Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander

Comments

• cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    There really are some stupid salepeople in this world. The Highlander will be out in February. It is built on a Camry chassis and is mechanically identical to the Lexus RX300. It will come in both a 2 and 4 wheel drive and 4 and 6 cylinder models. No pricing has been released but an educated guess would be in the mid $30K range for a 4x4 V6 nicely equipped. It will not replace anything in our line up.
  • sense70sense70 Member Posts: 8
    I do Agree $35K is a little too deep. But also consider MDX will be sold at or above MSRP price if it is for $35K, and Highlander should be sold at or near Invoice price. $32K sound more reasonable.
  • jhaubnerjhaubner Member Posts: 6
    Being a Toyota Loyalist, I had every intent of waiting for a Highlander. However, seeing some of the guess pricing on it and seeing the pricing on the MDX has changed my mind. MDX is offering much more for the amount. It's true that it will be selling initially for MSRP, but so will the Highlander when it is available in February.
  • toyotatoystoyotatoys Member Posts: 118
    Honda was right about the size of the Odyssey against the Sienna, and appears to be right again in the presentation and pricing of the MDX against the Highlander. Of course, not much is definitive yet on the Highlander, and to some extent the MDX. By Feb/Apr, we will know what all these numbers mean.
  • stove1stove1 Member Posts: 53
    Highlander price starts at $22k, so I read in a car rag. My guess is it will be $23k to $30k. That would make it about 8k cheaper than a Lexus RX300. About 6K more than a Camry on which it is based.

A Rav4(without 4X4) sells for $5000 more than a Corolla on which it is based. A Lexus ES300 sells for $9000 more than a Camry. Draw the paralles Highlander vs Camry.
  • sailing216sailing216 Member Posts: 98
    Dealer told me fully loaded with the v6 and 4 wheel, all options and freight will put it at 32k. Generally the same size as the 4 runner but about 2-3k cheaper and based on a car not truck. 29k for v6 4 wheel cloth and basics. 4 wheel drive costs about $1600. Work that into your equation. My buddy said the ultimate base will be the four with 2 wheel drive probably $50 bucks under 25k. And for anyone guessing, it's not replacing anything.
    I'm buying an base MDX because of the 3rd seat and size--enjoy.
  • toyotatoystoyotatoys Member Posts: 118
    Amen. (Also post #56)

I don't need the second row of seats 90% of the time; I don't need the 3rd row 95% of the time; but it's always nice to have it when you need it. As long as the third row is foldable or removable, that's an advantage worthy of consideration, and I do.

After 6 Toyotas in a row (and all I've ever owned), I still hope the 7th will be a Toyota.... We'll see.
  • yachtieyachtie Member Posts: 29
    Does anyone have any specs on the 4 cyl ...will it be right out of the Camry or is it to be something completely new? Any info on hp and torque figures would be appreciated.
  • gacrabillgacrabill Member Posts: 8
    From July Car & Driver:
    "As is fast becoming the Japanese trend, it will be offered in one well-equipped trim level, with an upscale Limited package as an option....
    Toyota would not name a price for the Highlander, but we'd guess about $31,500 for a V-6-powered all-wheel-drive version....."

RX300 Highlander
    Length 180.1" 184.4"
    Width 71.5" 71.5"
    Height 65.7" 66.1"
    Wheelbase 103.1" 106.9"
    Front Track ?? 62.2"
    Rear Track ?? 61.8"
    Does this Highlander have a flip out tailgate window?
    The LIMITED model at the New York auto show didn't have one (notice position of rear window wiper).

See pictures at :
    http://www.velocityjrnl.com/jrnl/2001/v2kmdl1413mult.html

If you click on one of the "original images" pictures, you will be able to download the zipped pictures (and others). They then expand real nice when unzipped, much easier to notice some details. I might use one as wallpaper for awhile.
    We had a rep from Toyota in today and he made a couple of comments about the Highlander that I found interesting. I really don't know about the veracity of this information so please don't take it as gospel. He claimed that Toyota plans on building 200K of them a year. That is almost three times as many as I had heard in the past and would mean that we will get as many of these as we get Corollas.

He also said we would see our first ones right after new years. This is a month ahead of the most optimistic date I have heard.

This guy is a big wig in this region. He should be in a position to know. If I had not heard otherwise, I would have no reason to doubt him.

I'll post more as I get it.
    Earlier is definitely better. But, where is the advanced publicity to wet our appetites? Acura's MDX was tested by auto journalists last Jan-Feb in Colorado. Many magazine articles since then, months before its arrival at dealers last week.

Tell that Toyota rep. that we need LOTS more information! :-)
  • houtexanhoutexan Member Posts: 28
    I hope Toyota doesn't price the Highlander too high. I've test drove a MDX and it IS very impressive for the $$$. I can get it below MSRP without accessories. That's about $34K + TTL. It's not impossible but I will have to want if I want one.

I want to have more info on the Highlander. It originally sounded perfect. A cheaper RX300. I don't need leather or moonroof and $39K for a FWD RX300 is too high. But a Highlander V6 FWD base for anything more than $28K is too high too. If Toyota is trying to sell a ton of them, they better keep the price down or I'd just by the MDX for the value.

BTW, my wife and I both love the way the MDX look. She was really turned off by the picture of the front of Highlander. I hope the vehicle looks better in real life.
  • scdatmscdatm Member Posts: 2
    I'm also trying to decide if I want the Highlander or the MDX. Where did you see an MDX for below MSRP? Looking at your email address it looks like your from Houston. Which dealership did you visit?
    Thanks
  • gpoltgpolt Member Posts: 113
    I saw the Highlander at the NY Autoshow. Tell your wife that she's corrcet. It's hard to fathom that a company that could make the new RAV4 look so good, could make the Highlander look so bad.
  • lawvdnlawvdn Member Posts: 4
    Hi, everyone,
    To get the freshest news on this, the best way is to fill out a form with Toyota as to the Highlander. To do this, (1) go to toyota.com, (2)
    on the search window, fill "highlander", then you'll get 5 references, the first one being
    "Introduction to the Highlander" issued by Toyota itself; (3) On this short article, there's a link saying "click here if you want to be kept informed about this car". Click it, then fill out the form.
    I think I'd like the Highlander. It is in my opinion, generally a Lexus RX300, which I like a lot on power (220HP), handling, gas mileage (18/22)but feel bothered with its style and its price. The Highlander, with its non-egged style, and probably about $5,000 cheaper, will suit my taste.
    Vince N.
  • bajasbajas Member Posts: 14
    As a Camry wagon owner who loves the jumpseat in the back, will the highlander have one? That would really make this vehicle flexible!
  • 2001rx2001rx Member Posts: 8
    Just for price comparison, I recently bought a 2001 Lexus RX300 AWD w/leather, CD, etc, for $36,900 in So. Calif. When comparing SUVs, remember that the 2001 RX has standard Vehicle Skid Control, Traction Control, and Brake Assist.
  • sailing216sailing216 Member Posts: 98
    Who saw the Highlander, Sequoia, and the rest of the Toyota SUVs last night on Law and Order? They were all silver and the highlander looked good. Looked like a small Landcruiser (oversized lights like the landcruiser). I'll bet we'll see alot more info soon since they are already advertising 2 vehicles not released yet.

Can someone verify about the 3rd seat, it's to my understanding that there is Not one.
    Thanks for your opinion about the Highlander's looks. And I have not seen the Highlander's commercials. But the point is mute. I've decided to go with the MDX with my wife's complete blessing.

The Highlander is a 5 seater that will cost close to the MDX base in Limited form (I believe). So since I want the 7 passenger availablitiy of the MDX (the 3rd row magic seats are really neat), the handling and power of the MDX and the 5 speed transmission (which BTW took care of the delay problems the Accord and Odessey transmission have)and of course the look, there is no other choice for me.

Besides, when my wife says buy I say how high...
    you know what I mean.

Good luck on you quest for the Highlander.

P.S. I can only get the MDX at MSRP and my friend can throw in some free accessories, no dealership is allowing below MSRP right now.
  • aimanaiman Member Posts: 61
    I wish the Highlander has the stylish and aggressive look of the RAV4. I've seen the RAV4 in real life, and it is *gorgeous*. If the Highlander has the RAV4 look, who needs an RX?
    Hi, everyone,
    The two SUVs I have narrowed down for my choice are the Highlander and the MDX. I saw the first MDX on the street today. It looks more like a minivan to me. Acura says it builds the MDX from the Odyssey frame. No wonder! I'll stay wait for the Highlander.
    BTW, the Mazda Tribute seems to be not bad.
    Its V6 produces 220HP, mileage is 18/24. It has a "rugged good look", according to edmunds.com. Price is very reasonable. I'm just concerned with the fact that Mazda has not built SUV before, whereas Toyota is a veteran!
    What do you think?
    Vince
    First the Mazda Tribute has 200hp and it's a much smaller SUV than the MDX or Highlander. Second, it's having lots of recalls due to fact that it's a Ford (Mazda is practically owned by Ford). Mazda Tribute is same as Ford Escape. BTW Tribute is a all new design from Mazda. I've driven it before and it's actually pretty good. Handles well and the 200hp is strong but...

I've also driven a MDX and more than once. I can tell you that the MDX's 240hp felt good also. Plus the MDX can seat 7 and can hold more cargo. And did you know that Motor Trend picked it as the SUV of the year? And yes, the Mazda Tribute and Ford Escape was in the test, not to mention so was the Toyota RAV4 and Sequoia. No Highlanders because they were not available. I understand most people feel the award is bought so I give Acura credit for "buying" the award. But really, there were 12 SUVs tested and they tested for weeks and have hard data. So check it out before you dismiss it entirely.

As for the looks of the MDX as a mini-van. I disagree but that's OK. Looks are opinion based and I just happen to like the way the MDX looks. And I just simply hate the way the Highlander looks. The front end is a mess for the Highlander.

Bottomline, I like 7 passenger seating, I like real dual A/C-Heat system for the rear, I like new 4WD system, I like 17" Alloy Wheels and finally, I like the way the MDX drives and handles.

Sorry for running on in a Highlander section but this was a SUV I was considering but one look was enough to turn me off!
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge about the Tribune. I've had the same suspicion about Ford engines.
    Yes, to like or not to like a car style is just personal. However, I agree that the front of the Highlander is not attractive. It looks OK from other angles (back, side) though. Plus, I do like its power, mileage, price, and Toyota reputation on reliability.
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    huh
  • toeouchtoeouch Member Posts: 14
    My wife and I checked out all the new SUVs - Tribute/Escape, Sante Fe, RAV4, RX300, etc. In our judgement, each potential buyer needs to determine exactly which market they are in. The low end (Tribute, Sante Fe) are completely different from the high end in quality, refinement, options, engineering and, in all likelihood, reliability. My wife would have nothing to do with the Tribute/Escape (too noisy, rough ride) nor Hyundai (vibrations, quality concerns). We stumbled by an Acura dealer and tried an MDX: both of us were amazed that a vehicle could be so much better than the low end. It is a hard pill to swallow - it cost us nearly $39,000, but it is by far the nicest vehicle we have owned. The navigation system alone is awesome, to say nothing of all the other points raised earlier. The RX300 was nice as well, but just does not compete in price when all features are considered. A 4Runner is really a different type of vehicle than an MDX, and was never a consideration for us. If a Highlander is pitched as a "cheaper" RX300, it is meant to be in competition with the MDX kind of vehicle. Toyota will have to price it significantly below both the RX300 and the MDX to attract anyone. Honda apparently is coming out with a low end MDX in a couple of years so that the window of opportunity for Toyota is thin...
    From the pictures I've seen, if you take a Subaru Forrester and put it on steroids, you've got a Highlander.
  • hlb10hlb10 Member Posts: 4
    What's the latest new on the Highlander? When will it be out, at what price range? Where can I get more information about it?
  • sybelesybele Member Posts: 42
    Anybody knows if VSC will be provided?
  • md2002md2002 Member Posts: 142
    Is Toyota dead? That is the real question. Considering the COOLING off of the auto industry right now, you would think they would want something a buzz about the Highlander. But nothing, not even here.

Anything new?
    Toyota rarely lets much info out about upcoming products. The Sequoia and Tundra were notable exceptions. I expect we will hear more after the first of the year.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Hardly. We get more phone calls and showroom traffic on the Highlander than anything else these days. I predict it will be a hot seller to say the least. Stay tuned.

: )
    Mackabee
  • tokyomach4tokyomach4 Member Posts: 10
    The Highlander is on sale now in Japan under the name KLUGER V who knows what that is. I`m sure the one for U.S. will look close to this with only minor differences. I don`t speak or read Japanese but you all can access the site and just keep clicking. They have some nice shots including the interior, if you can find the right category. Good Luck !
  • tokyomach4tokyomach4 Member Posts: 10
    Sorry I forgot the site http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/KlugerV/
    I hope this wets your appetite for now.
    Totyomach4,

The pictures in the cite are great!
    This will keep me waiting another two months.
  • reljrelj Member Posts: 1
    Thanks Tokyomach4 for pointing us to those excellent pictures. The earlier reference to a Forester on steroids is not too far off the mark.
    I like it! Looking forward to a test drive. Now if it rides and handles like an RX300, I'll be sold.
    Thanks for the Japanese site. I looked at prices posted. Range from $21000 to $28363 for a 4 wheel drive V6 with Gpackage (using 110 yen to a dollar) Automatic included I think. Those should be well loaded.
    I see optional equipements are 45000 yen for limited slip, 80000 yen for stability control. 90000 yen for moonroof. 35000 yen for airbags. 410000 yen for DVD system.

Prices in US should be near identical, I campared Mazda Tribute Japan and US prices and they are identical.

That would be a great price. I can see myself buying a top end model with sunroof for $29000 MSRP. Maybe $27000 if dealers will negotiate after a year or so.
  • tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    So when are these jewels gonna be here?
  • detroitfeadetroitfea Member Posts: 5
    Is the Highlander going to be builded in Japan?
    They will be allocated lateer this month (perhaps by this Friday) and will be in the dealerships by the end of January or early February.

They will be built in the same Canadian plant that builds the Solara and Corolls.
  • deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    Cliffy - When you say "allocated," does that just mean a number of vehicles, or does it mean vehicles with specific options that the dealer either is told will be on them, or that they can choose? On a side note, reading your posts on other topics, you certainly are the most knowledgeable and professional of all of the other sales personnel I've seen in Edmund's Town Hall. Thanks!
    Thanks for the compliment. In answer to your question, when a vehicle is allocated to us, it is a specific vehicle. We know the color of the interior and exterior and the exact options that will be on it. We are given a production date and a temporary serial number. When the car is built, we get the regular VIN.

Under normal circumstance, we are allocated a vehicle 2 to 3 weeks before it is built. From the time it goes down the assembly line until we see it is 2 to 3 weeks. With a new product like the Highlander, they may hold them at the port (distribution facility) until they are have enough so there wont be shortages from day one.
    Cliffy, Toyota Customer Service informed me last week that initially the car will be built in Japan, and later may be built in Canada.

When the dealerships get their allocations, will they also have pricing?
    I wont argue with Toyota on that. I had heard Canadian built but it would not shock me to find that this will be done in the future, rather than now.

As to pricing, no, we will not have pricing when they are allocated. We will get the holdback amounts immediately and that can be used to extrapolate the base invoice and I can guess at option costs but they will be guesses. When the Sequoia came out, I was within $500 of actual invoice and I was right on for the sticker price just by guessing the mark-ups. My guess on a leaded Limited was $45000 and it came in at $45087. I guessed $39000 to $40000 for a loaded SR5 and it came in at $39500.

I'll do the same thing and post the guesses here as soon as I can.
  • detroitfeadetroitfea Member Posts: 5
    Too me, Highlander is a car base SUV, so it will ride and handle better than 4 Runner, More power with a better VVTi Engine. Probably 4 Runner will handle better in real OFF ROAD situation. But pricing is also an important factor.

If Highlander is going to be sold at MSRP, while one can get a 4 Runner at invoice. ( Or under invoice after the highlander come out in Feb) We might be in a situation where both of these SUV can be had at the same price early next year. Which one would be a better value then? Without actually driving both, it is kind of difficult to say, but what do you guys think just from the Tech Spec ?
    When I was at the NY Auto Show, the Toyota reps said that price-wise, the Highlander would fall in between the RAV4 and the 4Runner. Being that a 4Runner Limited V6 4wd starts out at $37,600, and perhaps can be discounted to $35,000, this would still be too high a price for a decked out Highlander since one can buy an Acura MDX for that price. I believe one of the earlier responses posted Japanese prices for the Toyota Kluger, and reported a yen conversion ratio. If one does the math, the Highlander prices (mid to upper 20's) seem much more sensible. Anyway, in 5-6 weeks, we should know the actual figures.

I'm interested in readers' (especially Cliffy's)feedback regarding how a normally aspirated 4 cylinder engine is going to power a 3500-3800 (est.), automatic transmissioned vehicle, especially in AWD configuration. I've driven a new 5 speed V6 4 Runner and felt that was anemic!
    Time will tell.
    While we don't have HP specs yet, I would guess that the VVT-i 2.2 will come in around 150 to 160 HP. That would be OK for many people in a vehicle of this size. Keep in mind that our old 4Runner was putting out 150 HP and weighed over 4000 pounds. Yes, it was anemic but people bought it. Time will tell but I suspect we will sell far more V6 models than the 4.
    Looks like I need to spend a bit of time on the ol' web site doesn't it?

Springfield VA is a suburb of Washington DC. We are at the Southern most portion of the DC Beltway. By way of the crow, we are about 7 miles South of the DC line. Planning a trip?
    My District Manager was here today and I had a chance to ask a few questions about the Highlander. First, the relase date will be in late January. Next, it will be about 8 inches longer than the RX300. Last, he didn't have specific pricing but claimed a loaded V6 4x4 with leather and the works would come in around $30K. he seemed to think this was a fairly firm number. I'm not holding my breath on this but it is encouraging.