Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LX 470

Comments

• marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    off topic, but I know of no other place to ask... where can I get info on Mark Levinson home stereo setups???...if they make them for cars like Lexus, then all of their units probably do not sell for "hundreds of thousands of dollars" like the ads seem to say...
  • luckylouluckylou Member Posts: 308
    I am well versed on TOYOTA products,I had owned several of them : 1980 Corona,1984 and 1988 Camry,1992 Corolla and 1998 Avalon.I mention this because I am torn between the LX and the LC, and I am not the only one.Sadly, the bottom line is the bottom line. I 'm a buyer ready to buy but can't decide,I'll keep reading this site till it hit me like a 2 by 4. I will keep all posted . Thank you.
  • edwardt1edwardt1 Member Posts: 20
    You can find info @marklevinson.com
    However you will not find pricing
    info. These products are carried only
    by very high end audio retailers.
    They are rather expensive. There
    products are aimed at audiophiles
    who willing to pay any price in search
    of audio nirvana.
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Try audioconnection.com

Bigmissy - controls on the wheel, a camera to look at what is behind the truck, a bigger v-8 and the night vision are important to me. The dvd entertainment system is crucial for my kids.
    There will be big changes to the truck in 2005 from what I've been told.
  • macwndsurfmacwndsurf Member Posts: 1
    i READ ABOUT A FEW PEOPLE ON THE WEST COAST FINDING A SHOP TO PERFORM THE BYPASS. ANY LUCK IN NEW ENGLAND? i BELIEVE A POST BY RANDYBECKER SUGGESTED HE WAS LOOKING. ANY SUCCESS. THANKS
  • scuz2scuz2 Member Posts: 6
    I've got a 99 LX 470 with 70K miles. Do I need to change the timing belts? What other major stuff should I look for? I've had the 60K service done.
    By the way Shane Palmer does not work at the Palm Beach dealership anymore. I got a quote for a new LX470 with the following options Mark Levinson,Roof Rack,Rear Spoiler,Wheels Locks,Cargo Mats,Cargo Net. MSRP is $65603.00 and sale price is $59795.00 plus tax,license and dealer prep. What is dealer prep? Is this a good price? Opinions are most welcome. Thank you.
  • katana2katana2 Member Posts: 35
    Luckylou try carbuyingtips.com to find info on dealer prep. Does your price on the LX include a trade? Just curious.
    No trade in.
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    I almost purchased an 03 LX during "December to remember" but went with an 03 Navigator. Your quote seems in line with what I saw here in South Florida during my shopping. The remaining '02's were going for 54K, the 03's for high 50's low 60's with almost no negotiating involved. If you want to and are able to haggle hard, you can get this truck for less than 59K here in S. Fla.

If it were me I would offer $59,000 plus tax, tag and a reasonable dealer prep (less than $300 is MORE than enough). If they insist on 7-800 bucks for dealer prep then your offer goes down to $58,300 etc. I'd offer to buy the truck TODAY if they agree to these terms. The LX's are great vehicles but their high price makes them slow movers and you'd be surprised what a high volume dealer will do to move them out of the lot. If you need leverage, head south a few minutes to JM Lexus in Margate. My experience with them was that they will do whatever it takes (within reason)to make a sale. Check out their website and you can get an instant email quote... then subtract about $1,500 - 2K from that quote and they'll probably go with it (they did with me). The important thing is that you let them know you are a serious, TODAY buyer and you'll have them itching to get your business.

When I decide to get a Lexus SUV (probably when the rumored LX redesign comes out in a few years) I'll definitely go there. If they know you are a serious buyer, they'll make it happen.
    Good Luck!!
    Thank you for your post. I am going to counter their offer.Not only I am a serious buyer but I love to haggle I got the time.I haven't bought a new vehicle in a while, that's why I am very careful. I sent several emails to Lexus dealers here in Florida. I wll keep you guys posted. Thank you.
    Had many quotes on the LX470, but most of them are barely kissing the MSRP. Even on the emails you get the old song and dance story. I liked the $$$ amount you suggested I will run it by them,I I'll keep you posted. Thank you.
  • stacystacy Member Posts: 91
    You have a great price.Looking at around 1000 over invoice (approx.) Dont know about dealer prep. However, here in So. Cal these trucks are very hard to get. Even with so many dealers here folks are paying top dollar and waiting to get them. I would grab it up. They are making far fewer of this car bcz of the popularity of GX ( which I personally feel is too much like the RX to be worth it) The new tranny and wheels make the '03 vehicle handle much better than the 02's. 2 years from now a new redesign should not affect car value too much. Lexus holds its own. For the best ride/tire try to get the Michelins first (they will last the longest w/ good ride), then Bridgestones (they will last the shortest with the best ride), last the Dunlops ( the worst of the lot). Hope this helps.
    Thank you. I am going to offer the dealer exactly what you mention. The dealer might go for it if two LX's are involved.
    Luckylou, I'm not surprised you are not getting too far with emails. Sound familiar: "I am a commissioned sales person, not a charity worker" or "I am working hard to earn your business and am struggling hard with my manager to get you the best price but I cannot perform miracles" or my favorite : "you have champaign tastes with a budget for coca-cola" hehe.

Seriously though, the dealerships you are working with are probably afraid to give you their best price and then lose you to another dealership who'll undercut them by a couple hundred bucks. If you are not getting anywhere with the sales staff, bypass them and ask to speak to a manager. It is NOT a fun process -- in fact, it is a major pain. To get things moving I'd offer your favorite dealer whatever you think is a good deal for you and then offer to complete the transaction on that SAME DAY -- i.e. "If you can accept 59K (including dealer prep -- plus tax tag, etc.) I will be there at 2pm to close the deal in person. Another brand car dealership may say yes just to get you in the lot and then start playing games with you, but I doubt Lexus will do that to you. Also, if by chance you are a current Lexus owner make sure they know this. From what I understand many Lexus dealers around the country don't budge too much on price, but here in South Fla they do -- and supplies for every model are just fine. Your best bets price wise will probably be JM Lexus in margate Fla or CountyLine Lexus in Miami.

Worst case though, I agree with Stacy that you've got a decent original deal and might spare yourself some antacid costs by accepting it. Either way, you are going to love this truck! Good Luck!
    I remember when I was younger (or less old) the notion of buying a new car was always present ,whether I could afford it or not ,in a NEW YORK minute I would be at the dealer. Now I dwell over and over if the LX470 is for me or not.... Speaking of remembering ,does the LX470 has as many skid plates as the LAND CRUISER ? Thank you.
    After 15 minutes talk the price went down to $59500.00 with the Mark Levinson package plus dealer prep (495.00) ,plus license (new tag) 225.00 and sales tax of 0.06% . I had a very pleasant and friendly dealing with LEXUS OF PALM BEACH very professional on emails and telephones . It seems a very good deal ,but still is a lots of tamales. This dealer gave the best deal the only draw back is the 150 miles drive(one way) . Thank you for all the advice.
    You're right.. lots of tamales for that new ride, but from what I've seen, the LX 470 is worth every single one of them! Have fun and drive safe... that LX can get you to 90++mph and you won't even feel it!
  • book2book2 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought 2000 LX470, just love it. The only thing I don't like is the fact that it sits about an inch or so higher in the back. Is it possible to raise the front a half inch or so and lower the back the same to have it sit level? I believe the height control goes back to the default on normal setting at about 20 mph or so. They make devices to compress coil springs, but will this mess up the auto load lever by raising it back to factory settings. Can the torsion bars be used to raise the front or will that compromise ride quality? It seems there should be some way to re-adjust the sensors so the vehicle would sit level. Anyone with any info please post or email tebbook@attbi.com
    Thanks
    Lucky you! The LX is just nicer - quieter, more appointments, etc., than the LC. Drive them again if you are unsure. Worth the extra $ YES. Plus you get lexus service, not toyota trouble. 150 miles? I'm sure they will deliver it to your home or business. Drive it before you sign the papers - make sure its for you. Then do all paperwork signing. The rest can be done over fax or phone. Thats the way to buy a car. In the comfort of your own home. Its what I have done and the experience is the best. Are you serious about .06% sales tax? Here its 7.75%. Also, are there so many LX's out there that you have your choice of colors or are you going to just get what they have in stock?
    Thank you for your vote of confident . In certain part of Florida the sale tax is 6% or 0.06 , 100% is the same as 1.00 I don't mean to be rude on the math subject. Yes, 150 miles around 2 hours or more , one way. Colors are limited to the region that's what I have been told ( gray , black , white , beige ) . We would prefer the dark or gray interior, because of our four legged angels. What part of the country are you ? You seems to have a good knowledge of the intricacy of the automobile business. Thank you
    Ahh - but you wrote initially .06%, thus my confusion. I live in socal. Husband requires blue vapor. I will primarily be his car as I drive Denali XL. I guess this color is harder to get in parts of Florida. I also want gray interior because of my three 2-legged angels(well, they are not always angels), the beige is very light. We get new cars every few years and I just got tired of getting taken advantage of at the dealer - so I just educated myself about the business. This site really helps and of course, the town hall is filled with folks who are kind enough to spend the time to share.
    Stacy I totally concur . Sorry for the confusion I can tell you I am no expert on this matter. Got a deposit for a eucalyptus mica with gray interior ,the only option was the Mark Levinson . The dealer said they only received two of this color divided into 40 dealers. The price did not went up . A few weeks ago we were leaning toward the TLC , but could not get the color we wanted the black garnet with dark interior. Because of the gas prices going up, I thought my wife would be against this purchased but she said ,that we hardly drive half the distance that we used to . We loved the comfort of the LX 470 is our first LEXUS. Than you.
    I know there is pros and cons about the daylights running lights ( DRL ). Does any one on this post knows how to disable them on the LX470 ? I could use you help. Thank you.
    Have the dealer do it for you. Lexus accomodates everything. However, I feel its much safer to have them on. They do not blind anyone and are just so people can see you coming easier than without them on.
    Stacy I agree , but LEXUS should give us the choice and install a on and off switch . During fog or down pours lots of drivers don't turn their lights on because they know they have DRL. When does the tailights get in the picture ? Is extremely dangerous not being able to see the vehicle in front of yours . Someone came up with half of an idea ,that does not work. Thank you.
    Luckylou you have the identical LX I'm lusting for!!! Eucalyptus with grey interior and Mark Levinson what a vehicle. When do you take delivery? Did you get a good price? The last I saw you were at $59,500.
    This color is rare they needed to order it, actually it was 59500.00 plus dealer prep 495. 00 and new tag 225.00 , plus tax. I checked many LEXUS dealers in Florida and LEXUS of Palm Beach had the best deal, with the Mark Levinson package . The whole experience have been either Emails or telephone calls . Don't know about delivery yet. Thank you.
  • drcaldrcal Member Posts: 10
    hello all - I took the plunge and purchased a 2000 lx470 with the NAK and roof rack. I'm very pleased with it and thank all of you for your helpful views.

I will be utilizing the vehicle to tow a 3500 lb boat. Has anybody installed an after market tow hitch? Are there any ones that don't spoil the looks of the back end? Should I go with a lexus or toyota product? Thanks in advance for your input.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Towing tips for SUVs has some tips in it that you may find of interest.

Steve, Host
  • gatorhawkgatorhawk Member Posts: 23
    i too am interested in and looking at a 2000 lx. what did you get, options, etc? how much? how many miles?
    thanks in advance.
    gator
    hi guys , by now you would think ,i would know when this rare color will arrive ( eucalyptus mica with gray interior, I don't . IT 's a matter of attrition . I' ll keep you guys posted . Thank you..
    The internet fleet manager can find out when one is on a boat to Florida (or in a dealership close by) and do a dealer trade. There are lots of boats coming to east coast. The boat dealer trade is what we did, so no diff. shipping fee. Problem is, many dealers dont want to do this extra work and would rather wait to order one for you or "preference it" (they call it) or try to do a dealer trade on an LX they want to sell and have in stock already not with your specs. Hope this helps.
    Read your post on GX board but here is where I will answer since it regards LX. We got our LX on Wednesday. Beautiful Blue Vapor with Gray Interior. Most come with the beige interior. Super happy with it. Gorgeous. With the IFL checking for you it should be easy to find. My IFL said this was the only BV/Gray int. to come into the west coast spec'd the way I wanted - but he was able to get it (said 7 came in w/beige int). The one you want will either be on a boat or going to be shipped. Believe me they can find out. If the car you want is not presold they can boat trade for one they are going to get. Also, there is always a possibility that the person who put the deposit on it (presold) will change their mind and the IFL will still be able get it - only you might have to pay a little extra for shipping. Im sure there are enough dealers in FL that the shipping wont be more than a few hundred bucks for the color combo, specs you want. Good Luck.
    Thank you again ,I enjoy reading your posts I learned alot , you inform and teach instead of being argumentative and can also say that about a few others .
     Our second choice of color is also the VB with gray interior. By the way can I pick your brain again , we have several ways to deal with payment of the LX , but we got a call from the finance manager of LEXUS of Palm Beach offering us 4.77 % for 60 months . Is this a good rate ? Thank you.
    Luckylou, I heard on the radio that Lexus was offering 3.9% interest. However I didn't hear if it applied to the LX470 or selected models.
    You are right , it applies to the RX300 but not to the LX470 , today I should hear from the dealer about the color allocation I hope is good news. Do you think that 4.77% for 60 months is good deal or not ? Thank you .
    For a vehicle like the LX470 - 4.77% is an excellent rate. The RX is being displaced shortly by the newer model - hence the incentive rate - to keep them moving. Lexus doesn't have a hard time moving LX's.
    Thank you for your comments this might be the avenue I ' ll take once I know about the arrival of the LX that we order , we still waiting to hear from the dealer . I will call them in the morning and I will keep you guys posted .
    Thanks for the kind words. I think that 4.77 is a great rate for 60 months. You might check Costco (online its costco.com(or other wherehouse type clubs) for a better rate - you can do this online. I know you can definitely do better with a shorter payoff time. The rate we were offered was 5.99 for 60 months, which I thought was OK, but we decided not to finance.
  • drcaldrcal Member Posts: 10
    Gatorhawk,

Sorry for the delayed response. I was able to find a 2000 lx with 52000 miles with the Nak and Rack for 35K from a private party. It is in excellent condition.

Good luck in your search!
    This morning got a call from the dealer our second choice was available vapor blue ,that was great , but the tan or ivory interior was not . As expensive this vehicle is we need at least to get the correct combination of colors .
     Stacy : My wife and I still debating which way to go in the finance or leasing or paying off , with the impending war looming above our heads we don't feel at is tying so much money in one basket .
     Thank you .
    Make sure you run the numbers accurately on a buy vs. lease. My LX470 would only have saved me $450 (even after bank application fee) if I had bought it outright vs leasing and buying it out at lease end. That is not a bad premium to pay to ensure you will want to keep the vehicle.

No matter what you are doing - you should buy the color that pleases you. But keep in mind that if you buy a "money" color LX - ivory white, black or cashmere in my model year - it will fetch several thousand dollars more on re-sale than the other colors. Certainly this is not an issue if you lease or intend to hold for more than 6 years or so. But if you may be selling in an intermediate period of time it is something to think about.

This is a fabulous SUV - super luxurious, great ride and comfort, built like a rock and bullet proof - so good luck whichever way you go. By the way it handles 15" of snow effortlessly.
    For 2003 what would be the " money " colors ? We always follow the maintenance schedule to keep our vehicles in good running condition and specially change oil and filter between 3000 and 4000 miles I use synthetic oil Mobil 1 . We own a 1998 Toyota Avalon and a 1990 Honda Accord we normally keep our vehicles for awhile . Thank you for your advice .
    In my opinion - blizzard pearl, black, sand dollar are sure bets and the gray is a possibility. I'm surprised Lexus dropped the riverrock green, which actually looked like a medium to dark gray with greenish pigment - that was a knockout color in this SUV. It was also quite popular on the Landcruiser.

Please don't let my opinion sway you - you should buy the color you like most. I have the cashmere but if I was buying today I like the blizzard pearl or the black (with ivory interior). Lexus ivory or ecru interiors (the latter is probably not offered on the LX) are very cheerful.
    ljflx , my two closes LEXUS dealers the only colors they got are the sand dollar and the black both with ivory interior . As anxious as my wife and I are in purchasing the LX470 we might choose the galactica gray with gray interior the dealer in Palm Beach county in Florida has a few with this combination . We don't have children but we got children with four legs that's the reason for dark interior . Of course we have not seen the galactica gray , the LX470 brochure give no justice to any of the colors . Once again thank your opinion .
    The ash gray interior on the LS430 is stunning. If the one you like is the same interior as that on the LS430 (looks like it to me) than it would also be one of my favorites. I like the gray with the gray interior very much but would have to see it in person to really opt for it in the galactic gray. But that's just me. It's most likely a money color particularly with that gray interior. I would not opt for the ivory interior with the galactic gray. Hold out for that ash gray - you will be happy with that interior. It is not that dark of an interior so it will be upbeat and hide the dirt at the same time.

Good luck
    Now that I think about it I did see the galactic gray on the road. The truck looks great in that color. But get that ash interior. It'll be a great combo. Can't you just order it?

Again - Good luck. You'll get it.
    ljflx , actually the exterior color we really want is the eucalyptus mica as our first choice and the vapor blue as the second . Early this evening I spoke with the sales person at LEXUS about the galactica gray he says , is like graphite , very dark gray exterior. The color we want are rare , but we are in no rush so will wait for the correct color. Thanks for your thoughts

p.s. My Honda Accord of 13 years is also gray I need a break from gray colors.
    IMO galactic gray is gorgeous, but a new color and dont know if it will stay. Also, cheaper LC comes in same color. If that matters to you. Money colors. Well, every dealer, every person for that matter, has their opinion. Black is hard to sell out here. Swirl problem if make one bad wax/polish choice plus you must keep it clean (also comes in LC). White is always popular and very pretty, I think will be easiest on resell, but it only comes w/ tan interior. (I also think its more of a woman's color but thats personal, it would have been my first choice but our LX is primarily my husband's car) Beige - hard to sell out here, not $ color IMO. Check out LC as well many beiges out there. As for me, VB and EM both hide dirt well, c/h gray interior, and they make less of them. VB only comes on Lex, not LC. Also, regarding the $ color problem, if someone, like my husband for example, wants that color only, its only that color that will do. And for this type of $, even used, get the color you want.
    Tell me, why wont they tell you when your car will be in? It is not a hard or long process to find out whats in transit.