Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda B-Series Transmission Problems

KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
This is the place to downshift and discuss your B-truck's malfunctioning tranny

kcram - Pickups Host

Comments

• fikaafikaa Member Posts: 2
    I have a 04 B3000 which has recently started having problems that I believe are either in the transmission (automatic) or U-joints. Sporadically between 1st and 2nd gear, there is a thunking which comes from underneath the truck. At times 1st gear just keeps revving and doesn't seem to want to shift and when it does there is quite a jolt when it does due to the thunking. Almost feels like someone has jammed the back of the truck. I have had it checked by the Madza dealer who greased/oiled/and checked all fluids etc, and THEN took it for a test drive. Guess what? They didn't find anything wrong. This is still happening, it is not on a daily basis and all they tell me is that there seems to be a problem with the B series drive line which causes this. But if they are not in the vehicle when it happens then they can't help me. I live 1 1/2 hours from the dealer, one way. Can anyone give me some thoughts on what may be the problem? Has anyone else had this problem? Is there any sort of recall? I cannot locate any info. Please advise. Thanks.
  • dmancinidmancini Member Posts: 1
    Funny I have a 2000 mazda truck doing exactly the same thing
    must be a defect in manufactoring clunking when switching from second to third gear and sometimes winding out and jerking the truck when changing gears.
  • rx4riskrx4risk Member Posts: 1
    Driving down the road, the ABS light started flashing, I pulled up to a stop light, put the truck in park and turned the engine off. Started the truck again, and couldn't get the transmission out of park. When the ABS light started flashing, I could smell faintly what could've been an electrical short under the dash. Please help, I have no money to fix my truck and need to get to work. Thanks, Josh
  • fikaafikaa Member Posts: 2
    Not quite sure about the "stuck in park" situation. Here's what came out of my problems. Since my truck was still under warrenty, I kept taking it back into the original shop. After the third time in, they found that there was a defective part in the transmission which caused the shifting between the gears to not correlate. The truck had started to really wind up before shifting and would make quite a thunking noise when shifting, then little lights would flash and not go off until the truck was turned off. The dealer had to order a part for correction but I just traded the problem in for a nice Dodge Magnum! Good luck. Hopefully your truck is under a warrenty.
  • froggyinlafroggyinla Member Posts: 1
    I have an standard 01 Mazda B2500. While driving down the road both rear wheels locked up and it got stuck in 4th gear. Could not get out of gear until finally after rocking the truck back and forth it came out of gear and was able to shift. But drove about 1/4 mile and it did same thing. Still was able to get out of gear again. What would cause this?
  • miket10miket10 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 1992 Mazda B series for my daughter and the transmission is bone dry.The guy I got it from just changed out the clutch and,for some reason didn't check to make sure the Salvage yard Tranny that he also replaced,had gear oil in it.
    So when it made a funny noise upon starting it up he decided to sell it.
    But,for some reason,I can not find a book or a person with the know how to tell me How Much Gear Oil does it take.I would really appreciate any help

The truck has also been lowered and now has 17" tires on it.The rims are 1200.00 not bad considering I got the truck for 500.00.Question is will the speed-o be off and how bad?Sorry guys but,I have no Idea and,I'm counting on your help.Thanks a million up front.
  • jclark5jclark5 Member Posts: 5
    i have a 2000 mazda b3000 with 100000 miles on it. last week it starting shifting into second gear really hard, and when it shifts into overdrive the overdrive off light on the dash starts flashing. if you turn the truck off and restart it the light no longer flashes. any ideas anyone
  • rceronrceron Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 b2300 that when the rpm reach around 3300-3500 it stalls wheather it is in any gear or in neutral, like it where hinting the rev limiter. i can not be sure of the rpms because the truck does not have an RPM gauge. but i know it is not hitting the rev limiter because it will do the same if 5th gear and the speed of the truck goes below 50 or 4th gear and goes below 40 and so on. I thought it was the speed sensor but i changed it and no change, I believe it is an electrical problem but have no idea where to start. anyone seen this before?
  • tanker41tanker41 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry, I don't have the solution. I am hoping that you have found out what was wrong. My 2001 B300 with 123,000 miles on it just developed the same problem today. Any info you have would be great. Thanks
  • jclark5jclark5 Member Posts: 5
    i still do not have my transmission fixed. i changed the fluid and the filter and it did not help at all. I also checked my u joints and they are fine. over on the ford ranger forum there are many people who have the same problem with there transmisson. one said they had it serviced and the dealer could not find anything. im going to take mine to a shop to see if they can find anything. if you find out anything about yours let me know. it must be a simple problem because i still drive mine 75 miles a day with no problems other than the light flashing and the hard shift from first to second
  • tanker41tanker41 Member Posts: 2
    I do not have good news for you! I took my truck to a very highly recommended trans shop that we have never heard anything negative about . The diagnosis on the
    2001 Madza B300 was that the servo was melted and that meant the transmission needed rebuilt. They rebuilt it and put in a new converter at the cost of $1391.00 .
    Good news is that the truck is running like brand new.The tech said that it had a ford transmission and that when they built the rangers and mazda trucks that they put the exhaust too close to the transmission and that it heats up and over time, melts the servo. He sees it all the time. Hope this info is helpful to you.
  • jayk5jayk5 Member Posts: 1
    Lately, after driving the truck for awhile then stopping in traffic, it sometimes will not shift out of neutral until the truck is turned off and restarted. The problem happens more frequently now, and sometimes restarting doesn't work the first time anymore. Anyone have a similar problem/idea for what it is/solution?
  • phxmsphxms Member Posts: 1
    Were you ever able to find out what the problem was? My 2000 B3000 started doing the same thing this week.
  • fanofsaintsfanofsaints Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 Mazada B3000 automatic transmission. It will not go anywhere if I start off in Drive. I have to start off in 2nd gear then put in Drive after I get going. I have changed the transmission filter and the fluids and still have the same problem. are there any suggestions?
  • madscotsmanmadscotsman Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get to the bottom of this issue. I have a Y2000 B2500 that is hard shifting from 1st to 2nd and over-revving occasionally between shifts.
    Rebuild recommended so far, but I don't want to throw money at it if it is something easy to repair.
  • spinner222spinner222 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 mazda b2500 automatic transmission which just a couple of days ago started doing the exact same thing. Won't move in drive but put it in second is fine and when I get going drive is fine but when I stop have to shift back to second to go. Were you able to get yours fixed and if so please tell me what you had to do.
  • fanofsaintsfanofsaints Member Posts: 2
    Was not able to figure it out. Tried replacing the solenoid and a couple of other small things. I am going to have it rebuilt by a mechanic if possible.
  • decepticondecepticon Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 B3000 with the manual transmission, and recently the tranny has been making a soft scraping noise, I thought that I may have been low on transmission fluid, lo and behold I was. On my way to work today, though,coming to a stop light, i pushed the clutch in and pressed the brakes only to have the truck come to a really rough stop and fight me the whole time the light was red. Not exactly sure what to do at this point. Any suggestions?
  • renaeb2000renaeb2000 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 Mazda B 4000 LE 4x4 and today I was driveing it and it was fine until I arrived at my last stop before heading home I went to park and my truck kinda lurched forward and died out.When I started it back up it runs fine until I try to put it in Reverse or drive than it lurchase forward and dies out. we finally got it started in N and a couple of us started to push it to gain some speed kinda like starting a manual car, instead this is an automatic we proceeded to put it in to low gear and the truck took off and drove fine until comeing to a stop than it wanted to die out if I would have stopped. I have asked many sites about this and it keeps coming back tto the torque converter, but some Non mechanice men (No offense guys) keep telling me its the transmission. So could some one please clairify this for me so I do not spend a fortune repl;
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    A bad Torque Converter Clutch is not a bad guess, but of course only a "guess". It does relate to your symptoms, however:

http://www.freeasestudyguides.com/automatic-transmission-tcc-torque-converter-clutch.html

If you can locate the torque converter clutch solenoid and temporarily disconnect it, and if by doing that your symptoms go away, then the solenoid is probably sticking and not allowing lock-up to release (same as not depressing the clutch on a manual transmission car when you come to a stop). So you stall.

Don't drive the truck any distance with the TCC solenoid disconnected!

• kkdogg6kkdogg6 Member Posts: 1
    How can I get conclusion for this problem with tran?
  • FishmanFishman Member Posts: 1
    jclark5 said:

i have a 2000 mazda b3000 with 100000 miles on it. last week it starting shifting into second gear really hard, and when it shifts into overdrive the overdrive off light on the dash starts flashing. if you turn the truck off and restart it the light no longer flashes. any ideas anyone

I have the same trouble. This is fishman. beaverhudson1259@gmail.com