Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Dodge Durango

Comments

• Options
    robert1972robert1972 Member Posts: 51
    ... my realestate agent has a 99 navagiator now with 35k that has never ben in for problems, and my in laws have a 97 (I belive) explorer with a v8 that now has 78K, it also has never given them any problems. like I said there is not a better looking truck or suv than dodge but from my experiance they are the most un-reliable vehicle there is.
    R.....
  • Options
    luvboxrsluvboxrs Member Posts: 47
    Yup, our Daimler Chrysler piece o crap is now on some dealer's lot awaiting some unlucky individual to come along and buy it. I thought it was interesting how at the beginning of this topic, linart explained he didn't buy a Durango because his Dak was junk and bought the Pathfinder instead. D owners jumped in with their "Chrysler reliability is great/improved/whatever" and now all you see in the last 80 posts is fishtailing Ds, rear ends replaced, trannys gone, oil leaks.

I was on this same board singing the praises when I bought our 99 D 16 months ago. I couldn't get rid of that truck fast enough. The problems started at 1200 mi. and never stopped: tires cupping, front end wouldn't stay aligned, steering column replaced 4 (yes, 4!) times, intake manifold gasket replaced, fog lights stopped working, ball joints replaced, drivers seat rocking, a still unresolved squeak in the steering despite 2 attempts to fix, paint chips the size of dimes on my bumper, an A/C that pushed cool (rather than cold) air, serious ABS issues (brakes alternately unresponsive and locking up in wet conditions sending the vehicle sliding down the road) windows working only intermittently. Add to this a bone jarring ride and a vehicle that skitters every curve and bump.

Do I sound bitter?

Believe it or not, there are things I liked about my D: the low end V-8 power and torque was great, the size is perfect, not too small or too big. Still the best looking SUV out there. I didn't even mind the gas mileage.

I don't know if my Pathfinder will offer better reliability than the Durango, but if I have HALF the problems the D had, I will be happy!
  • Options
    rcarbonircarboni Member Posts: 290
    luvboxrs,
  • Options
    Hit a bad key there.

Anyway, I have read all along about your troubles, and I'm really surprised you didn't try to negotiate under the lemon laws. Your truck was definitely not normal.

I think you will have great luck with the Pathfinder. However, I would suggest that you think about trading it in before 75K miles. I have friends with PFs who wore the rings out around 80-100K miles, and now have lost power, black/blue smoke, and reduced mpg. The V6 rpm band is much higher in the PF, and the wear shows a lot sooner. Otherwise, they have been very happy.
  • Options
    The t-stat leak was definitely a common problem I have heard others complain about. The other leaks are abnormal.

Maybe you saw oil and anti-freeze in the same location on your garage floor because they collected together in the skid plates and dripped from the drain hole. Then again, if you don't have skid plates, then I wouldn't buy the story about the oil filter.

Anyway, you're right about the fact that you shouldn't have any leaks. I would be mighty annoyed as well. Then again, I would fix them myself and make sure it was done right the first time. I guess I have a whole different perspective on things.

I'm sure you know some people with trouble-free Fords, but I've seen some bad experiences as well. Check out some of the Ford forums - there's just as much misery over there.
  • Options
    mrboostmrboost Member Posts: 32
    The high oil consumption is due to the intake manifold gasket. It will draw oil into the intake ports. That should be corrected at the dealer.

I noticed the same thing, many post here because they are experiencing problems and poor service.

Ford makes great cars/trucks sure :) Ask all the 3.8 V6 owners about their headgaskets.

Nissan, I would be more concerned they wont be around in a few years. Heard they had another miserable quarter, Renault will be asking for more cost cuts etc.

Oh, my neighbor had a 95 Pathfinder, had so many electrical problems that they finally sold it.

For what it is worth, my D hasnt used any oil. I converted it to synthetic 5600 miles ago, hasnt used a drop.

Later
  • Options
    Hi all
    dropped off the D to get the tranny leak fixed this morning, two blocks away is a BMW dealer and I noticed they had an X5 outside, just for the hell of it I stopped in just to take a peek at it, the sales man asked if I wanted to take it for a drive (you would be an idiot if you said no) well now I wish I would have never done that. That vehicle is amazing, it will stomp the D on accleration, out handle it in the turns, stop twice as fast, you don't even hear any wind noise at 85 MPH and to top it off it rides so smooth you forget you are driving a 4X4. For as much as all of or most of us think we like our D's you will hate it if you get your hands on an X5. One other thing yesterday I said the D is the best looking suv out there, well I was wrong this X5 was dark blue metallic with grey leather and it was awsome. Too bad it's about 26K MORE than the D when new. Oh well guess until I win the lotto I will have to keep driving (and fixing) the D.
    I'll let you all know what they come up with when I get it back.
    R......
  • Options
    tyronettyronet Member Posts: 2
    i had an oil leak problem last year when i first purchased my 99 2wd durango. it had something to do with the oil filter adapter gasket. once the
    gasket was replaced everything seemed to be okay.
    the t.s.b. number was 09-55-05-93
  • Options
    picked up the D yesterday, they wouldnt fix the pan gasket under warr. because they said the pan had a small dent in it, I went to look and the tech had to point it out to me because it was so small. The fact is I ordered this vehicle when new, it's never ben off road,as the matter of fact it's never ben on a dirt road. I called chrysler and they told me the same thing that they wouldn't cover it. I can't belive that chrysler will ship defective vehicles and knowing that they can blame it on the owner later. My family and I have ben driving chrysler for many years, but because of what they did to me on this vehicle I will never own another again.
    For thoes of you thinking of buying one new or not you should take it to an independent mechanic, have them put it on the hoist and inspect it as though it had 100,000 miles on it, if you don't you will be sorry. I have never owned [non-permissible content removed]. stuff but I am looking at them now, like I said before, too bad the X5 BMW is out of most of our price range.
    R....
  • Options
    Keep driving it with a leak from the pan/flange interface??? That is smart.

BTW, When I purchased my 2000 D SLT Plus last OCtober, I did go over it with fine tooth comb. Since I installed mud flaps, and rust proofed it myself. I literally drove it from the dealer lot to my garage and went to work.

Surprise, not a single defect!

My D doesnt leak a drop, and the service has been great at the dealer I purchase my cars from.

If you are so unhappy with your D, I would either find another service Dept or trade it in on another car or SUV.

Oh, I changed my tranny fluid this past weekend. Took about 30 minutes to drop the tranny pan on the 46RE trans, clean it and the magnet, swap the filter, I added a B&M drain plug and refill.

later
  • Options
    My understanding of CA lemon law is 4 attempts to repair in 1 year from purchase or 12k miles. Under these provisions, we didn't qualify. Plus, don't they just give you another Chrysler vehicle?

I was really spoiled with my 91 Honda Accord that I sold to buy the Durango: 82k miles with only routine maintenance. THAT was owner satisfaction! Maybe I got lucky, I don't know. I felt so betrayed and disappointed with the D, we saved up, sold the Honda, researched everything, ordered and bought our dream SUV: the D. We ordered over $500 of accessories before it even arrived. I loaded up on Zaino products. I really wanted to like it. Oh well.

About the Pathfinder rings, since the PF engine is new for 01 models, do you think I'll be looking at the problem with the rings you mentioned? Hope not. I'm not sure if I'll keep the PF that long anyway--I'm going to start selling off body parts and fluids and buy me a Toyota Landcruiser.
  • Options
    steve234steve234 Member Posts: 460
    While I am not a Durango owner (buying a Dakota), most of the complaints I am seeing here can be attributed to piss-poor dealers. A s a major fan of Ford trucks, I decided to buy my 91 F150 in the college town I live in. Love the truck, but it had to have premium gas and was constantly losing power. Every time that I took it to the dealer, they took forever to fix it and it would be back in a few weeks. I finally took it to another dealer 135 miles away that had a good rep. They found that the original dealer was just slapping parts that did not even belong on the vehicle and not doing the work right. They found the original problem to be a mismarked timing mark and a faulty distibutor. One trip covered under warranty and I now have 161,000 miles and the engine is still as strong as it was 145,000 miles ago when they solved my problems. They even made a couple of warranty fixes that I did not even know about. Try to find another dealer and if you can find a good one, let D/C know all about it and how bad the other dealer is. I bet eventually they will listen.
  • Options
    bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    I ordered out a new 98 SLT PLUS with all the goodies offered except leather & rear air. About the problem we have had is the power windows not wanting to go up at times (dealer replaced window motor). At present we have just under 50,000 miles on it. I plan on buying another one. I sold a GMC Suburban and bought the Durango. I lost no seats, since I got the third seat. Does PF have a third seat or now are you down to 5 again. I have PT & FT 4wd (a 98 option). Maybe I'm treating my vehicle in the wrong way....I have no oil leaks of any kind......I have bounced it off road down muddy fire lanes, drove thru blizzards and golf ball size hail (lucky, escaped with no dents). Somebody, please tell me what I'm doing wrong. I want a loaner like my neighbor's have since their SUV is in the shop all the time.
  • Options
    I think it's great you have no problems with your D! I wish I had gotten your truck rather than mine, that's for sure.

No, the Pathfinder doesn't have a 3rd seat. I didn't have the 3rd seat in my D anyway, so I didn't lose anything there. I won't lie, the PF is a tighter fit. Rear seat passengers will not be as comfortable. For me personally, this is not a problem as I do not have kids or passengers very often. And as long as my two dogs (boxers, thus the username) fit in the cargo area, that's all the space I need.
  • Options
    Took your advice, and changed the gasket my self, while I was in there, I serviced the tranny and did go ahead and change out the pan also, I bought all the parts from a different dealer spent just under $100.00, and had it done in about 45 minutes. The dealer wanted $100.00 just to replace the gasket, (not servicing the trans or replacing the pan).
    I understand that "if you want it done right do it yourself" but when you spend all this money you shouldn't have to do it at all.
    And it still really pisses me off that chrysler will ship a defective vehicle knowing that one day it will go in for service and the customer will have to pay for it. Oh yea one other thing, when I went to get the parts, the first oil pan had a small dent in it too, natrually I told him I wouldn't accept it and he got a different one.
    R.....
  • Options
    Robert

How did the dent cause the leak??? Did the pan leak from day 1?? Was the dent in pan from day 1??? You said the new pan had a "small" dent also?

I dont understand how a dent would cause a leak?

Also, if it was me, I would have pushed the dent out and then resealed it when I did the filter service

Maybe you need skid plates!

Oh chill man, at least you can work on it.

Try it on some of these new cars.

Later.
  • Options
    I'm glad to hear you fixed the pan. Although it's too late for this change, next time you have the pan off, I would suggest installing a drain plug. They make the changes so much easier when you're doing them yourself. Easy to install, you just drill a 1/2" hole in the pan and install the plug with some Loc-tite.

I'll probably get some flames, but as far as the quality variance of American vehicles go, you can thank the UAW for that. IMHO, they are more concerned with their pay increases than quality control. Maybe their increases should be directly related to how many faulty vehicles hit the road.

However, as Durangos are selling like crazy, there can't be that many that are having problems. Otherwise, the dealer garages would be filled with them and sales would go down, and I don't see that around me. On the other hand, Nissan is apparently having trouble staying afloat. There's apparently something about Nissan that the buying public doesn't like, but what it is I don't know.
  • Options
    They are 13$ billion in the dink !

I predict they wont be around in 5 years.

What have they made the last 10 years??

Maximas?? Not a bad car.
    Altima- Boring, loosing sales fast, not a good performer.
    Pathfinder- has its niche, but a small player compared to GC, Explorer, Durango.
    Exterra- I dont know what people see in these. Too small and way underpowered.
    200sx- Do they still make that??

Quality- Suspect at best.

If they were top notch, they wouldn't have all these boring cars. Adding the Infinity line really killed them since they should have been developing a good mini van and SUV's.

Of course I can think of all their stupid marketing campaigns. Remeber Ken and Barbie in the 300 Z, even though they didnt make them anymore. OR how about that old fart, Dogs like trucks. Not Nissans, their trucks are dogs!
    Now that Lenny Kravits "I want to get away" sure you can! All gen X kids flipping burgers are going to pony up 27K for an Xterra. Right?

I read they had a really bad quarter and Ghosn is screaming for heads and cost cuts. Something tells me all their suppliers will be cutting all the corners in their parts after they get pimped by Nissan.

Later
  • Options
    baj1106baj1106 Member Posts: 8
    was happy till 9 mos ago with slt plus model..now 36,200 miles with 5.2 magnum slugger idling high on start, then rpms drop, then run high w/out applying gas pedal...at hiway speed, engine starts bucking, cant hold steady rpm's, even with cruise control..take my foot off the gas and rpms move higher, lower, higher ..had to dealer, they replaced idle air control...problem still persists now 5 visits later..."cant replicate problem"...so I went back again and took mechanic on road so he could experience "Dodge Different", he said wow, man...looks like well have to disassemble tranny...they did TSBservice, still have problem, which I think is a safety problem...called Chrysler...ZERO help...I keep havin to rent cars (dealer coincidentally owns the rental car agency) so I can go to work while they cant even find the problem...cant afford to own the dang piece of garbage...now my pax window is stuck too...I had a Jeep gran cher in '93 and should have learned my lesson about chrysler...NEVER AGAIN will I buy a chrysler product
  • Options
    bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    When my Durango is in the shop (which is rarely) I get a free loaner. I got the 5.2 too, no problem with it. Course you have to keep up maintenance on any vehicle, tune ups, oil changes, etc.
  • Options
    baj1106baj1106 Member Posts: 8
    I was told regular warranty doesnt provide for loaner, and even the extended warranty doesnt provide...like clockwork, I keep this puppy in for routine maintenance, change oil every 3k, etc....Im just really, really disappointed in chryslers lack of interest in trying to make a customer happy ....I got spoiled by Infiniti cause every time I took wifes car to dealer for maintenance, warranty work, etc, they bent over backwards to fix, looked for wear & tear like for weatherstripping and fixed without my even mentioning it was a problem, and gave me loaner..after we had the car for like 3 months, Infiniti called to see how we liked it; said it vibrated on hiway, so we brought in, they hooked up sound sensors, big tech thing and ended up giving all new wheels and tires, adjusted suspension, etc....THAT was service
  • Options
    I agree with you 100%, my dealer showed no concern about my problem, then again chrysler customer service showed even less.

mrboost
    I dont know how the dent caused the leak, especially for how small it was,when I asked the dealer the same question you know what they said, "it doesnt matter, the fact is there is a dent, and weather you did it or not it is your word againest chryslers and you know that they have the upper hand" also I dont need skid plates because this truck NEVER goes off road.The reason I put the new pan on is so that next time it goes in which my understanding is that the tranny are junk on these, they wont use the same lame excuse.
  • Options
    I thought about putting a drain plug, but then I also figured that when it went in again that chrysler would find a way to void the warranty because it wasnt installed from the factory.
  • Options
    I was at the gas station the yesterday and there was a guy with a black D slt + 5.9, he bought it new and was trouble free until it hit 23K, the fuel pump went out and stranded his wife on the freeway in rush hour traffic, is this ANOTHER common problem to watch for? While it was in he said that he complained about a howling noise, well I guess they rebuilt the rear diff. Now the truck has 30K and he said the noise is back again.? Is this common also?
    Thanks Robert
  • Options
    baltychenbaltychen Member Posts: 50
    Can anyone tell me why D does not have a pair of front tow hooks?
  • Options
    captain13captain13 Member Posts: 10
    My dealer had the D for 5 days trying to fix the tranny prob. Everything they did seemed to make it worse. Last Thur. they said that it was now dying at stop signs which it didn't do before. After a couple of discussions with the sales mgr. the area Daimler Chrysler rep was contacted. I talked to him Fri. night. He told me that they had the top tranny man involved but that they would give me a new vehicle if that was what I wanted. Even though its not over yet, there was a willingness to help. This time I want one that has less then 10 miles on it so I know where its been.
  • Options
    The more I think about your tranny pan issue, the more it confuses me. It suprises me very much to hear of a dealer refusing warranty work. It's not like the money for the work comes out of his pocket. The dealer validates the work with DC and gets reimbursed. The problem I've always heard of is dealers that provide TOO MUCH warranty work to pad their inventory and keep the mechanics busy. So why does a dealer refuse a problem that he can obviously get reimbursed for?

The answer may be that this dealer has had previous problems with false or questionable warranty claims. He's now under tight scrutiny and doesn't want to get caught again. Just a thought. If this is the case, I would go to another dealer pronto.

I have always found that Chrysler dealers were more than willing to do warranty work (even when questionable) on my 2 Jeeps. It would seem that Dodge would hold this same philosophy. Fortunately though, I've never been to the dealer so I wouldn't know.

baltychen,

My guess on the tow hooks is that they are not required by the majority of D buyers, so why add to the cost. I believe they are available as add-ons. Also, some others have installed a front receiver hitch to add even more flexibility.
  • Options
    baltychenbaltychen Member Posts: 50
    Thank you.
  • Options
    tyronettyronet Member Posts: 2
    as a follow-up to my posting of #113 i had another
    oil leak problem this past weekend.
    just as before the check gauges light came on and
    just as before the oil was almost two quarts low.
    put it in the shop tuesday morning and got it back wednesday evening.
    they had to replace the intake gasket and the
    plenum gasket per t.s.b. no. 090699.
    can't wait to see what kind of oil leak develops
    next ????????????
  • Options
    bubba64bubba64 Member Posts: 1
    I'm interested in buying a new Durango, and noticed that the driver safety rating is "poor." Could anyone quickly educate me on the issue.
  • Options
    I would recomend you look into a different SUV or you better have a back-up vehicle to use while your D is in the shop.I have ben a Dodge man for several years, but after owining this durango and dealing with chrysler I will NEVER own another chrysler product. I know they are more expensive, but there is a lot more quality in the new BMW X5, if tou can afford it that may be the ultimate alternative, I know that if I could make the swap I would and never look back.
    Good luck
    Robert
  • Options
    ziggy17ziggy17 Member Posts: 1
    You might want to ask your mechanic to check your air intake to the engine, there might be a hole somewhere in the airduct or try asking about your fuel intake possibly fuel injector clogged?
  • Options
    ripperdogripperdog Member Posts: 1
    My 98 Durango with 40,000 miles has been in and out of the shop since March. I brough it in because of a shimmy in the front. They couldn't find anything wrong but pointed out some pretty serious wear on the inside of the tires. They balanced and rotated the tires which moved the shimmy to the rear. Obviously the tires where the problem (I put the spare on and the problem went away) so I brought it to Goodyear for new tires and a state inspection. They gave the tires but wouldn't give me an inspection sticker because there was too much play in the front wheel. To make a long story short (I made 4 trips to Chrysler Dealer where my D sits now) the ball joints, upper and lower, were shot and had to be replaced as did one of the front hubs. Ouch! not cheap. I called Chrysler and they have agrred to work with me a little on the cost since the truck is only 2 and a half years old. My Dakota, also a 98, had to have its ball joints replaced. I can't imagine I've got the only vehicles with this problem, has onyone else had the same experience? Since we bought this Durango its needed a new battery when it was six months old, the gearshft lever needed a repair, the vehicle was recalled for the gas tank straps and brake lines, the ball joint and now a hub have had to be replaced and I think the transmission needs work as it didn't want to go into reverse the other day. In the last four years I've owned a Jeep Grand Cherokee, the Durango and the Dakota, fun to drive but I can't afford the cost or the time all the repairs take, the jeep had some problems too. I hate say it but Chrysler can take me off of their mailing list permanently.
  • Options
    The ball joint problem seems to show up on some of the earlier Durangos, but I haven't heard of any '99s or later with the problem. I have a '98, but haven't had any problems other than the gas tank strap recall.

I can't say I agree with you on the Jeeps. I've had two Wranglers, and three of my buddies have Cherokees. We beat them up a lot off-road and on, and they never have any mechanical failure.
  • Options
    You might want to check out the "BMW X5 Problems" topic. Seems like quite a few disgruntled owners there as well. I guess more money doesn't always get you more quality.
  • Options
    99 Durango, ball joints out at 20k miles. The problem is NOT limited to early Durangos :(

At least 2 other Durango owners have reported bad ball joints on their 99 Ds in the last few weeks on the board at durangoclub.com
  • Options
    cade1cade1 Member Posts: 3
    have 1999 d many problems new wheel barings or hubsboth sides new tps throttle problem, oil leak,and a noise which sounds like a howl or more like the d is haunted. every thing has been corrected except the howl which happens on and off for jut a few seconds each time.any one else have this problem,please let me know it wont be long that i'm out of warrenty.
  • Options
    Sounds like the bad ball joints HAS made it's way into the 99's. There was no TSB for 99, but there is one for 98 (020498). Hopefully the redesigned front steering/suspension on the 2000 cured the problems.

cade1,

Without a better description of your "howl", I don't think anyone could provide a possible cause. Does the noise emit from the engine, drivetrain, windows, ventilation, tires...??? When does it occur - in motion, at rest, or at certain speeds? Is it wind noise or mechanical noise?
  • Options
    cade1cade1 Member Posts: 3
    the howel or moan that i mentioned before seems to be coming from anywhere between the right front door and the right front wheel it happens for just seconds and stops so its hard to pinpoint just where it's at.it seems to moan{for lack of abetter explanation} at any given time,braking,excelerating or just cruising but NEVER when a tech test drives it.hope some one has an answer.
  • Options
    rrumanerrrumaner Member Posts: 1
    I have had my '99 5.2 SLT+ Durango for 17 months (bought 1/30/99), have driven it over 36K miles both on/off road, at very high speed on the highways and slow speed on streets. I haven't had any of the problems mentioned here except the foglight switch problem and that was taken care of under warranty.

I also have nothing but praise for the service department that I use - Koller Dodge in Naperville, IL - every 3K miles.

My D handles high speeds (over 80mph) on the expressways for extended periods and also performs very well at the posted speed limits on the road (under 30mph). I have added only the High Performance PCM and I get an average of 14.5mpg, but I knew it didn't get great mileage when I bought it so I cannot complain about that.

I have not had any problems with oil leaks, ball joints, tires, brakes or anything else that would cause me to say anything bad about the Durango.

If I had to pick one thing to complain about, it would be the fact that there is no place to mount a license plate in the front that doesn't block the airflow to the lower radiator. In Illinois, a front plate is required, but I have had mine torn off too many times when driving off-road to leave it on.

If you are in the market for a new Durango, don't listen to everyone who complains about theirs, they probably don't know how to maintain a vehicle of this quality, or more likely they probably don't even own one and just want to bash it due to extreme jealously.
  • Options
    rrumaner writes: If you are in the market for a new Durango, don't listen to everyone who complains about theirs, they probably don't know how to maintain a vehicle of this quality, or more likely they probably don't even own one and just want to bash it due to extreme jealously.
    -------------

This comment is evidence of your obviously sophmoric intellect. Anyone who thinks a vehicle with ball joints out at 20k mi, intake manifold gasket replacement at 17k or 4 steering column replacements is a owner maintenance issue is really the person you should not be listening to.

FYI, I think it's great you don't have any problems with your Durango. I wish that had been the case for me so I wouldn't have invested thousands of dollars in a vehicle I ended up having to ditch after 16 months. I lost alot of money on that vehicle, and I'm not very happy about it. I also acknowledge that my problems do not and did not affect the MAJORITY of Durango owners. Fact is, rrumaner, people are having problems. Your comments about "jealously" and owner maintenance issues are just silly and accuse the people who post here with legitimate problems as being liars or retards or both.
  • Options
    luvboxrs,

I don't think anyone has any problem with a legitimate Durango owner having problems that tries their best to resolve them. You obviously have tried your best to work through the problems with your undoubtable lemon. Unfortunately, there are many others who post under guise of ownership with the intention of bashing a vehicle. Many are competitive dealers and/or former owners of the brand they are bashing who have had a bad experience.

Legitimate owners don't need or want this bad publicity tainting the reputation of their vehicle and possibly swaying opinions in the resale market with unfound rumors. It's bad enough that we have the trolls on the stock market message boards confusing issues. We certainly don't want them here.

For the others here seeking potential reliability in a vehicle, these forums have become a bewildering mass of content. It's apparent from my reading that a reliably built vehicle no longer exists anywhere in the world. If you were to read the JGC topics, you would think that a Yugo with 100K miles is a better purchase. It's obvious that the bad news is much more entertaining and stimulating than the good.

Therefore, we should take these topics for what they are worth - a bunch of opinions that make good entertainment, but are in no way reflective of the larger picture.
  • Options
    It is obvious you dont currently own a Durango.

I suspect your probably one of the more vocal customers who was not satisified with your former D.

However, I own one and know many other people who also have them and are very happy. I just dont understand how a simple ball joint replacement could be screwed up at a service department nor an intake gasket replacement. Those, while an inconvenience, should have been corrected. As far as a steering column, I couldnt comment because your the first I have ever heard who had to have 4 replaced.

I hope you have good luck with your Pathfinder. I looked at those but found them to be too small and underpowered, even with that new V6. 245 ft-lbs of tourque doesnt cut it in a 4500lb SUV. Also my neighbor who owns a 97 warned me about all the issues he had with his, but I checked them anyway, also the 4Runner, Durango, Explorer, Expedition, Tahoe, Grand Cherokee.

I found the Durango to offer the most bang for the buck. The Pathfinder and 4Runner were too underpowered. The others with V8's offered great power, different options, but some were too big, the others too small.

I also networked around and everyone I spoke with highly recommended their D. Most told me it was by far the nicest car/truck they had ever owned.

I also looked at the Durango Forum at the DOC. They pull no punches over there. I dont think anyone over there had been so disappointed that they dumped theirs. They have noted the problems associated with each model year, which are few and far between. The LA 5.9/5.2 engine has been around for years. The DANA 9 1/4 rear end is bullet proof, and the NV242 Transfer case is a very good one. So in my logic, I figure can get many many miles out of it no problem. Throw in the fact that my brother owns a 92 DAK Sport 4X4 with the 5.2 and it has 115,000 miles without a single problem other than a wiper motor replacement.

Anyhow, I have greatly enjoyed mine thus far and will be doing many mods to it.

Good luck with your Pathfinder.

May I suggest that your energies may be better spent by joining a Pathfinder club, rather than posting about your terrible luck with your former Durango. I think you have made your point here and anyone visiting can figure that out.

Regards

MrBoost
  • Options
    msjrmsjr Member Posts: 13
    I am considering a Durango and I need to know if the second row of seats recline. This is essential for children who fall asleep.

None of the sites I've checked so far mentioned this in the vehicle description.
  • Options
    Thanks for your suggestions, however I will continue to be vocal about my problems with my FORMER Durango. Just as vocal as I was when I REPEATEDLY posted how much I loved it. I didn't realize this forum was soley for the purpose of happy Durango owners.

As far as my problems being "screwed up by the service dept" as you stated...I never said that they were! All of my many problems were "fixed" by the service dept, except for the steering column that continued to have problems. I simply refuse to drive ANY vehicle that has what I consider to be major problems fixed in a 20k mile time period. It is not appropriate for a (NEW!) vehicle to be in the shop that much!

You and others who currently own Ds never fail to point out repeatedly how much you like your D and how few problems you have. Are the people who are not happy limited to one post? While happy folks can post all they want? (As you say...MY point has been made from my posts, but I guess yours aren't because you continue to post how happy you are with your Ds.) You hang out here just like you do on the DOC...so if YOUR point has been made (about how great your D is) I guess you can pack up and move on out too.

If someone posts here asking if you like your Durango will you post (again) that you love it? And I cannot tell them my experience? Why is that?

rcarboni: you have some of the most intelligent posts on this forum. You always seem fair. Hey, I know goofballs say stupid stuff, but I haven't seen any problems on this board that I haven't seen on the DOC and you know it's true. They have the same problems I and others have had. (I have never claimed to have had anything less than an unusual number of problems--a situation I know is VERY uncommon.) Maybe we're just more vocal about it here...in neutral territory. I remember when someone came to the DOC board almost a year ago and asked about problems and the regulars bashed and bashed him. No wonder. I have a feeling former D owners don't return to the DOC to complain (I didn't!) and current DOC members are too caught up in their mods to care about a little thing like ball joints being out.

Guys, do you really think a few complainers on the Edmunds board will reduce the resale value of a vehicle? I'm not being a smart ***, I really want to know if that's how you guys feel? Shut up the complainers because it's lowering the resale value of your vehicles? Does KBB take that into consideration on their values (ok, now I'm being smart)! :D

Everyone can mellow out now.....

Lisa
  • Options
    You have every right to vent here as much as you want IMO. My beef as I stated, is with the trolls who perpetuate negative comments about ANY vehicle, not just the D. I know it's being done because I have friends (term used loosely) who tell me they do it!

Again, if I were to reference these forums for the purchase of a vehicle, I would be hard pressed to find ANYTHING that gets rave reviews. There seems to be 10 negative comments for every positive.

I also must disagree with the DOC berating negative posters. The spirit of the DOC is to help anyone with problems and always has been. Yes, there is a zealous nature to those D owners, but I like the positive attitude.

Everyone has problems of some nature. You can decide to fix it and move on, or [non-permissible content removed] and moan about it continuously. I personally choose to fix it and enjoy the rest of the day. What others do is their preference, and I respect that. If it helps to ease the anguish by recounting your misfortunes, so be it.
  • Options
    vac23vac23 Member Posts: 118
    Everyone has a right to express their opinions, whether or not the reader chooses to take it seriously-it is up to the readers. I don't own a "D" right now, but if I were to buy one I would not rely solely on the information posted on this message board. A couple of people at work own a D & haven't had any problems with it, yet I see alot of used D on dealers lot-(not just dodge dealers either). There are always going to be good and bad things about everything. If you have something good to say then say it if not then say it as well. We just have to respect each other's opinion.
  • Options
    Ok

Now I see.

They fixed your bad ball joints per the TSB and all the other problems except the steering column.

So basically you dumped it because of the steering column issue. So you were satisfied with the service and their efforts to remedy your problems.

What exactly was wrong with the steering column??

Vac23: You see a lot of used D's on lots because the 98's are coming off lease. My coworker was looking at D's but opted to buy a new one since the resale value is so high. I have seen used 98's on lots for 25K$ with 30,000 miles on them. Much better deal to buy a new one and grab the 2000$ rebate. That is what my co-worker did, unfortunately for him, his wife loves it so much he has to fight her for it.

Peace

MrBoost
  • Options
    steve234steve234 Member Posts: 460
    I am a dakota-to-be owner who has been ducking in here periodically to check out the Durango information. I was noting the topic lately and thought that I might put in my .02. I agree that the forums should be open for all comments, but most of us get tired of the few trouble makers and the guys that get a bad vehicle and dicide to post it on as many sites as possible. luvboxrs, you are free to post as you wish, but think of the people who are not unhappy with their vehicles. Maybe not you personally, but a lot of immature people want to make everybody as unhappy as they have been with a purchase or just want to cause worry for a brand they do not care for. Many people are unhappy with a vehicle because they let the thrill of the purchase blind them to the problems a vehicle may have or their expectations are too high. The service department of many dealers are often the cause of many a dissatisfied customer. On my side of the coin, I once owned a 88 Daytona. I saw it one December at the dealer and had to have it. In three years and 50K miles, it had the alt., PS & windshield replaced, a mouse removed from the ducting and the car was repainted three times. And the last paint job required that all the glass be replaced. All this was under warranty or insurance. I got rid of that car when the warranty ran out because I did not want to take the chance on more of the same. I had a good dealer service dept., I loved the little car and it suited my needs at the time. It was just time to let go.
    If there is a problem that may affect others, it should be posted. If you want to [non-permissible content removed], set up a I hate _______ forum.
  • Options
    msjrmsjr Member Posts: 13
    Hey when you guys get finished arguing, could someone please tell me if the rear seat recline in the D.

thanks!
This discussion has been closed.