Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey vibration

Comments

• claim5claim5 Member Posts: 22
    Yes, to me it was as if I ran over some speed "ripples" slowly but without the sound. My steering wheel was not affected, either. It was directly front to rear, not side to side.

Do you feel the pulsing on the brake pedal at highway speed when braking? If so, likely culprit would be the front rotors, or at least one of them. :confuse:
  • my07my07 Member Posts: 28
    I've heard of aftermarket brake rotors that were not machined right causing vibration just like out of balance tires.
  • commercialguycommercialguy Member Posts: 9
    Hey all I've had the same problem for over a year now and the dealer said it was a rear motor mount $900 and if that didn't fix it hey would have to do other tests. I showed him the research and they still wanted to pursue that path. I declined and have since brought up the problem to 2 mechanics and then test drove it with my local mechanic.....Bottom Line once he felt the vibration he said they used to have this problem with some Fords and they flushed the Transmission and added some Shudder Stop... Guess what it worked no more shudder and only $110.00. I couldn't believe it.
  • dnicoladnicola Member Posts: 5
    It has been two weeks with a new torque converter, and I have experienced no shuddering. The van seems to be running like new!
    Congrats. for those of us not under warrenty they may want to at least try what I did and use the Shudder Stop after flushing their Trans.
    Used on older auto trans to stop the sticking between gears that caused their shuddering. Don't know if it would help an Odyssey trans, but is a heckuva lot cheaper than having the shop open up the trans. Gunk and several other brands are available at most parts stores.

Just make sure it doesn't cause an overfill of the trans fluid, and I would highly recommend having a shop flush and refill, adding the shudder fix if that's the route you wish to take. I'd probably have done that if mine wasn't under warranty.

My 07 is one week back on the road and still running like new, post new torque converter.
  • redflag1redflag1 Member Posts: 1
    Dealer quoted $2700 for parts and labor to fix my 2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L with rear motor mount and torque converter problems. I located Genuine parts on-line for 1/2 the dealer cost. Looking for quality mechanic in Minneapolis MN area. Please help. Thanks
  • bman344bman344 Member Posts: 2
    All - I have a 2007 EX that has been experiencing the vibration for the past four months. I took it to the dealer in August, but they said they didn't feel it. I took it back yesterday, and the Service Mgr told me they needed to replace the torque converter. In his conversation, he stated it would take the better part of 1.5 days, based on previous jobs. That led to search whether others have had this problem. For all those who have replaced torque converters, does this seem to be "the fix"?

BTW - he did admit they have had to do several of these...
    Yup, had mine replaced recently under warranty and it does clear up the shakes rather nicely. My 07 is still running smoothly.

Apparently this is a much more common problem than Honda will admit to the public. They're fixing all of them that report the vibrations, and had (when mine was done) a shortage of replacement torque converters. Honda should issue a recall but won't, it would blemish their reliability record. It took my dealer several days to get the part, and the better part of two days to fix it. They also have to remove some of the front suspension to get to it so the job includes a total alignment when done.
  • bman344bman344 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the response. Did you have any residual side effects? On mine, when I left the lot, I heard a lot of rubbing/grinding/squealing, especially when turning. I took it back, and the manager told me the dust shield for the brake needed to be adjusted and was taken care of. I picked the car up this evening, and now it almost sounds like a jet plane when I get up to 30-40 mph. There is a high-pitched whine. The vibration and turning noises are gone, but now this new noise. Any thoughts?
    Sounds like something's still out of place on your's. Could even be a plastic undercarriage piece. I just got to the dells, and enjoyed a smooth ride from Chicago and touched 95 with nary a whisper. Wanted to top 100 but traffic was too heavy. Onward to the mall of america tomorrow for the weekend. After getting mine back it's been smooth as silk, no vibrations, strange noises, juddering, or delayed shifting.
    Sorry I couldn't be more help.
  • bnun1bnun1 Member Posts: 6
    My 2005 had this same kind of whine. Everyone kept telling me it was my power steering, but it would still whine while I was driving straight. Sometimes it would be fairly quiet, but other times is was really loud. One cold mornings, there would also be a grinding noise.

It ended up being my crank shaft pulley. The only way the mechanic found it was because it finally broke right after I pulled out of the lot.

Now, if I could only get Honda to admit that the 2005s also have a torque converter issue and help me fix it. I don't have $2K to fix it and the shuddering is getting worse.

I've explained to the service mgr, "So you're telling me that for a 4yr old Honda with 65K miles, $2,500 in repairs is normal?" (crank shaft and torque converter) Ridiculous.
  • ranger80ranger80 Member Posts: 3
    Have you tried asking for factory assistance? My Oddysey was out of warranty and I was able to get Honda to cover a portion of the costs (more than half). The dealership will have to contact the Honda rep to plead your case and get authorization. I guess they typically like to see the mileage below 50k, but it's worth a shot. Remember, be polite, but firm. Let me emphasize "polite". This decision is completely up to the service manager and the Honda rep and if you start becoming the angry costumer, then you might not get very far.
    If for some reason they turn you down, I would get a quote from a reliable local mechanic. I bet the price would be considerably lower than the dealership. Good luck.
  • dnicoladnicola Member Posts: 5
    So far, the torque converter has worked for me. Just got back from a 900 mile vacation; van drove great.
  • tsaistsais Member Posts: 17
    What's the mileage on your Odyssey?
  • timmantimman Member Posts: 2
    I got the same problem. After replacing the torque converter by the local Honda dealer shop, I dont see any improving. The vibration still occurs at the acceleration around 40-50 mph. It seems like the transmission does not shift to the lower gear; therefore, it causes the shudder. I think the Honda should recall this model.
  • tsaistsais Member Posts: 17
    I have a 2006 EX-L, and I hate it because of the poor built quality and the way Honda deals with the problems. Honda definitely HAVE TO RECALL this model.
  • jerdesabjerdesab Member Posts: 11
    I called my local Honda dealer and complained about this vibration. She checked my VIN number and said that my number is included and has to be fix. Honda knew if your Odyssey need a fix for this vibration. They don't want to call it recall. I have a schedule next week and let you know the result. Did I mention the annoying RATTLING sound on driver passenger sliding door is getting worst? I will have them checked too.
  • timmantimman Member Posts: 2
    Just updated the Vibration problem after replacing the torque converter.

I owned the 2007 Odessey EX. The mileage is 37k now. After replacing the torque converter and the software updated by the local dealership, i can feel the vibration is still going on at the certain speed 40-50 mph. After one week from the car was diagnosis, I drove back to the dealer to complain the problem. The service manager department took a short driving test, and he said everything was normal. This is very disappointed me. I can feel the engine is shudder onto my feet @ speed 40-50 mph. I will try to bring my van to different honda dealer to see what they are saying.

Anyone here has the same problem, please share it with us.
    I will have my torque converter service on Thursday. I will let you know the results. We have the same model and year and same vibration issue.

Did I tell you this will be my last Honda?. I will finish my lease and get NISSAN or TOYOTA and NEVER BUY HONDA AGAIN.
  • ricardo_33172ricardo_33172 Member Posts: 34
    Good news to all of you. I have a 2007 Honda Odyssey that I took in today for the third time because of the pulling to the left and found out that there is a recall for the vibration that seems to happen right before the ECO light comes on. So for all of you, go to your local service advisor and ask to see the latest recall for the Honda Odyssey. The bad alignment that my Honda dealership did for me wore the outside of the 2 front tires. I will let you know if they decided to replace them for me free of charge (they should).

I am wondering if all of these problems are because the Honda Odyssey is made in the USA. Does anyone have one made in Japan> Does it have the same problems?
    :(
  • mnodysseymnodyssey Member Posts: 9
    timman,
    i was dealing with same issues. tc was replaced, which got rid of the judder. the vibration never went away. it happens when the van goes into overdrive and you lightly accelerate. it happend at approximately 30 mph, from 48-52 mph and then again at speeds above 70 mph. the dealer acknowledge it and they tried neutralizing the motor mounts. didn't help. we were sick of dealing with the issue so we traded the van in for a subaru forester and bit the bullet on the lost.

hopefully they get your issue resolved. we could have pushed the dealer to do more but i hated going to the dealer every week. good luck with yours.
    Brought my Odyssey to Honda Hillside New York.
    They said they configure the software for vibration issue and adjusted the driver side passenger sliding door due to rattling sound.

Rattling sound disappeared BUT, the vibration became much worst. Before it vibrates at 45-55mph speed. Now, I won another vibration. 2X vibration at 25-35mph speed. I asked to get rid of vibration but instead gave me another vibration. (Buy one take one)
    They may adjusted the software and that's it. Not even bother to test drive before calling me back the it is ready. Now I have to file a day off again to bring back this CHEAP HONDA ODYSSEY.....I should have gotten TOYOTA.

I WILL NEVER EVER EVER EVER BUY HONDA AGAIN.
    I WILL NEVER EVER EVER EVER BUY HONDA AGAIN
    If it is the Torque Converter like mine was my mechanic put in Shudder Stop in the Transmission fluid. If that stops the shudder then you have diagnosed the problem very cheaply. I spoke with the dealer and he said that they don't use additives, even to diagnose. This seems to me to be an easy way to determine if that is the problem. I now have my Odysea in the shop to get the torque converter replaced and they will only cover part of the repair. Mine has 114K miles on it. Good luck with your Toyota, we almost bought that before we decided on the Honda because of the reputation................................................
  • hyuhyu Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2009 Odyssey.
    I alraedy raplaced a transmission torques converter.
    Still I have the same problem.

I reported this issue to BBB.

I contacted a consumer lawyer too.
  • cloudman23cloudman23 Member Posts: 2
    My 2007 Honda Odyssey has over 70,000 miles on it but has had subtle transmission issues almost from the very beginning. Twice, early on, I complained about it's tendency to jerk indecisively between 55 and 60 as though it wanted to go from one gear to another. On the other hand, because my wife drives differently, she noticed a vibration at much lower speeds akin to driving over a washboard road. It only lasts about two seconds according to her. I made sure that the paperwork at my dealership's service department documented my complaint - even though they told me it was a characteristic of the van, dealing with the torque converter and that I would just have to live with it.

I have worked with machines all my life (I'm now 70) and I think I "know" when something is not right. Sure enough - it has gotten progressively worse and when I complained again last week I was told about bulletin 09-053 describing a "judder" from the torque converter lock-up clutch. They complied with the directive to do a PCM A/T software update.

The net result was that the judder is now worse - to the degree that I notice the low speed variation now. It is no longer subtle. My wife had the vehicle all day today and reported to me this evening that the high speed variation is more noticeable too! It reminds me of the chatter that my first car had when starting out in first gear. It was a 1947 Ford and I installed a chatter bar that took care of the problem. Oh, if only the Odyssey fix were that simple!

My dealer, Honda of Ocala, is being very cooperative - the torque converter will be replaced. What concerns me is that this is a design problem and that it will eventually come back in spite of the new part. Sadly, there are people out there who are "living with" the problem because they have not been informed about it. But, to Honda's credit, they seem to be doing a better job than Saturn did with their infamous VTi transmission. I'm still burned over that one and will never buy another GM product as a consequence of the way Saturn has handled it. I'm sorry that they have failed but if their handling of the VTi is an indication of their philosophy - they asked for it.

Another concern I have is the motor mount issue which can also cause vibrations. I will be insisting that the mounts be thoroughly inspected.

I will post the outcome of the torque converter replacement which is scheduled for 12-16-2009 providing the part has arrived by then.
  • ddssjskddssjsk Member Posts: 26
    2007 Oddy Touring: 22,000 miles, Shudder started about 5,000 miles. Had the torque converter replaced about two weeks ago. Went about 50 miles before failure. Hard shudder between 60-70 mph. Have not been able to duplicate the hard shudder but still shudders some at about all speeds. I had always suspected the torque converter issue was also effecting fuel economy. Received 26 mpg interstate before failure, after replacement. Dropped to below 22 mpg. after shudder started again. Filed lemon claim.
    My odyssey is now in another honda dealer for repair. They said that they have to order torque converter and will take couple of days to finish the job.

I will let you know guys the result.
  • momx4plusmomx4plus Member Posts: 1
    Vibration complaints in 07 Odyssey with 64K miles led them to replace both axles. Picked it up as I was headed out of town on a road trip, called from 50 miles away to tell them the problem wasn't fixed but couldn't turn around. Left it again with instructions to keep it til its fixed, and be sure to test drive it. Said they thought it needed alignment. Few days later said they ordered torque converter, would replace at no charge :) Picked up today, was told they had reprogrammed the pcm too. Svc mgr said he thought THAT was really the problem but they went ahead and did the TC too. Drove on highway and noticed immediate difference. Not perfect but VERY MUCH improved. After running errands, engine light is on now. Parked it at my mother's, took her car, and am very very frustrated. First and last honda I'm afraid.
  • sreisssreiss Member Posts: 65
    Looks like I got bit too. I have a 2007 Odyssey EX-L, 22,000 miles. Juddering around 30 mph, sometimes low power on starting from a stop sign. These two, to me, felt like the transmission was trying to get to a higher gear too fast, and not staying in the lower gear long enough. The other symptom was that at times, at downshift, such as when stopping at a stop sign, there would be noticeable CLUNKs as the transmission downshifted.

Had it in to the dealer today, and they confirmed I need to have the torque converter replaced to address the first two items, and the clunk is due to a loose or broken engine mount. Parts on order - will take 1-2 days to repair next month. Will report back.... I must say, after having owned probably 5 or 6 Hondas, this is the most serious issue I've ever experienced, by far.
    Brought my 07 Odyssey to PS Honda in New York. They replaced the converter and just picked up today 12/21/2009. I will be driving to New Jersey this holiday season and let you know guys the result. So far, when I drove home, everything was smooth.

I keep you guys posted.
  • vsmith1vsmith1 Member Posts: 5
    I had my torque converter replaced, under warranty, at 40k. All was fine for about 1000 miles then the problem, judder between 25 -40 mph, came back. Planning to revisit dealer to have them "see" the problem. Has anyone had this problem?
    Mine was great with new torque converter. Then after about 1000 mi the whole thing started again. Yikes. I hope mine gets resolved soon and that yours is fixed for good.
  • matt_n_jenmatt_n_jen Member Posts: 1
    Our 2007 Honda is having the same issue. It happens at low speeds as you are accelerating slowly and your description is right on target. It sounds like you are driving over a washboard road. My condition also got worse when they did the computer update as it happens more frequently now. (Does the cold weather have anything to do with it?)

When I purchased the car I was a little nervous because I believe it was the first year they offered the Econo mode on the engine. I am wondering if it is related to this feature of the engine since it feels like the engine is skipping… not trying to change gears.

If anyone hears about a recall or what the fix is please let me know. We are living overseas in the military right now and return to the US this summer. I will probably have to wait and have a dealership check it out when I return.
  • sreisssreiss Member Posts: 65
    I am having this issue now - expect to have it repaired in January once the dealership gets the parts in. It's referred to as 'juddering' and there is a technical service bulletin on it. They attempt to fix it through software and if that doesn't do it, they replace the torque converter. Here are two links for reference:

The TSB: http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A09-053.PDF
    A reference list of TSBs: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46072
  • summerbreaksummerbreak Member Posts: 4
    Waiting for Honda to call to see if they will stick us with the bill for all the above mentioned issues. Luckily, we have a history of these specific problems dating back to warranty period. Seriously considering investigating how many people are being pushed away being told "there's no problem" and then return to have "major issues" after warranty period. I thought I bought a Honda to avoid this kind of catastrophe.
  • kevin1974kevin1974 Member Posts: 1
    My best friend owns an automotive shop and he researched this problem with the Database they use for problems. HONDA is quite aware of this issue. Our 2005 Odyssey is at the dealership at this time since we purchased the warranty on our used van purchase. We have had the van for one year now with only 50K on the odometer. THE PROBLEM IS THE TRANSMISSION!!!!!! My friend said that we need a new transmission and all of you probably do as well. We have not been told about any recall by the dealership and the will play this off as long as they can as to avoid fixing the problem. They have drained out our transmission fluid and strained it to look for shavings or small parts. How could they not know of this issue when my friend knows about it and he doesn't even work at Honda. They are really trying to HIDE this problem... I am waiting for the call from Honda today and I am going to spill this information to the service manager. My FRIEND says to ask for the codes that they pull. They can pull codes even though the check engine light did not display the problem on our van. Also ask to look at the transmission fluid and smell it. If it smells burned then there is an issue. ANYHOW THE SHOULD HAVE A RECALL ON THIS PROBLEM BUT I DON"T BELIEVE THEY DO!!!!!
  • my07my07 Member Posts: 28
    I have an '07 Touring. I had the occasional judder that was made worse by the software update. My torque converter was replaced a few months ago. Judder seems to be gone but I still have harsh shifts especially downshifts. I have been complaining about the trans since my first service visit in '07. I plan to take my van to a different dealer to see if I can get something other than the default "It's normal" response. I can't wait for my lease to end. Hopefully that will happen before the transmission falls out. I will never again by Honda due to them not taking the corrective actions they should have. I will also tell everyone I know not to go near a Honda.
  • runcaseyruncasey Member Posts: 2
    Our 2006 Odyssey has the same problems, trying to shift into ECO or shudders at about 35 to 40. We lived with it. Last week the check engine light came on but then started flashing with a noticable shudder so we immediatly took it to a dealer. The said the codes and the Honda manual determined that the valves needed adjusting for $375!! Instead I took it to another Honda dealer and they said the same thing. I told them to reset the light and I took it. it drives fine but will not go to ECO at highway speeds but will go into ECO in the neighborhood at 25 to 30. I'm trying to keep a log now but I too think it is a tranny or software problem.
  • ohgroverohgrover Member Posts: 3
    I've had to have my engine mounts replaced, and they charged the heck out of me. Now I get judders at 70 mph on freeway. I hate my 2006 Odyssey. The brakes are really bad also. I've had times on the hills where it's really scary, where the brakes don't stop you like you would expect them to.
  • irishmickirishmick Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 Odyssey Ex-l with the same problems. My aftermarket warranty is screwing me and the BBB cant help me either. The van shakes between 3rd and 4th gear, or around 35 to 45 mph. It seems to go away if you accelerate, does this problem seem like its the torque converter? My wife and I like the van otherwise and we would like to keep it, so do you think its a good idea to start with the torque converter, before replacing the transmission? Email Mike: mjandmj@verizon.net
  • ddssjskddssjsk Member Posts: 26
    A waste of time and money to just replace the converter. I believe the problems with these transmissions go deeper than just converter failure. Other internal transmission problems have to be a contributing factor. If your aftermarket warranty will not pay for a tranny I suggest take what they will pay and pay the difference out of pocket. At least you will have the labor covered and a few dollars towards a reman transmission. Two reputable supplier are H & A Transmissions if you live near the west coast or Jasper Transmissions central and east U.S. The system will need to be flushed, radiator cooler, transmission lines to remove and wear particles. An additional oil cooler
    will probibally be supplied or required by the tranny supplier. I have an 07, had the judder problem since 5,000 miles. Had the recall done, converter replaced, judder started again within 50 miles of dealership after taking delivery of the :lemon: vehicle. Have turned it over to lemon attorney.
  • irishmickirishmick Member Posts: 3
    Do you know for sure that Jasper makes a trans for an Odyssey, because I was told by my service center that they don't?
    Yes, I have an 07 also and same deal w/in a few 1000 miles the problem started all over again. I plan to go back to dealer to have them re-evaluate.
    Yes, I have an 07 EX, same deal, new torque converter didn't fix the problem.
  • lag25lag25 Member Posts: 2
    I'm jumping in kinda late in the game with my 03' Ody. I just dealt with all the problems after being told by a retired Honda tech that there was a bulletin on the 03' trans. Told me he would look for the notice; that was almost two years ago and after calling the dealership in Redwood City and bringing up the faulty transmission issue, he told me the same stuff I read about....no that was another year, not yours The transmission was giving a code for (transmission gear ration out of sync). He said, yea that's your transmission which is going to cost you $5,000 dollars to repair. So, I dealt with all the defects, by diverting to skills honed over the years from primarily owning used vehicles. When my transmission starts to slip, or race in between gears shifts, I throw it in Neutral and then back into gear. I tolerated the vibrations. Thought it was the ripples on the road I've been reading about. I use a certain technique to get my key into the ignition that even James Bond would give a nod; Brute force with touch when the key gets stuck in the ignition while removing it. Power Streering pump's going out when my mech. did the 105,000 mile service/maintenance and replaced the fluid which then started the pump to not function properly. Now, it's due for a smog and I was told none of the lights can be on after the test or it will fail, which limits my options. I could use some insight where some have traveled and found a medium place of satisfaction, even if it's wrong and you had to pay part. I can't understand it, or maybe I just haven't looked at the big picture--that Honda is willing to gamble on the infamous short American memory and continue to lose clients, and regain them in other areas, groups, etc. after weathering the storm. I'm comtemplating non-op and look for a putt-putt to get back and forth from work and figure out my options. White flags up, but not willingly. Luis25
  • dmanning2dmanning2 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking through my paperwork because I believe that I brought the issue up back around 34K miles and now at 60K with no warranty they have identified that I need to replace the torque converter, rear motor mount, power steering pump, power steering fluid reservoir and host of other extras to bring my bill up over $4,000 right before Christmas. I just had the mount replaced by an independent here in town for much cheaper. I bought this vehicle as well to avoid the American Car pitfall of sinking a load of money into it at 60,000 miles. I'm extremely unhappy with that issue and have been touting this vehicle and Honda for about 4 years now...my foot doesn't taste so great now. I'm trying to determine the best course of action...simply writing several letters of disgust to the corporate headquarters or a full scale revolt that would send them back to Japan...although I really don't want to start buying American Cars.
  • 4grandsons4grandsons Member Posts: 22
    According to my local Honda dealer, this is caused by the torque converter going into lockup and is "normal." As you noted, accelerating fixes the issue by forcing the torque converter into lockup. We had the torque converter replaced on ou 2007 Odyssey EX-L, but it did not fix this specific issue. Your dealer will want to start by replacing the torque converter as that is Honda's approved course of action. Good luck!
  • runcaseyruncasey Member Posts: 2
    Our 2006 Odyssey has the same problems, trying to shift into ECO or shudders at about 35 to 40. We lived with it. Last week the check engine light came on but then started flashing with a noticable shudder so we immediatly took it to a dealer. The said the codes and the Honda manual determined that the valves needed adjusting for $375!! Instead I took it to another Honda dealer and they said the same thing. I told them to reset the light and I took it. it drives fine but will not go to ECO at highway speeds but will go into ECO in the neighborhood at 25 to 30. I'm trying to keep a log now but I too think it is a tranny or software problem. Sine I posted this I had Pep Boys read their codes and reset the light. Their codes said misfire of #5 and 6. Ten mile after they reset the code light the van drove fine except it wanted to go into ECo in the neighborhood; not just the highway. The light went back on after 12 miles and the problems resumed. Now trying to gather as much info and ammunition as possible for a visit to the service manager. Hope to take him for a ride so I can duplicate the problems. I guess if that doesn't work should I contact Honda?
  • robhorobho Member Posts: 9
    2007 EX-L. After having the power steering resevoir replaced (terrible whining sound when turning the steering wheel in cold weather after driving for a hour), I noticed this "juddering". When I brought the van back to the dealer for service the service rep looked up my vehicle, verified that they updated the transmission software during one of my regularly scheduled service visits and pulled out the bulletin that said the torque converter (TC) needed to be replaced. After reading some of these posts I am very skeptical of the end result. I bring it in tomorrow to have the TC replaced and we will see how it goes. Only 27,000 on our Odyssey, good thing we have an extended warranty, I don't like the relationship between a transmission and software :confuse: