Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    it's not a brute-force kind of thing to fix, like burned out bulbs... the LCD panels or ELD panels, depending on which was used, have dinky little contacts and tons of 'em, and so do the chips that drive 'em. my '00 head looks like an ELD, alias little fluorescent light systems with one filament/cathode and a zillion shaped anodes, is in it. if you lose a filament, and there are probably 4 or 5 for the width of that panel, it's all done. these are custom parts, and I can understand why there is no quote over the phone. kinda stinks, tho.
  • njdevilsrnnjdevilsrn Member Posts: 185
    Of the many things on the list of things Ford does not make well are radios. My sister's 1998 Explorer is on its 3rd radio due to lights failing. The dealers wouldn't even bother working on them, just replaced them. Even one replacement came from the factory with an inoperative display.
  • opera_house_wkopera_house_wk Member Posts: 326
    I posted a while ago and finally traced the evaporative leak to the purge solenoid on the charcoal canisters over the spare tire. I removed this assembly and found the solenoid coil totally rusted through. Taking it apart further found the valve plunger stuck from rust, part # 9F945 cost $36. You can blow through this valve and it only closes when power is applied to the coil. The Haynes test seemed inaccurate. Maybe more of you will have this rust problem. Seemed quite severe for the age. Anyone else notice that every part they epoxy coat rusts worse than other metal parts. Epoxy coating remains intact and retains moisture. Also noticed that the rear axle rubber vent hose broken off at the axle from bending stress. Time to check this before you back those boats into the water
  • vlanickivlanicki Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your opinions and experience. I think it is hit or miss with almost any car you can get, but it is helpful to hear what others have had to deal with. any other thoughts are welcomed...
    I bought this vehicle used in December @106K. On my return home from a 3K trip it was starting to idle very rough. When I bought it, I pulled #4 plug (the easiest to get at) and it looked fairly new. Assumed that all the plugs were replaced at about 90K and it passed EPA emissions testing with low numbers. Now at 117K it had symptoms of a fouled plug or bad ignition wire. Pulled #4 plug again and noticed a little carbon buildup at the base. When I pulled the next plug it was old and rusty and IT HAD LONG THREADS. Evidently someone broke the #4 plug and replaced it with a short thread AWSF32PG that wouldn't thread down to the seal surface. It should have been AGSF22PP. I had been fooled originally by only inspectling one plug. That still shouldn't have made it idle poor. When I got to the last plug #1 I found the problem. The plugs insulator had multiple surface cracks that could be felt with a fingernail. Must have been a factory defect since I don't believe this plug had ever been touched. Still I got 19.8 MPG on the return trip pulling a trailer through the mountains.
  • chevyorford1chevyorford1 Member Posts: 1
    OK, I am in the process of trying to buy either a Ford Explorer 96-98 or a Chevy Blazer 4door 96-98. I have been hearing alot of bad stories about recalls on the Fords and transmission failures, etc.. I also heard that the Chevy's were cheaper made and not as realiable. Can anyone out there offer some help in which one is the best and why and what to look out for. Also what type of expenses should be planned for.
    Thanks
  • 11thcav11thcav Member Posts: 9
    I replaced both upper control arms at 53K and the
    transmission was rebuilt at a cost of $1500 at 57K on my '98 Sport. This vehicle has never been abused since I bought it new, and is well maintained.
  • peggi1peggi1 Member Posts: 3
    Due to the Ford replacement program I received new Goodyear tires (16 inch)for my Explorer Sport in March - I have not been completely satisfied. They do not feel to hold the road as well as the Firestones and I now have an intermittent noise problem. During normal stop an go traffic I hear a squeaking/groaning sound when braking, there is a low rumbling sound at slow speeds and what can best be described as a ratchet clicking sound as I turn the wheel. I also now have a squeaking when braking although the brake pads were also replaced at that time the tires were installed.

My local repair shop has checked the brakes and front end and does not find any problems. Since I am off warranty,the Ford dealer wants $85 an hour to begin to look for the problem with no guarantees of course that they will find anything.

I had hoped to keep it several years but have started to look to replace it - I only have 38,000 miles on my Sport. This all started with the tires - is it possible it is not tire related? Does anyone have any ideas on what this could be and how I should proceed??

I appreciate any suggestions / thoughts!
  • gsmpergsmper Member Posts: 1
    My 98 Explorer has been working like a charm, except for my radio display stop working some months ago, and now the rear-doorlock keep the door locked whatever I do.
    Rear door-wiper and all the other door-locks works fine.
    Any idea's ?
  • 11thcav11thcav Member Posts: 9
    Today I called another Ford dealer and they gave me a number for a repair shop in Wilkes Barre, PA.
    I explained that the radio display was out and was told that they would swap my unit for one they had, not new, I assume. The cost was $265.00 plus $30.00 if they pulled the radio for me. I think I'll put up with the dark display.
    If I did not have the CD changer, I would have an aftermarket head unit installed for less than what they want for this replacement. Prior to owning this Explorer, I owned three full size Broncos, so I've been with Ford for quite a while, but this is it with them. Although I basically like the Explorer, there have been way too many things that have gone wrong. In addition to the problems in Post #1407, I had the tach light replaced at a cost of over seventy dollars---for a 79 cent bulb. Then there was the poor factory paint job that neither the dealer nor the "factory rep" would admit was Ford's fault. I was planning on keeping this vehicle for a few more years, but I just don't think that will happen, and no more Fords.
    I did a search for "Ford radio" and came up with lots of hits. Evidently a lot of people switch to a more exotic radio and sell their old one there. Price is up to $150 for CD models. I bought a working exact replacement (tape no CD) for my 97 for $2 at a local flea market. Try local radio install places. They may have trade ins.
    the Customer Satisfaction Program (aka it ain't a recall, but we don't trust the >= KILLER TIRES! tm =<) got me into Generals. on uneven road surfaces, there is a "knobbiness" I can feel and sometimes hear from the blockier tread.

I always thought the >= KILLER TIRES!tm =< were rotten side-sliding stinkers, and they seemed to pack up and spin easier in snow. no complaints at all about the General 600s, they grab and hold. there is absolutely more tire noise on everything except the smoothest of roads due to the tread pattern.

brake squeal is almost certainly another issue entirely, perhaps now that we're in the rainy season instead of the snow season, there is a little more rust on the discs. if they don't squeal like a racer patching out, it's probably normal brake operations. if there is squeal and shuddering on braking, that's probably a warped disc from improper tire mounting and heat; the only repair for that is a new brake disc, but that shows up nicely in a dial runout test.

in short, you're not used to the new tires, they don't whistle in your own key, as I have said for years. I doubt you have serious problems, but if it doesn't feel right, maybe you can get a tire adjustment on somebody else's pulloffs at the dealer or at a local tire store.
    I bought my 97 with Control Trac and it had these tires. I get a lot of road noise at around 30 MPH that sounds like wheel bearings. It's been doing this for 11K. I've driven several times 800 miles in a day with no over heating of the bearings. Differentials and transfer case oil and level looks fine. Inside edge wear on front tires like a toe in problem. Are these tires noisy?
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    Hi!

I had the same problems with my '00 Explorer's brakes as you have mentioned in your post. My truck had a seized caliper, warped rotors, and worn out brake pads (only 23,000 miles on my truck). The dealer replaced the caliper, turned the rotors, and replaced the pads at no charge. Three weeks and 1,200 miles later the rumbling/groaning noise and shaking returned. The dealer determined that the rotors were machined too thin and out of round. They gave me new rotors at no charge. All is well, no squeaking or groaning/rumbling.

If you are getting a sound when turning the wheel, something is definitely dragging. You may want to have another shop or the dealer check out the brake system. Brakes are very important and $85 is worth it to have them looked at. It wouldn't hurt to ask the Ford dealer how long an inspection would take before you have them look.

It only took my dealer one hour to replace my rotors (that included pulling the wheels, checking my old rotors, determining the problem, installing the new rotors, and road testing).

I have had the Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires on my Explorer since the day I purchased the truck new. They were okay when new, but now that they have almost 25,000 miles on them their traction has diminished greatly. They are also not very resistant to road debris. I have already had one repaired by a Goodyear dealer after it picked up 2 nails in the same tire. The sidewalls are also showing wear (the white letters get dirty very quickly and the sidewalls are not pure black any more; they are starting to turn orange/brown) I plan to replace them this winter with Uniroyal Laredo nailguard tires. I have heard good things about them. I may even consider doing it within the next couple of weeks as there is a rebate on a full set right now. That makes the tire very affordable!

You shouldn't let something as easily repairable as brakes and tires prevent you from keeping a vehicle you otherwise have no issues with. Ultimately, new tires and brakes are cheaper than buying a new vehicle (that may ultimately have its own separate set of problems).
  • stubborn1stubborn1 Member Posts: 85
    Hi all,

Just picked up my 98 stripped down Explorer with the old 4.0L V6 and of coarse the owner's manual is missing. I need to change the oil right away but I don't know what the proper grade of oil is. I am assuming that a 5W-30 is just fine, but I'm not sure.

I heard a noise on the way home that is bothering me. With 4wd engaged, I hear an awful grinding/popping sound when I turn a corner at low speeds. Without 4wd engaged, I don't hear any noise cornering. Bad CV shaft maybe?

Also, I can't get the rear door to lock or glass to unlatch. I try turning the key but I get a lot of resistance. I try to push down the lock and get the same resistance. Is there any trick to freeing up the mechanism?

Thanks for the help.
    -Rob
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide can tell you recommended intervals for stuff.

If you want to buy an owner's manual, sometimes you can find them with a google.com search or on eBay. Ditto service manuals.

Otherwise I'm sure the folks in here can help with your questions. Congrats on the new ride.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    I down loaded my 97 manual in Adobe. I got it indirectly from the Ford site. Just remember it wasn't real obvious using the search feature. Your CV joints are active all the time so the problem is probably in the transfer case. Of course, applying a load could make them a lot louder. When I bought my 97 @100k normal driving was a little noisy. Drained the transfer case and the fluid was quite dirty and only 1/4 of the amount it should be. Rear seal on the case was leaking. A new seal, couple of fluid changes later and it is running clean now. No one ever checks the oil in the transfer cases and on this one the exterior was clean with no sign of an oil leak. Remember the 4WD clutch is in this oil bath.
  • dixaronedixarone Member Posts: 21
    Agree with opera_house_wk about the owners manual - I found mine on the Ford site as well in .pdf format. I seem to recall looking for it online from work recently and having a problem finding it again - I think they have redesigned their site, and it may not be there anymore.

As far as oil goes, 5W-30 is recommended by Ford. However, I recently had an oil change and other minor maintenance done at a local garage. When I picked up my vehicle (a '97 Explorer - same engine as you), I noticed after I drove away they had put in 10W-30. I figured no biggie. Now, this is anything but scientific, but it seems like it's driving a bit smoother with the heavier weight oil. I don't really know.
  • stubborn1stubborn1 Member Posts: 85
    I went to the ford website and did a search for owner's manuals. They redirect you to www.fleetford.com. They have owner's manuals in PDF format going back to 99 which is close enough to 98 for me.

Now if I can just get the rear door lock unstuck so I can lock it......
  • thomasibaileythomasibailey Member Posts: 21
    Ever since I've owned this '99' Explorer the ping that comes off the motor at idle or acceleration has baffled me and the "service department" at Ford. So this AM I now read that this may be a faulty cylinder! I have 52,000 on the XLT and and a drive train extended warranty. Does anyone have advice on getting the Service manager to own up to getting the problem fixed?
    Look for a wiring harness just behind the engine block and look to see if the gray OCTANE SHORTING plug is in place. I would also check the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator. This causes a boost in gas pressure when you accelerate.
    My '00 Explorer with the 4.0L OHV V6 makes a clacking sound at idle very much like a diesel engine. Hasn't caused a great deal of concern for me. It is probably just the sound of the overhead valves doing their thing. Which V6 do you have in your '99? The OHV or the SOHC?
  • luckynjcluckynjc Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone else hear a whistling sound from the passenger side of their vehicle when travelling over 45 MPH? I have a 2000 Explorer XLT with a plastic bug shield in front of the hood.

I've applied strips of foam insulation (home window type) to almost every part of both passenger doors and am really getting bugged that I can't get rid of the noise.

It's been there forever, but now that I'm on the freeway more and more, it's becoming real annoying.

The dealer said maybe it's from the bug shield or the large mirrors (regular factory installed). I haven't gotten back to him yet to ask why it's not on both sides of the vehicle then, since each door has the same mirror and bug shield.

Does anyone have suggestions as to what I can look at to quiet this condition?

I realize this is minor compared to engine and tire problems, but if there's a solution, I'd like to hear about it. Thanks.
  • dixaronedixarone Member Posts: 21
    My Explorer had a wind noise coming from one of the back windows. It turned out that a piece of plastic stripping was not removed when it was installed at the factory. Weird thing was, I bought used! Mind you, it was coming from the back, so it wasn't super noticeable.
    www.helm.com also has the manuals in paper for your purchasing pleasure.

as for clackety-bangs from 4 liter OHV engines, you have a problem, friend. that engine is notorious for broken camshaft limiters, as the original design was all nylon, the running change #1 of nylon with steel framing was no better... and it took going back to all-steel limiters and a not-necessarily-loudly-announced recall to get the issue fixed. get thee to a dealer shop pronto and get those fixed, Ford should eat the bill.

squillions of posts on Edmunds about this.
  • smily1smily1 Member Posts: 104
    swschrad...I think you meant the SOHC. The OHV is a pushrod motor with a traditional cam location. His problem seems more sensor related. Sounds like the timing is way off...just my guess.
  • swn1swn1 Member Posts: 27
    I noticed a couple of postings about Goodyear Tire problems. See my posting #1363 about my experience with tread separation on this junk they gave us to replace the Firestones. I'm not saying the problems others are having are tread separations but you should all be aware of it. Goodyear wants nothing to do with it or does Ford. I would urge anyone having this file a complaint with NHSTA,Ford and Goodyear. You can find documented incidents by searching for "Goodyear Tread Separations". At the minimum I would have a Goodyear dealer inspect the tires and if they find nothing document this to you in writing.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    The grinding you are hearing when you engage 4wd and turn the corner is your wheels binding. Not a good thing. And it is normal for this to happen. You are not suppose to engage the 4wd on the pavement, except in slippery conditions (ice, snow, etc.). When you engage the 4wd, you are locking the front wheels together. Meaning they spin at the same rate. When you go around a corner or curve, the inside wheel needs to spin at a higher rate then the outside wheel. In 4wd mode, this can only happen if the road surface allows the wheel to slip. So my advice to you is, only use the 4wd on ice, snow, and off road (maybe heavy rain..I mean a down pour).

You can use either 5W-30 or 10W-30. I would go with 10W-30.
    Thanks for the replies! I'll check the web for FMC recalls on this. I hope one of you is right. The motor I have is a V6-245 4.0L OHV in my '99' Explorer. When I get the problem fixed I promise to post it so the 'air' is cleared.
    Found a complete listing of all Service Bulletins/General Recalls/Safety Recalls for the 4.0 OHV we are discussing. Even the window whistle is listed! Nice to think all these problems are not my imagination, as the service dept. would like me to think.
    For your vehicles over-all health assessment go to: www.alldata.com. Follow the links and be sure to click on your Windows Menu Bar: View>Text Sizing>Smaller to get the page to print properly.
    Hi,

Looked at the alldata site, and noticed there is an engine service bulletin for knocking during acceleration, but nothing related to a diesel/clacking sound at idle. My 4.0L OHV doesn't knock during acceleration.

The only official recalls I have received for my particular truck are the seat belts, the revised tire inflation door sticker, and the actual tires (which didn't affect me as my truck came new with Goodyear Wranglers).

The NHTSA site is also a good place to look for recalls and TSB's, although the alldata site is easier and faster to navigate.
    My 2000 XLS also makes the same sound at an idle. It was making it a while ago, and while I did not bring it to the dealer for that specific complaint (I had them look at it for poor mileage) they said it was running "to specs". I'm sure that after almost 2 years (24000+ miles)of it making the same sound that if there was some ill effect to the sound we would have seen it.

PS...Had an oil change, tire rotation, coolant service, fuel filter change, and air filter change done today. Does $210 bucks sound expensive to anyone else or is it just me?

Other issues they worked on (warranty) were a passenger door rattle (they said something was loose) and rear wiper not wiping the middle of the glass (I think they just adjusted the arm).
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    $210 sounds a little high if it was done by an independant shop but not for a dealer.
  • dtobiasdtobias Member Posts: 5
    Update on my Exploder.

Thank you to GREGB882 for his comments on the extended warranty. I'm purchasing the Ford Premium, but am still working out the pricing with the dealer.

In my last post I mentioned the recurring transmission vibration during heavy acceleration. They've replaced the trans last year and re-indexed the drive shaft earlier this year, but it still vibrates. Its in the shop again for a laundry list of other problems. The fix for the vibration is a new drive shaft. Turns out, Ford issued a 'note' on this model/year Explorer regarding replacing the drive shaft. Hopefully that fixes it, but I have a question: If the drive shaft was out of balance, wouldn't that have caused some amount of damage to the transmission that might show up later? I am at 35,750 miles, but since the trans was replaced around 18,000 miles, I still have time.

I started having a high pitched squeal from the front end above 20 mph, fortunately it happened again while they had it, I think they said it was the bearing seals, and had them replaced on the front end.

As for the door squeak, they are still road testing it trying to find it and the clunk that happens on the front end occassionaly, has been elusive for them.

Oh yeah and the power seat jammed last week, 250 miles before the warranty was out, whew.

On the tire discussion: the Goodyear's were available right away, but after doing some research I decided I wanted the Michelin X-terrains. Since I was having the transmission replaced, the service manager did me a favor and searched high and low for a set and put them on for me. Needless to say, the Michelins are great.
    I have a 98 V8 AWD with 53k. Just today the ac went out...taking it to the dealership tomorrow and will update for anyone interested.

I still enjoy my exploder. My advise to anyone buying a new or newer car or truck GET AN EXTENDED WARRANTY! Its paid for itself.
  • dtobiasdtobias Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know how a dealership sets the price for the Ford Extended Warranties? I contacted the dealer who has been fixing my Explorer since day one, I reminded him how much work this thing has needed under the factory warranty, and now I feel I HAVE to purchase the extended just because of the vehicle's history. He said they would give me a deal and knocked $100 bucks off of the list price (Ford website has it for $1255).

So on a whim I called a different dealer in the area, didn't explain my situation, just asked for a price quote, they quoted me the same price??? So does the dealer set the price, or was I quoted the going rate? If that is the going rate, then my dealer is yanking my chain about the 'deal'.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Yes the dealer set the prices, similar to the prices of the cars.

smily1: How does the extended warranty pay for itself? The reason I am asking is you probably paid between $1250-$1500 for the warranty when you purchased the vehicle. How much was the A/C work? If the total work is equal to the cost of the warranty then you broke even. But still the insurance company that underwrites the warranty had 3 years to invest your money. But this is another argument.
    dtobias: There are many different warranties and vary in prices. All prices are negotiable. Things to look for are Things the warranty will and will not cover and the deductible. I got the Ford ESP with free car rental and a 50 deductible covering everything but shocks and tires for 1300.

dtownfb: I have had other warranty repairs and have kept track of the approximate cost of repairs. Those approximate figures exceed the warranty cost. Im not anal enough to calculate the investment income from the 18 months that Ford has had my money. Based on Fords investment, given my situation, they have probably lost money.

AC work is not done yet so I dont know the cost of repair. I may know today. My father-in-law is a ford tech at the dealership and is the one assigned to my truck so I will get all the details posted.
  • gregb5gregb5 Member Posts: 82
    Do an internet search of "Ford ESP" or something similar and you will find multiple dealers who discount the warrnaties over the internet. They are selling the same product as your dealer and there are good discounts available.
    It came down to a faulty hose and a bad switch. In short a 450 bill if I was to fork it. Just need to get the parts in now.
  • ssmintonssminton Member Posts: 155
    When purchasing the vehicle, negotiate the warranty. I actually included a $0 deductible/ 100K mi warranty in the purchase of my '99 Mountaineer, no adder. With my new Honda Pilot, I paid $1000 for the same warranty. You should not pay more than that, but before you offer... ask it to be "included" once you set an offer price.

Also, most dealers are now shying away from "Factory" extended warranties because they are too strict, delaying and limiting repairs significantly. Both of my recent Ford products used "outside" vendors to supply warranties which meant I could service the vehicle anywhere. Even my Honda extended warranty is provided by an outside vendor. I have never had a problem with something being covered on my Explorer products by the extended warranty. On my '91 and '95 Explorers and '99 Mountaineer, the warranties more than paid for themselves by 50K miles. Oil leak after oil leak and throttle body after throttle body... I'm just glad I had the warranty. Even with the new Pilot, I think it is a wise decision, if you plan to keep your vehicle into higher mileage.
    I bought an aftermarket warranty on my GP GTP for 900. Havnt had any experience with it yet since its under the factory right now. Its the same coverage as the ford warranty.

There are many different ways to negotiate an extended warranty. Fact: You can always get a good deal if you do some research and some negotiation. Fact: The dealership is still going to make money off you.

You can buy the warranty later down the road. I bought my ESP at 35600 miles. It was not worth spending $1300 for three years without being able to use it anyway. If it was negotiated at the time of purchase I would have paid more for the purchase price. If the dealership included it without raising the price that just means I had more room to negotiate or didnt negotiate the best price in the first place.

I agree with ssminton, you should have an extended warranty on any new car now days. Its just too expensive otherwise.

It depends on your situation. You can get a warranty at the time of purchase or later down the road. You can get a good deal either way. It just depends on your situation. Just worked out better for me to buy it later.
  • catch22catch22 Member Posts: 5
    About buying ESP later down the road - until how late could you buy it? Another question is - do you have to pay more on the premium if the car has been in the shop many times already?

Thanks a lot!
    You can buy the ESP anytime while the vehicle is under the factory warranty. It makes no difference how many times your vehicle has been in the shop. Its still the same price. The dealership did tell me (at the time of purchase) that the ESP would be cheaper if I bought it now with only 100 miles on the truck as opposed to 35000 miles. This proved to be false.

Hope this helps.
  • geoffd1geoffd1 Member Posts: 21
    I bought the OEM Ford 5/100/$50 ExtraCare extended warranty for my 98 Mountaineer over the internet when the car had 35,000 miles on it. I think it's worth waiting 'til the factory warranty is near expiring even though you pay an extra hundred bucks.

I went through some Ford dealer in Iowa at:

http://www.fordwarrantycentral.com/

At the time, they had a far lower price than any dealer ever quoted me.

I've used the warranty frequently. I've had just about every moving part in the front end replaced. I have to run it in soon to get the driver's power door lock and rear wiper motor replaced since I'm at 96,000 miles.

Other than one round of plugs and wires, the only thing I've ever paid for beyond fluid changes, filters, tires, and brake pads was a set of Bilstein shocks. I'd recommend the Bilstein's to anybody. Far better than the factory shocks... especially if you tow with the car.

• sadatxsadatx Member Posts: 70
    Greetings,

Lately, I've noticed a 'clicking' type noise coming from the engine ( I guess ) while my AC is running. The 'clicking' noise can only be observed when the car is idle and clicks about once every minute or so. The AC seems run fine after replacing the thermostat. Has anyone come across this problem before?

I have a 98 EB 4x4.

Thanks!!
    I've owned 3 Explorers and a Taurus since 1990. They all made a clicking sound when the compressor kicked on and the idle kicked up. No ill effects seen.
    geoffd1...that is a great link you posted. My 2000 XLS has been only somewhat of a problem child (one major repair - tranny replaced @ 21000 miles), but I shudder to think of what the next 50000 miles of time that I expect to own it could bring. I looked at a Premium Care ESP at all the dealers within a 20 mile radius of my home (about 6) and the cheapest I could find was about $1250 for 6 year/75000 miles with a $100 deductible.

Geoff's link has the same warranty for under $1200, but with only a $50 deductible!!! I will keep shopping the net, but maybe I can see what I can squeeze out of the local guy if I throw this price at him.
  • geoffd1geoffd1 Member Posts: 21
    njdevilsrn writes:
    > I've owned 3 Explorers and a Taurus since 1990.

That's like having a "kick me" sign on your back, isn't it? ;-)

I've owned two Exploder variants so far. A 1992 Mazda Navajo (2dr Explorer Sport) and a 98 V8 AWD Mountaineer. I put ~140,000 miles on the Navajo and I have just shy of 100K on the Mountaineer. I can't imagine owning one of these without having a 100K bumper-to-bumper extended warranty. My Mountaineer got so unreliable at 80,000 miles that I went out and bought a VW GTI to use as a commuter car.

That said, I'm pretty sure I'll be replacing my SUV with yet another Explorer. I tow 5,000 pounds of boat and I'm 6'4". That rules out most of the interesting alternatives.
  • mtntop46mtntop46 Member Posts: 1
    As a current owner of a 2002 Ford Explorer XLS,
    I would caution others to be careful
    of the lower outside door edges, where the door comes to a point, on ALL doors when entering and exiting the vehicle.......possible OUCH !