Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Toy, Model & Collectible Replica Cars

Comments

• lemkolemko Philadelphia, PAPosts: 15,306
    ...when I was a kid, the local Ford dealer was giving away fliers for the 1974 Mustang II that included a cutout of the car that you could fold and paste for a paper model.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 47,543
    Ha those are kind of neat, you can really modify them and crash them
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 11,077
    Given that I have difficulty drawing stick figures that are recognizable, these might actually provide me with a creative outlet to produce a result that's identifiable as a vehicle. Plus, get some glitter glue and presto! Really cool pinstripes.

Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

Shoot, when I was a kid, I'd make very detailed models of cars out of modeling clay and smash them against a wall or each other to see what they would look like after a crash-test. Rather than being solid blocks of clay, I'd hollow out portions for the interior, trunk, and engine compartment and mold separate doors, hoods, trunk lids, engines, exhaust systems, bumpers, wheels, grilles, roofs, and interior components. Funny how most of the results would mimic real crash tests.
    Wow, that's a lot more than I ever did.

When I had a toy car that had a broken axle or some other unrepairable defect (once I broke the rivets to try a repair, it would never go back together correctly), it would usually fall victim to a hammer or the foot operated part of an old treadle sweing machine to simulate a crash. Then my little brother noticed me doing this, and ruined some of my good cars! I still remember the Matchbox RR Shadow and Majorette Saab EMS he crushed. As those toys were out of production when I had them, I was really mad.
  • boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,440
    I destroyed most of my Bburagos that I brought over from Italy like that. I took them to the parkade and just smashed them against the concrete walls. I kinda regret it now. :sick:

boomchek: driven 10,000+ cars, sold 1000+ cars, owned 50+ cars

Haha...my Bburago Rolls Camargue got "driven" out of a second story window once it was in beater condition. It landed mainly on its roof...it was pretty cool.
    Was it a 1:18 scale off white color? My cousin had one like that.

Yep.

It was an odd car, one of their earlier models. The scale was more like 1:22, it just seemed smaller than my other cars.
    My Bburago collection was all 1:24 scale and consisted of:

White BMW 6 series (that you put together)
    Silver Rolls Royce Silver Shadow
    Black GTi (that I still have
    Blue Rover Metro
    Porsche 944
    Black Ford Mustang Police car (same as on the mystery car pix thread right now)
    Yellow Land Rover Range Rover 3 door with the flip up tailgate
    Ferrari Boxer

I still have some left over including a white Porsche 911.

About 4 years ago when I was with my ex, she was nuts about Vipers, and we pretty much bought up any Viper model we could find.

She had a nice collection of Viper models of all scales too. Too bad she took it with her.

I remember those kits. I never bought one though...never saw the advantage over the built models, as they cost the same here. I remember them mainly being the Porsche 911 and vintage cars, too.

Some odd stuff there, all purchased in Italy? That Shadow is also one of the earlier Bburagos I think, along with the Land Rover.
    Yeah, I had them all when we lived in Italy. I wasn't able to take all of them with me unfortunately.

I had a little catalogue of the cars I should have kept, cause it had a lot of the early models there (including some cool California van conversion with a surfboard).

Wow, I've never heard of a van like that.

I have a Bburago catalogue from 1987 packed away somewhere. By then cars like the Shadow were out of production.
    Sounds like it's little over $10/car. It might be hard to justify to your loved ones if you blow $1500 at once, instead of over the span of a year.

The joy of being single, nobody to explain things to. I bet lemko could swing it too.

I have no interest in starting an ebay toy shop (I bought a large lot of stuff to sell on ebay a few years ago, and I made money...but not a high wage given the time involved), but for a collector...it might be good.
    That's the nice part of being single, yes. However I don't mind having my fiancee keeping me in check once in a while.
    She's already getting fed up that I bring so much "junk" home from work including banners, ads, vinyl promo materials, brochures, and anything else car related.

But I think I would have a hard time justifying spending $1500 in one shot on those cars unless I really really wanted them (even then I'd have a hard time).

If I worked for a MB dealer, I would be in trouble, I can say that. I am also lucky I have a smallish apartment limiting my crap...I won't be one of those people paying rent on a storage room for their knicknacks.

$1500 doesn't buy many a huge amount of vintage material...so if you like that new stuff, it could be rationalized.

Lately, my Matchbox fever has faded...I have all the cars I want, or want to make room for. No more obsessive feelings lol. And most other things I like are painfully expensive, so maybe I'll cut back.
    Looks like I'll be renting some kind of storage after the wedding because I don't think the apartment we'll move into will hold much stuff, especially this back end of a Civic I brought from work (used to a demo for backup sensors/backup camera, alarm etc.)

Speaking of MB, I should tap into my resource at one of the MB dealers here (I know a guy I went to school with in parts). I have an MB calendar which is about foot and a half by two feet big, with really nice MB photography. I know they had these a few years ago but can't find them anymore. Maybe he knows.

Ha, that's pretty cool. Does the trunk detach, so you could make it into a weird sort of chair, or could it be used as a table or something? I guess the better half probably wouldn't allow such a thing though...

If I worked for MB, I would be skimming all kinds of stuff...sales material, promo stuff like calendars and models, and I am sure service areas get their share of emblems and other parts.
  • Our shop foreman has his Massive 1,500 lbs plus tool box decorated with various rover bits.

He has the complete Range Rover lettering across the front and various other badging.
    The trunk lid is fixed in place so it doesn't open. My better half is ok with the stuff I have, she just gets annoyed when I bring more junk home.

When I first started with Honda I felt like I was in heaven: free brochures, and promo stuff. I guess the other guys are not into this stuff too much so before they chuck anything away they always put it aside for me cause they know I'll take it.

I just brought home a few months ago these huge dealer paint tiles for 2005/2006 Honda models, with fabric samples as well.

If you can you should make contact with someone in your local MB dealer and you might get some stuff. You'd be surprised how much brochures, posters, cardboard showroom displays we throw out every year (basically the stuff that I have no room for).

I am sure the high end brands are no different.

• Yeah we just threw out a bunch of 2005 and 2006 stuff that we have no more room for. We kept a few things for help with used cars but every thing else was tossed.
    If I were in your area I would have been at your door step immedietaly. :blush:

I should see if they have an attic, I wouldn't mind finding a fintail showroom poster or banner...if they even bothered with such a thing
  • I have a 1/60 scale majorette toy flatbed transport truck and the cab is yellow and says "TP ENTERPRISE" on it and the flatbed is light grey. It used to have a folding plastick ramp at the back, but it broke off.What is this toy called? Can you please post a picture of yours if you have one and see if it matches the one I discribed? Thank you. :D :)
  • I found out what truck it is! It is No.4503 Heavy duty transporter. Do you have this? If you do, can you place pictures of it here?
    ...one of those neat gasoline-powered model cars built by Cox Industries? I used to have a nice model dune buggy built by Cox back around 1973. I was only about 8 years old back then, but I think they had a two-stroke engine and ran on a special fuel similar to the stuff you use in a weed-whacker. There was also a power pack consisting of a series of C-batteries connected by a copper wire that would activate a glow plug. Once the glow plug warmed up, the engine started and you let 'er rip!. It was a lot of fun, but you had to clean up an oily mess from spilled fuel.
  • I had a Pinto gas-powered drag racer. It was a round-de-round where you put a stake in the ground and the car was attached by a line. You started the car up and it went really fast...in a circle. I haven't got a clue what happened to it.

As for models, I've got well over 150 1:12, 1:18, 1:24, 1:43, and 1:87 models. Some of them are pictured on my CarSpace page.

Some of my favorites include a Jaguar X-Type (1:87), Bugatti EB110 prototype (1:43), 1996 Dodge Caravan (1:24), 1947 Chrysler Town and Country (1:18), and a 1964 Ford Mustang (1:12).
  • pantiomepantiome Posts: 1
    image" I was Wondering how much this car is worth its a Telsalda Jaguar "S" Type Saloon In perfect Condition with all the special features i.e Opening Boot, Spare Cheel, Three oppening luggage and a roof rack) its scale is empire and i think it is a 1965 jaguar "s" type saloon. Also it has a High Power Friction Motor.

Thankyou in advance,
    Joe Stewart