Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander

Comments

• dianne4toyotadianne4toyota Member Posts: 343
    Gang, for clarification:

I have a ton of Highlanders (even after the busy weekend I still have 32 available) but ours in Socal have no "VD" code: no skid control/traction control. Geographically, my region isn't building them that way. I can special order build cars for folks BUT it reduces my future allocations to do that due to my "travel rate" and means I gotta be at MSRP to make losing a car or two down the road worth it to the store. I dont mind orderring a car at all, but usually, those ordering want "stripped" cars with very little manageable markup in 'em anyway. Usually, if we're one piece of equipment or two little extras away, at $1500 to $2000 off MSRP (usually, model depending) for regular stock cars, that's a lotta stuff sorta free in comparison with a stripped order build.

I can explain better via private email, but I just got lambasted in an email for not pricing a car out for someone who requested "skid" and isn't happy that their local dealer is so low on cars, and I am so heavy with cars but can't get them what they want. It happens.

If you'd like to see just about every color of the Highlander photgraphed, go here:

http://carsontoyota.com/master_suv.html

and checkout the cars, their equipment, and their obvious build-out tendencies. The way you see all of the cars is what I am stuck with right out of the gate. A few of those cars are already sold but there are others coming to take their place as well.

I hope this helps a few of you across the US see combos and typical CA MSRP pricing.

But, for not, if VSC/skid control is crucial, I can't be of much help here to anyone.
    There is a new area of my own site going up for new Toyota owners, including Highlanders at the http://www.carsontoyota.com/master_diary.html area of the site and I'd love for Highlander owners across the USA to log into me weekly or even monthly and tell us all how your cars are! I'll have a specific "rolling" page for individuals. If you'd care to contribute there, eMail me!

-Dianne

dianne@earthlink.net
    -Di
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I get your point but I'm going to belabor a couple of them anyway. I completely agree that may SUV drivers think they suddenly have tanks and drive as if they are. This is extremely bad. The thing I take issue with is that there is no such thing as no friction. A frictionless environment does not exist on a road. Because you always have some friction, TRACS and ABS can help a person maintain control. They are not immune from slipping but are less likely to with these systems.

I've played with a 2001 4Runner with VSC and tracs on sheet ice. I was stunned at how much control I was able to maintain. During hard, straight line acceleration, the thing didn't budge laterally. During hard corners, it beeped and made a grinding noise and I felt a slight amount of slip, but I never felt out of control and I was trying to push it.

I'm a believer in VSC on the Runners and I think it should work quite well on the Highlander but I don't have any first hand experience yet to say. Low friction is not the same as no friction and in low friction situations, I'll take VSC any day.
  • grplavloffgrplavloff Member Posts: 138
    "These "warm-weather flat landers" somehow think that by buying a tank-like vehicle, even with Awd/4wd and some type of traction control, will allow them to take a highway turn at 60mph when it is snow/slush-covered/icy roads..."

Sometmes you have no choice but to try to make a horrendously sharp change in direction at speed. No one should be driving at 60 mph on a slush- covered road. But a lot of us do have to drive in a heck of a lot of snow/slush/ice over a period of a winter. Around here - western NY and southern Ontario area - we have a lot of minivans and SUVs. I see more SUVs slide, or off the road, in ditches, etc. than I do minivans.
    "I've played with a 2001 4Runner with VSC and tracs on sheet ice. I was stunned at how much control I was able to maintain. During hard, straight line acceleration, the thing didn't budge laterally.
    "

How do you think it would act on a slippery launch ramp where sometimes all wheels start spinning, and that's the only way you have any forward momentum ? I am interested in the Highlander partly because I tow a boat quite a bit and end up on some truly funky roads. Ideally the 4-wheel drive would help out. But it isn't clear to me how the VSC system would react if all wheels were slipping. On the other hand, it could be quite useful in other situations. Thanks.
    To expand on Dianne's missive, allow me to explain how Toyota's ordering process works. There is no nationwide distribution system. There are 13 geographic regions and each region is responsible for ordering for their dealerships. In my region (CAT or Central Atlantic Toyota), the HL order is heavy on the 4x4, V6 model. About 30% have an MSRP of $29300 and don't have the side bags, VSC, moonroof, Limited or leather. About 30% have the "works" and lists at $35000. The remaining 40% have the Limited package, roof, tow prep, VSC and side bags. This is where CAT thinks the demand will be for this region.

In SoCal, the demands are very different. They get front wheel drives and no VSC. Those wouldn't sell here but probably go very fast there.

Now, if we want something that our region didn't order, we have two options and neither one is good. We can do a dealer exchange with another region or factory build one. Out of region exchanges mean a considerable expense because the vehicle must be brought to the selling dealership. This means a drive for the salesman or trucking costs. Factory orders are a 4 to 8 month process with little to no communication with Toyota during the process. Most orders get cancelled due to customer impatience. Many dealers wont do them at all or will charge MSRP to process one.

Does this clear things up a bit?
    "If you'd like to see just about every color of the Highlander photgraphed, go here:..."

What does "fleet discount" mean ?
    I'll tell you the same thing I've told everybody about towing. If you tow a lot and if the trailer exceeds about 1000 pounds, get something with a truck frame. Yes, the HL will handle 3500 pounds if you have the tow prep package, but I just wouldn't do that with any regularity.
  • kem1kem1 Member Posts: 24
    Actually, I do like SUVs, just not the monsters they've become (in size and gas guzzling) - that's why I'm interested in the Highlander and the Subaru Outback. My main concern is people shelling out tons of money for the safety handling features and then think they are 'bullet proof' and that they can just ignore safe driving procedures in bad weather. Since a lot of the new SUV's tout their safety and all weather capabilties (not to mention the "my car is bigger than your car" feeling), too many people have a false sense of security when they drive them, which usually leads to disaster.

"And besides, soccer moms don't listen to advice because they are too busy talking on their cell phones."

- you're absolutely right! These are also the type of people who show concern for the environment yet buy a vehicle that gets horrendous gas mileage (and then want to go drill for oil in the Arctic Wildlife Refuge - oops, sorry - another subject). My motto: HANG UP AND DRIVE!

Ooops my mistake (vadp) - I guess its *just* the NASCAR and Indy races that I've watched that delay a race for rain (gee, I've never heard of them racing in the snow and ice...imagine that)

WINDOW ETCHING: Don't pay for it! Its a huge scam! Report it to your state's Attorney General - it only costs the dealers about $5 to do it (15 minutes of some garage flunky's - not an actual mechanic's - time), again see: http://www.carbuyingtips.com/scams.htm

P.S. All the safety features in the world (roll cage areas, cumple zones, and all the different airbags) don't mean squat unless you wear a seat belt.

-O.K. - stepping off my soap box now... ;-)

<--- baseball/soccer mom here... am not your average housewife!!! I absolutely adore the Highlander. What a quality, smooth car.

Your post still has me (and a few others here, I presume) giggling.

O:>
  • kem1kem1 Member Posts: 24
    Diane,
    Nice pictures! I love the Highlander's colors!

And as somebody mentioned earlier, the Highlander does look good in person. I was behind one the other day on the highway and thought it was Acura or Grand Cherokee until I got closer. Good looking verhicle.
    I can't wait to see a Bluestone and a black car. Those are the two cars I haven't had in here yet.

I just did a 12-car build order request for cars with Limited, heated seats, VD (skid control), moonroofs, everything. Means I will have a few ultra-loaded 4WDs and 2WDs in about 90-120 days. I requested white/ivory, silver/ivory, bluestone/ivory, INdigo blue/ivory, green/ivory, and black/ivory. One of each. I did this to test my market on them, because I think they are pricy, a little too pricy, and this is why they are unusually short supply with the kitchen sink on them. I think if I discount them enough early-on, they will all pre-sell.

Keep ya posted, kidz! Meanwhile, I hope everyone here takes the time to drive one on freeway, harsh roads, city streets and curves. They are smooth, and even I was shocked at the ride comfort.

--Dianne
    dianne@earthlink.net
  • kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    i was looking at the "TMV" for Lexus AWD RX300 here @ edmund.com. it's 32,670 (invoice $30,910). not too much more expensive than same equipped HL. since they both are based on the same mechanism, and some toyota dealers aren't willing to negotiate HL, i'd suggest whoever is interested in AWD V6 HL also consider the RX.
  • bill28210bill28210 Member Posts: 9
    I picked up my silver Highlander 6cyl 2WD with Limited package, but no limited slip or variable skid. It is great. Good pickup, radio sounds great and with all the leather - it smells great.
    The ride is quiet and smooth. I traded a 98 Honda V6 Coupe and no longer have to get up to get out.
    I am very happy.
  • alan69alan69 Member Posts: 2
    Since the Highlander is a bit wider and longer than the RX300, does anyone know if it will hold 4 people (comfortably) in the back seat? or I am resigned to buying the Acura MDX?
    We have a mini van, which we hope will last at least another year. We want to get a mid-size SUV and the Highlander appears to be a happy medium.
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    No!! Not legally that is (nor comfortably either). There are only five seat belts in the HL. The back seat is too narrow to seat four without cramming. At about 6 to 8 inches wider than an HL the MDX only has three seat belts in the 2nd seat as well, however four could be crammed back there if one wished. Of course the 3rd seat will hold two children easily and two adults for short trips. Considering that a base MDX MRSPs at $34,850 (less than a loaded HL) buying an MDX would be a very wise choice.
    "I traded a 98 Honda V6 Coupe and no longer have to get up to get out."

Kinda handy when coming home late from the bars at night, eh ?? :-)
  • mz1654mz1654 Member Posts: 3
    I've been by two Toyota dealers in the Atlanta area and they seem to have a good selection of the four cylinder models with MSRP in the 25-29 range which is about the most I want to spend.

Two things though, I kept reading charcoal as a choice for the interior and even at the dealership the paperwork shows charcoal which I really needed. The grey that I have seen is as far from charcoal as you could possibly imagine. It is extremely light colored. I was wondering if true charcoal was available up north ?

The second item is in regards to the center console. The Toyota website list's one as an accessory but the dealer has no idea. I supect if
    it is available it would be the same as the Sienna's.....anyone have any information ??

Thks
    Toyota has a strange idea of what charcoal looks like. The light gray you have seen is the charcoal. You have your choice of this or the light tan.
  • jomabu1jomabu1 Member Posts: 37
    I agree with cliffy1. We are negotiating on a charcoal interior Highlander and the color is light grey. My wife and I like it a lot better than the ivory which is too light.

The center console is pictured in the Highlander on the accessories page. The car we are negotiating on has one. It seems to be added on by the regional distributer or import region. I suspect the dealer will able to intall it quite easily.It is big enough to hold some cds and a cell phone. $199 is the msrp on the center console cost $145 I think.It should really be standard in my view along with side airbags and VD.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    The latest Consumer Reports has a mention of how the addition of VSC to the Land Cruiser now makes them put it into their "recommended" list.

Apparently the previous, VSC-less Land Cruiser failed their emergency avoidance test. With VSC and a re-test, it now earns a "fair" instead of a "fail" grade. VSC was enough to make the difference in that test, despite vehicle characteristics that are obviously not optimal for it.

Consumer Reports further states that they commend Toyota for making all its SUV's (except the RAV4) available with VSC, and that BMW and MB are the other automakers who have it too (though they don't note that they had it earlier, especially MB).

You can consider that a plus for VSC.

However, all vehicles, even VSC-equipped ones, have their limits. VSC extends those limits, but taking advantage of that and pushing the vehicle even further is not a great idea. VSC won't take a poor-emergency-handling vehicle like the Land Cruiser and turn it into an X5. VSC won't help in more severe cases when there simply isn't enough tire grip for it to be truly effective. And I wonder how good the Highlander's stock tires are.

Nevertheless, VSC raises the odds in your favor, and is a worthwhile option to STRONGLY consider, as Drew has been saying. Too bad the Highlander doesn't have a cut-off switch for certain situations.
  • bironbbironb Member Posts: 63
    I wonder why Toyota choose to give North Americans a different interior than the one available in the Kluger. Judging by the photos, the Japanese version has a centre console, cloth inserts on the door armrests and darker grey cloth seats with a different pattern. Much nicer interior.

Why did Toyota not include a centre console in the Highlander? Perhaps it was to appeal to the minivan crowd that like a pass through between the front seats for some reason. As it stands there is an empty space between the front seats with stupid looking cup holders attached to the drivers seat and no provision for storing CD's, cell phone and what not, other than the glove compartment. I understand that one can buy a centre console as an accessory but I have not seen a photo of it as it is not shown or mentioned in the Canadian Highlander brochure.

For anyone interested in seeing the interior of the Japanese version here's the link:

http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/KlugerV/

Has anybody thought about the practical uses for the space between the seats? It seems like a perfect place to keep briefcases and purses. When I go on test drives with women, the first thing they do is open the back door and drop their purse behind the seat. This space seems like a much better place for that. Just a thought, but maybe that is why the console is an OPTION!
    Cliffy, I agree, being a girl here! :D The center console is cool and useful, but also makes it a little hard to get back and deal with my 10, 9, or 5 yr old when one is being a brat! (kidding!!)

I like the console for the ability to have things set betwene the seats with boundaries and not rolling around.

-Dianne
  • tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    I like having a center console, it helps keep my 3 year old in the back seat! ...Actually he just climbs over it anyway, so I'm wrong on that too!

Thanks god for child safety locks....

8-P
    "Has anybody thought about the practical uses for the space between the seats? It seems like a perfect place to keep briefcases and purses.
    ...."

I agree. It's also quite useful when hauling long, skinny items such as a handful of 2x4's or PVC pipe, or even fishing rods. The items stay low and thus much less likely to ram the dash or windshield (but they should be secured regardless).
    "I like having a center console, it helps keep my 3 year old in the back seat! ...Actually he just climbs over it anyway, so I'm wrong on that too!
    Thanks god for child safety locks...."

WE're back to safety again. A child should either be strapped into a child seat or, if old/large enough, in place with a seatbelt on.
    I was kidding. A joke. Satire.

In reality, I strap him to the roof rack. Isn't that what it's there for?
    I love it. That's almost as good as my favorite saying, "I love childern. They taste just like chicken."

Satire never looks as good in writing as it does by spoken word.
    ..but my kid looks great on the roof rack.

I'M KIDDING.

I love the little man. I even let him drive the new car.
  • romansoneromansone Member Posts: 1
    For those of you who read our first drive of the Highlander, be aware that the writeup contained a slight technical error. The Highlander's 4WD operation is similar to the RX 300's and RAV4's, but it's a 50/50 front-to-rear torque split on a full time basis, not a torque-on-demand type of system that was originally posted.

As of Feb. 1, the article's text will be corrected, so the point is somewhat moot. But I just wanted to let people know who already read the article.

Thanks for coming to Edmunds!

Brent Romans
    Senior Features Editor
    Edmunds.com
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    There you go! That's your answer to the RX300's torque split ratio. As I said, they're all 50/50. :-)

Drew
    Host
    Vans and SUVs message boards
  • montanabill1montanabill1 Member Posts: 12
    After waiting 6 months for the new HL's, I was disappointed in my test drive of a V6 AWD. Told the salesperson it felt harsh and lots of tire/road noise on ridges in the pavement, etc., and that maybe the tires were overinflated. He acted like he could care less. My Toyota Tundra LTD rides better! Has anyone else had a similar experience? I have driven the Lexus RX300 as well which was much smoother. No center console and no power seat memory?? Come on Toyota. After looking at all the competition, I will wait for the new 2001.5 Passat 4Motion before making a decision. Will also test drive another HL Limited when they come in. Have looked at all the SUV's except the Pathfinder LE which I will drive but doubt consider given the poor Nissan dealer in my locale.
  • ahossaahossa Member Posts: 152
    Has anyone benn able to buy Hl for less than MSRP in NYC,NJ or CT area? The ones I've been to in NYC have HL on their lots but not accecpting less than MSrp? Dianne4toyota seems like the best deal so far
    "Has anyone benn able to buy Hl for less than MSRP in NYC,NJ or CT area? "

Gathesburg, Md is a little bit further away, but you might want to look at the following site:

http://www.fitzgeraldautomall.com/

They have about half a dozen Highlanders at varying discounts, none earth-shattering. On the other hand, they don't advertise here either...

• jomabu1jomabu1 Member Posts: 37
    I think in my section of the country, the Pacific NW, the Highlander isn't flying off the lots as fast as dealers thought. I've seen the same 3 Highlanders on one dealers lot for two weeks now.
    Our economy might not be as strong as in other parts of the country with the demise of so many dotcoms.

My wife and I were able to get a white with grey interior V6 awd with the following options; SR,TO,UQ, LL, EJ, CF (floor mats), CN (CARGO NET), GP (GOLD PKG), HP (HOOD PROTECTOR), V2 (GLASS BREAKAGE SENSOR), WL (WHEEL LOCKS), AND SK (CENTER CONSOLE). We paid $29,957 plus tax for the $33409 msrp vehicle. We were going to order the Highlander because there weren't any that were outfitted the way we wanted but the dealer called back to give us an offer that we couldn't refuse. We would have liked side airbags and limited slip differential but a new family member and fair price,in our mind at least, made getting one a little more pressing. Could have done with out V2 and GP. We love the quiet and smooth ride on the highway. Also the more car like ride made it a lot better bet for our use. If Toyota can keep the price of the Highlander right about $30,000, I think they will have a hit. A fully optioned one is too close to the Acura MDX in price. At 30k, Toyota has the market to themselves (for now!).

Dislikes so far; only fair radio reception while driving. I think the culprit is the in windshield antenna, bass response in the audio system is boomy. Seems like it is hitting the same low note. Does anyone know where the additional 2 speakers are hidden? The styling, which hasn't enamoured me, is starting to grow on me. I like the white colour best for it stands out from the dark windows.

Will update this group if anything else comes up.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    As with any new "hot" model, discounts will be slight at first.

Fitzgeralds, as a rule, offers very good prices. We bought two Subarus from their Rockville store, and the prices were very good.

If you scan the prices of some of the more "established" brands/models, I think you will find that to be the case. I would think within a few months you will see better discounting, as the Highlander becomes more plentiful. That has happened with the Subaru Outback H-6 models. When they first came out the discounts were slight, especially on the high-tech H-6 VDC model. They're a bit better now, and I'm sure will be better still in a few more months. The same will happen with the Highlander.

Bob
    Not to steal any thunder from a local competitor, but my managers here have told me I can offer small discounts for TH participants. Fitzgerald is a good store, but I am only 30 minutes South of them, so if anybody is interested, contact me at sclifford@kjtoyota.com
  • wenyuewenyue Member Posts: 558
    Wow, that's hell of a good deal you got over there. All that for under $30K. You must have some good negotiation skills. Good Job. :) I feel the same way. A fully loaded HL going at MSRP at $34K isn't a bargin, but sold at $30K, that's sweet.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Congratulations on your new Highlander, and getting such a great discount (about $3,500) so early! That should encourage others here who are complaining about its price to wait just a while and let the normal cycle of discounting apply.

While the Pacific Northwest is having some problems with the dot-com layoffs and problems at Microsoft, we're also SUV and minivan crazy here. So I don't think that discount should stay confined here. Or, maybe someone can contact your dealer and have them ship it -- a $3,500 discount would more than offset the shipping cost if other dealers aren't discounting well.
  • bert14bert14 Member Posts: 8
    Toyota's ads would have you believe the Highlander will satisfy U.S. buyers complaining about Toyota's dropping the Camry Wagon. In fact, a number of people started exchanging thoughts about Highlander on Edmunds "Wagon" site, thinking that's where Toyota said it belonged, but Edmunds just bumped Highlander from its "Wagon" site, saying it's really an SUV. Edmunds is right. Toyota is kidding itself. I absolutely agree with Montanabill1. I just drove the Highlander. It's a stiff, bouncy, noisey SUV, with very poor treatment of wind and engine sound, no better in comfort than the Blazer I owned over 20 years ago, and significantly less comfortable than my '92 Camry Wagon, a car I wish I didn't have to replace. Does Toyota read this stuff? Don't they get it? Why in the world do they come out with a FIFTH SUV, and fail to market the Camry Wagon in the U.S. ? After all the hype, the Highlander isn't worth the wait.
    Check the tire pressure. I just had a terrible test drive with a customer. The back seat (where I was) was not very comfortable. I was being bounced all over the place. When we got back to the store, I discovered the tires were 8 pounds over inflated. What a relief. I've ridden in several of these now and they have a wonderful ride if the tires are set where they should be.
  • qguqgu Member Posts: 93
    8 lbs pressure difference made such a difference. What an excuse. Sounds like FORD EXPLORER: want a good ride then reduce your tire pressure. Better check whether those tires are Firestone tires.
    Brilliant post.
  • gpoltgpolt Member Posts: 113
    Cliffy/Dianne,

Why doesn't Toyota market the Camry Wagon here? Audi Allroad, Audi Avant, Mercedes Wagon, Passat Wagon, Jetta Wagon, Subaru Wagons, Taurus Wagon, Volvo Wagons - Please don't tell us that there isn't a market here.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I think Toyota is hoping the Highlander will fill that void.

Although I'm not so sure. Nobody here seems to be cross-shopping wagons, at least from all the post I've read. Same seems to be true over on the Subaru boards. While there has been some Highlander discussion&#151;as opposed to virtually no discusion here of wagons, Subaru or otherwise; nobody over there seems much interested in the Highlander. Different strokes for different folks.

Bob
  • mdx1mdx1 Member Posts: 63
    My wife wanted the Camry wagon about three years ago. But none were made. The whole family went and looked at both the Taurus wagon and the Sienna. My two boys and myself all liked Sienna. Now my wife has driven the Sienna for three years and she loved it. She said she felt safe driving the Sienna. We probably would have considered the Highlander if it was available and we did not want seven seats.
  • mgabel2mgabel2 Member Posts: 37
    The HL I'm interested in is not being manufactured right now.

V6 AWD: MSRP of $30,310 configured as:

HE Preferred
    AG Appearance
    CQ Convenience
    VD VSC with TRAC
    TO Towing Prep
    BE Front Dual Side Airbags
    DR Roof Rack System

This is sort of "safety version" of the Limited (LL) package, plus VD and BE. It seems that all the HL's that I see with VD+BE are also LL + (often) a sun roof and leather.

The MSRP of the configuration I'd like (above) is about $3500 less than the "LL+" package.

I have a dealer who would be happy to place a special order. There is a $500 deposit (which he says could be used on a different HL if I get tired of waiting) and a 90-120 day wait. The cost would be MSRP.

Any advice?
  • twillowstwillows Member Posts: 5
    I am pleased to confirm that perseverance does pay off! My goal was to purchase a Highlander with exactly what I wanted on it, not what the dealers wanted me to have.

First, most dealerships told me that I could only get leather in combination with the $3,495 Limited package (LL). Yet I found three dealerships in the Central Florida area that had HLs on the lot WITH leather and NO Limited package.

Second, I did NOT want to pay $619 for Toyo guard (Scotch guarded upholstery and extra waxed exterior). The web site I used said no problem, and they would make sure it was not added to the car at the "port" in Jacksonville (Southeast Distributor ship pepping area).

Since the Roof Rack and Privacy Glass (tinted glass) are factory installed in Japan, it was not possible to delete either.

The full trailer hitch was also installed at the port in Jax

So when it was all said and done, I have a new white HL, V6, with rack, full leather, installed hitch, power driver seat, Convenience pkg (key less entry and tonneau), and tinted windows for $27,987 plus $449 "dealer fee", plus tag, tax or $28,436 if comparing bottom lines before tax.

Sure, the Toyota dealer is still making $3,297 profit on my deal, but one has to expect that if you want to be driving a new model two weeks after it's introduction on the street. A year from now folks will be buying for one-two thousand less, but I will have had the pleasure of driving it for THIS year and that is worth it to me. My last two Camry wagons had 165,000 and 95,000 miles on them and this is as close to a Camry wagon as I can find (in my opinion) without going to Australia where they still sell them.

Moral of story: do your research and find a web site that will work with you.
    Each region in each state build cars differently. In Southern California, the *LA* (leather) package requires you to have *LL* (Limited) package. Our port facility isn't allowed to add leather. And, side impact airbags cars can't have leather added due to the safety issue of compromising the seat structure.

I would imagine in hottest or muggy states, leather is a pain in the butt! But, here in SoCal, the build structure for the cars regionally are LL (limited) = LA (leather) and that's just how it is here in CA. I can't speak for other regions. Many others have even emailed me upset that their states are jamming the PORT extras, or TOYO guard, or even things like VD (skid control) down their throats. Or, they want nicely equipped cars with no sunroof or spoilers...

twillows is right: check around, check locally to see how the cars are being ordered regionally by dealers. There should be a broad overview for each area. There won't be cars that are oddballs right out of the gate yet... but an order-build will obtain anyone their perfect car too... just gotta be patient.
    As posted before, the highlander section of my own dealership site (Flash graphic that says: Highlander/SUV headquarters) will reflect how Socal cars are built, and the levels of extras don't vary that much. There are photos of every single car in every color BUT I haven't been able to catch a black car or a bluestone car yet!

dianne
    dianne@earthlink.net
    (email me for the website link unless you scroll upwards a few posts to find it!)
  • 4wagswy4wagswy Member Posts: 4
    Silicon valley is known to pick up the best products at almost whatever price the dealers will ask (Honda Odyssey, Acura MDX), but the Highlanders are not moving anywhere. Saw at least 10 sitting at my local dealer.... Somethign is fishy here.

Way overpriced, I think! Considering how quickly it got engineered and manufactured by Toyota and the number of mfrs now in the SUV and MICROSUV marketplace, and the fact that the Highlander does not have the Camry feel.... looks like the Sienna might be a better choice than this.