Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Are Mazda/manufacturer lease deals worth taking?

rbrianheathrbrianheath Member Posts: 9
edited July 2020 in Mazda
About to jump in to a lease for the second time and needed some reminders. In general, are lease deals offered through the manufacturer as good as it's going to get for that model/trim? Can/should you attempt to negotiate further beyond a lease deal? Is it better to stay away from these types of deals and just attempt negotiation separately?

More specifically, this is one I'm potentially looking at - https://www.mazdausa.com/shopping-tools/special-offers-and-incentives#year=2020&modelCode=CX5&type=lease&index=0

2020 CX-5 Sport
$249 a month / 36 months
$2,999 due at signing. Lease example based on vehicle MSRP of $25,190 plus $1,100 destination charge. Payment based on capitalized cost of $23,355. Purchase option at lease end for $ 14,405 plus tax.
zip 60641

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681

About to jump in to a lease for the second time and needed some reminders. In general, are lease deals offered through the manufacturer as good as it's going to get for that model/trim? Can/should you attempt to negotiate further beyond a lease deal? Is it better to stay away from these types of deals and just attempt negotiation separately?

More specifically, this is one I'm potentially looking at - https://www.mazdausa.com/shopping-tools/special-offers-and-incentives#year=2020&modelCode=CX5&type=lease&index=0

2020 CX-5 Sport
    $249 a month / 36 months
    $2,999 due at signing. Lease example based on vehicle MSRP of $25,190 plus $1,100 destination charge. Payment based on capitalized cost of $23,355. Purchase option at lease end for $ 14,405 plus tax.
    zip 60641

Those are just advertisements. You'll be shocked at the actual offers you will get from dealers. And, not in a good way.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• rbrianheathrbrianheath Member Posts: 9
    I guess the first time I leased the dealership gave me the impression that they didn't dip much below those ads for that model/trim? Is that wrong?
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,955

I guess the first time I leased the dealership gave me the impression that they didn't dip much below those ads for that model/trim? Is that wrong?

With some decent negotiation skills, you ought to be able to match or beat the advertised deal.

But, most every ad will stipulate "$2499 due at signing .... doesn't include fees and taxes". Our recommendation is to not make a down payment on a lease - after all, you're just renting the car for 3 years.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

edited July 2020
    Thanks for the reply!
    Michaell said:

But, most every ad will stipulate "$2499 due at signing .... doesn't include fees and taxes". Our recommendation is to not make a down payment on a lease - after all, you're just renting the car for 3 years.

I’ve also read that you should pay some of the fees and taxes upfront, as lumping them in means you’re paying interest on taxes? So that would mean some kind of down payment, right? Which direction do you go?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681

Thanks for the reply!

Michaell said:

I’ve also read that you should pay some of the fees and taxes upfront, as lumping them in means you’re paying interest on taxes? So that would mean some kind of down payment, right? Which direction do you go?
    Paying finance charges on items rolled in isn't that relevant. What you want to do is avoid paying taxes on non-taxable government fees. So, you can roll the tax amount in, as it isn't re-taxed (in IL). But, DMV fees you should pay upfront, as those will be subject to sales tax, if you roll them in.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Understood. Much appreciated!