Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Toyota TACOMA vs Ford RANGER - X

Comments

• Options
    barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    Edmunds has the 2001 ranger as a must have vehicle.The premium of road package will have bilstein's ,BFG's,skid plates and a torzen differential with a possible detroit locker front and rear.
  • Options
    cpousnrcpousnr Member Posts: 1,611
    Great post! But you forgot the URL
    http://www.edmunds.com/edweb/editorial/mostwanted/2001/01.ford.ranger.html

"We've always considered the Ranger a handsome truck - a crisp new face (new grille, headlights and lower fascia) and deeply creased wheel arches make it even more alluring."

Hmmm, how come the 4 door Tacoma did not make this list? Well, think some of the reasons are the Ranger already HAS the 4 door, has for a few years AND 205-horsepower kind of leaves a 190 hp engined vehicle
    at the stop light. . .

"For those who need a small, reliable hauler that embraces the demands of urban living (while making itself at home in the wild), the Ranger offers a satisfying package."

Not sure I am to fond of only getting a slushbox tranny with the new engine...
  • Options
    Did I not hear you say once that the Tacoma has a towing capacity of 5,000 lb?

The new Ranger and Mazda with the 4.0 engine has a towing capacity of 5,900 lb.

Hmmm, more hp, more torque, more towing capacity, more configurations, more standard features for a lower price than the Tacoma.
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    The Ranger will stay number 1 in sales for years to come with the 01 model. All over the internet the Ranger is getting rave reviews. I believe its the new SOHC 4.0 that delivers the knock-out blow. Nice to see Ford will offer a locker. But I still feel a locker on a truck is a waste of money spent. Anyone who truely offroads knows lockers are very limited to offroad use only. Maybe a total of 5% of your total driving time? A pretty spendy option in my book, for so little use..Limited slip rearends are much more useful to the everyday truck user.
  • Options
    spoogspoog Member Posts: 1,224
    Oh, you also forgot to quote this from the Ranger page:

" Lows: Questionable reliability"
  • Options
    to suit your hidden agenda.

However, when you take quote that spoog referes to in context and more complete you get:

"...questionable reliability of of five-speed automatic. . ."

And go over to Tacoma for 2001 and you get, full quote this time:

"Uncomfortable seats, high prices, aging design, no third or fourth door on Xtracabs."

". . .aging design. . ."
    "Oh, what a feeling. . ."

Spoog, figured out yet that if you have shift on the fly into 4X4 high, you more than likely are activating a solinoid, NOT engaging a fully manual transfer case on that Tacoma?
  • Options
    own the 5 speed automatic, I simply do not care for it.

I concede that it is an inovation, the first of it's kind. But Ford leads the way with so much in the Ranger. I do not like it for the following reasons:

1. Results in an undesirable crawl ratio for a 4X4, way too low:
    2. If you wack a manual with a rock, you can limp off the mountain. Wack a slush box, your done, tow truck time.
    3. Adds weight, lowers mpg.
    4. Very expensive to repair vs a manual.
  • Options
    eagle63eagle63 Member Posts: 599
    always has to cheat to win. hey spoog, how are the interiors on the new '01 tacomas? have they been updated yet, or are they still something out of a 70's B movie?
  • Options
    rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    Now why would Toyota bother updating the world's best interior in the world's best truck????

(I had to pick myself off the floor before I could hit the post button on this one.)
  • Options
    Your wrong about the shift on the fly and the manual case.

I have the manual, floor shifting , solid lever that lets me "shift on the fly".

I still say it is a real shame the ranger does not come with an actual , solid, expensive manual t-case with a nuetral position. tsk, tsk.
  • Options
    tacomafranktacomafrank Member Posts: 61
    " Hmmm, how come the 4 door Tacoma did not make this
    list? Well, think some of the reasons are the
    Ranger already HAS the 4 door, has for a few years
    AND 205-horsepower kind of leaves a 190 hp engined
    vehicle
    at the stop light. . ."

Actually, the 190 HP Tacoma leaves the 205 hp Ford and 210 Hp s/c Nissan behind at the stoplight. Why ? The Tacoma has the best power-ti-weight ratio, which is why it's the fastest of the group, and faster than many v-8 full size trucks.
  • Options
    " Hmmm, how come the 4 door Tacoma did not make this
    list? Well, think some of the reasons are the
    Ranger already HAS the 4 door, has for a few years
    AND 205-horsepower kind of leaves a 190 hp engined
    vehicle
    at the stop light. . ."

Actually, the 190 HP Tacoma leaves the 205 hp Ford and 210 HP s/c Nissan behind at the stoplight.

Why? Because the Tacoma has the best power-to-weight ratio, which is why it's the fastest of the group, and faster than many V-8 full size trucks.
  • Options
    cthompson21cthompson21 Member Posts: 1,102
    Just curious. But, how would you have any idea which is the fastest truck?

Manufacturer ratings are useless.

The S/C Frontier and Cammer Ranger haven't been out long enough for a comparo (at least not one that I'm aware of).

This sounds like wellwishing to me.

BTW, I think that racing trucks is pretty stupid (except maybe a Lightning or a Syclone).

Many sub-20K family/economy cars will out-accelerate any of these trucks, even the "mighty" (chortle...) Supercharged Tacoma (which is a non-production aftermarket truck anyways).
  • Options
    y2ktrdy2ktrd Member Posts: 81
    Yes the 01 tacoma's interior has been updated and the seats are way more comfortable (i drove one)
    also white faced gauges,4 spoke steering wheel,tweeters in the door panel,better cup holders etc....the interior is alot more luxurious looking than the previous models.The trd model gets the tundra wheels and tires also.
  • Options
    Really? Tacomas is faster, eh?

Well, the 4.0 Ford in a Ranger/Mazda does 0-60 in 8.1 seconds.

The Tacoma with the 3.4 does 0-60 in 9.0 seconds.

Somehow, unless you are using the math currently taught in school, 9.0-8.1 leaves a .9 second advantage to the Ranger in the 0-60 statistic.
  • Options
    So let me get this straight.

You think that if you shift, on the fly, up to say 50 mph, and engage a transfer case with out benefit of a clutch, that you are not merely engaging a solinoid, correct?

Don't think it works that way spoog.
  • Options
    Wow, better cup holders. . .
  • Options
    Lets see what is new for Ranger:

Most notable for the '01 Ranger is the availability of the Explorer's 205-horsepower, 4.0-liter SOHC V6. In other engine news, the flexible-fuel feature on the 3.0-liter V6 has been dropped and there will also be a new base 2.3-liter four-cylinder coming soon after the model-year introduction. ABS is now standard on all models. A new Edge trim level has a monochromatic appearance, which includes color-keyed bumpers and wheel lip moldings. Exterior changes are numerous. All models get a new grille, bumpers, and headlamps, while the XLT 4x4 and Edge get a new hood and wheel lip moldings. Four colors are new as well as an in-dash, six-disc CD changer.

1. 2 new engines, on modified engine
    2. Standard ABS on every vehicle.
    3. New grille, bumpers, headlights, hood.
    4. In dash 6 disk CD

Sorry, same crappy cup holders. . .
  • Options
    Lets see what is new for Ranger:

Most notable for the '01 Ranger is the availability of the Explorer's 205-horsepower, 4.0-liter SOHC V6. In other engine news, the flexible-fuel feature on the 3.0-liter V6 has been dropped and there will also be a new base 2.3-liter four-cylinder coming soon after the model-year introduction. ABS is now standard on all models. A new Edge trim level has a monochromatic appearance, which includes color-keyed bumpers and wheel lip moldings. Exterior changes are numerous. All models get a new grille, bumpers, and headlamps, while the XLT 4x4 and Edge get a new hood and wheel lip moldings. Four colors are new as well as an in-dash, six-disc CD changer.

1. 2 new engines, one modified engine
    2. Standard ABS on every vehicle.
    3. New grille, bumpers, headlights, hood.
    4. In dash 6 disk CD

Sorry, same crappy cup holders. . .
  • Options
    eagle63eagle63 Member Posts: 599
    ...according to one of spoog's FAVORITE sites, the tacoma does 0-60 in 10.94 seconds. that's not very quick. even for a truck. if you don't believe me, here's the link http://www.fourwheeler.com/newtrucks/ptoty/98/specs.html

many of you will remember this link, as spoog has posted it a million times.
  • Options
    barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    whats your problem? The new ranger will spank the tacoma in all aspects..........and still be cheaper and safer and better looking and american and be driven by me.Have a nice day in your make believe truck with a 1 star safety rating,out of curiosity if you have a side impact crash with a shopping cart at a supermarket what are your chances for a nonserious injury.I wonder if any one has ever done a study on that,knowing spoog he'd blame the maker of the shopping cart because firestone made the tires for it.
  • Options
    Barliz, Cspounser, ect. You are uneducated hillbillies, nothing more, nothing less.

The Ranger STILL has the highway suspension, still has the lower performance to weight ratio, and STILL has the shock mounts lower than he axles.

Give me a break.

YOu can slapp all the gimmicky crap on a house that you want, but if the foundation is creaky, it will be no good.

" The Ford rattled like a Diamondback offroad"

-Edmunds.com
  • Options
    roflmao !! Are you joking ? 9 SECONDS ? 10 SECONDS ? WHAT KIND OF MORONS WERE DRIVING ?

A stock V-6 Aacoma 5 speed will do 0-60 in 7.8, the auto is almost a second slower, around 8.5. It has been tested by magazines and by owners who know how to drive them at far better than the speeds you quoted. With the TRD supercharger, the 3.4 5 speed will do it 6 seconds flat, although some have tested 5.8 on the track by ignoring the Manufacturer claims are worthless, you're right. Power to weight ratio is a fact, however, not a claim. There are no other "mystical" factors other than gearing for acceleration. All the 2001's have been tested on the track by various redline.

magazines, so it's not too soon to make a comparison.
  • Options
    ROFLMAO!! Are you joking ? 9 SECONDS ? 10 SECONDS
    ? WHAT KIND OF MORONS WERE DRIVING ?

A stock V-6 Tacoma 5 speed will do 0-60 in 7.8,
    and the auto is almost a second slower, around 8.5. It has been on the track tested by magazines and by owners who know how to drive them at far better than the speeds you quoted. With the TRD supercharger, the 3.4 5 speed will do it 6 seconds flat, although some have tested 5.8 on the track by ignoring the redline. tacoma owners with s/c regulary beat Mustangs and other sports cars at the stoplight.

Manufacturer claims are worthless, you're right.
    Power to weight ratio is a fact, however, not a
    claim. There are no other "mystical" factors other than gearing for acceleration. All the 2001's have been tested on the track by various
    magazines, so it's not too soon to make a
    comparison.

I read stories on tacoma message boards all the time about Nissan s/c owners being miffed when they get beat at the stoplight by a Tacoma with 20 less horsepower, just because the Tacoma is 500 pounds lighter.

Nissans are great trucks, nothing against them. Just wanted to clear up some confusions about speed comparisons
  • Options
    these guys tested the Tacoma at 0-60 8.9, and thats with optional 31" tires, which slow it down. The truck is still faster than these guys tested it.

Tacoma vs Frontier road test:

http://www.trucktrend.com/feb99/nvt/nvt_f.html
  • Options
    You Tacoma guys are Dreaming! The new RAnger out accelerates the 3.4 hands down!! What the hell are you guys thinking? Lets see hear.. 190HP/220ft/lbs of torque to 205HP/240ft/lbs of torque. The new Ranger does 0-60 in 8.1 seconds the Tacoma in 8.9.. I don't know where the hell your getting 7.9 for a Tacoma? Link please.... Face it Toyota is now 3rd in the Engine department as far as HP/Torque is concerned..
    Saw a 2001 Tacoma today, YUCK! the grill looks like somthing off an old Lincoln or Caddy... Toyota Tacoma slips as as far as styling goes. Thank goodness most of you Tacoma owners bought pre -01 models....
  • Options
    "There are no other "mystical" factors
    other than gearing for acceleration."

Quite the contrary. There are pleanty of factors and they are definately not mystical, just scientific.

Most noteworthy is the engine itself. Cam locations, powerbands, hp, torque, long/short stroke, rpm power peaks. The differences are endless. No two motors are alike.

You've also got rolling and wind resistance. No two vehicles are equal.

Ever think about tires? Did you know that they make a big difference too? Why do you think top fuellers use slicks instead of all-terrain tires? It's traction, man.

There's also power loss through the drivetrain. No two are equal in that respect either. A more efficient drivetrain equals more power to the tires.

There's also the actual weight of the rim/tire. Reduction in weight exponentially increases power to the ground.

Don't forget the flywheel weight. A light flywheel lets the engine spool up faster, which also increases acceleration.

I could go on... But, I think you've got the point now.
  • Options
    "All the 2001's have been tested on the track by various magazines, so it's not too soon to make a
    comparison."

Comparing two different tests is useless. Unless you run the same two trucks back to back on the same track with the same driver, the numbers are close to meaningless.

There are just too many variables involved for anything but a very "rough" estimation.
  • Options
    About all of these "stories" about Tacomas beatings Mustangs and Vipers and Ferarris. Oh my!

They're just that... Stories.

A stock V6 Tacoma can just break 9 seconds in a dash to 60mph. A S/C TRD Tacoma (with no other mods than the $4000 aftermarket supercharger) would be around 7 seconds in that run.
  • Options
    Well saying that a s/c for the tacoma cost 4 grand
    is a great story when they actually only cost around 2800 installed by the dealer!By the way my stock v6 5spd x-cab w/31 inch tires went 16.5 at
    the track and adding a charger would surelyv get it into the low 15 second range no problem.
  • Options
    "...according to one of spoog's FAVORITE sites, the tacoma does 0-60 in 10.94 seconds. "

Yeah, but the tested the Ranger at 11.55 and the Mazda at 14.62.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/newtrucks/ptoty/98/specs.html

All of those times are bogus, those guys don't know how to drive stick obviously. All those trucks are quicker than that
  • Options
    Who would like to bet me $1000 cash that I can run a stock Tacoma V-6 5 speed in under 8 seconds ? We will find a pro drag track and get a 3 run bets time certified. For that matter, who would like to bet me $1000 that I can't have 3 guys with supercharged Tacomas can run them in 6.5 or less. No BS please. I'mm looking for those willing to put up, and lose, some cash.

write me at yourbestman@hotmail.com
  • Options
    Yep i'm with ya on this one....hell if you're not chirpin' third gear, you're not drivin' it right!
    I wouldn't bet anything on you because i know what tacoma's can do...this is my second one and believe me ive done my share of street battles!
  • Options
    Is this true the new ranger with the "205" hp engine only comes with an auto trans?? Well that scrubs off some of it's precious new found hp now doesn't it. too bad huh?.....
  • Options
    Guys , I own a Tacoma. I belong to an association of 5000 Tacoma owners. We drive our trucks every day. Many of us race them at tracks and time them to test mods. We race them against other trucks like rangers and Frontiers. We know what these trucks can do. If your knowledge of Tacomas is based on test you read in magazines, you don't know jack.

"About all of these "stories" about Tacomas
    beatings Mustangs and Vipers and Ferarris "

never heard any stories about a Tacoma beating a Viper or ferrari, but a V-6 Mustang ? Happens all the time. A s/c tacoma makes very easy work of it.
  • Options
    Vince8 wrote: "You Tacoma guys are Dreaming! The new RAnger out
    accelerates the 3.4 hands down!! What the hell are
    you guys thinking? Lets see hear.. 190HP/220ft/lbs
    of torque to 205HP/240ft/lbs of torque. The new
    Ranger does 0-60 in 8.1 seconds the Tacoma in 8.9..
    I don't know where the hell your getting 7.9 for aTacoma? "

Vince, if your Ford data is correct, than at 3658 lbs for that model, the Ford has 17.67 horsepower and 15.36 ft-lbs torque per pound of truck. The Tacoma, at 3515 lbs , 190 hp and 220 ft/lbs torque, for the same V-6 4x4 Xcab, has 18.5 hp and 15.977 ft-lbs of torque per pound of truck.

Does that explain it for you ? 18.5 hp/lb is more than 17.67 hp/lb. Tahts why the tacoma is faster
  • Options
    Vince can see it more clearly this way....what would be faster a 4000 lb car with a 500 hp engine or a 2000 lb car with a 500 hp engine?
    hope this helps!..... :)
  • Options
    Well, sure, if you consider a supercharged Tacoma which puts out 245hp as I recall. Sure should beat a 205hp Ranger.

I can only go from the statistics I have read.

195hp Tacoma, 9.0 sec 0-60
    205hp Ranger, 8.1 sec 0-60

Now if we must accept as true the data published in the FourWheeler that spoog posted, what a hundred or so times, then we will accept the Tacoma turning at best the 9 sec 0-60, at worst a bit over 10 seconds.

At ANY rate, that is slower than 8 seconds.

y2k...
    So I assume you are suggesting that the Tacoma, being lighter, makes it faster?
    Did we not see comments made earlier that the weight of the 2 are almost identical.

You toyota boys just want it both ways I guess.

Sorry, stats show the Tacoma slower than the Ranger. Also y2k, I posted the gear ratios of both vehicles a while back. In regard to the final drive ratio, equate that to acceleration, the Tacoma has a better first gear but is worse in second, third, fourth and fifth gears as compared to the Ranger.
  • Options
    Go back and check my posts. I calculated, and posted the final drive ratios for both vehicles.

Tacoma has a good first gear and thats about it.

Don't try to give us this crap about hp per pound. That is a real lame argument that DOES NOT take into ANY consideration the gear ratios of the vehicles, torque curves or anything.

Your ignorance is showing rather well right now.
  • Options
    modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    You Toy owners are getting more hilarious by the minute!!!!!!!

Most ignorant quote:

"Vince, if your Ford data is correct, than at 3658
    lbs for that model, the Ford has 17.67 horsepower
    and 15.36 ft-lbs torque per pound of truck. The
    Tacoma, at 3515 lbs , 190 hp and 220 ft/lbs torque,
    for the same V-6 4x4 Xcab, has 18.5 hp and 15.977
    ft-lbs of torque per pound of truck.

Does that explain it for you ? 18.5 hp/lb is more
    than 17.67 hp/lb. Tahts why the tacoma is faster"

You goof balls, That's 17.6 POUNDS for every horsepower and 18.5 POUNDS per every single horsepower.

Using Toyota owners math the Tacoma would have 3515 horsepower. ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!

The Ranger has LESS weight per H.P. Too rich!!!!!
  • Options
    modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    if they use the same math to figure 0-60 times????

Let's see, it's 90 degrees out minus 60 MPH =30 divided by 6 cylinders=5........Hey my Tacoma does 0-60 in 5 seconds!!!!
  • Options
    $2800???

Where in the world are you getting that??? The TRD supercharger costs $3000 for parts alone!!! Just check their website at www.trdusa.com

If you get it for under 4 grand, your're one lucky dog.

You can get a 4L (the old school OHV 4L) into the 15s with only $500 in mods.
  • Options
    "Yeah, but the tested the Ranger at 11.55 and the
    Mazda at 14.62."

Keep in mind that they decide to test an AUTOMATIC 4L Ranger and a manual 3L Mazda.

If you really want to post relevant info, post all of the facts.

BTW, it was a manual 3.4L V6 Tacoma.
  • Options
    "Who would like to bet me $1000 cash that I can run a stock Tacoma V-6 5 speed in under 8 seconds? We will find a pro drag track and get a 3 run bets time certified. For that matter, who would like to bet me $1000 that I can't have 3 guys with supercharged Tacomas can run them in 6.5 or less. No BS please. I'mm looking for those willing to put up, and lose, some cash. write me at yourbestman@hotmail.com"

What happend to your "claimed" 5.8s Tacomas??? Did they run out of gas and aren't able to make it to the track???

Like I said... Stories.
  • Options
    "Does that explain it for you ? 18.5 hp/lb is more
    than 17.67 hp/lb. Tahts why the tacoma is faster"

Maybe you should go back and reread that post where I explained about these "mystical" factors that you didn't know existed.
  • Options
    TRD Frank is the one of the huge reasons why people today are treating trucks like race cars. Trucks are for hauling and towing not racing. I personally would like to see how the Torque/HP curves match up between the 3.4 and the new 4.0.
    I am reading all over the net the new SOHC 4.0 will out accelerate the Tacoma 3.4. The Ranger will be available in a 5spd matched with its 4.0 in about 6-9 months. The Ranger Adrenalin is supposed to have a Supercharged SOHC 4.0, I wonder how Toyota will match that.
    $2800 for a supercharger installed, Bull....!! Nice try though..
  • Options
    My local dealer is selling the first generation charger for 2799.00 and i think like 400.00 to install it.Thats where i got the 2800.00 from and i forgot about the install price.
  • Options
    OK, that makes sense now. That seems like a pretty good price given that it doesn't void the factory warranty like a less expensive Paxton or something.

What changes have they made to the S/C? Both the first and second gen are rated at 256hp and 267ft/lbs, right?
  • Options
    "Face it Toyota is now
    3rd in the Engine department as far as HP/Torque is
    concerned.."

Sorry Pal. I have a factory built Tacoma that has around 250 HP and close to 300 torque.

Not only that, but with a manual transmission. This is all warrantied with the rest of the vehicle.
  • Options
    "I have a factory built Tacoma that has around 250 HP and close to 300 torque."

The actual truck was built in a factory. The aftermarket, dealer installed S/C was not. It's an aftermarket part. Or do you consider Saleen S281s and S351s to be "factory built" Mustangs? How about AMG E55s? Are those "factory built" Benz's? And Lingenfelter Vettes? They all come with warranties too.

FYI, a S/C 3.4L V6 has 256hp and 267ft/lbs of torque (per TRD).

If you throw enough money at it, a tuner can make anything quick.
This discussion has been closed.