Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Should I replace my Windshield with SafeLite or BMW?

Soheil7Soheil7 Member Posts: 1
edited April 2021 in BMW
My windshield has a crack that needs to be repaired. Geico (my insurance) is saying that we can pay up to $300 for your quote with the BMW dealership (BMW is going to charge approximately $1,500) so it would -$1,200 out of my pocket. OR, replace it at Safelite with only a $500 deductible.

Would you please share your idea about which one is the best approach? The windshield has sensors and I am a little bit afraid that the non-original windshield would not have the same functionality. However, many people say they are the same.

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,090
    I had Safelite replace the windshield on our Outback a year or so ago, and it had to be calibrated to work with the Eyesight system the car is equipped with.

I had to take it to one of their service centers, but everything went well and there were no issues with Eyesight after the installation was complete.

Regarding a piece of glass that has sensors built into it - I suppose if you're having doubts, then spending the money for an OEM replacement would give you piece of mind.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Soheil7 said:

My windshield has a crack that needs to be repaired. Geico (my insurance) is saying that we can pay up to $300 for your quote with the BMW dealership (BMW is going to charge approximately $1,500) so it would -$1,200 out of my pocket. OR, replace it at Safelite with only a $500 deductible.

Would you please share your idea about which one is the best approach? The windshield has sensors and I am a little bit afraid that the non-original windshield would not have the same functionality. However, many people say they are the same.

Stick with Safelite. BMW service departments are ridiculous on glass.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator