Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Toyota TACOMA vs Ford RANGER - X

Comments

• Options
    jimmyfocuszx3jimmyfocuszx3 Member Posts: 65
    Spoog,

Those pics sure were swell. I personally would rather drive my 4x2 Ranger Splash to the trail head and then ride my mountain bike through that same rock garden and then enjoy a cold Iron City Beer at the end of the trail.... I bet me and my bike would clear the rocks faster than you and your Tacoma.

Jimmy
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Tacomafrank, is that a Tacoma in your picture? It sure looks like an older Toyota to me?
    Give it time, if you constantly snorkle your truck it will eventually cause problems.
    Spoog and Frank, why is it you find it so hard to believe a Ranger can 4x4?? The pics are nice but I do this stuff all the time in my Ranger too!
    I hate going through mud though, its a son of a gun to clean up. I don't think its worth it the clean up and all. Spoog has yet to show us his truck after a year of being on this board.
    The Ranger will continue its reign as the NUMBER 1 compact truck in the USA. Tacoma sales haven't even made a dent in Ranger sales. Fact is the Ranger is the BEST value in the compact truck segment.
  • Options
    spoogspoog Member Posts: 1,224
    \\
    Those pics sure were swell. I personally would
    rather drive my 4x2 Ranger Splash to the trail head
    and then ride my mountain bike through that same
    rock garden and then enjoy a cold Iron City Beer at
    the end of the trail.... \\

You make a good point here. There are so many roads nowadays, it's sad.

But, A mountain bike could not get through that particular rock garden. The mud is just way too deep between those boulders.

\\I bet me and my bike
    would clear the rocks faster than you and your
    Tacoma.\\

Maybe if you were carrying the bike on your back while wearing a pear of rugged boots.
  • Options
    Huge recall on Rangers for bad ignitions in warm weather...........
  • Options
    cpousnrcpousnr Member Posts: 1,611
  • Options
    Cspounser-

What images? Those links are bad.

Cspounser...you are like a wet dog that gets kicked around. You lose time and time again to the issues, yet keep coming back for more.

sigh.
  • Options
    barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    Where are the pics? Still waiting and waiting.Off the subject off Taco and Ranger what is everyones opinion of the Chevy ZR2.They are having a sale in my area 0% financing for up to 60 months,makes it hard not to want to look at one.
  • Options
    The ZR2 is a nice package. Every bit as good as the TRD and usually for a whole lot less $$.
    OK TRD owners and fans your days of gloating are over. Just received my Truck Trend and there is a nice article on the new Ranger. In a side bar there is a new offroad Ranger available. It comes with 31" BFG's all terrains, unique wheels, A Torsen torque biasing gear type differential, Bilsteins, Skidplates galore, The transfer case engages with a real lever and both shifters have specially styled knobs and heavy duty looking base. Tow hooks are stainless steel front and back. Truck has foglamps, splash guard, fender flares and other accents to distinguish it from normal Ranger 4x4's. I quote from Truck Trend "This may be the most comprehensive off-road package offered BY ANY OE in the compact truck segment! Ford listened!! to its customers. And it will probably sell for thousands less than a TRD!! This truck looks like a bad boy. My wife saw me reading the article and she said "don't even think about it". Damn.... :-(.
    By the way Spoog. At the Nevada 2000 there were plenty of Toyota's but guess who won? NOT Toyota LOL!! An American company won, Team Hummer finished First and Second. OOOOOH what a Feeeeling...!!LOL!.
  • Options
    And another note for spoog. The Ford lighting for 2001 has a 0-60 time of 5.8 seconds. A Tacoma with an S/C can only dream of that bud...
  • Options
    but take a moment to reflect for the sacrifices of the men and women of USS Cole, DDG 67.

http://www.spear.navy.mil/ships/ddg67/

http://www.spear.navy.mil/ships/ddg67/Colepic.jpg

The price that we pay on the alter of freedom is sometimes indeed very high. 17, at least, remain on eternal cruise. And they do it for so little pay.

Thanks, Chiefs get a bit emotional at times like this. . .
  • Options
    tacomafranktacomafrank Member Posts: 61
    Yep, that is a stock 2000 Tacoma in the picture. 4 cyl, 5 speed, 31" tires.
  • Options
    You can slap all the crap you want on the Ranger, but it still has a weak foundation. It STILL uses the highway favored suspension. That has not changed.

Bottom line is Toyota leads the class in ground clearance, offers a factory rear locker, clutch start cancel switch, TRUE offroad suspension, approach and departure angles, better crawl ratio,
    standard hooks, floor shifting manual transfer case with neutral position, 6 lug wheels, higher standard payload, better braking, ect.

"It comes
    with 31" BFG's all terrains, unique wheels, A
    Torsen torque biasing gear type differential,
    Bilsteins, Skidplates galore,"

Ooh! Skidplates galore! Something Toyota has been offering as standard since day one on their most basic 4x4's.

"The transfer case
    engages with a real lever "

ooh! About time! Maybe Ford is taking the steps to try and build an actual 4x4 now.

"and both shifters have
    specially styled knobs and heavy duty looking base
    "

I saw the pick pf the knob's and they ARE cool looking.
  • Options
    jimmyfocuszx3jimmyfocuszx3 Member Posts: 65
    Spoog,

I saw the pictures from the rock garden. Just have to learn how to do a "track stand" and bunny hop from one rock to the next.

Jimmy
  • Options
    lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    Hey chief I was wondering are you a skimmer sailor or a submariner? I put in my 6 years on subs as a nuclear mechanic. I cannot believe that we as a country are going to take that kind of abuse. When I see actions like that it makes me want to go back over there and launch a few more Tomahawks and make thae middle east a glass factory.
  • Options
    allknowingallknowing Member Posts: 866
    We can all agree with that CP.
  • Options
    I am getting sick an tired of baby sitting that region with our sons and daughters as targets. These people over there are radicals and don't like anyone who even resembles an American. Its time to pull out and let them kill each other off. Oil you say, if they don't sell it to us we take it then. I am so fu...en pissed that these things continue to happen and our fat politicians sit in their offices and talk their way up, down, in and out of everything. Politics, politicians is what is keeping us in this region. I don't want to play world policeman anymore with our sons and daughters.
  • Options
    Airdale, AvElectonics Tech., 26 years.

You guys on subs stay too non-taned. . .!

Perhaps not the place here but. . .
    We will take it and do nothing to upset perception of middle east peace.

Just my thoughts.
  • Options
    Well, the pic of the 87 going thru water to the hood worked before. Will check with Kurt to see about getting it up again.

In regard to the Tacoma in water, well, I understand they draw air from the fender. Well, unless modified, if your fender is under water, you draw water. That results in hydrolock, not good for valves and piston rods.

Any vehicle must be careful in water for that and filling the wrong places, differentals etc with water. That is why it is a good idea to change the fluids if you have been in deep water.
  • Options
    As a sailor, if one is hurt, we all hurt as we know how very easy it could have been us.
  • Options
    eagle63eagle63 Member Posts: 599
    I'm a big fan of the ZR2. in terms of equipment, it's got everything a TRD has, except for the clutch cancel switch. (no big loss!) I've driven one back to back with a TRD, and the ZR2 handles every bit as well. it's also much quicker, with a torquey 4.3 V6. I also think it's much better looking, and the interior is way better than the tacoma.
  • Options
    While that picture is good, a question.

Are there anymore of that crossing?

I ask for a couple of reasons. First, there is only one shown, the vehicle does not appear to be moving and there seems to be someone in the picture beyond the vehicle in the river.

Second, a few months ago, I posted a picture of an older Toyota that got stuck in a river. One picture showed it running, the next, it's hood up with a hydrolocked engine. BTW, a lifted Ranger did traverse the same area that ruined the Toys engine. Spoog disputed the pictures but it was factual.

And it was in about 1 ft less water than the picture you showed.
  • Options
    Could you post these "pictures" again?

Please?

Lets compare the depth of that tiny mud puddle verse the depth of the water in the photos TacomaFRank and I posted!!!!!

hahahahhahahahahhahaha!! ARE YOU BLIND MAN?????
    hahahahhahahahahhaah
  • Options
    The Tacoma appeared stock in lift.

The Ranger I refer to has a 6 inch lift.

The Tacoma is sitting, not moving, in a river, water to to a few inches below the hood.

The Ranger, 6 inches higer do not forget, is pushing a wave(psst, MOVING) in water a couple of inches below the hood.

Is this difficult for you to understand?
  • Options
    chipshot1chipshot1 Member Posts: 15
    Took the TRD up to the mtns for some camping this weekend for he first time in a few months. I slept in the bed thanks to my ARE shell. I used to do this all the time with my 88 but first time in my 2k TRD. There were alot of semi-maintained roads(no trees across road) that were fairly rough. It was a blast taking these trials a little aggressively. I have a new love for my truck especially after having to load another cars worth of people and stuff in the truck for a few creek crossings to get to campsite. Nothing extreme in anyway but fun anyway.
  • Options
    Spoog thinks his truck can beat a Porche 911 Targa or even a Corvette too, yeah a Corvette. Spoogs truck is so fast you can't even see it go by@ LOL! He claims to be an offroader, yet why in the world would you need a supercharger to offroad? Anyone who has even a clue about offroading knows that most of it is done between the speeds of 5-20mph tops. VROOOOM, VROOOOM spoog! LOL!!
  • Options
    Guys, the Tacoma in the picture is not sitting still it is moving forward at about 5 miles per hour. This was a rocky-bottom swift river crossing, not a soft-bottom still-water blast-thru. If you look closely at the larger pic below , right in front of the truck , you will see a small 'bow' wave, and a wake trail behind the truck. You don't see a BIG wave in front because I'm only moving at 5 mph and the water is moving downstream at about 15 miles per hour, and the shot was taken from UPSTREAM . Can you say hydrodynamics ?

There were a total of 12 trucks that made this crossing, although I was the first of only 2 stock Tacomas to cross. The Tacoma airbox snorkle, by the way, goes into the fender, then angles 90 degrees toward the cab and is tilted up slightly to draw air a few inches below the top rear of the fender near the front of the cab. At the water level in the picture, my snorkle would be about 8 to 10 inches above the waterline. As I mentioned before, my filter stayed dry. My cab also stayed dry. As did my diffs and power steering (I found out today when I had them checked).

See the full size river crossing pic for more detail:

http://home.gci.net/~frankzone/TacoRiverBig

Yes, there are several other pictures of the crossing taken by other drivers who should have them developed ,scanned, and posted this week . We also have video of the crossing, but I don't know if any of us have the software or know-how to convert it to PC yet. If so, we will post that also on our site, I'm sure.

Below is another picture of my truck .Took this right after the water crossing (which is why most of the mud is washed off). You will see a styling crease midway between the fender trim and the top of the hood. The snorkle draws air above this level, in a fender compartment seperate from the wheel well.

http://home.gci.net/~tacomaworld/temp032.htm
  • Options
    whoops, let me try that second pic again:

http://home.gci.net/~tacomaworld/temp032.jpg
  • Options
    thanks, but I had already seen that picture by going over here:
    http://home.gci.net/~tacomaworld/temp001.htm

Quite frankly, frank, I was looking for pictures that are not currently posted on the internet.
  • Options
    Well, if you are genuinly interested, there are more pics, and possibly video, coming from other photographers who were on the run. They are just taking their time
  • Options
    have you checked out carsdirect.com? I was pricing a 2000 ZR2 last june, and they were quoting under $21000. (the sticker price is about $26000) I would think that it should be even cheaper since the 01's are already out.
    I'm afraid only you can decide if going for the zr2 is right or not. as I've said before, I think they're fun trucks. also, you don't see too many of them on the road which is nice. check out ZR2.com as well as this site:http://my.ohio.voyager.net/~hedkeg/ZR2/
    those who do have ZR2's are generally fanatical about their trucks, and will be better able to answer your questions.

BTW, are those infinity kappa's 5x7's??
  • Options
    No problem, I can wait.

But...

When I see a file on a site that is XXX32.jpg, it kind of implies that there are maybe 31 additional pictures that have been digitized.

I only saw about a dozen on that site.

Just curious. . .
  • Options
    sparkplug1sparkplug1 Member Posts: 35
    I have been doing research for some time with regards to smaller pickups and that has lead me to this site. I had an 89 Nissan King Cab 4X2 and now have a 98 Ford F-150 Ext-cab 4X2. The Ford is a company vehicle and since I am changing jobs I have to give it back. I have no real brand loyalty (although the 5.0 L Mustang Cobra I bought back in 86 was a blast) and thought both vehicles were great in there own way. I have narrowed my preferences down to the Tacoma 4X4 with the Off-Road package or the Ranger 4X4 with the Premium Group as well as the Back Pack option (bed liner and hard tonneau cover). Both are the 2001 models. I know that the Toyota is an excellent machine and was my instinctive first choice but after much research and head scratching I am now leaning towards the Ranger. I have never owned a 4X4 before but I have always wanted one and figured I might as well get one that I am happy with. I live in Canada (50 miles outside of Toronto) so I have to deal with winter driving often (have to get that blubber back to the Igloo in blizzards you know) and I enjoy winter sports with my 11 year old son (snow boarding, hockey, cross country skiing etc.) so the abilities of a 4X4 were appealing. I know that there are those of you out there who had to make the same decision so what were your deciding factors? The two rear doors and lower price are two big ones with me. Does anyone know what the new 4.0l SOHC engine mileage ratings are? What is the diff between the Taco's coil springs and the Ranger's torsion bars. What is the bed length of the Ranger? How crappy are the P245/75R16 Firestone A/Ts? Why do dogs hate when you blow in their face but love to stick their heads out the window?
  • Options
    You sure seem to enjoy swapping trucks every few months. Seems like the ramblings of a man who isn't happy with what he is buying........
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Dogs have very sensitive noses. So badbreath is multiplied 100 fold and that is why the love to stick their heads out the window. Bad breath...
  • Options
    Well so much for getting some of that. I gave up the Nissan because I was given the choice of a minivan or F-150 for a company vehicle. Now that I am changing jobs, I have to give it back and purchase something on my own. I realize that you are the biggest Toyota booster out there Spoog so I don't really expect any unbiased opinions from you. I'm not going to pretend to be Joe offroader either. The four wheel drive will only be used now and again but up here when you are out in the sticks in the dead of winter and a white-out forces you off the road miles from anywhere, you are glad you have it. My ex traded her Mazda 929 in on a Toyota Corrola wagon with all wheel drive and she loves it in the snow (the car that is). Another thing to keep in mind is rust. They use more salt on the roads than McDonalds does on their food up here. Vehicles always rust-out before they wear-out here and I see lots of rusted-out Toyota pick-ups still zipping around with their fenders flapping like migrating geese (the honking sounds different though).
  • Options
    rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    I bought a '99 Tacoma in June of '99 primarily for commuting, but also wanted 4x4 capability for the winters here in Denver and summer off-roading. I had owned a '95 Tacoma, but gave it back to Toyota after four months because it was such a lemon. I figured even Toyota could work out the problems in four years (I was wrong).

The Tacoma was my choice because I had owned several Toyota trucks and found them all to be reliable. The '99 Tacoma WAS very reliable, and I was pleased to not have to visit the dealer, except for a leaking power steering hose.

HOWEVER, and this is MY opinion, The TRD package, while providing good handling (in turns), has a TERRIBLE ride. Very harsh, bumpy and prone to bump-steer. In addition, the seats were uncomfortable, and the truck was very noisy at freeway speeds. Oh yeah, I thought the auto tranny shifted hard too.

While the Tacoma may be an excellent off-roader, I felt my '99 was an awful day-to-day driver/commuter, which most of us use our trucks for. If I were you, I would seriously consider the Ranger. Make sure you take both trucks out for extended test drives. Maybe that will assist you in your decision. Good luck!

BTW- I sold the '99 Tacoma after owning it for nine months and 12K miles.
  • Options
    MPG should be close to the 4.0 that I have in my 99 Ranger, 18-20 around town, 22-23 hwy depending on what speed you drive. Remember Ranger outweighs the Tacoma by 100-300lb, depending on configuration.

Depends on the suspension. I think the torsion bars are fine, gives a very good ride and handles well in traffic. Ok for off-road, I have never hit one or had a problem.

Tires? There are better ones on the market than the Firestones.

Do not forget with Tacoma, in order to get all the comforts and toys, you option up. They make some of the options reasonable but it increases cost.
    Look at Edmunds review and info on Ranger.
    VERY FEW options needed/offered on XLT's and you get a very nicely equipped vehicle for in the neighborhood of $20K or less. Look for the local sales.

Hope this helps. I can provide links to pics or sites to see Rangers in action if necessary. I use mine to haul 200 gal of h20, water is 8.8 lb per gallon, to my property and to go 4 wheeling and hunting.
  • Options
    I consider myself "relatively" unbiased as I don't own either a ranger or a tacoma. The bottom line here is that both trucks are very good. there are way more similarities than differences, and the differences may not be enough to sway you in one direction or the other. as for gas mileage, I don't know the numbers but I would *guess* that the tacoma will do a little better. on the other hand, the tacoma also costs more up front. the off-road package in either truck will give you a stiffer ride. I personally like a firmer ride even if I'm only driving my truck on the highway. torsion bars will probably give you a little better ride on the highway, but also give up a little in off-road performance as compared to coil springs.
    one difference I noted was the interior. I'm not a fan of the tacoma's interior, and I thought the seats were uncomfortable. I've heard that they've improved on the 2001's, so be sure to check that out.
    As always though, the key is to test drive the hell out of both of them, and decide which one is the most comfortable, fun, appealing, etc, etc. good luck!
  • Options
    I completely respect rickc5's opinion and assessment of the ride of the TRD package but would like to take the time to offer my opinion and experiences. I have the 2000 v6 5sp TRD and really like the way it rides and handles. I have let all of my friends who drive vehicles ranging from an Integra with modified suspension, to a BMW 325, to a Mercedes SLK 230, to an Infinity Q45, to a 4wd Ranger, to a 2000 Jetta, to an Infinity Q45. As you can see their is quite a variety and every single one complemented its ride and handling. Usually with remarks such as "Wow, I never imagined I would like driving a truck" or "This rides much better then I expected". These are absolutely real comments and I promise that I am not making any of this up. Absolutely no one who has ridden in or driven my truck has had a derogotory remark about it.
    I am not going to try to convince you to get one but just wanted to offer a different viewpoint. In reality, I think if one was to do the research without predjudice they would probably opt for the Ranger. This is similar to comaring the Acura CL to the BMW 328 or now the 330. Price and many camparison points go to the Acura but their are intangibles about the BMW that make it more attractive to some. This is how I view the Ranger vs Tacoma. I honestly dont think you will go wrong either way so go with the one you are biased toward and you will never second guess yourself.
  • Options
    Thanks. My first choice was the Taco based on reputation, quality and image. However since this vehicle will be used as a car most of the time and the fact that I have kids, the rear doors are a big factor as are the semi usable rear seats in the Ranger as opposed to the hardly usable ones in the Taco. Cost of parts will be an issue in time as well so the Ranger wins out there too. I realize the Toyota engine is a real gem but have heard good things about the 4.0l SOHC Ford unit. Since this is so early in the 2001 model season I have not been able to test drive either new models (it takes these things longer to filter through the boarder I guess) so I am going on literature and opinions like the ones I am reading here.
  • Options
    Take a look at the 4 door 2001 Tacoma. While many criticize the new grill, the interior is much improved over 2000 models.
  • Options
    cthompson21cthompson21 Member Posts: 1,102
    You wouldn't be making a mistake with either one of the trucks. There are definately some things to consider about what's currently available, and what's coming down the pipes in a few months.

- You can get a great deal on '00 Rangers right now (cash back and incredible financing), but they have the older OHV 4L, not the SOHC 4L.

- The '01 SOHC 4L Ranger is not available with a manual tranny for a few months. You'll also be paying a higher price for the '01 Ranger due to production just ramping up now coupled with the higher demand.

- The Ranger is up for a complete redesign for '02.

- The Tacoma adds the double cab for '01. The '01 styling also has many critics.

- The Tacoma is up for redesign in '02, I believe.

- Both trucks have excellent resale values based on their initial purchase prices.

- The SOHC 4L should get about 1mpg better than the OHV 4L.

- The LSD (Ranger option) would be much more beneficial in the uses you describe than a locker (Tacoma TRD option, expensive)

- Safety to me is a big factor. 4whl ABS standard on all '01 Rangers along with high safety ratings (compared to other compact trucks). Tacoma has not fared well in side impact (but hasn't been tested in a coupla years). I (well, my wife) can attest first hand to the crash worthiness of a Ranger.

- Have you considered what kind of deal you can swing? Ford dealerships are usually more plentiful and will cut each other's throats to get a sale. Toyota dealerships are usually less in number and will stick to their guns.

I guess it all just comes down to what you personally value the most in your vehicle. All I can say is to test drive, test drive, test drive and do lots of research. Figure out exactly what you want your truck to do, then figure out whether the Taco or Ranger does it better.

BTW, for the dog thing. I think it's because of the hot breath air versus the cool breeze air. Funny observation, tho. I've got one for ya. If nothing sticks to Teflon, how does Teflon stick to the pan?
  • Options
    I'm not too fussy about the looks of a compact truck with 4 doors (01 Taco option) plus you loose lots more bed length. I've got a few quotes to go by and on a fully loaded Ranger with Back-pack option it was about $20,120 (in US dollars) and thats with freight and air tax but before dealer prep, license and sales tax(which is 15% up here). There was a big discount on the premium package (about 60% off). With my luck though there will be some great deal come down the pipe just after I take delivery. Does anyone know about the newly designed 5 spd stick availability. It looks real cool but don't know if it is out just yet. How about the 2 piece hard tonneau cover. Anyone seen one out there yet? It's been used on the Explorer Sport Trac or whatever it's called. That plus the Ford bed liner goes for $756 (US) here. Is the Ford tonneau any good compared to an aftermarket one piece fiberglass unit? Here's one for ya; Politicians and diapers have one thing in common, both should be changed regularly and for the same reason.
  • Options
    15%!!!! Yikes! I think I paid around 7% when I bought my last vehicle.

I think that pic of the manual tranny with the manual transfer case shift lever is due out in the next 6 to 9 months. It's part of the new Premium Off-Road Package. I haven't heard final details on all of its contents yet. It's supposed to have:

- bilstein shocks
    - skid plates on everything
    - 31" tires
    - front & rear LSD's
    - manual transfer case
    - 4x4 styling stuff (fogs, flares, etc...)

I might be forgetting some stuff.

As for a hard tonneau, I'd go aftermarket anyways. Buy one unpainted for about $400 or less and have it painted at your local body shop for $200 or so. You can get one of the really nice ones with the great locking hardward and a carpeted underside for less than $700 in total (all USD BTW).

Nowlan's Theory: He who hesitates is not only lost, but several miles from the next freeway exit.
  • Options
    Yeah 15% here. Nice place to live but you hafta pay for it.
  • Options
    I'd really like to take my sleds up there someday. Wisconsin will have to do for now. Oh Ya.
  • Options
    " When I see a file on a site that is XXX32.jpg, it kind of implies that there are maybe 31 additional pictures that have been digitized."

Well, it's not my site, it belongs to a buddy of mine. I know he has pics of all kinds of stuff besides Trucks that he has scanned. But he recently scrapped his personal site to start a Tacoma-only site recently.
  • Options
    why not try changing the numbers and see what you come up with ?
  • Options
    "Do not forget with Tacoma, in order to get all the
    comforts and toys, you option up. "

Standard fuel tank and transfer skid plates, standard clutch start cancel switch, standard highest payload in class, standard manual shifting transfer case with neutral position, standard gold plated starter switch.

All these options are STANDARD on even the most basic 4x4 Tacomas. Toyota won't sell a 4x4 without them.
This discussion has been closed.