TL, after the New England winters, I usually start with a couple of coats of Z5 and then start the Z2 (w/Z6 in between, of course!). Great stuff, smells good too! Someone at worked last week complemented me on my shiny new TL!

The Zainostore website explains all...

'13 Jaguar XF, possibly my favorite of all the cars I've owned. But, my '09 Jag XK was a beauty, as was my '05 Acura TL, '88 Acura Integra, '84 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo & '78 VW Scirocco (my first!). And, of course, the '92 Nissan Sentra SE-R and '95 Saab 900s I bought for the ex... Ok, I like a lot of the cars in my life.

I think this might apply to European owners who find themselves parking in the road along the kerb (I think US is more parking lots etc??) Anyway ..... Sunday lunch tradition of going to the pub and parking the car proudly outside pub door ... other half drove and as he opened the door to exit parked against a VERY low kerb (3 inches high max) the car door scraped nicely along the pavement (sidewalk) as he tried to exit!!! You probably heard his screeching cry of woe on the West Coast as he did so!!! He nearly had kittens!!! Only scraped the paint off the bottom of the door luckily .... but just goes to show how low the car is (and neither of us weighs that much!!) .. so beware if you do find yourselves parking alongside a kerb!
  • lemennlemenn Posts: 89
    Well done cucci!

It makes me laugh even if I am sure it is different on your side.

This is typical with Coupe. They have big doors and this is always a risk you take particularly in a street with steep slopes. It can happen even in USA believe me... San Francisco is a good place to test this exercice.

Another one I tried few years ago was:
    Arrived alone and parked correctly, of course along a curb.
    Meet with some friends and decide to go somewhere else.
    Ask your friends to sit on the back seats and passenger seat, still everything is fine, the front passenger can close his/her door. So you are confident.
    Now you sit in the driver seat and Oh! surprise there is no way you can close the driver door... My weight being just enough (and me too I am not that big...)to stuck the bottom of the driver door into the pavement...
    The only way being to exit the car, ask your friends to exit the car, you pull the car out the freeking spot, ask your friends to enter the car again, now you can leave...
    And you have a scratch at the bottom of the door even if you thought you were really smart to find this nice parking spot.
    Thank you Lemenn!! A problem shared is a problem halved ... as the saying goes!!!!! My other half was just recovering well .. and then his football team went and lost to Arsenal just now ..... so I am about to pour him a large glass of wine!!!! Happy Sunday!!!!! Hope all is well with you and car ..... and thanks again!
    Not sure - but after 1500 miles 1. no rattles 2. no paint chips 3. no software bugs 4. highly satisfactory dealer experience.

The car has been great so far. My one complaint is rear seat access. The front seat backs don't tilt forward enough so it's a squeeze for most adults (or even to slide stuff back there). It's great for me but no one should think this is a family car. We take the other car when we go out with another couple.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    The front seats do slide forward pretty far.
    However, it is NOT a family car.
    Max - I was talking about the seat backs and they don't tilt forward more than a few inches. I was trying to put a small suitcase in the back seat that belonged to someone I was giving a lift to the other day (and I mean small) and I had to put the back window down to get it to fit in. If you could tilt it forward to rest against the steering wheel (for example) you could actually create enough space to slide something (including a not so nimble adult) in there much more easily.
  • However, it is NOT a family car.

That is probably why Kickingtires named it the Empty-Nester's Car of the Year. (Just comfortable enough for two in the front.) My dogs do okay back there but the covered cup holders make a great "bridge" for them to walk back and forth. I now have seatbelt harnesses for them. Too dangerous to let them roam around. I don't think it's a family car either (unless there are only two in the family).
    My 1st gen is a true 4 passenger car. My sons have repeatedly said there is more head room in my C70 (top up) than my wife's 00 ES300. Their heads touch the top in the ES, and they have to scrunch down in back. I guess it has to do with the 1st gen being based on the S70 platform versus the 2nd gen on the S40 platform.
    It's actually not bad with 4 in the car. Getting them in and out is the challenge
    I think all your positive points far outweigh the back seat scenario .... and none of us got the car because we loved the back seats I believe!? It sounds like you are pleased and that is great to hear! I actually refused to take some elderly folks in the back of mine because I was more worried that someone who is not that fit would actually strain their back getting in or out. It's a great two seater with room to carry two extra passengers on the odd occasion. I think a long journey in the back would also be too claustrophobic for me ... but that was understood in the showroom before we bought it.