Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac Escalade

Comments

• AWD - 49,990 from Cadillacs site. Not sure of the 2WD.
  • I have added several new polls to the GMSUV forum at http://www.delphi.com/GMSUV as well as a new section just to house the polls.

If anyone has a suggestion for a poll question, please feel free to send it to me.

Clifford Martin
  • I was nosing around the Caddy website, and there's a page for getting info on the Escalade EXT, whenever they decide to release it. Did I miss something? I've seen no reference for a different Escalade trim package until now. Does anyone know anything about it? Or is it a completely different vehicle (a la Lincoln Blackwood)? Tccad1, any ideas?
  • robh3robh3 Posts: 157
    From what I have read in auto magazines, the Escalade EXT is the Lincoln Blackwood killer. It'll be a lucury "pickup truck" based on the Escalade. ...An amazing change taking place at Cadillac!
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Been reading in many different magazines about the '02 Escalade and it is getting great reviews everywhere. With gas prices expected to fall in the new year, these new Cadillacs should fly out of the dealer lots.
  • Any Dealer sightings yet? Is the January 2nd for sale date still a go?
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    You guys getting the new 2002 Escalade will benefit from GM's part ownership of Isuzu :) You'll be getting the power folding mirrors that our Troopers have had for years! (The Mercedes ML and Range Rovers also have em) They are one of the best things for todays SUVs. I know that I use them in parking lots and parrallel parking all the time. I would not normally fold in my mirrors unless it was a tight fit, but with the power mirrors, it definitely makes it more convienent.

Does anyone know what kind of system the new AWD version of the Escalade is going to be using? I'm curious if it's going to also use a variation of the borg-warner TOD system that the Troopers use. Hopefully it will be, because the AWD/TOD system on them is excellent (and GM already partly owns the technology)

-mike
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,788
    I'm certain it's the same unit used in the new GMC Denali.

Bob
    Is it the same unit as the Suburban/Tahoe? (The auto-engaging 4wd unit?) I've heard you really have to spin the rear wheels to get the fronts to kick in on the Ford and GM auto-engaging 4wd unit. Just curious what kind of torque split the AWD is getting.

-mike
    No, it's not. It is an AWD unit, not a On-Demand unit (no 4WD Auto mode, or any other mode, for that matter), and it doesn't have a low range.

GMC is also introducing a Denali-like pickup, the "C," (I'm not sure(?) if that is the correct label for the pickup, but it's close) with the same unit as standard.

Bob
    Bob, do you have any links? I'm suprised there is no low range. That is a major bummer. Not that I could afford a Caddy SUV anyway.

-mike
    I agree. While I like the AWD feature, I don't like the lack of a low range—as you may have gathered by my earlier posts on this board.

No, I don't have any links. If you go to the Caddy or GMC site, they may have additional info.

Happy Holidays! *<:-)

Bob
    Bob,
    I agree with you, AWD is great, but not at the expense of a low range available. That's why I like my Trooper and XT6 :)

Happy Holidays

-mike
    Isuzu Forum Spokesman
    Edmunds Isuzu Forum
    IA Trooper Homepage
    On my trip back from the adirondacks today, I thought about the caddy/denali AWD system. Perahaps it is the venerable unit used in the astro/safari vans? They are permenant awd, with no low range.... Just a thought.

-mike
    Isuzu Forum Spokesman
    Edmunds Isuzu Forum
    IA Trooper Homepage
    I think you're close. Perhaps a beefed up version of that?

Bob
  • I know where 2002 Escalades are on order and ready for sale when they arrive. Anymore questions you can email me at pahnkescott@hotmail.com I also have prices and options.
  • Anyone know of any dealerships accepting deposits on 02 Escalade in MD/DC Metro area?
  • I have heard that some dealers have the '02's on their lots now! Anyone seen them? I am choosing between an X5 and the Escalade. I know it seems like apples to oranges, but after months of research that is where I net out.
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    My dealership told me they will have a couple in 1-2 weeks. They are coming..
  • to see it in person. Every review I have read of it has been glowing. From all indications it should jump straight to the front of the fullsize SUV pack.
  • glouerglouer Posts: 6
    Well, yesterday 1/30 actually. Here in Dallas I have seen 3 colors --- red, black & silver sand --- hoping to see green. Red is outstanding, not garish. Black is black. Silver sand not top color IMHO. Like someone else a couple posts back, I've narrowed my list down to the Escalade and the X5. Haven't driven the X5 yet, but the Escalade was really great for the very short time they let me drive it, especially to this Suburban owner. The most pleasant surprise, however, was that it is so much better looking than the photos in car magazines and on the web .... but of course colors and design are individual preferences so you'll have to see it yourself. My own opinion of its looks is that it has sculpted horizontal lines along the sides that really enhance its already very macho look. I must say the best looking SUV on the road, with the X5 a close 2nd. The front end may put some off for a bit, but I think it's great. I want to take a longer drive next time and at highway speed. If anyone has any suggestions of particular possible problems I should watch/listen for, or things that they would like me to look for to satisfy their curiosity, I would be happy to check it out next time I get to drive one .... probably in a day or so. My wife, who is short, had some trouble, by the way, getting into the X5 because of the very narrow running board. I doubt we'll get the X5, but I wonder if a single U-shaped bar could be attached to make getting in easier. She had no such problem with the Escalade. The only Escalades anyone is getting now, as I understand it, are the AWDs, and the price is msrp.
  • Has compared the 2001 Toyota Limited Sequoia to the 2002 Escalade?
    I was also wondering if the 3rd row seating would actually accommodate adults with leg room and also allow a couple of suite cases and some gear in the rear?
    If someone test drives an AWD version, could they do some heavy stop light acceleration and let me know how the seat of the pants dyno test goes. How much get up and go does it have.

-mike
  • Your preliminary review was great. I can't wait to get more info on the ride and handling. With 345hp and 380 Torque the Caddy is a BEAST!
  • While I can't give you exactly what you asked for, my 2001 Denali XL is very impressive from a full stop. It accelerates very strongly, & the 6.0 sounds excellent. It won't run with our C5, but it is much quicker than my 454 Suburban, & for the first 100 yards it stays right with my ML55. I'm sure an extra 25HP with the weight savings of the shorter Escalade chassis can only help.
  • Like miamiheat (#264) I would like to know about the leg room of the 3rd row seating in the 2002 Escalade. If the 3rd row flooring is comfy for adults (tall ones) I might wait for one. Most of the large SUVs with 3rd row seating has no leg room because the floor back there is raised. Not true in the Sequoia which is almost as roomy as the back row of a minivan.
  • Went again to one of local Caddy dealers but they didn't have one for test drive. I checked the 3rd row seating accomodations. As you know, there are 2 individual seats that can be removed, or individually folded down. When upright there is plenty of knee room, because you're only about 6 inches off the floor, but no room for legs .... in fact you *have* to bend your knees up to sit .... definitely only for short rides or kids. With one of the two 3rd row seats folded down (making it virtually flush with the floor) there would be room for suitcases over it, but nothing of any size would fit behind the two 3rd row seats when they are both upright. The Buick Rendezvous, due in April, will have several features the Escalade does not, including optional 2nd row captain's chairs (when the optional 3rd row is ordered), plus optional head-up display of speed & several other functions, and a tire-pressure monitor (perhaps standard, not sure). All of this makes me think that the Escalade might very well soon have some or all of those items as well. Still, even as is, it is a fine vehicle except for the aforementioned 3rd row, but many SUVs seem to have a disappointing 3rd row in some manner or other, if they have one at all.
    The Power retracting mirrors are great (I have em on my trooper, they've been on the Trooper since '98)!

Is the 2nd row legroom compromised at all by the 3rd row of seats? I know the 2nd row of the durango is too small due to the 3rd row of seats.

-mike
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    I see that some of of you from the Subaru Crew are here! I most certainly didn't expect that, but glad to have you in this discussion anyway.

BTW, I have changed the title of this topic from "Cadillac SUV..." to "Cadillac Escalde" to better reflect the messages in here.

Please continue! :-)

Drew
    Host
    Vans and SUVs message boards
  • Mike -
    Most definitely the fact that there is a 3rd row imposed the restriction on leg room in the 2nd row, and it is a very narrow floor space in front of the 2nd row, an issue only corrected apparently by the front seat occupants moving forward, which might not be a problem depending on the leg room required for the front seat occupants, as the front seats have a fairly generous amount of fore-aft travel. I don't think there is any fore-aft travel for the 2nd row, however, but didn't actually ask.