Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Mazda CX-9 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• brickfrenzybrickfrenzy Member Posts: 38
    Mazda USA just updated their special financing deals on the website, but doesn't seem to include the CX-9 for 60 months. Does anybody know if there's an expectation that they might include some financing deals in the near future on this car? I really want to buy one soon, but at 6-7% interest, I am very hesitant.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Does anybody know if there's an expectation that they might include some financing deals in the near future on this car? I really want to buy one soon, but at 6-7% interest, I am very hesitant.

Mazda is currently only doing special rate financing up to 48 months on some models but nothing on the CX-9. They are currently running lease specials..Mazda doesnt give us advance notice on any special financing but I don't expect a long term rate incentive anytime soon.
  • steevosteevo Member Posts: 389
    Those lease specials look pretty weak. The Money down adds up to well over 100 dollars a month additional on all those models listed. Not very competitive when compared to Nissan or Honda Leases. I am very interested in the CX-9 and possibly a Mazda 3 5-door for myself, but am not sure the bang for the buck is there. I would be replacing an 05 Pathfinder LE and an 05 Maxima SE. Negotiated via email. Both cars are LOADED..DVD, XM radio, etc. I pay 401 for the Pathy and 378 for the Max.(15,000 mile leases, tax prepaid..) I am hoping I can get a CX9 without the Nav or DVD for less than 425 and a 3sGT LOADED for less than 250. My gut tells me I'll end up with a Pilot and a 4 banger Altima...
    Slightly off topic but, what are the "best" leasing vehicles right now?
  • jg6jg6 Member Posts: 70
    Try a leasing forum.........
  • steevosteevo Member Posts: 389
    I did state that I was going OT...Feel free not to reply..
    Funny, THe following is at the top and bottom of the page I am on...but I think the link is to Prices Paid and Buying Experiences..

You are here: [F] Forums / SUVs / Mazda CX-9 / Mazda CX-9 Lease Questions
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    Erm... I think that was my goof, so give steevo a break on this one. Everything should work fine now.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• k1922k1922 Member Posts: 14
    Wow. You are really smart. Have you worked for a dealership before?
  • joesmith1joesmith1 Member Posts: 6
    I am in the market for a GT with assistance package and eligible for S-Plan rates.

I recently recieved a quote from a dealership near Boston.

Since they have to order the GT with Assitance Package (expected in Sept) they want to charge me an additional "ordering fee" of $1500.

Has anyone else run into this?
  • sellstar1sellstar1 Member Posts: 19
    Find another dealer....this vehicle is being discounted too much for anybody to put up with that. Sounds like they're trying to discourage the order and get you to buy one that's on the lot. Good luck.
  • momsbmwmomsbmw Member Posts: 7
    I agree with sellstar1 - look for another dealer. I just picked up GT AWD with assistance package and rear entertainment system today. The sales rep said that it was the first GT with the assistance package sold in the NY Metro area. Not sure if that was just a line or not....
    Good luck!
  • arclightarclight Member Posts: 2
    Momsbmw,

Do you mind stating which dealer you got your GT AWD from and in what color package?

Thanks,
    I picked up my lovely Stormy Blue CX-9 GT AWD last night. Sand interior, with Navi, moonroof, homelink, and wheel locks. I got it for the S-Plan price.

Making the deal, though was an adventure. I ended up playing 2 dealers against each other to get a better value for my trade. Dealer 1 had the vehicle I wanted, so I test drove it with them first. They wouldn't meet the trade-in value I wanted (I wanted $12k, they offered $10,500), so I went crosstown to another dealer. Dealer 2 would've had to dealer swap for one. They offered me $11,500, which I told the Dealer 1. They then matched it. So I told Dealer 2, who bumped it up to $12k. When I told dealer 1 that as well, they finally matched where I wanted to be at the very beginning.

I really didn't like doing that, but it got me the deal I wanted on the car I wanted.
    I bought a Copper Red GT AWD with sand interior, GT assist pkg, Rear entertainment pkg, and remote start from Westchester Mazda in Elmsford NY. Overall good experience with negotiations. I am leasing the car for $507/mo for 36 months and 15K miles per year.
  • wareverwarever Member Posts: 28
    How much down? You could get a $1 a month lease payment if you put down almost the entire purchase price.

So if you put down $3,600 for that 36 month lease, you're REALLY paying $607 a month (more, really, if you consider the future value of money - which is the concept that $100 buys more today than it will in the future so $100 paid on a vehicle today is worth more than $100 paid on a vehicle 2 or 3 years from now).
    Thanks for pointing that out. My final lease deal was the following:
    Cap cost - $36906
    Residual value - $21535
    acq. fee - $595
    Reg. fees - $200
    NYS taxes - $1450
    Money paid at signing - 595+200+1450+507(1st mo) = 2752
    No money down. After reading the various forums, I know that money down on a lease is a waste.
    I just purchased a GT AWD in the Boston area. I had the S-Plan, but they really didn't seem to care. They never asked for my number. I got everything at invoice plus their added fees. I hope this helps someone.

Here is the breakout of my costs:

CX-9 Grand Touring AWD
    $31,322.00

ASSISTANCE PACKAGE (with power open and close rear hatch)$2,150.00

MOONROOF/BOSE/6 CD PACKAGE
    $1,514.00

MOONROOF WIND DEFLECTOR
    $40.00

REMOTE ENGINE START
    $280.00

ROOF RACK
    $200.00

All Weather Floor Mats
    $100.00

Total for CX-9 & options:
    $35,606.00

Destination Fee
    $595.00

Administration Fees
    $294.00

Licenseing Fee
    $5.00

Protection +
    $199.00

License Plates
    $86.00

5% tax
    $1,810.05

Grand Total: $38,595.05
  • ej0335ej0335 Member Posts: 1
    Looking at CX-9, FWD with a sticker of $38,005. Any thoughts on an offer price would be greatly appreciated.
    NY makes you pay the sales tax for the ENTIRE purchase UP FRONT? Here in California, we pay the sales tax on the lease payment each month - because there IS no "sale" except for that lease payment.

If you're BUYING a car, however, that's another matter; the sales tax is applied up front to the whole selling price.

Good for you about the money down. Throughout the years, dealers have loked at me like I was nuts when I said I didn't want to put much down... but the whole point of a lease is that you're paying for the USE of the car, not BUYING it.
    In NY, you only pay taxes on the cost of the car that you use. You can pay the taxes up front or roll them into the payment. When you roll them into the payment, basically you are financing the taxes through Mazda. So instead of paying taxes plus interest to Mazda, I just pay up front.
    Unless things are different in NY (with tax due up front on the spread), I think you might be a bit confused.

On a purchase, the sales tax is calculated on the entire purchase price and then added to the purchase price. License and any other fees are then added. The downpayment and trade-in and are then deducted, leaving the amount to finance, which is then broken into payments with interest added. So in a purchase, the sales tax is being financed along with everything else.

On a lease, though - at least here in California and probably most other places - the lease payment is calculated based on the purchase price less any capital reduction (downpayment) and/or trade-in. The monthly lease price is calculated using the money factor and the spread between the cap cost and the residual (the formula is a BIT more complex than that but that's basically it). THEN, sales tax is calculated EACH MONTH based on the monthly payments. There is NO finance charge on any sales tax; it isn't due up front and isn't included in any payment calculations (except for being added to the TOTAL amount you have to pay each month).

In fact, it can and does change - so there's NO WAY to ACCURATELY calculate the entire amount of tax due up front. How? Well, if your local tax rates change, the amount of tax due each month will change as well. It has done that to me several times in the past as the local tax rates have gone up and down (down when there's a surplus and up when they raise them or when the surplus is gone).

What you're doing is not merely prepaying sales tax that there's interest on because there isn't; you're reducing the capitalized cost of the vehicle... that "downpayment" you said that you read not to do.

I think when you get your statements, you'll see they'll show the payment and the tax added each month (depends on the financial institution whether they break it down each month but they're supposed to).
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,217
    momsbmw knows her stuff...

NY sales tax on leases is figured exactly the way she described.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

As I said... "unless things are different in NY" (and I was asking whether tax is due UP FRONT in NY).

I checked. According to the NY State Department of Taxation and Finance, notice N-90-12, "Before June 1, 1990, the tax was computed on the amount of each lease payment and collect at the time each payment was made; on and after June 1, 1990, the tax will be computed based on the total amount due under the lease agreement at the time of inception."

This IS very different from California, which uses the New York "pre June 1, 1990" rules.

Yet another reason I'm really glad I don't live in New York.

Except that tax here in Los Angeles is 8-1/4% and I've read that it is only 6% on a vehicle in NY (but then, isn't it something like 11% or 12% on normal purchases?).
    I ordered a CX-9 GT AWD on Saturday. They are ordering it from the factory. As of today (Tuesday), I was told that they were unable to give me the estimated build date.

Does anyone know how long it should take them just to be able to tell me when to expect my new car?

Thanks
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Does anyone know how long it should take them just to be able to tell me when to expect my new car?

Due to model year change over your looking at Aug. production and apx sept/oct delivery.
  • newcx9newcx9 Member Posts: 4
    I recently purchased a Grand Touring CX-9 with moonroof,and assist package. I wanted the auxilury port to work so I asked for the dealer to install the splitter box. I also wanted Sirius radio so they put both items on a due bill. I took my car in today for them to perform the install and when I got the car back they had put an after market unit under the temperature controls, an on/off button in the center storage space. They told me that this is the only way to get Sirius if it isn't installed at the factory. The unit is blue and ugly and I hate the way it looks in my 40k car. Anyone have any advice or information?
    ...and we love it so far! Got the blue with moonroof/bose package and beige interior for about $3300 under sticker. Great ride on those big 20" tires. Turns heads on the street as there aren't that many of them out there yet. Haven't tried the iPod port yet...need to do that I suppose. Had to back order the remote start. Told them I didn't want after market piece so not sure when the Mazda piece arrives. Bought at Jim Ellis in Atlanta...great experience in purchasing a vehicle. Even though the first one they got me got damaged while sitting on the lot, I suppose it was worth the wait to get the color combination we wanted.

Wife happy....great news for me!
  • crazybuscrazybus Member Posts: 1
    We took delivery of the vehicle 2 days ago, which will be my wife's car. Great deal - slightly under invoice at $32,800 (MSRP was $35,370) on the deal for a GT with the Moonroof/Bose package, roof rack, wheel locks and cargo net.

It drives beautifully. It's hard to believe how many goodies come standard in this car for a great price!
  • laker34laker34 Member Posts: 27
    Which dealer did you purchase your CX-9 from? Please post pictures!
  • winedogswinedogs Member Posts: 102
    Crazy Bus - was this a AWD or a FWD version?
  • suomi8suomi8 Member Posts: 16
    Hi newcx9,

Your dealer is 100% incorrect. I got the exact same car you did and had them install Sirius in it and it is built into the navigation unit just like it would be if it were factory installed. All GT CX-9's come satellite ready which means the dealer just needs to run the antenna wire and plug the Sirius into the back of the satellite. It then runs just through the navigation screen just like your FM/AM radio. If your dealer doesn't believe him ask why they put a SAT button next to the navigation screen.

Sorry your dealer gave you some bad info and installed it incorrectly - tell them to reinstall that bad boy!
  • mademade Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone in the Central to South New Jersey area, purchased a CX-9 recently?. Options i'm looking at are the nav, moonroof, 6 cd, remote start, and possibly homelink with compass. These dealers in my area are quoting me 37 and change and i'm thinking thats way too much. Someone pls advise as to a fair price...joesmith1, thank you so much for that breakdown, very helpful...$37,300 without tax and tags seems a bit much right? And thats supposedly the internet price quote!
    2wd? AWD? Sport, touring or GT?

For those options on an AWD GT, $37k is about right.
    was thinking AWD GT, but looking at the breakdown of Joesmith1 it seems pricey esp since its before tags and license. Joesmith1' from Bostons breakdown with similar options came to 35,600 before tax...
  • svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    I am also looking to buy a CX-9 in Nj, but it appears that a good price is like beauty (..in the eyes of the beholder).Some of us include taxes,plates,doc fees etc as part of what a good or bad price is, I for one, believe that the CX-9 price comparison should be exclusively on the vehicle and all the options include.My take is that agood price should be a reasonable number between dealer invoice and MSRP (most oftem dealer invoice is about 10% less than MSRP), it also depends on availability,and most of all on demand.
    We should be reasonable in our expectations in order not to let go a good deal because of our misinformation,just my opinion.
    I got a quote from faulkner mazda for 35,900 for a GT 2WD, nav, roof rack, rmt starter, free all weather mats, 6cd, wheel locks and moon roof. This i feel is a fair price quote. I never include tags and taxes cause thats non-negotiable. So i consider only the price of the car when debating on a good deal or not, then i add the rest...
    In my opinion that is the way to do it,but most people do not think like us. i am looking to get a GT AWD,dvd,nav and a few other things like locks mud flaps etc but they are dealer installed. The problem that I am experiencing is that I can not find a liquid metal with tan interior...black interiors are hard to keep looking clean and the wife really dislike them...you know when the wife says no to something you better give in than put up a long fight...lol
    svofan2, please let me know if you get any good quotes and from what dealer in NJ okay. txs
  • spsmykspsmyk Member Posts: 4
    AWD GT - Black Mica, Black Leather, GT Assist, Moonroof, Autodimming/Homelink, Roof Rack, Splash Guards, Wheel Locks - $500 over invoice.

Got a fair trade-in value - above Manheim pricing, but below Blue Book.

I used autoadvocates.com - told them exactly what I wanted and they did the rest. I only had to go in to show my trade in, then went back the next day to sign the paperwork and pickup the car. Saved so much headache with the dialing/emailing negotiation process - they charged me $249 and if they didn't find me the car I wanted at the price I wanted there was no charge...thought it was worth a shot and I'll use them for the next purchase.
    I have talked to Wayne Mazda, they seem to be fairly decent,when i mentioned that my son gets "S plan" the salesman said on the phone that he will get me the same plan if I get him the pin#,(which it is how the system works),even thou the plan is only for my son and his wife not parents. Wayne Mazda is the largest in the country,but Iheard from others that they did not like them ($289 for docs and almost forcing etching as part of the deal). I believe that we all have different expiriences and it all depends when we hit the dealers too...
    Spsmyk, could you elaborate more on the buying service that you used?....can tell them exactly what you want and then what?..thanks for all the good info...the hasle with the dealer is worth some money to me..I tend to loose it with them..
    svofan2, what is the "S Plan" i keep hearing about it...
    Ths S plan in the Mazda world is the same as the x plan in the Ford world...it is supposed to be a few dollars below dealer invoice. This is courtesy that the manufacturer extends to those that work for companys doing business with Ford, mazda etc...the plan is good for employee and spouse only...but I am pretty sure that the dealers find a way to get over...like $900 for advertising fees....$289 doc fees..etc get it?....but still is a good deal.
  • astaasta Member Posts: 122
    I'm considering the CX-9 and have just started the looking process. Currently drive a dodge dakota 4WD quad cab pick-up and want to get out before 100K warranty is up. not many choices for mazda dealers here in L.A. area. Would like to hear from California (or even Arizona and Nevada buyers regarding deals they've done. Would being looking at AWD sport model with moonroof/bose system, 6-disc CD, wheel locks, homelink, power seat and splash guards as options. Invoice on edmunds is $31, 134.
    So I finally got it fixed a couple of Fridays ago. They got the sat radio installed through the nav system. I am planning on sending a letter to Mazda though. I now have some marks on the inlet under the climate controls and a hole in the back of that space.
    So I have figured out that the best way to get a good deal is to try online first. I went through carsdirect.com and requested a dealer quote. Carsdirect.com was quoting about 1-2k under sticker price, I got emails from a couple dealerships in the area. One gave me invoice plus fees for a price quote. I just took that email into a dealership that I had done a test drive in and they matched the price. They did a search and found a car in the area that met most of my criteria (I wanted the blue, but got black cherry mica). Sticker on my car was $37,780 and I paid $34,824 plus $849 to add Sirius and the splitter box.

Not a bad experience all in all until I went to get the Sirius installed.... complete nightmare. But I recently got all that fixed. I LOVE MY CAR!!! The salesperson that I went through said that we picked the best way to get the car, by going through the online search first. It doesn't give them any room to try to jack the price up on you.
  • laker34laker34 Member Posts: 27
    Which dealer in CA did your purchase your CX-9 from?
    What kind did you purchase, sport, touring or GT? Also please list any options or packages you might have added...
  • okeyobiozookeyobiozo Member Posts: 8
    This is a bit outside the topic. But I was wondering if I could compare this with anyone. I got a CX9 GT a couple of months ago in Baltimore MD. $38,000+ : Navi, Bose system, Backup Camera, moon roof, wheel locks. Did I over-pay?
    We paid about $32,400 for FWD GT, Moonroof, Auto Start, Bose, wheel locks, cargo net, cargo cover and splash guards. Bought at Jim Ellis in Marietta, GA. So I didn't get the Navi or backup camera but got remote start instead. But, you got yours two months before me as well.
  • winedogswinedogs Member Posts: 102
    Okeyobiozo,

Why torture yourself. What will knowing change anything? The deal is done. Just enjoy the ride!