Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Toyota TACOMA vs Ford RANGER - X

Comments

• Options
    cpousnrcpousnr Member Posts: 1,611
    What you say is true but. . .

My suggestion was to to to Edmunds, look up both vehicles and see that there are very few options currently on the Ranger XLT vs the Tacoma.
  • Options
    dmoulddmould Member Posts: 76
    I just checked out Chariots.com for the 2001 pricing in $CDN (I live in Ottawa). The loaded Tacoma with offroad pkg - $ 33,745! The loaded Ranger (4.0SOHC 5-speed manual is standard in 4x4) $28,880 backpack & current off-road option included. Those are MSRP without the delivery charge. I think the only option here is to get the Ranger and pocket the $5000. The off-road group currently offered on the 2001 is just skid-plates, bulge body shocks, decals and fender flares. I guess the Premium off-road will come later.
    I have a call in with the dealer as to the availability of the 4.0L SOHC 5-speed because I want the XLT SC 4x2. Will post my answer - I will order one if I have to!
  • Options
    dmoulddmould Member Posts: 76
    Just spoke with the salesman here in Ottawa. The Ford ordering system is now accepting orders for the 4.0/manual combination. They couldn't place orders a few weeks ago. 8-week delivery time. They already have an order in the system for a black 4.0 5-speed regular cab 4x2. Sounds awesome! I am going in next week, to order myself a Christmas present.
    2001 Ranger XLT SC 4x2, with Premium Group (sport buckets, 6CD in-dash, PW, PL, PM, remote entry, Cruise, tilt, leather wheel), and of course the 4.0 5-speed. Ya-hoo!
  • Options
    Good deal! Price?

One thing, an option you NEED.

Calvan picture, making water, on a Tacoma TRD emblem...for the rear window with a "Ford Power" sticker above. . .
  • Options
    eagle63eagle63 Member Posts: 599
    and while you're at it.... how about a "bad boys club" and a "no fear" sticker as well.
  • Options
    cause it sounded a bit high.

A fully dressed out Ranger XLT should be under $24K USD, I would think.
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    I was at the dealer this morning getting my anti-freeze flushed. I thought it was time (about 2years) to do this. I usually don't go to dealers for service but they had a winter special going on.
    Anyway, while my Ranger was being worked on I took a stroll around the lot. They mut have had over 25 2001 Rangers on the lot from 4x2's to 4x4's. No way should a loaded Ranger go for 24K! Absolutly not! The highest MSRP I saw was about 23K tops.
    Just a quick note to sparkplug.. Get the Ranger you won't be disappointed. Get the new SOHC 4.0 with a 3.73 limited slip rearend. This will do you just fine. If you can, get rid of those damn Firejunkers Ford puts on the Rangers. America's Tire/Disount Tire will take the tires in on a trade thus giving you a great deal on some new 31" or P265 all terrain tires of a much better brand. If you plan on doing any outdoors activity with the Firestones, beware, I believe they are a 4ply.
  • Options
    Well, 23K is under 24K, like I said. . .

Your 98 was 19.5K, as I recall, my 99 was 17.4K(but mine lacked a lot of the options, was nice as it was). Pay about $600 to replace a window motor and $300 parts for a power mirror and you think twice about all those un-needed options.
  • Options
    Well, maybe those look good ony your truck. . .

Just added my "Squirrel, it's whats for supper" bumper sticker. . .
  • Options
    PreRunner:

"A 2.7-liter four-cylinder powerplant is standard, but it has 40 less horsepower and renders the PreRunner gutless and boring."

Unfortunately, the PreRunner is available only with a four-speed automatic transmission with overdrive. That's really too bad, because a manual tranny mated to the V6 would be truly rippin'. Hopefully, Toyota will realize its mistake and offer a five-speed shifter."

"Be forewarned — if you've got a heavy foot, enabling ECT Power is like choosing between reasonable and unreasonable fuel consumption."

"On the highway, the PreRunner is a little noisy. Wind noise and drag could be reduced with a tonneau cover for the bed (that will save gas too),..."

"The front cloth bucket seats, while comfortable, are basic in terms of appearance and design. It would help if there were more adjustments than just forward/back and recline."

"The rear jump seats are to sitting what Wayne Newton is to music - once you get over the novelty, it's just darn painful"

"
  • Options
    oh my God. . .
  • Options
    chipshot1chipshot1 Member Posts: 15
    "Be forewarned — if you've got a heavy foot,
    enabling ECT Power is like choosing between
    reasonable and unreasonable fuel consumption."

To use a popular adolescent term from my childhood, "No Duh!!"
  • Options
    "A 2.7-liter four-cylinder powerplant is standard,
    but it has 40 less horsepower and renders the
    PreRunner gutless and boring."

Leaving it with only 10 hp less then the most powerful Ranger option prior to 2001.
  • Options
    on my 99 Ranger = 3.8%.

Some of us realize the figures on our paychecks is

OUR money,

not the governments. . .
  • Options
    "...gutless and boring. . ."
  • Options
    Oh, well...that name kind of says it all. . .

Oh, your only 10hp down, but you do win on the price paid statistic. . .
  • Options
    cthompson21cthompson21 Member Posts: 1,102
    It kind of makes you wonder what they do with all of that money. After you account for all of the various taxes, fees, and charges for just about every damn thing, they take about 50% of our hard earned dollars.

And to think that this country was founded due to something like a 3% tariff on tea of all things.
  • Options
    Well, the 4L may be rated at only 10hp higher. But, it also has about 50ft/lbs more of torque. And, both come in at thousands of rpm less.

And, I've never heard of anyone referring to the OHV 4L as gutless or boring.
  • Options
    sparkplug1sparkplug1 Member Posts: 35
    Dmould, if you want to see what the dealer cost on this vehicle is check out "carcostcanada.com" web site for this info and the dealer in your area which will sell you this vehicle for the best price. I have done that myself and the dealer cost on the 2001 Ranger 4X4 supercab XLT with premium group 66T (loaded) plus the back pack (66K) is $26,370 CDN. The MSRP on the same package is $30,425 CDN, this includes $795 for freight but thats all. That will give a buyer some bargaining power. You have to pay for the info on this site but if you are serious, it is worth it in order to be an informed consumer. The Tacoma 4X4 extra cab V6 checks out like this; fully loaded (TRD pkg) with 5 spd plus freight is $34,195 MSRP and the dealer cost is $31,328. (These are Canadian dollars you guys, so don't freak) The Tacoma pricing doesn't include a tonneau or bed liner. The cost of the Ranger Back-pack is $1,175 MSRP or $964 dealer cost. (By the way, there is an $1180 discount on the premium group 4X4 option right now). That means that the cost for the loaded Ranger is $29,250 MSRP or $25,406 dealer cost. In other words the Tacoma is higher in price by $4945 msrp or $5922 dealer cost. Now all you Toyota guys out there, keep your shirt on. I still think that the Toyota is a quality vehicle and if the price and options/features were comparable then I would go for the Toyota but they aren't. There are many things that the Taco has going for it that the Ranger doesn't, but one major difference is the rear mini doors. They will be one feature which you are either glad you have or wish you had.
    Vince8; You mentioned the 3.73 rear end. I see that the option list on the Ranger XLT 4X4 Off-road Group states 4.10 axle ratio. Also, I asked the dealer if I could request a different brand of tire and he said "not at this point in time". Sounds like you may be able to in the near future but that is only a guess.
    I think that this site is a great forum in which to discuss this stuff and that is really what it is here for no?
  • Options
    "Oh Tax you down, we like you money best,
    You work for small change, the govt keeps the rest . . ."

Sparkplug:
    In jest only.
    I love visiting Canada, enjoyed 2 trips to the National Parks west of Calgary, down from Lake Louise to Idaho. . .but!

Canada can keep that form of taxation and socialized meds.

Plus, WE got Patrick Roy, by FAR the finest golie in history, to relocate here with a bunch of guys, to go after some silver cup. . .
  • Options
    been the route from Vancover to Calgary, use to go to Eastern Canada with the family while growing up.

Would LOVE to take the Ranger to some of the trails in Alberta and British Columbia. . .

Another plus for Canada, you guys got some great beer. . .

Maybe some day. . .
  • Options
    Sparkplug, I failed to mention I ordered my Ranger from the factory. I ordered the 3.73's rather than the 4.10's in the offroad pkg. I knew the 4.10's were going to be overkill because I don't tow or haul anything at or near the weight limits of the Ranger. I do however use my truck as a 4x4 and the 3.73's have never hindered my ability to climb or trail in the beautiful Cascade range. My Ranger is an XLT Supercab with a stepside bed. I opted to not have the 3rd door because of my outdoor activities I was afraid it would cause the frame to shift and the door would begin to rattle. I pretty much loaded it down with every option and its price was 19.6K cash. The tire story is, I dumped the Firejunkers about 3 months after I purchased the truck. I took them to the nearest America's Tire/Discount Tire company and they gave me a hefty trade in value since the tires were still new. If you offroad at all I recommend you dump the Firestones they are garbage for tread pattern and are only an 4ply
    tire.
    Good truck hunting, and let us know what you get either way, whether its a Ranger or Tacoma..
  • Options
    allknowingallknowing Member Posts: 866
    "Pay about $600 to replace a window motor and $300 parts for a power mirror and you think twice about all those un-needed options".

Get a Toyota and you probably won't ever have to replace those items. The only vehicles I've ever owned which had window motor problems were American cars, particularly GM with their lousy designs. The Fords I owned just became intermittent after a while but still worked. You get what you pay for. Pay now or pay later etc.
  • Options
    I do not own a Tacoma but I can tell you for an 87 Celica:
    Power Window motor replaced, $785.
    Cat convertor(Toy unique) $823, can get one for after market for Rangers for about $125
    Heater blower motor (parts) $200
    Head Gasket replacment $785
    Rack and pinion replaced $675(was $300 on the Rabbit).

Parts are more expensive than the ones for my 82 VW Rabbit.
  • Options
    tacomafranktacomafrank Member Posts: 61
    Just an FYI, you don't need Toyota's TRD package to get and off road Tacoma. the TRD package is only needed to get a locking rear diff and Bilstein shocks.

I paid $19,500 (in Alaska )for a 2000 Tacoma Xcab SR5 4x4 with 2.7L , 5-speed, 31" tires on 15" aluminum wheels, 4.30 gears,heavy duty shocks, skid plates on everything, 2 speed manual transfer case. It also has A/C , cruise control, CD player+cassette, chrome package, 60/40 split bench, tachometer,sliding rear window, various other options. No power windows or locks, but I didn't want those.

The truck kicks [non-permissible content removed] off road as-is, doesn't need any more power for that, especially the way it is geared. The only time I might like a few more horses is passing on the highway at 70mph, but it is still adequate.
  • Options
    You list a fair price and a fair evaluation.

I have always said that the Toyotas make good fast engines. The vehicles are generally high quality also.

But...

there are other alternatives, such as a Ranger, S10 etc.

They are, in general, much more expensive to repair when they do break.

I forgot to mention the pwr steering pump on the Celica. $550 parts and labor for OEM parts installed. Could do it for about $250 on a Ranger, I know I helped a guy do it on an 88 and the pumps are of simular design on my 99.
  • Options
    Here is a 3 picture sequence of that river crossing. Just scroll down to see all three. More pics on the way..

http://home.gci.net/~frankzone/Tacoriver3.jpg
  • Options
    Ha! Sounds like a real lemon. I would have dumped the car earlier than you. The older I get, the less major repairs I tolerate from a vehicle.
  • Options
    the 2nd pic in that sequence was the one already posted, the 3rd is right before I pulled out at the far bank
  • Options
    You would suggest a Toyota is a lemon?

Actually, it was from 2 cars, just to suggest when you DO fix things, and you will even on a Toyota, that the cost of parts in particular is

EXPENSIVE

compared to even a VW Rabbit which I do not consider a cheap car to maintain.

Toys are great cars till you have to fix them. But in fairness both Celica's are in the +185,000 mile range.

Got my money's worth out of them. Things just wear out after time. Also I was refering to new Toyota parts prices, not aftermarket or rebuilt.
  • Options
    Wow! That is some georgeous country up there. It sure makes the cornfields of Illinois look boring. :^(

How long would it take me to trailer my sleds up there???
  • Options
    The damn distributor cap cost me $65 for my wife's Corolla when I tuned it up. This was at Pep Boys, and I had to wait a week for them to order the part. I'd be scared to see how much it would cost me at a Toyota dealership. I couldn't believe how expensive parts were for that mass produced little econo-box.
  • Options
    I'm old enough to have repaired and followed the maintenance of lots of vehicles. Hands down, Toyota and Nissan have a consierable lower number of repairs in the first ten years of ownership. My experience with GM has been very poor and Ford, which I consider the best America has to offer, still doesn't compare either. You may have had bad experiences but that isn't the norm. Toyota and Nissan's reputation didn't come out of nowhere but rather from a majority of people's experience. My last Nissan which I had for ten years had zero (none) repairs required except belts, hoses, and oil changes. It didn't even require a tune up. I have never had an American car come close. My wife's current Ford has had several major repairs after only about two years which is keeping with the American tradition. I won't even attempt to list the huge number of major repairs required by my sister's or my co-workers Mustangs which are both less than four years old. The American car is cheaper initially, and the foreign parts may be more expensive, but most people keeping a vehicle ten years will pay less in the long run if they buy a Toyota or Nissan. You may come back with what you feel is a great rebuttal, however, I also know how hard this is to accept. I used to live in denial when I drove an American vehicle too.
  • Options
    Well, I originally drove up from Virginia to Anchorage, Alaska in 1992 in my old 93 Toyota 4x4, and I've been back and forth a few times. My best run was 6 days in summer, and 10 days in winter (on snow thru Canada). Both times I drove the first 24 hours straight. It's over 5000 miles, and it's not all smooth highway

I'd say you could do it in 5 days from where you are =)
  • Options
    barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    I picked it up today,a 2000 lt pewter 3 door ZR2,instatrac 4x4,reinforced wide stance chasis w/46mm Bilstein gas charged shocks,Vortec 4300 V6 SFI 190 HP 250lbs tourque,ground clearance 11.4" front and 9.1" rear,strengthened front differential and drive axles.
    Unique rear axle with an 8.5" ring gear,larger bearings,revised multileaf springs and added rear axle track bar,28mm front stabilizer bar,31 x 10.5" BFG's,locking differential,Sheild package,4 wheel antiloc disc brakes.
    Picked up truck with 10 miles drove around for an hour.It was weird going from a 4 door full size to a compact,but I do like it.I was going to wait for the Ranger but the 0% financing was just to good to pass up plus my dealer extends factory warranty to 5 year bumper to bumper with them doing all routine maintenance.Truck is loaded even came with an alarm got them down to $21000. could of opted for $2000 rebate also but took 0% financing instead.Will keep everyone posted on how truck runs already looking into flowmaster 40 series along with K&N fipk.It is my first Chevy, It may not be a Ford but it is American.
  • Options
    coolman2coolman2 Member Posts: 1
    i own a ranger and a tacoma for my buisness. I feel the tacoma is a much better vehicle when i ride it it feels much stronger than my ranger. the ranger is alrite but if someone is thinking between the two purchase a tacoma in my opinion
  • Options
    eagle63eagle63 Member Posts: 599
    nice work on the zr2! let me know how you like it after you've had it for a while. I'm still considering getting one myself.
  • Options
    Five day! Yikes! I guess I'll just have to head out west for some mountainous terrain for my sleds.
  • Options
    As much as it pains you to hear it, I can only recall a single major problem with a Ford vehicle in the past 10 years or so. It was a Bronco II that had the tranny crap out. I would say on average the rest had 1 minor repair (a couple hundred dollars) either in or out of warranty.

Of the vehicles I've personally owned, only 1 has had major problems. It was a '90 Olds Cutlass Supreme Int'l with the H.O. Quad-4. It blew the head gasket and cracked the head.

I feel sorry for your friends who have had problems with their cars. Then again, I have no idea how they are treated and/or maintained. I have faith that any car (with a few exceptions here and there) can last 150K trouble-free miles with proper maintenance. But, I usually get sick of a vehicle before that point and the signs of general wear and tear.

To each his own. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of the compact trucks out on the market now, except the Hombre (that is a really lame name, just couldn't live with it). I don't fall into either of the "Buy American" or "If it's from Japan, it's superior" crowds. I buy the best value with my hard earned dollars.
  • Options
    I had thought all along that this was a Ranger vs. Tacoma board. What is the purpose of bringing up Ford products that have nothing to do with the Ranger? Why not just create a message board like "I Hate Ford" or "Ford Sucks" to deal with these issues?

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't see a connection with the reliability of a Ranger and that of a Mustang or Villager. What not just talk about the Ranger?

I'm not defending Ford. It seems like they've got their heads up their collective a$$es more often than not.
  • Options
    "cheap shot. . .
    Oh, well...that name kind of says it all. . ."

I wouldnt call it a cheap shot, just trying to add some commentary. I find it a wee bit hypocrytical to post reviews like this after consistantly putting calling out others for the same thing.
  • Options
    spoogspoog Member Posts: 1,224
    Those pictures are absolutely amazing!

Man, the Tacoma is a fine, fine vehicle.

Cspousner doesn't like to admit it, but he knows they are just the best built trucks around, especially for outback duty. Nice pics.
  • Options
    I still like American cars (except most GM vehicles), however, my experience is not unusual. As an ex-stanch defender of American vehicles, I have learned from experience that even though some have very good luck with a vehicle, most American vehicles tend to begin costing money at about 70,000 miles or so no matter how good of care you provide. As I said, your experience may be more favorable but that's not the norm., thus the reputation of Toyota and Nissan as higher quality to most people. Lexus even forced Mercedes to improve their quality because their sales dropped. That being said, the Ranger appears to be one of Fords highest quality vehicles. I also differ from you in that the overall company's commitment to quality seems relevant to me also and I don't see Ford going in the right direction lately. It may not have affected the Ranger in a large degree yet but may soon. That's my opinion anyway.
  • Options
    Spoog, I notice your staying out of the room with they guy who has a Toyota Tacoma 2wd supercab pickup he can't sell, why? I thought Toyota's sold for 100% of their value, never lost value, even gained value! and sold overnight LOL!!
    Spoog, can't take it because Rangers can offroad and for a whole lot less $$. And now Ford has answered Toyota with their own offroad version, along with a SOHC V6 that stomps the Tacoma!
    See you in the Cascades! can't wait for snow...
  • Options
    I respect your opinion, and I'm definately not the great defender when it comes to any vehicle, domestic or foreign.

I just can't say that I have the same observations as you. Maybe this is due to most of my friends and family owning later model (mid-90's and newer) vehicles and maintaining them properly (some, like my father-in-law, over maintains his trucks). Vehicles tend to put on miles faster here in the sprawling expanse of Chicago, and they wear quicker due to the drastic climate changes and salt-caked roads (my truck gets about 12K per year, and my car gets about 22K per year), so people tend to trade them sooner. The booming economy doesn't hurt either.

I do agree that the domestics back in the 80s had very poor quality. Ford seems to have worked out many of its problems. But, it seems that they're looking more at volume lately and getting the latest and greatest on the showroom floor as soon as possible (Escape, Focus) when there are still some pre-production bugs to work out. GM seems to be improving lately. Chrysler seems all over the board, it's a roll of the dice with them.

Oh well, in any case competition makes the end product, whatever it may be, even better for us.

Lately, I've been thinking of getting a V8 powered truck a couple of years down the line. It shant be too long before the fossil fuel age is over, and the mighty roar of a V8 is replaced by the whine of electric motors. Pity. :o(
  • Options
    Sorry there is no ice in the background and yes, you do not need a .300 WIN standing by for the bears, but this is a bunch of Rangers in Ohio that in my opinion match ANYTHING shown in the Tacoma pics. Except for one thing, that is not a rocky bottom that that one Ranger, grille deep, PUSHING water, is in. It is a muddy bottom.
    http://www.rrorc.com/Anniversary2000.html
  • Options
    V8's are nice and I hope you enjoy what you get. I had an 85 Chevy 4x4 V8 that I towed a boat with and I couldn't even tell that I was towing anything. Too bad everything else but the engine began falling apart right away or I would have kept it longer (That was my last GM vehicle). The V8's then were pretty weak compared to today.
    As for everything switching to electric, I thought the same thing in the late 70's when they were going to phase out V8's before fuel injection became common. It didn't happen then and I doubt that it will now.
  • Options
    I think that we'll eventually see hydrogen internal combustion engines with a separate fuel cell (generates electricity and H20 using hydrogen) to operate all of the accessories, heating, cooling, etc... Both will use the hydrogen stored in a chryogenic (sp?) tank.

Today's engines can easily be modified to run on hydrogen, and the necessary fuel cell technology has been developed. The only real barriers are high efficiency storage technology, a distribution system, and a high volume production system. I'm sure they'll probably come on line when gas hits $5/gal in the next 10yrs.

If I were going to pick a V8 truck right now, it would be a toss-up between the Tundra, Dakota, and Lightning. Decisions, decisions.
  • Options
    \\Sorry there is no ice in the background and yes,
    you do not need a .300 WIN standing by for the
    bears, but this is a bunch of Rangers in Ohio that
    in my opinion match ANYTHING shown in the Tacoma
    pics. Except for one thing, that is not a rocky
    bottom that that one Ranger, grille deep, PUSHING
    water, is in. It is a muddy bottom.
    http://www.rrorc.com/Anniversary2000.html\\

Your link doesn't work. WHEN will you learn? you have not provided ANY pic that even COMES CLOSE to the ones Tacoma Frank and I have posted. Everyone here has already tld you that.
  • Options
    One thing I notice about Toyota trucks over 70k and Big three trucks over 70k is the tightness with whcih the vehicle pervades. The steering is still nice and tight on th Yota, everything feels like it did when it was new, just well broken in, like a pair of old leather boots. Rattless and clanks are minimal, the vehicle just feels like its put together for the long haul.

My uncle had a Ford f150 since 90. It was the full size v8, primarily a work truck, 4x4.

What did he buy last week? A Toytoa Tundra. now, in mot the biggest Tundra fan, so I asked him why he bought it. His answer was this:

" The truck just felt very, very well put together. Everything from brake response to steering to highway noise. All the seals were tight, and the trim all matched up".

This is a guy who had MONTHLY repairs on his f150 to keep it going to 170k miles. He had to replace the suspension many times. The vehicle was basically DEAD at 100,000 miles, but he kept it alive thanks to a plethora of mechanics and cheap parts stores.

One thing he really likes about the Tundra is the 30 point lube system underneath, to maintain the drivetrain and other parts.
This discussion has been closed.