Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar SIII XJ / XJS - a much maligned classic?

Comments

• andy_jordanandy_jordan Member Posts: 764
    dmax1 - the stalling could have been caused by crud at the bottom of the gas tank getting into the fuel filter and partially blocking fuel flow.

The check engine light could be anything - even the gas cap not fitted properly. It is worth getting the mechanic to hook the car up to the computer and at least read the code to find out what problem is being reported - you will then be better informed as to whether there is a real problem.

geno3 - I hear your pain with the cooling system. Make sure that you have the right type of t-stats - not just temperature, but with the jiggle pins - 'the book' and the e-mail archive at jag-lovers cover this in some depth. The other thing you may need to address is the fan clutch, or maybe the auxiliary fan. Also make sure that the hoses to the recovery tank are clear - there is a metal connector that gets blocked easily and a flimsy hose into the tank itself that often gets blocked by a kink.
  • tigerktigerk Member Posts: 1
    I love JAG and looking to purchase a used one for daily driver.Option 1: Looking at xj6 89 with over 100kmi, with great body/interior for 6900, is their any life left in this car? what about all the horror stories about jags? Option2: buy a really used jag possibly a xj6 convertible without regard to the eng. and just put a chevy Eng ect. in it. I am only interested in Jags' shape and cool looks, what Engine it has is not a big deal. Would appreciate detailed comments and advice.
  • geno3geno3 Member Posts: 12
    thanks for the recovery tank info, didn't think of that one. since I got the thing apart already i'll check it. I resolved myself to getting the JAG original thermostats for the thing. They should be alright but I'll check for the wiggle pins anyway. The original owner must have loved BARRS LEAK cuz everything is stuck or slimey in the system. I am still cleaning out the stuff after the fourth time of draining the radiator. This is aggrevating. I wish they never invented the stuff. I've replaced just about every hose in the system except the heater core and I may have to do that too! What a waste of time and effort!! The GANO filters have saved me a lot of time already finding junk in the system. They have been well worth the money. I'll keep you all posted. In passing, When I bought the after market T-stats they had the same part number from the manufacturer but the length (base to plunger) was different and one had no wiggle pin or hole. I guess there are some strange configuations out there.
    Don't have much experience with the xj6 but I would advise buying a newer jag with the original engine that has been taken care of. It costs plenty to convert any car, much less a JAG.
  • bill192bill192 Member Posts: 1
    Check out the two Jaguar message boards on this Jaguar club site. No passwords or registration required! It's moderated too and free of adverts and the like.

http://www.wisconsinjaguars.org/
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    I've been told the 88's and 89's are some of the worst years for Jaguar. If you like the looks, the kept the same bodystyle until 1994, and the newer ones are much better cars (they worked the bugs out). Personally, I think the 95 & up are the best looking, but that's just opinion. The thing about old Jags is that you get a beautiful car for little money, but you really have to do your homework (both on the model and specific vehicle), and be prepared to spend some money.
    Well that's odd - coz the stats I saw suggested (that for XJ-S at least) 88 / 89 were some of the best pre-Ford years of that era - by that I mean pre Ford influence, say 94 onwards.

Maybe the XJ6 suffered in favour of the XJ-S. The one advantage that the 6 has is the engine, you are automativally avoiding a lot of the problems which are associated with the 12.

But of course it is still a money pit - but oh, what a money pit :-)
  • sib715sib715 Member Posts: 15
    I am looking at this beauty with very good exterior and interior, but the engine needs work. The ask is $7500 and as a new Stpye owner, I don't have a vlue about this year and model and costs to get the car running. I would appreciate any advice
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The car is way, way overpriced. Walk away at a fast pace. It's a $2,000 car all day long if it needs engine "work", and if it needs serious engine work, the car is basically *worthless*. You can buy very clean, good running versions of a 1975 (which I don't recommend you do) for $4,000. Aside from chronic electrical problems and power steering leaks, the transmissions are pretty much awful.

RE: V-8 installations. This serves three purposes:

a) You get rid of the very best part of a Jaguar, the dohc engine.

b) You ruin the car's quietness and smoothness

c) You lower its value.
    I agree with you in the conversion of the V-12 to a V-8. Even though the V-12 does have it's problems it is still a sweet running engine. There aren't too many cars around that can give you the quiet ride and some rpm's. Although it does have it's querks it is still a joy to drive. They just have to have a little more TLC than drive and forget autos but when you step on the gas it pulls well throughout the power band. I have had other highpo autos and I find that I enjoy driving my XJS more than the others. That is qualified by when I have it running. It is an
    "89" but with some tenacitiy and thought on repairs it should go over 175K without major repairs. I would never think of changing out the V-12 for an "8". I'll buy another V-12 and drive that into the ground instead.
    Yes, they are very nice cars to drive. This is by far their strongest attribute and along with pretty good looks might make the stresses of ownership worth it. You have to be a big car fan, though, which I'm not particularly, so I was never tempted much beyond a 3.8 sedan I owned some time ago. But i've owned far, far worse cars than an old Jaguar, so I'm not one to criticize other people's choices. I just want them to go in open-eyed---this is why I often give a "wave-off" to deals like a 1975 model with engine trouble...cars like that are a money pit...better to put the $$ into a later model XJ I think.
    I also am aware of the problems with the early models. Most of the time problems start when they expect them to be like their other cars. they are not cuz they are British. I think the Brits had a different idea about what a car is.
    I haven't owned a model that was not a tinker toy. I've had triumphs and MG's to drive and they all required a lot of attention. I still have a yearning for an E-type but they are getting increasingly expensive to purchase, own and operate. The XJS is fine for myself and my wife even thinks it still looks good up on the ramps in the driveway. Till' I get the overheating problem licked that's where it will stay. It is not worth ruining the motor. The V-12 is sophistacted beyond some backyard mechanics. I wish I had a garage to work in so I could do the things to it that I want to do. I sure miss my repair shop. Most of the problems I have encountered with any of the Jag's I've looked at is poor maintenance, neglect and a lot of poor paint.
  • iajagowneriajagowner Member Posts: 2
    I own a 1990 xj6 sovereign, 20k miles - beautiful condition, well cared for, etc.

My question to any mechanical experts out there is regarding my brakes. They squeak. The pads are practically new, as you could imagine with the low miles. Brake system looks good. The squeak I could understand would be a brief squeak that abates as you brake more and harder. But it does not. Any suggestions?
    Since the car has such low miles it could be one of two things. IMHO I'd take the brake pads out and replace them with a new high quality set. Before I installed them I would put on the old blue goo (antisquealing compound). My experience has shown that low mile cars with original equipment have a tendency to have residue impended and contaminated the pads. Sounds strange but replacement has usually taken care of the squeal. While your at the job, look at the calipers and see if they are retracting properly after you release the brakes, they may be sticking. A close examination will tell you a lot about the condition of the calipers. Since the car has so few miles I would also change out the brake fluid to eliminate any moisture in the system. Sounds llike a complete brake job but it is easy to do.
    I agree with you about a nwer Jag. Ford has improved the new models greatly. I do think your correct in that a lot of people go in with their wallets and hearts open and their eyes closed.

Since you owned an older Jag you know what they are like.

Since this posting is mainly for XJS info I have a Question about the convertible top. Is there a way to change the headliner without replacing the entire top like the Jag dealer informed me. I seems that the thing is in two pieces but can't find any info about replacement liners for the things unless it is a newer model. Any truth to
    that story. I would like some info if at all possible.
    Oh, I think you can replace the headliner but the labor involved makes it somewhat of a dubious approach financially...since the top is off, everything is apart, etc., it makes sense to go the whole route and do the top I think. I don't have the numbers in front of me, and I'm sure it's not cheap, but unless your current top is A-1 perfect, I don't think I'd personally go through the trouble of just replacing the headliner. But again, I'm just guessing here that buying a new top (exclusive of all the labor and small parts) would only be another $600-800 over replacing the headliner alone. This would be the case, for instance, with a Mercedes SL.
  • waltbellwaltbell Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I'm considering the purchase of a 1993 XJ6 with 50,000 miles. It is very clean and seems to start & drive fine.

The seller is asking $14,900. I think he would sell it for $14,000 to $14,500.

This car would be the primary vehicle for my
    wife. But I will probably keep a 3rd spare car.

I have not owned a Jaguar before and have heard about many reliability/maintenance problems.

I've read all of the posts in this forum and read all of the stuff I could find at:
    www.Jag-lovers.org/modern

It sounds like that by 1993/94 some of the problems from the late 80's had been resolved.

I don't do much with vehicle repair just oil & filter changes, spark plug replacement, air filter changes etc.

I thought I'd try to locate a Jaguar speciality repair shop & have them look at it prior to purchase. Should I have ask them to look for something in particular or just let them do a pre-purchase check ?

I'd like any advice/opinions on things to look for or anything you think would be helpful.

Thanks very much,

Walt Bell
  • sparks6sparks6 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 92 XJ6 Sovereign with 60k miles and I am completely in love with the car. This is my first Jag and the suspension seems a little "bouncy." Back seat passengers complained that the car is too rough, throwing them up and down. I noticed it when I test drove it, but since I was hanging on to the steering wheel didn't really get the full effect, although it concerned me, but not enough to keep me from closing the deal. Shock absorbers seem ok when the car is parked. If I gave the rear bumper a good bounce in the parked position it seems very firm. Salesman told me, as of course one would, that the bouncy ride is because its a jag, not a caddy. I checked out the car in every other respect - no problems. Is this boucny feel typical, or is it my first big wallet buster? Also, any ideas on the difference between the "Sport" suspension and "regular?" I can flip the switch but I can't tell much difference.

Thanks for the comments. And I still love my Jag.
  • swalker67swalker67 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering the purchase of an XJR - not sure if the year is 95 or 96 but the price is around $24,000 and the mileage is about 45,000. I don't know anything at all about this car and was wondering if there is a reason NOT to buy it!

Thanks
    Sandy
    Not really any reason, no...but based on past history I myself would plan to sell it at around 100,000.....Jaguars seem to get ugly after that, at least statistically (exceptions always pop up, but I like to play the odds). Also, you can expect a pretty bad resale value unless you get a lot of use out of it...so if you're planning to "save" it in the hopes it will be valuable in the future, I wouldn't say that's a good bet. Think of it as a very fine wine that's drinkable now and will not improve with age. Drive and enjoy and pass it on when it begins to fade a little, would be my advice to you.

Last thought---check all the car's service records and see how it's been behaving...if no records are available, consider that suspicious.
  • wonderwickwonderwick Member Posts: 6
    After owning two XJS's,I can only remember two things...the best ride I have ever experienced with the most obscenly cronic repair bills one could imagine. The dealers could give Jags away and still their profit on the parts alone. I would not own another Jag if it was given to me....you can't even store them over the winter
    without having to replace seals in the spring($3800). Buy a 10 year old Mercedes and not only will you have a happier experience...you will get more car for your money and a good resale to boot.
    Sorry to hear about such bad experiences...some people are luckier, but there are enough sad stories around to make one want to pay attention to them.

My friend is a highly successful dealer of luxury cars, and he has a very high business standard...so, in order to keep that standard of customer satisfaction, he now has given up selling jaguars entirely. This doesn't mean he doesn't like them (used to drive one himself)...he just feels he cannot stand behind them legally and ethically as used cars. He got beat up too many times. Something to ponder.
  • sparks6sparks6 Member Posts: 2
    I would like to respond to my earlier post in which I asked myself the question, "Is this my first big wallet buster?"

The answer is unequivocally, YES!

In fact, bending over for that one was so refreshing that as soon as I can scrape together enough money to fill the tank with (premium) gasoline I am going to go for a long ride in the country.

That Jag is one beautiful car, stunning inside and out. Ride, handling, SPEED, creature comforts, all excellent. You can call me crazy but every time I turn the key in the ignition I hope the road goes on forever.

And I won't be returning to this web site. I'll be out driving my Jag.

What a car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    but you forgive her a lot when you turn the key. I try and be practical with cars, and I bought my XJ-S knowing that there would be times when I hated it - and there have. But there is nothing to compare with driving one of these cars. You perform advanced yoga to get behind the wheel, nervously look at the temperature guage every other second and try and forget that the engine has a special chassis lubrication feature. Then you find a stretch of open road and, oh my.......

I have been fortunate enough to drive quite a lot of different cars in my time, but nothing compares to a Jag. Yes I'm biased, and yes my English upbringing has something to do with it, but these cars have a rare ability to make people smile - and regardless of the brand, Jags for me, Alfas for Mr. S, and countless other brands for other people, that is the reason why some cars will always live on - I just can't get excited about the driving experience of a Japanese econobox.
    I've always liked Jags, too...my major reason for not owning one anymore is that I like sportscars and Jaguar hasn't built one for a long, long time now. I have owned a 140, 150, E-Type and Mk II sedan. I have enough mechanical ability to cope with the sometimes poor engineering but I don't find driving huge cars all that exciting, Jag or whatever. So my "prejudice" is really about size, not the make of car.

Then, too, I often find myself having to remember that what I would drive I might not recommend to others, and vice-versa. If someone on a budget and $4,000 dollars to their name wants to buy a 70s XJ6 with 150K miles on it and asks me if it's a good idea, I feel obligated to offer a negative opinion, but for a more affluent hobbyist with mechanical talents I might have a different opinion.

I think the people happiest with Jaguars are people who are tolerant, realistic and patient when shopping.
  • geno50geno50 Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone; was just tripping through the galaxy & stumbled on this site.Glad I did. To the Gentleman a few ?? back on buying a 94 XJ-6 for the wife. It's a good auto but in all seriousness have a jag person you trust check it out first. Ford was in control then but you don't ,"see" their influence until 95' when they started bringing back visually to the Ser.3
    style;rounding the front& rear lines & going back to 4 sep.headlamps,etc.
    Never thought I'd see the day when
    Ford or any other Detroit firm would not screw
    up a classic. By the by : the squared models =
    88' to 93/94 are the Series 4 . Ford has continued to amaze as the line is only looking better ea. year , although the XK8 or whatever was a dissapointment for me ,not enough XKE .
    Approx.4+yrs. ago I did the unimagineable
    due to a serious MVA I gave up small 2 seaters & bought an 84 XJ-6 from a neighbor.
    He's they type you'd by from as he's meticulous about his cars .I grew up ni sports car country New England & when if you owned a jag you also owned a mech. or he owned you . Always loved them visually but couldn't trust them . I did however take some rides in more than a few classic jags .Incredible machines ! But I became a Porsche fanatic & still am. Anyways thats another story . So I take a flyer on this 84 xj 6 &
    it's been an incredible car. Started with 77k mi.
    now have 109k & it's held up very,very well. Only the normal stuff for a 16yr.old Brit .The 4.0L six is a great engine & the rest of the car is remarkable too. Except for the serious rust
    problem developing due to close proximity to the pacific.
    So thats how I found you'all as I'm starting the dreaded search for a newer car. I wasn't considering a Jag. only because most of the ser.3's out there are getting worn & the new ser.5's still a bit pricey. But in my search I stumbled apon a possibility since I need more
    uncertanty in my life (yeah right ! ) .
    Since it's almost not argeable that
    the XKE was one if not the most beautiful of
    of all open 2 seaters ever produced . I also am of the belief the the XJ-S Coupe is one of the most beautiful Grand Touring Coupes ever built. So I'll cut to the chase . I'm looking at the 94' or 95' XJ'S 2 dr. Coupe with the 6 cyl.
    NOT the V-12.
    Any suggestions ? Warnings ? Advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks all
    Sounds like you're on the right track and you know enough to steer away from the 12 cylinder. Are you a tall person, or rather someone with a tall torso, waist to head? If so, you're going to have a rough time in an XJ-S, especially one with the sunroof. So keep an eye out for that and check the clearance.

Other than the usual advice about buying low miles and having a good diagnostic, the only other thing that comes to mind is that you should pay as little as possible, as these cars are destined for serious depreciation, going by current evidence. (could change down the road, but...).
    First thing I'd suggest is go to
    www.jag-lovers.org and sign up for the XJ-S mailing list. You will joing many of us crazy enough to own this car and also be introduced to Kirby Palm, author of 'the book' on the XJ-S - also available free of charge at jag-lovers.

Be prepared for most of us are not only crazy enough to own an XJ-S, we also are crazy enough to own 12 cyls, but there are some 6cyl guys as well. This is a wealth of knowledge, and will also be invaluable as a money saver when you have problems with your car.

I agree with Mr. S regarding height - my coupe doesn't have a sunroof, but I have to sit down in the seat (I'm 6'2").
  • lora5lora5 Member Posts: 2
    I would like some advice. I purchased a 1992 xj6 souverign today, it has 112,079 miles on it. The dealer said it was previously owned by a physician. The dealer said he just replaced the oil pressure guage, I looked at the engine, there was some oil residue but appeared to be the normal amount for a 9 year old car. The car is very clean has a phone. The dealer put on new tires and new brakes. I did feel some pull as I test drove the car to the right. I did a long test drive. I did talk with another dealer and an owner who said the repairs could be expensive.I was thinking before purchase if routine maintaince was done maybe these would be minimal. However I did not find this site until today and now I am scared to death that I have a car that will overheat, or cause a serious accident or worse have a HIGH repair bill. I at this point plan to return it to the dealer tomorrow as it is within the 24 hr time frame. Is there anyone who can reassure me that I made a sound decision and alay some of my fears. Thank you
  • geno50geno50 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the feedback Mr.S. & Andy . A few years back I tested a coupe & no height problems as I right at 6'ft. Andy same day we connected I found the Jag site and signed up for the XJS letter , but thank you for the tip.
    When I picked up my XJ-6 I had several friends who were jag. people & I got hip to the engine swap = 350 chevy BLA BLA BLA !
    That's something I could never do with
    any car I have ever owned . I love the V-12 ; as many years ago I drove my best friends 1972
    XKE -12 & must admit having driven alot of cars including a 72 Lambourgini Miaura : The
    Jag actually scared me. But too many friends had warned me off of the 12 & I've learned the hard way over the years , so now I listen .
    As I'm finding out Coupes are not
    common , & open tops are common here so I may have to change my plan. Truth is I really do not like Conv.'s. Out here I would fry during the day & they really only work for me after sundown. But we'll see. Also dealers are asking for pretty good $$ for these cars so I may keep my 6 longer than expected .

Thanks again all & have a safe & great 4th

geneo
    Well if you are that set on a coupe, get in touch of list - I am always willing to listen to offers - though there is a sizeable distance between us.

lora5,

Outside of the 24 hour time frame for my response I'm afraid, but here goes anyway. The 6 is not prone to as many problems as the 12, so that is a help. Overheating may be a problem depending upon how well maintained the cars has been - if you see a lot of Jaguar dealer stamps in the log book then you should be prepared fro problems - but that said a new rad is only about $300 - call it $500 with taxes, labour and system flush.

Serious accidents - well, no more than any other car I wouldn't have thought, as long as you keep the car maintained by someone who knows what they are doing.

Don't expect another 100,000 miles from the car, don't try and cut corners on maintenance, don't try and cut corners on maintenance and don't try and cut corners on maintenance (are you seeing a trend here?). You shouldn't have any more problems that any other high mileage car that is as complex as the Sovereign.
    Yep, you got that right...maintenance is the key to any kind of success with these cars. Most American drivers are not used to giving a car regular and thorough maintenance. I've found in my personal experience that most 5-6 year old cars driven in America are under-maintained--fortunately for the drivers, the majority of the Japanese and American cars they drive can stand a lot of abuse but are often ready for the scrap heap at 125-150K (or sooner!).

Luxury cars, on the other hand, are complex and while they may not break all that often normally, their systems need attention, or all hell will break loose sooner or later. Most Jaguar problems are due to bad service, and the rest of the problems due to some pretty bad engineering (good concepts but poorly executed). This often happens in a cash poor company, understandably. They're always "making do". Now with Ford's money, this *seems* to be changing. So they can test and modify things like engines before loosing them on the public and having you and me test them!
  • lora5lora5 Member Posts: 2
    After I purchased the car, I found this website and was frightened to death by some of the comments I read. After seeking sos advice, I came back to the site and re-read, this time in my anxiety state I was able to see that there were some positive comments made. Mr. Shiftright I note your comment about maintence and I had come to this conclusion as well, to keep up the maintence. And I agree with the other comments about the car not being much more expensive to maintain than other cars. I have bookmarked this site and will follow. I looked for 6 months for a good used car within a reasonable price range, I did not buy impulsively in a sense. I decided to keep the car and expect the best. One last thing related to the car overheating for example, does the overheating problem occur from taking long trips or because the radiator needs replacing.
    Thanks.
    Jags have two major causes of overheating.

If the car overheats at speed on the open road then you have problems with your cooling system. In all probability this is because the car has been serviced by Jaguar and the system had something called Barrs Leaks put in it. This was designed to block small leaks in the cooling system - and it worked well. Unfortunately the product is little more than ground up nut shells and it was also very good at blocking the radiator. There are three possible cures (don't let anyone tell you that there are cheaper, quicker options, I bet my XJ-S to your dollar that they won't work).

1) Rod the radiator
    2) Core the radiator
    3) Replace the radiator

All involve fairly major surgery and the removal of the radiator - the cost increases as you move down the list, but guess what, so does the effectiveness of the solution. You will also need to flush the system when the rad is removed, and I would install cooling system filters as well (Gano seem to be the filter of choice). These will need to be cleaned regularly for the first couple of months.

If on the other hand the car overheats when sitting in traffic the problem is probably caused by a slipping fan clutch - it needs to be replaced. Also check the hub and blades of the fan - they have a tendency to crack. If there is any sign of damage to the fan - replace it, trust me you don't want it to fail whilst you are driving the car.
  • smn2smn2 Member Posts: 1
    Would it make any sense to buy a 1990 XJ6 4-door, or will there be problems. It's selling for $2500 and I've driven in it twice. The car rides fine, but there might be problems with the iginition and distributor. The seller says it was never serviced and it had its first tune-up 2 weeks ago. Also it is missing the passenger seat belt, is this expensive to replace. So is this a reasonably priced car that will be good to drive every day, or will maintanance be taking up my time. Is it worth the money? Thanx for any response,
    SIMON
    It sounds very fishy...the price is way too cheap and the car isn't running right. Why is it priced $5,000 under middle book price? And if it's injection problems your in for big money.

I think the owner is hiding something that he knows and you don't.

I'd suggest saving your money and buying the cleanest, best maintained, best running XJ6 you can afford. You don't want a long list of things to fix on a car like this, or you'll be buried in no time.
  • pppyrcikpppyrcik Member Posts: 1
    I currently own an '89 BMW 735il and am considering replacing it. A private party in town is selling a '95 XJ12 with 45K miles and is asking $23,500. The car looks and drives great. I would appreciate any words of advice, warning or encouragement. Thanks!
    You might want to read the posts in this topic...I think spending 15-20 minutes would give you a wealth of information regarding your question. There is a "see all responses" link at the top of this page, just below the topic header, next to the little "JUMP" window.

Aside from all you'll learn, I'd bargain on the price, as Jaguars do not bring high book price, more toward the wholesale book.
    The 95 12cyl is a 6.0. These weren't produced for very long and so you can expect some difficulties (and money) in getting replacement parts when (not if) you need them.

That said - the 6.0 is a lot more reliable than the 5.3 - and 95 is a lot better than earlier years.
  • peter_cohenpeter_cohen Member Posts: 1
    If Geneo is still looking for a late XJS 6 cylinder coupe, check out www.texas-cars.com.
    They have a blue 95 coupe with 45,000 miles for $19,950.

I have no affiliation with them, I just follow their website, since they seem to have the best Jaguar deals and they will arrange shipping. I know of someone in Portland, Oregon who bought a car from them & had it shipped and was satisfied, but I don't have any other info.
    From the pictures it looks like a car in fairly good condition - though let's not lose sight of the fact that it has 82k on it. There are a couple of things that make me nervous.

Firstly it still has the original fan (the yellow one), after 82,000 miles I would guarantee that you can find cracks in it - replace it or be prepared to find out how much damage it can do to the inside of a Jaguar engine compartment when it comes apart.

Secondly, it has been dealer serviced. That means Barrs Leaks in the cooling system, and that means a radiator that needs rodding, coring or more probably replacing. It also means that the cooling system will never be the same again.

Thirdly check for any gaps in the mileage history. These cars have transmission mounted transponders to record speed and mileage and the transponders often fail. If there is a period where the car doesn't appear to put on many miles be very suspicious.

Everything looks right, from what I can see from the pictures everything looks original, though I think that there should be a cover for the spare. Rust probably isn't a problem in a Texas car, but check the bottom corners of windscreen and back window for any bubbling under the chrome.

The 6 cylinders command more money than the 12s, so the price is probably fair, though shifty is more of an expert on US pricing than I am.
    I myself would never buy a car like this sight unseen of course. I presume an inspection is part of your buying process?

Thanks for the good tips, Andy.
  • kmalik01kmalik01 Member Posts: 1
    A gentleman is selling a 91 v12 xjs coupe, "classic limited collector's edition" as he calls it, 44,500 miles, cherry red, excellent condition, bought only one month ago and now changed his mind and wishes to sell it to me for his purchase price of $12,500. What's wrong with this picture???????????? Was this a good year and make? Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know anything about jags except that the V12 Coup sure looks pretty. Can you guide me please?
    Kal
    Well now this could be quite a car. Cherry red, collectors edition, 1991 - sounds very much like it could be the 'Celebration' model. Of course there are a lot of XJ-S coupes out there claiming to be celebrations that just flat out aren't. But if it is genuine then it is a very nice car - if you can post some pics I can give you a better idea.

As for not knowing much about Jags - well, read this topic and if you decide to go for it after that get involved at www.jag-lovers.org and download Kirbert Palm's guide to the XJ-S 'The Book'.

The price isn't that great, but not bad if it is a genuine Celebration, the guy wanting to turn it around that quickly suggests that he may have found some problems. At the risk of sounding like a broken record - cooling, mileage, electrical for starters.

By 91 the XJ-S was getting better, but it still has problems, this is going to be an expensive car to maintain, especially with the V12. Shifty will tell you to reckon on about $150 a month for maintenance and think yourself lucky if that is all it costs - a set of cooling hoses will set you back over $1,000 for starters (there are 22 of them).

That said, there is nothing quite like the feeling of driving a smooth running V12 XJ-S, and the celebration is an eye catcher, though not quite to my personal taste.

If you decide to buy, make sure you can afford to maintain it properly, have it inspected by someone who knows these cars before you buy it, and if paying a premium for a special edition make sure that it is as it claims to be.

If you want some more info contact me off list - and if you have a VIN I will try and find out a little more for you using some Jaguar resources.
    Send me an e-mail for now - andy_jordan@mail.com

I have suffered brain fade since I wrote that note - I am now not sure on the date for the celebration - there was a 'Rouge' edition available in 1990 - not sure whether 91 as well - oh well.

Send me an e-mail and I will try and assist.
  • gkelly3gkelly3 Member Posts: 38
    I am looking at a 1988 XJ-6, my questions:
    suppose I wanted to (a) replace the AT with a GM unit (b) replace the Lucas alternator with a GM equivilent, and (c) replace the AC with a more modern system-would this guarantee me a reliable JAG? Also, with regard to the rust-what would it cost me to sandblast, re-undercoat, and rsutproff? The idea is to bring this car up to year 2000 standards-is it worth the expense, or am I better off buying a newer JAG?
    Forget it. You won't get a better car and you'll be so financially buried in it you might as well buy a newer one. A modified Jag is just a '[non-permissible content removed]" car that nobody wants, and I don't blame them!
    Its an odd car to start with - and yo'll certainly not get your money back.

There is a guy on the Jag-Lovers list who sells manual conversions for Jags (XJ-S, but he is just starting to get into sedans - he has a website - www.keislerauto.com - but it's not cheap.

As far as the rest is concerned - I have no idea on costs, but the Lucas upgrade is probably not a bad idea. 88 was the time that ignitions switched from Lucas to Marelli I believe. As far as the A/C upgrade is concerned - the stock warnings about cooling system capacity apply.

As far as the bodywork goes - I have no clue and don't want to comment.

What I will say is that this would definitely NOT guarantee you a reliable Jag. You are still left with a 12 year old car, only this time you will have sunk a ton of money into it which you will never see any kind of reasonable return on - there are nicer cars out there for the money it would cost.
    I can't imagine why you'd want to have a stickshift in a car like that anyway. This is a big luxury car that is designed to be smooth and quiet and stable. It's not meant to be driven like a sportscar or to have a big American V8 rumbling around under the hood.
    is that the performance of the older cars is held back by the three speed tranny - if you are going to replace that then people feel that a stick shift is a good idea. Some people lose all semblance of reality and put Supra boxes in - go figure!!

Personally I agree that there isn't much point, but Jaguar caused this to some degree by not having a sportscar since the E-type.

Roll on the XKF!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.